Page 3 of 365 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    One of my unfavorites is the old spelling guide poem, "I before E, except after C, or when pronounced A, as in neighbor and weigh." It has so many exceptions that I find it unreliable. How about either, neither, their, science, or place names in the UK such as Leicester or Leith.
    When I was younger, this was how I remembered how to spell "weird". Because it was spelled weirdly.

I have a lot to list, so I'll just stick to some responses.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Another annoyance, increasing in frequency at all levels of writing, is the use of approximate homonyms (spelling it the way it sounds). As more and more communication seems to be by sound and rebus, the idea that vale and veil, for instance, mean different things is disappearing.
    What's worse is phrases. It's one thing when someone has a spelling deficiency and actually pictures what they spell wrong (like writing vale when they picture a face covering).

But, in phrases they are showing that they have absolutely no clue as to how to use it.
    For example:
    For all intensive purposes.
    It has peaked my interest.

Cereals that stay crisp in milk, and are touted as doing so.

So I have to sit around and wait for the cereal to get soggy, ('cause it's better that way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    When people use the wrong "its." Of all the grammar failings I see, it's the one that bothers me most. No, I don't know why.
    For me it's "their", "there" and "they're" and the people who will insist that spellcheckers have made knowledge of spelling moot (which they'll spell mute) after demonstrating that they get those three wrong 6 out of 7 times.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    For all intensive purposes.
    It has peaked my interest.
    Those are the worse examples ever. (See what I did there?)

Sorry, I use to be funnier.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    At least they're not the worsest.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My mother used to try to engage (telemarketers) in conversation ...
    I saw a neat one the other day. A fellow said when he recognized the number as a telemarketer (he must get a lot of traffic) he'd answer the phone, "9-1-1, what is the nature of your emergency?" That was usually followed by a second or two of silence, then a dial tone.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I saw a neat one the other day. A fellow said when he recognized the number as a telemarketer (he must get a lot of traffic) he'd answer the phone, "9-1-1, what is the nature of your emergency?" That was usually followed by a second or two of silence, then a dial tone.
    A trivial annoyance is that I think of the funny-evil thing to do to the telemarketer about 5 seconds after I hang-up the phone on them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post

Sorry, I use to be funnier.
    I use to use a joke book to make use guys laugh.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    A trivial annoyance is that I think of the funny-evil thing to do to the telemarketer about 5 seconds after I hang-up the phone on them.
    When I determine that it's a telemarketer, I say, "can you hold on for a second?", then put down the phone, and go about my business. I come back in a few minutes, and if they are dopey enough to still be on the line, I rinse and repeat.

I've found this most satisfying.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Oh yeah, and bagels as well. When I'm King Of The World, the bakers will be required to either split them all the way or not at all.

I used to have a long list of things I'd require when I become KOTW. Must dig that up and add the mismatched car wheels!
    I would require all DVDs of TV shows to feature a "play all" button. It will also be possible to chapter-skip past the credits and get right to the beginning of the episode.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post
    When I determine that it's a telemarketer, I say, "can you hold on for a second?", then put down the phone, and go about my business. I come back in a few minutes, and if they are dopey enough to still be on the line, I rinse and repeat.

Oh, I know all the tricks. But in the heat of the moment, I never think of them, I just slam down the phone. Thus the annoyance - the annoyance is at myself.

"Her and I have been friends for a long time."

Later, the same person says, "Oh yes, that was just between her and I."

Quote Originally Posted by R.A.F. View Post

This is the best response I've seen to a telemarketer.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

People that drive 5 mph below the speed limit in the left lane of the interstate with their left turn signal on...

People that think merging speed onto the freeway is 40 mph, even when traffic is going 65 mph +

People that think the cruising speed of their RV's on the freeway is either 45mph or 90mph. Nothing in between. I guess because everyone else is driving in between...

Maybe those aren't so trivial, as the above circumstances can result in a serious accident.

Somewhat related to redshifter's post...

When you leave enough distance between you and the car in front of you, (in preparation for sudden stops), and someone takes that space.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    People that drive 5 mph below the speed limit in the left lane of the interstate with their left turn signal on...
    I don't think that's trivial. Similarly, it really bugs me when I am doing the speed limit in the right lane of the Interstate (2 or 3 lanes in each direction) and someone is tailgating me, because they want to speed, and can't (or won't) pass on the left. And no, I don't think its trivial. There is no inalienable right to drive 10 or 15 over the speed limit, and don't take your frustration out on my bumper.

The mention of DVDs earlier prompts me to add this: I am really annoyed that I can't buy a TV, DVR, Blu-Ray, cable box, etc. that operates off of one remote seamlessly. I am also annoyed that I can't get a remote that has good feel with its buttons. These smushy buttons that require you to press and hold to make sure the device picks up your command are frustrating. I want a nice press and click that has good sensory feedback.

Another thing: people that can't take visual cues that you want or need to break off a conversation. This is more a work-related annoyance, but I hate it when people just can't take the hint that I really need to get on to something else and stop me several times as I'm leaving their cube or office so they can carry on trivial conversation.

Mind you, I'm all for trivial conversation, but I notice when others aren't so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    Mind you, I'm all for trivial conversation, but I notice when others aren't so inclined.
    I do now, but I didn't always.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    The mention of DVDs earlier prompts me to add this: I am really annoyed that I can't buy a TV, DVR, Blu-Ray, cable box, etc. that operates off of one remote seamlessly. I am also annoyed that I can't get a remote that has good feel with its buttons. These smushy buttons that require you to press and hold to make sure the device picks up your command are frustrating. I want a nice press and click that has good sensory feedback.
    Maybe my attitude about that sort of thing is influenced in that until I was in my early 30's, I had to get up, cross the room, turn the channel selector (12 channels and not all of them had content), re-finetune for each channel and probably adjust the antenna. Oh yes, I also had a radio/phono/tape player (with no remotes). Fortunately, I never realized I had it so tough.

I now regularly use the seven remotes controlling my home media center and am very glad I have the incredible choice of entertainment toys now available.

When people use span instead of spun.

Or when someone is being made into an escape goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    I never realized I had it so tough.
    We had it good...the 3 major networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, plus PBS!!) and everything that needed to be watched was on those 4 channels.

I now regularly use the seven remotes...
    Only 7?...

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    Maybe my attitude about that sort of thing is influenced in that until I was in my early 30's, I had to get up, cross the room, turn the channel selector (12 channels and not all of them had content), re-finetune for each channel and probably adjust the antenna. Oh yes, I also had a radio/phono/tape player (with no remotes). Fortunately, I never realized I had it so tough.

I now regularly use the seven remotes controlling my home media center and am very glad I have the incredible choice of entertainment toys now available.

My family's first "remote" was a pair of pliers to replace the broken channel knob.

Oh yeah, oblivious people blocking the aisles in the supermarket bug the heck out of me.
    You and me, both. I run into them every Thursday at the commissary...people who seem completely oblivious to the world about them.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Adults who chew and pop gum loudly in public spaces, we have lips for a reason. It don't mind it as much from children for some reason but adults who don't chew with their mouths closed really bother me.
    That one isn't so trivial to me. Lip/food smacking irritates the ever-lovin' stuff out of me. The grooming noises the dog and cats make can even get to me. The Wife snickers when I "psssssst" one of the cats or tell the dog to "knock it off" or "that's enough". Then a few weeks ago, The Wife and I were watching some TV magazine show that included this very subject. A teenage girl had this so bad, she could fly into a rage. The sound of her own mother's voice was the worst at setting her off. It made me realize my irritation isn't so bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by redshifter View Post
    People that think merging speed onto the freeway is 40 mph, even when traffic is going 65 mph +
    This one gets me, too. I frequently wind up behind one of these knuckleheads as I take the on-ramp to begin my morning commute. One person merging so far below the speed of traffic flow is bad enough but when they force 3 or 4 cars behind them to do the same thing...

People that think the cruising speed of their RV's on the freeway is either 45mph or 90mph. Nothing in between. I guess because everyone else is driving in between...
    Yep, I see those all too often on the southbound highway...mostly the slow ones. I especially like the ones that pay little attention to the signs that read, "Delay of 5 Vehicles Illegal - Use Turnouts".

One truly trivial thing that annoys me are the two duplex light switches in my garage that either aren't both up or both down.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

"Of" used in place of "off". I have a hard enough time making sense of words when they're the right words.

There is a round-about in East Aurora, NY where route 20A meets route 28. That is annoying when getting directions.

One trivial thing that bothers me is when people assume that men can't deal with children. I have three kids and I love going out with them, but hate it when people (especially women with no children in view) complement my ability to handle children. It happens so often that I have a gag that I pull on these folks. I tell them how well behaved my *FOUR* children are... in great detail and at length, complete with pointing and naming names. I don't let them get another word in until I walk away. Each one of these people look horrified as I leave, missing a child. Oddly, I have yet to be called on it by an adult.

Children, on the other hand immediately "get it". My kids have all asked "Why do you pretend to have an extra child?" or in one case, a stranger's child asked "Do you have an imaginary friend, too?"
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
    When people use span instead of spun.

Or when someone is being made into an escape goat.
    Is that a mute point?

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I would require all DVDs of TV shows to feature a "play all" button. It will also be possible to chapter-skip past the credits and get right to the beginning of the episode.
    Not just the credits -- how about the ads for movies that are "coming soon to a theater near you!" three summers ago?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Not just the credits -- how about the ads for movies that are "coming soon to a theater near you!" three summers ago?
    I often find those amusing, honestly. Especially when they make a big to-do out of some movie which sank without a trace to critical slams.

This is a complaint I've developed since moving to Washington. There are people here who complain nine months out of the year about how cold and grey and rainy it is. Then for three months, they complain about how hot and bright it is. Don't get me wrong; I'm right with them in complaining about hot and bright. There is hardly any light in our room right now, because I have and love blackout curtains, and the fan is pointed directly at us. But these people are just never happy!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"