Page 52 of 401 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 12014

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I got that when I did phone customer service. People called on holidays and were shocked that someone answered. And it was kind of like, "If you didn't think we'd answer, why did you call?" Though I must say I didn't mind working on Christmas, given that my holiday was days ago and they were paying time-and-a-half.
    Well, to be fair, they may have been expecting to just get to leave a message. In fact, I'd guess some people dislike phone conversations enough that they specifically call on a day or time when they don't expect an actual person to answer.

I actually had to make an emergency run to a local grocery store on Christmas morning. There were signs posted by the checkout counters (I'm guessing they were up in the days prior, to let their customers know that they'd be open) stating something along the lines of, "Because we have enough employees willing to work on Christmas Day, we will be open from..."

There was actually an article in the paper this morning about businesses being open on Christmas, and they spoke to the owner of that particular store. He said he used to never be open on Christmas Day, but he started doing it a few years ago after some of his employees came right out and asked him to - apparently he had more than a few who had nowhere else to go.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I actually had to make an emergency run to a local grocery store on Christmas morning. There were signs posted by the checkout counters (I'm guessing they were up in the days prior, to let their customers know that they'd be open) stating something along the lines of, "Because we have enough employees willing to work on Christmas Day, we will be open from..."
    Tet is a Vietnamese holiday corresponding to Chinese New Year that goes on for a week or so, and, believe me, everything closes down. If you plan to be in VN then, stock up and don't have an emergency.

I was stunned that our local Safeway was open Christmas Day, and from 7 am to 5 pm, no less. I swung by there because it was their last day on a cat litter sale, and it was amazingly busy. But they'd run out of the litter, and only had three checkout lines open - which were of course huge - so I didn't buy anything.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I took a picture of this resealable bag. The last time I encountered this product, I thought I must have cut off the closure or something.
    Nope.
    EDIT - On further examination by a 7 year old, there is a piece of clear tape on the back of the package to "reseal" the bag. I am still losing my eternal battle with packaging.
    Which makes any bag resealable (tape not included).

And I thought that a bag of frozen vegetables that says in big letters "ready for the microwave" was stupid.

What would make a vegetable not ready for the microwave except for maybe the machineries metal shavings got mixed in?

Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    What would make a vegetable not ready for the microwave ...?
    Vegetables usually need to be washed before cooking. It's not remotely obvious (to me anyway) that this is not the case even for frozen ones.

Smart phones etc sold without protective
    pouches, leather or genuine imitation leather.
    I know the reason, "they" want the thing to be
    obsolete this time next year and carry cases
    might encourage hanging on to your old one!

Yup! still grouchy this year

Quote Originally Posted by peteshimmon View Post
    Smart phones etc sold without protective
    pouches, leather or genuine imitation leather.
    I know the reason, "they" want the thing to be
    obsolete this time next year and carry cases
    might encourage hanging on to your old one!

Yup! still grouchy this year
    I'm pretty sure that it's more about being able to sell you various accessories separately, for additional money (which still gives you a reason to be grouchy).
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Well..... they can offer a better price point anyway, since you will throw away the one that comes with it and get the fancy leather one for style. Judging the number of styles, they seem to have a point .

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Well..... they can offer a better price point anyway, since you will throw away the one that comes with it and get the fancy leather one for style. Judging the number of styles, they seem to have a point .
    I always manage to buy the coolest looking, least practical cases for electronics.
    Solfe

Hugh Hefner.

It's The Never-Ending EGO TRIP! lah lah lah, lah lah lah, lah lah lah.

Yes Hef, you've got (yet another) beautiful young bride.

Only because of your money.

With my internet access currently by phon only, I can't read the mouseover text in XKCD.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    With my internet access currently by phon only, I can't read the mouseover text in XKCD.
    From Today's:
    People get really grumpy when they realize you're giving them directions for how to go to the store and buy a GPS.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

LOL!

I'd get grumpy, too--the reason I ask for directions is that I can't afford a GPS. (Treb, if you'd like, I can PM you the alt text until you can see it yourself.)

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

That would be lovely! You're a good friend.

Hi Treb, Hope you're feeling a little better by now. It's no fun geting banged up. Get well soon.

Dan

It's not trivial, but adults riding bicycles on sidewalks.

Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Bicycles have no more business on sidewalks than motorcycles.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Bicycles have no more business on sidewalks than motorcycles.
    On a related note, so-called "bike paths" aren't much better. Why don't they just call them walking paths and be done with it.
    I rode my bike on the "bike path" at our local park exactly one time, and quickly realized that I would likely be responsible for the death of a little kid or adult wearing headphones if I continued.
    Eventually, the county government came to the same realization, and added a bike-lane to the road passing through the park. (They actually added the lane, rather than taking space from the car lane. )

Pedestrians and bicycles do not mix. Cars and bikes can mix, but only if operators offer a reasonable amount of courtesy.

Speaking of sidewalks, why do all the joggers in my neighborhood insist on running in the street? We have very nice sidewalks.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Two or three years back, a cyclist shouted at me for walking along a cycle lane. I was surprised at his failure to notice that the rest of the pavement was flooded.

I hate when people incorrectly use, their, there, they're, hear, here, where, were, your and you're

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    That would be lovely! You're a good friend.
    Hey, I never have made it up for your events! This isn't a huge deal, though you may need to remind me once or twice.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by KozmoDean7 View Post
    I hate when people incorrectly use, their, there, they're, hear, here, where, were, your and you're
    Just use "thems", "yonder", "y'all" and such. Then y'all don't have to worry about witch one to yous.

I hate when I inadvertently type those homophones even though I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Hey, I never have made it up for your events! This isn't a huge deal, though you may need to remind me once or twice.
    Don't know if I'll be competing this year but I sure hope to!

I hate when people whine about wine, or end up hoarse shouting for their horse, or have to hose down some hoes, or get soot on their suit, or visit a remote car park late at night with their dog.

When I was in eighth grade, I stopped into my English teacher's classroom after school one day. It was a half day, because we had Open House that night. We always had a half day for Open House, so the teachers had time to prepare their classrooms. Ms. Osborne had been teaching fiction-writing at the time, and she required multiple drafts to be turned in so she could teach editing while she was at it. And, of course, spelling. In her last class of the day, she had written how various students had misspelled words in their stories and how the words were supposed to be spelled. She agreed that leaving "conceited" up, both correctly and incorrectly, showed some of the teaching she was actually doing, but "ho/hoe/whore" was probably not something the parents wanted to see.

"You can't erase icing."

I secondarily (?) hate when people don't care.

People who point out such mistakes have long been derided as grammar Nazis.

But more than that, there seems to be a growing crowd that just don't care. For them it simply doesn't matter.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

I've three kids who are learning all those words right now in school. There is nothing worse than a chorus of questions that leaves me confused as to which word they used.

I can just see one or more of my kids coming home with a grammar sheet labeled "For {you, you're, your} dad. Please sign and return."
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Same here. Trying to explain to them is usually a mute point.

(intentional)

Ok; now the serious reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    People who point out such mistakes have long been derided as grammar Nazis.
    But more than that, there seems to be a growing crowd that just don't care. For them it simply doesn't matter.
    I can understand when somebody makes a slipup on occasion (I do that on occasion) that the "corrector" can come across as a grammar Nazi.
    It's the ones (like the ones you indicate)... the ones that don't give a rat's petuti and respond with "so what, you know what I mean".

It's hard to say where to draw that line though. I can forgive some people's mistakes a lot easier than others (like a reporter).