Thread: Moon Zoo

Moon Zoo

How does Moon Mappers relate to Moon Zoo?

re: Moon Zoo

These are two separate projects, although some of the humans overlap. Moon Mappers has different science tasks and tools. This project is also part of the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter education program. If you can just hold tight, you'll be able to try everything out and see the differences. We're just working some kinks out on our server.

Actually I think They are both the same except here we correct the computer and in Moon Zoo we also mcompare pictures and see which has more boulders hope this helps!

At some level, both projects are interested in craters, but the basic science goals are different. Moon Zoo is looking at constraining the thickness of the lunar regolith (the "soil"), map the distribution of boulders across the surface, and identify and catalog unusual geologic features.

Our starting projects for Moon Mappers are very different (check out The Science page). Among other things, we're looking initially at how we identify craters so that we can plan better in the future. For example, the Man vs. Machine interface is not just identifying craters for our science questions that require the building of a crater catalog, but we're studying how to fine-tune the crater detection algorithm we're using and whether it's faster to use this kind of interface or do everything on your own. Science-wise, one thing we're trying to answer early on is what sun angles are best for identifying craters, and if there are systematic differences we can model if we don't have that ideal angle. Beyond that, another early project is looking at refining the crater densities at the Apollo landing sites to help constrain lunar chronology.

Just to add to AstroStu's post, my science is also quite different than anything that's been done with Moon Zoo (as far as I am aware). With your help, I am looking to identify and characterize hidden mare deposits. We will be using craters to look at the material overlying the mare, trying to date it and determine it's thickness. Also, we are looking on the far side of the Moon. I don't think this has been done elsewhere, yet.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that both Moon Mappers and Moon Zoo are using craters to do a lot of their work. This doesn't mean that the projects are the same, any more than writing and accounting are the same because they both use a computer. On planetary surfaces, craters are a tool (just like computers), which scientists use to determine a wide variety of information.

How do the two differ, in terms of being able to have a human look at an image and say, "That's funny, ..." (and then write about it)?

I'm thinking of some kind of analog to what Hanny did in Galaxy Zoo, when she discovered what is now called Hanny's Voorwerp (I think the word is serendipitous discovery).

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
    How do the two differ, in terms of being able to have a human look at an image and say, "That's funny, ..." (and then write about it)?

I'm thinking of some kind of analog to what Hanny did in Galaxy Zoo, when she discovered what is now called Hanny's Voorwerp (I think the word is serendipitous discovery).
    Is this following from your What can we do for you? post? If so, I don't think it differs at all. If you see something that you'd like to study that isn't being done, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by astrostu View Post
    Is this following from your What can we do for you? post? If so, I don't think it differs at all. If you see something that you'd like to study that isn't being done, go for it.
    Thanks!

No, it's not directly related.

My other question was quite general, triggered by the broad scope of CosmoQuest's mission statement (if I can call it that).

This question is about whether it's as easy, for ordinary people (like me!) to make serendipitous discoveries with Moon Mapper (as it was for Hanny to find the Voorwerp; other examples include the Green Peas).

Quote Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
    Thanks!

No, it's not directly related.

My other question was quite general, triggered by the broad scope of CosmoQuest's mission statement (if I can call it that).

This question is about whether it's as easy, for ordinary people (like me!) to make serendipitous discoveries with Moon Mapper (as it was for Hanny to find the Voorwerp; other examples include the Green Peas).
    I would estimate that it's as easy or as hard as with Galaxy Zoo. Many of these initial images are from the Apollo 15 landing site, meaning they've been picked over by people for decades, so that's somewhat unlikely. But we'll be launching soon with some additional images from the far side of the moon that should show some interesting geology that hasn't been studied in depth.

I'd like to add to this discussion that we now have a blog post describing, in detail, why these projects are different. The analogy is that craters are tools, and while both projects are using the same tool, the science and the people are very different.