Thread: Why Moon Mappers?

Why Moon Mappers?

Moon Mappers is the lunar component of the CosmoQuest project. The guiding principles of the CosmoQuest project as a whole are explained in the post Why CosmoQuest? Moon Mappers shares these principles, but with a focus on the Moon.

It is our hope that Moon Mappers will be more, do more, and ask more of you than ever before. For that reason, we also want to teach more, so that you can do your job well. As you look at images from planetary surface in general, and the Moon in particular, you will come to understand that surface geology is complex. Training is required to effectively indentify and interpret it. We want to give you that training and the tools to put your new knowledge into practice.

Without feedback, I'm afraid we, the un-initiated, will progress in a manner best described as Brownian motion. We will gravitate toward our personal vision of what's right. Maybe the diversity of answers CosmoQuest gets is helpful, but I don't see that this knowledge is being fed back to the individual contributors. Am I missing something?

Hi DaleSpace,

With feedback like yours, we are working towards developing more tutorial materials to help you improve. They are coming, they just take time to create. Thanks for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by IreneAnt View Post
    Moon Mappers is the lunar component of the CosmoQuest project. The guiding principles of the CosmoQuest project as a whole are explained in the post Why CosmoQuest?
    That link seems to have got misdirected. It goes to a 2001 thread entitled "2001 Mars Odyssey - Mars Orbit Insertion 10:30EDT."

Quote Originally Posted by IreneAnt View Post
    It is our hope that Moon Mappers will be more, do more, and ask more of you than ever before....
    OK, so this is Why Moon Mappers. Shouldn't How Moon Mappers also be at the top of this forum? How do people participate? Where are the instructions?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    OK, so this is Why Moon Mappers. Shouldn't How Moon Mappers also be at the top of this forum? How do people participate? Where are the instructions?
    You can access Moon Mappers (and the other CosmoQuest science projects) via the "Do Science" tab of the navigation right from the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    That link seems to have got misdirected. It goes to a 2001 thread entitled "2001 Mars Odyssey - Mars Orbit Insertion 10:30EDT."
    Thanks Cougar, yes it does seem to be misdirecting now. This may be a result of the restructuring. I will PM someone and see if I can get some answers.
    Last edited by IreneAnt; 2013-Jan-02 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

How long does it take the Simply Craters app to load? I seem to be waiting quite a while (>10 minutes).

In fact, I cannot get anything to load except the tutorials. I'd kinda like to do some citizen science, but something is being uncooperative. Any help is appreciated, or else I shall have to post in the Conspiracies thread. Thanks!

LATER:

Okay, I am using my laptop w/ Chrome, not a handheld smartphone. Is there a way to participate in this manner?
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2015-Jan-24 at 08:37 PM. Reason: new info

can somebody tell me what is moon mappers

I also don't know what is moon mappers?

Please see the CosmoQuest Moon Mappers web page for more information.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Second it :-)