Thread: Crater Chain

Crater Chain

Nifty four element crater chain in the lower center of this image.

Attachment 48

Yes! Nice find Frank.

This one looks like a small chain. ::shrugs

Attachment 50

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    This one looks like a small chain. ::shrugs

Attachment 50
    Hmmm. That one is harder to say. Our eyes are very good at picking out patterns. So goo that we often make patterns where there aren't any. Three craters is few enough that we could just be seeing a random arrangement of craters that are close to a line. We would really need one or two more craters in the line to be sure it isn't just a fluke.

Keep hunting!

So, 3 craters can be a chain.

Does the chain have to be straight? I see a lot of "chains" that wander around, or that circle part of the rim of another crater. Are the irregular chains volcanic or subsidence, rather than impacts?

Should we mark chains if the craters do not meet the minimum size for an individual crater?

Is there any special way to mark really long chains? Multiple flags?

When there is a track of a boulder rolling down a crater wall, should we mark that as a crater chain?

Thanks!

Hi JimNumn

Generally, impact crater chains form straight lines. They don't meander or circle around another crater. If they do, they are not an impact crater chain.

Volcanic crater chains look very different from impact crater chains. First the craters are different; more irregularly shaped. Chains of volcanic craters can form curved lines, but if they circle the rim of another crater, they wouldn't be called a chain any more. Volcanic craters are fairly rare on the Moon, so volcanic crater chains are even less common.

Chains of pit craters, caused by collapse or subsidence of an unsupported chill crust can be less predictable, but they are not usually associated with any kind of larger crater. Pit craters are also quite rare on the Moon.

If you do find a chain of craters (impact, volcanic, or pit), you should definitely mark them, even if the individual craters are smaller than the minimum size (though it will probably be very rare for that to be the case). If a chain is very long, it may be helpful to use two or three flags to mark it.

The track from a boulder that rolled down a crater wall is a "boulder track" and not a crater chain, so it should not be marked as a crater chain.

I hope this addresses all of your questions. Do not hesitate to ask for more info if anything is unclear.

Happy crater hunting!

when i click on the attchment links in these posts, it get a message that says it's invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by cestmarrant View Post
    when i click on the attchment links in these posts, it get a message that says it's invalid.

Dear cestmarrant, I think this is still connected to some problems we had with the forum software.
    I have reported your post, so that the experts can take a look at the why and how.
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post

Dear cestmarrant, I think this is still connected to some problems we had with the forum software.
    I have reported your post, so that the experts can take a look at the why and how.
    To add some details ,this is what I got :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.GIF 
Views:	524 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	18612

Et c'est pas marrant !

I think this relates to problems with the forum merger back in July, all the CQ attachments at that time were lost or some such thing. I've not been able to view any of them, anyway.

Link not working ;/

Link not working ;/ - true

This thread is 2 years old.

Yes, understandable but I still want to see the working/active version of the images based on feedback and excitement level of others

This thread is 5 years old.