Page 239 of 241 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241 LastLast
Results 7,141 to 7,170 of 7211

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Wow, that is cool. The movie part, not the tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Wow, that is cool. The movie part, not the tears.
    Can be variable. My Mother got "roles" in King Kong. She was placed in so many scenes (e.g. buying tomatoes at a street-side market) she was "recognised" at one point by the (assistant?) director who had her removed from a scene.

But when the movie came out, we couldn't find her anywhere.

---

A workmate got an "extra" role in The Hobbit. Next thing he knew, he was suddenly one of the thugs in the Inn in Bree. (He's the bearded bloke sitting at a table who looks up menacingly. (That's how he normally looks (the scraggy beard, not the menacing.)))

(About 1:24 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pG_WFNov1c )

___

I like the idea that with digital technology etc, even extras in movies may have their faces recorded longer than the Pharaoh's and such.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2017-Apr-02 at 12:15 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

You can't get much more trivial than this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disturbing.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	22236

Also: The hotel is on the waterfront of Tacoma, WA. Across the road are the railroad tracks. They came rumbling through all night, but that's ok because I very much like trains. What I'm finding amusing is that due to the configuration of the bay and the peninsula, the ones that go by northward are southbound and vice versa. And just a block or so away from us is a road split where you take the overpass to stay down on the water; and stay down low to go up the hill. Go up to stay down, stay down to go up.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Trivial and amusing now, not so trivial and very annoying a few days ago.

Our kitchen faucet is the one handle type. Hot and cold water go through a diverter valve controlled by one handle. Last weekend the diverter stopped working. We got a slightly diminished cold water flow and (if you waited long enough) a trickle of hot.

The faucet has a lifetime warranty, so Monday I called the manufacturer and they shipped a new diverter valve at no cost. It will take 7-10 days to get here.

I was thinking of opening up the faucet this weekend to see if I could jimmy with the diverter. I got up Saturday morning, went to the kitchen, and the faucet is pretty much back to normal.

When the new diverter gets here I may install it, or keep it JIC.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Daylight savings ended yesterday (in theory, clocks at 3 am Sunday set back to 2 am).

Woke up this morning, just a bit before my alarm went off. My first thought was "oh, great, my body clock still works".

Doh.

I looked at a feedback thread about changing the rules for Against the Mainstream. I also looked at thread in CT.

If I were king of the Board, I would leave the standard rules for posting alone but place a duplicate of it as a sticky in Against the Mainstream. It would contain zero punctuation, capitalization or carriage returns. A small "I accept" button would do nothing except change the color of the font.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caution: I may contain caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    You can't get much more trivial than this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disturbing.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	22236

Also: The hotel is on the waterfront of Tacoma, WA. Across the road are the railroad tracks. They came rumbling through all night, but that's ok because I very much like trains. What I'm finding amusing is that due to the configuration of the bay and the peninsula, the ones that go by northward are southbound and vice versa. And just a block or so away from us is a road split where you take the overpass to stay down on the water; and stay down low to go up the hill. Go up to stay down, stay down to go up.
    My bold. That is commonplace on railroads because they have to follow winding routes to avoid prohibitively steep grades in hilly terrain. We occasionally see that on highways as well. There is a dandy in West Virginia where southbound WV 28 merges with northbound US 250 for a few miles in mountainous terrain. If I took the signs literally I would say I was going north and south simultaneously. The merged section actually was almost due west until 28 diverged to the southwest and 250 to the northwest.

Exactly. In Tacoma, southbound trains travel westward across the Tide Flats, northward along the west side of the bay toward Point Defiance, tunnel under the point, then finally head south along the Narrows on the other side. And Vice Versa. We've ridden trains along there twice now.

If waterfront property was as valuable 100 to 150 years ago as it is today, rail routes might have turned out somewhat differently!

In France, it's common to see road signage pointing to "Toutes Directions" (All Directions). I once arrived at a rural T-junction to discover that both directions on the main road were signposted "Toutes Directions", with opposing arrows one above the other.

Grant Hutchison

Occasionally I "switch directions" while sleeping. Usually sleep with head pointed east, but when I "go west" the cat gets very confused. She pounces on the bed where my head should be ... pauses, then lets go some very confused-sounding meows.

So I call to her, and she quickly pads down the mattress, making troubled/curious "mrrr mrrr" sounds.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

I've just learned that 1930's Germany had a train called "The Flying Hamburger". That's amusing me way more than it should.

My daughter's boyfriend, in an attempt to compliment my efforts since I started working out, said this to me, "when you wear long sleeves, you look like a normal person but when you wear sleeveless shirts, you look scary." ...Umm, thanks?

He doesn't have a mean bone in his body, he just has a peculiar way with words. We call them Andrewisms.

I've just learned that 1930's Germany had a train called "The Flying Hamburger". That's amusing me way more than it should.
    The also had a plane called "The Flying Clog", but that one meant exactly what it said.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The also had a plane called "The Flying Clog", but that one meant exactly what it said.

Grant Hutchison
    Handsome is as handsome does, I guess. And I've bookmarked that site for future reference.

Handsome is as handsome does, I guess. And I've bookmarked that site for future reference.
    Yes, I like the BV138. The 138MS with the huge horizontal hoop antenna was a fine thing - I've got one sitting in my model kit stash. But it's easy to see where the nickname came from.

Grant Hutchison

Our puppy is given to fits of mad barking at anyone and anything that comes near the house. If the person, cat, bird or whatever does not leave, eventually the dog tires herself out. When she is done barking she announces it with a very human sounding "Boof."

The funny bit is, after she makes this noise, you can ask her "Boof?" and she replies "Boof." The kids have been able to get her to do this about six times in a row before she gets all hyped up again and starts barking at them in frustration.

Cute.
    Solfe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reminded today of a scene in my childhood home on Easter morning in 1976 or 1977. But there's some background I must tell first (and I'm sure I've told this before, but can't recall if it was in public or PM).

My father was intolerant of a lot of modern music, in particular, hard rock, and especially if it featured crying and singing electric guitars. I told him, but it made no difference, that much of the classical violin music he enjoyed had the same effect on me: it felt like someone was sticking a knitting needle into my ears. On Sunday mornings when I wanted to sleep in, I was often awoken by some classical music that he'd put on at high volume. It was torture to me and my three sisters.

I loved the recording of the London production of Jesus Christ Superstar from the moment I first heard it. I learned all the lyrics and could replay the entire opera in my head. But I never dared to play the records if he was in the house. But my sisters may have...

So on that Easter morning, I was awoken by the overture from JCS. Then Judas' "Heaven on their Minds", and the next song on the recording. I dragged myself out of bed. When I came into the living room, I found him sitting there intently listening, and his appearance suggested he was absorbing and enjoying the music. I looked at him quizzically. He said, almost sheepishly, "Well... it's the Easter story, isn't it?". He listened to all four sides that morning.

Every so often on Easter, I'll listen to a bit of the movie soundtrack (which I don't care for as much as the London stage version, but it's what I have), and I smile as I recall that morning.

I just saw a truck with "PTSD MAINTENANCE" on the side. Wait what? Why do you want to maintain that? Oh. "Port Townsend School District".

I just saw a truck with "PTSD MAINTENANCE" on the side. Wait what? Why do you want to maintain that? Oh. "Port Townsend School District".
    I always get surprised when I read online about how Wikipedia's Articles for Deletion are a political party in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I always get surprised when I read online about how Wikipedia's Articles for Deletion are a political party in Germany.
    I just had the reverse surprise: if I see AfD it means Alternative für Deutschland. I had no knowledge of Wikipedia's eccentrically initialled AfD system.

Grant Hutchison

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

I currently work in a large office that has a small kitchenette with a restaurant-style drip coffee pot.

In an effort to encourage people to make coffee, and to use the proper amount, someone comes in very early, pre-fills about 10 filters, and places them in the drawer below the pot.

Nobody seems to know who is doing this.

/I just hope this person is rotating the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    ... /I just hope this person is rotating the stock. ...
    Possibly more annoying than amusing, but yesterday morning in my office I found two milk bottles in the bins by the fridge. (Connection being "Rotated stock").

I think the milk delivery guy dumped two 2 litre bottles that were past their due by date. He'd dumped them (1) full, with (2) caps on, into the (3) paper bin, not the plastic bin. And one of them had split so (4) spilled milk into the bag in the bin, which I hope won't start to reek before it gets replaced. Four types of fail in that one simple action of dumping those bottles.

(I was able to rectify 1-3, but 4 is a wait-and-see (or smell).)

Okay, so I'm channel surfing, and come to a stop on a channel (hauntings, monsters, etc) which is featuring Bat Sasquatch. I'm like, They've GOT to be kidding.

Kept on surfing.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

When I was in high school, we were once closed for 11 days by heavy snow. When we got back, the milk in the cafeteria refrigerator had spoiled. The next county to the northwest was closed for 3 weeks. Heaven only knows what their milk was like by then.

When you think about it, Cheese, Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, and Yogurt are all basically spoiled milk. And why do they call it "Creme Fraiche", when, by definition, it's not "fraiche"?

Its 420 eve. Time to leave the milk and cookies out for Snoop Dogg.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Its 420 eve. Time to leave the milk and cookies out for Snoop Dogg.
    Yeah snoop dog, but your courses are properly pretty much over.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Yeah snoop dog, but your courses are properly pretty much over.
    I still have Friday plus three more weeks.

What I don't understand is I take 5 exams on May 11, go to Commencement May 13, then two days after that, start classes again. Seriously, two days would be the fastest I have ever seen a professor grade an exam. Since they also go to Commencement, that could be a rather awkward day for them.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I still have Friday plus three more weeks.

What I don't understand is I take 5 exams on May 11, go to Commencement May 13, then two days after that, start classes again. Seriously, two days would be the fastest I have ever seen a professor grade an exam. Since they also go to Commencement, that could be a rather awkward day for them.
    The coffee sales those two days would be astronomical.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Okay, so I'm channel surfing, and come to a stop on a channel (hauntings, monsters, etc) which is featuring Bat Sasquatch. I'm like, They've GOT to be kidding.

Kept on surfing.
    A flying hairy humanoid mysterious beast? Why, Mothman should sue for copying his whole shtick!