Page 276 of 276 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276
Results 8,251 to 8,258 of 8258

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I have a theory that "books" is the heaviest substance in the world. Not gold, lead, platinum, osmium ... it's books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Of course. Surely you've heard people talking about all the heavy reading they've been doing, on weighty subjects.
    Some of yesterday's weighty subjects were college engineering textbooks from 50 years ago. They need to go to the dump. As does much of the rest of what's left in the unit.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Some of yesterday's weighty subjects were college engineering textbooks from 50 years ago. They need to go to the dump. As does much of the rest of what's left in the unit.
    That Chemistry book that only lists four elements can probably go, too.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Hopefully he does not have a textbook that explains the new innovation the wheel.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Soooo, why not just put icing on a Styrofoam shape? If he never eats it, he'll never know. And you could get real creative with the shape and decoration.
    Because that's the part I'm bad at.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I dunno, some of those works by the alchemists have an intrinsic value beyond the information printed on them.

As a long time furniture mover one of the first things you find out is if the client is a lawyer or physician you're going to have a grueling day of it. Especially in the (San Francisco) Bay Area. Houses with multiple flights of stairs seem to be much more common here than elsewhere in the United States. This is according to the cross country movers. (As a point, the place I live now has four flights of stairs between the front door and my bedroom door. Single unit too! Two bedrooms, two and a half bathrooms.)

The *average* weight of books owned by these two client types is two tons. A full book box weighs 30 pounds and if you are past your probation period folks expect you to carry at least three at a time.

With the use of the hump strap I would carry four or five at a time. Oddly enough and seemingly counter-intuitive, after you're fit enough to move furniture 40 hours a week and still show up for work Monday, it's the number of trips back and forth between the truck and the house that wears you down, not the weight of the loads. So you develop a tendency to max out your carrying capacity.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Yeah, here's the periodic table from when I was young.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YeOldePeriodicTable.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	22981
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I keep running into my old moving company working in my new neighborhood.

Members of my old crew say I've shrunk. And now my head looks too big for my body. On the last encounter some two weeks ago there were four old friends in a crew of eight. All Latinos. Their foreman I didn't know, but he said he heard a lot about me. (On long road trips gossiping about past co-workers is routine.) And while I'm talking to the older guys, off to my right I hear a conversation in Spanish, with the English words "Deadpool" and "Language! Please!" thrown in. Hearing a young Mexican man attempting the latter with a Russian accent caused me to look over as I found it novel. This gave time for the conversation to sink in to the guys around me and they broke up laughing.

Seems I was being compared to the big silver guy in Deadpool. And yes, I would tell my co-workers, "Whoa, this is the customer's home, not a bar!" whenever the issue of bad language use came up anywhere but in the truck.

Once, even though the shipper was nowhere near the premises, this particularly feared and bad tempered, but not often vulgar, driver ripped a blue streak in the air over a minor set back.

(An untended and unpadded armoire fell over onto a marble floor, but was saved by the air pressure trick by falling flat on its back.)

Still pretty loud in a mostly empty mansion.

And there's good ol' me. As soon as the sound faded and the driver finished swearing I looked at him and said in a perfectly calm tone, "You know, Keats would have phrased that differently..." and then handed him a clipboard.

It took him about a thirty second pause to "get it" and then about four minutes to stop laughing.

Yet another story that "got back to the warehouse before I did".

His reply when he could breath again was, "You didn't always move furniture, did you?"

But you know what this means? Well, I guess you don't. I've been out of the business for over four years now and they're still talking about me!

This means I'm one of the Old Legend Movers! Like Fat Frank and Big Bill K!

I was touched.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Science Made Stupid (by Tom Weller, 1985) explains the elements:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	551.3 KB 
ID:	22990