Page 237 of 244 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,110 of 7291

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Today is Election day for our State parliament. My wife and I have just returned from doing our civic duties by buying a sausage in bun and some ANZAC Biscuits https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_biscuit.

Federal & State elections in Oz are always held on a Saturday and 99% of the Polling Centres are at the local school. Therefore, most school's parents groups will put on a sausage sizzle and cake stall to raise money for school amenities. So, as you walk out of the Polling Booth you are overcome with the smell of sausages and onions on a BBQ and a table strewn with delicacies. It is pretty much a standing joke here that the sausage sizzle is more important than the voting.

Thanks for that. On a very recent T.V. show an ozzie woman was talking about the sausages+election; almost sounded like a Government initiative!

(Like the countries that stamp your hand after voting; "sorry sir, I smell onions on your breath and I see tomato sauce on your shirt, are you sure you haven't already voted today?")

Good to have this context.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Today is Election day for our State parliament. My wife and I have just returned from doing our civic duties by buying a sausage in bun and some ANZAC Biscuits https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_biscuit.

Federal & State elections in Oz are always held on a Saturday and 99% of the Polling Centres are at the local school. Therefore, most school's parents groups will put on a sausage sizzle and cake stall to raise money for school amenities. So, as you walk out of the Polling Booth you are overcome with the smell of sausages and onions on a BBQ and a table strewn with delicacies. It is pretty much a standing joke here that the sausage sizzle is more important than the voting.
    We should adopt that in the US, weekend national elections would be much easier and food would encourage people to turn out.

Voting in Federal & State Elections is compulsory here (small fine for not voting or rather for not having your name ticked off on the electoral roll) - so the BBQ & cakes are just a nice extra. I must admit to always being surprised when reading about the problems other countries have with voting on a weekday - but every country has to adopt the voting procedures that suites them the best and I don't have the knowledge to criticise other choices .

And by the way I did spill some tomato sauce on my shirt - doh.

- but every country has to adopt the voting procedures that suites them the best
    I sure wish we would.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright
    "It is the duty of the writers to seduce me into suspending my disbelief!" Paul Beardsley

Voting in Federal & State Elections is compulsory here (small fine for not voting or rather for not having your name ticked off on the electoral roll) - so the BBQ & cakes are just a nice extra. I must admit to always being surprised when reading about the problems other countries have with voting on a weekday - but every country has to adopt the voting procedures that suites them the best and I don't have the knowledge to criticise other choices .

And by the way I did spill some tomato sauce on my shirt - doh.
    Oops - SUITS them best - another doh.

I dropped my daughter off at her friends house. Her friend has 5 siblings who all answered the door. I told my daughter, "Give me a call when Mrs. S says you need to be picked up."
    The other kids exchanged blank looks, then one of the little ones told me:
    "You can call her mom. We all call her mom, she doesn't mind."
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I decided to sort some of the heaps of paperwork that have built up.
    Step 1: Make a clear space on the desk for sorting.
    Step 2: Turn around to get papers off the pile.
    Step 3: Put the papers back down and move the cat off the desk.
    Step 4: Put the papers on the desk.
    Step 5: Move the cat off the papers.
    Step 6: Turn to file the first of the papers.
    Step 7: Give up and just pet the cat.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I decided to sort some of the heaps of paperwork that have built up.
    Step 1: Make a clear space on the desk for sorting.
    Step 2: Turn around to get papers off the pile.
    Step 3: Put the papers back down and move the cat off the desk.
    Step 4: Put the papers on the desk.
    Step 5: Move the cat off the papers.
    Step 6: Turn to file the first of the papers.
    Step 7: Give up and just pet the cat.
    I remember one year I was preparing to work on my income tax form, and chose to use the bed as a platform for sorting things.

Trouble was, our cat had to climb up to watch me doing it, and every time I'd slap one piece of paper on a stack, he'd slap at my hand, making a big game of it. I was not amused.

My cat is quite taken with paper.I've never seen one so enthused by paper.... a magazine, the check book, a small cardboard flat.
    You'd think it was the single greatest invention since kitty canned cat food ( his favourite thing ) .And the more important your business with the paper, the better he likes it .... right now

I was reading a website where they referred to "the terrific heat of termite". I presume they meant thermite.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    We should adopt that in the US, weekend national elections would be much easier and food would encourage people to turn out.
    Actually, around Ohio, if the polling place is a school, a lot of the PTAs (Parent Teacher Associations) do fund raising bake sales at polling places. At my old polling place, I'd vote on the way to work (in the US, election day is not a day off from work) and get a cup of coffee and a muffin.

My current polling place is a local church; they hadn't previously done anything, but last election they were selling coffee and cookies.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

You know, a lot of people work on the weekends. They're often people who have a harder time getting off work to vote.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    You know, a lot of people work on the weekends. They're often people who have a harder time getting off work to vote.
    If you are going to have difficulties in getting to a polling place - e.g. working, travelling overseas etc - you can apply for a Pre-Poll or Postal Vote which can be lodged beforehand - and not counted until the day of the election. There is no great difficulty in accessing these types of votes and they accounted for more than a third of all votes cast in the last Australian Federal Election.

We vote entirely by mail in my state. I can eat whatever's around the house while filling out my ballot.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We vote entirely by mail in my state. I can eat whatever's around the house while filling out my ballot.
    But sausages & onions smell so much better when a quantity of them are on the BBQ - and you don't have to clean up afterwards. Except for your(mine especially) shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    My cat is quite taken with paper.I've never seen one so enthused by paper.... a magazine, the check book, a small cardboard flat.
    You'd think it was the single greatest invention since kitty canned cat food ( his favourite thing ) .And the more important your business with the paper, the better he likes it .... right now
    Back when we read the news in printed form, that was one of my old cat (Bandit) favorite games. Saturday morning I'd be reading the newspaper; he'd come over and decide he wanted to put his paw on top of the paper and pull down, so I'd pay attention to him. So, I'd go back to reading the paper and he would start shredding it.

Bottom line; don't try arguing with a cat.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

"Never try to outstubborn a cat."

--Robert Heinlein

Sometimes, he jumps up onto the computer desk and sits "On the mouse" . If that isn't ridiculous!!! He doesn't know what it is, except for the fact that my hand is on it frequently, so...... why not

If you are going to have difficulties in getting to a polling place - e.g. working, travelling overseas etc - you can apply for a Pre-Poll or Postal Vote which can be lodged beforehand - and not counted until the day of the election. There is no great difficulty in accessing these types of votes and they accounted for more than a third of all votes cast in the last Australian Federal Election.
    I, with Treb, live in a vote-by-mail state. It's considerably more convenient; I was non-trivially bothered to discover how difficult certain other states in the US make it to vote by mail. Also how difficult one of the parties makes it to get your caucus vote counted in the Presidential primary if you can't be sure you will be able to spend your Saturday at the caucus. Only probably having to work isn't good enough; you have to know for a fact three weeks in advance. A lot of people who work weekends are lucky to know a day in advance what their schedule will be.

Back to the amusing stuff. I went to the fabric store to buy a zipper yesterday. I thoughtfully took a scrap of the fabric of the project. I'm making Irene a green linen dress for her naming ceremony Saturday. The colour name of the zipper that matched? Green linen.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I, with Treb, live in a vote-by-mail state. It's considerably more convenient; I was non-trivially bothered to discover how difficult certain other states in the US make it to vote by mail. Also how difficult one of the parties makes it to get your caucus vote counted in the Presidential primary if you can't be sure you will be able to spend your Saturday at the caucus. Only probably having to work isn't good enough; you have to know for a fact three weeks in advance. A lot of people who work weekends are lucky to know a day in advance what their schedule will be.

Back to the amusing stuff. I went to the fabric store to buy a zipper yesterday. I thoughtfully took a scrap of the fabric of the project. I'm making Irene a green linen dress for her naming ceremony Saturday. The colour name of the zipper that matched? Green linen.
    I can never accept why in a real democracy, rather than a DDR type fake one, there are difficulties placed in front of voters.

In your green linen story I am amused by two things. One, that the zipper was named exactly for what you were going to match it with, but also that you spelt, or spelled, colour with a "u". Is this the inadvertent result of reading non - USA residents, like mine, posts or do you simply prefer it that way? Obviously USA/Commonwealth spelling discussions would lead us down a deep, dark & winding rabbit hole.

I think it looks better with the "u." I've spelled it with one since grade school.

Getting into my feelings about voting difficulties in the US would be far too political for this board.

"You can't erase icing."

I think it looks better with the "u." I've spelled it with one since grade school.

Getting into my feelings about voting difficulties in the US would be far too political for this board.
    Although I am conditioned to prefer the "u" by my heritage, I do think it gives a bit more -gravitas, strength, depth??? - to words. And, if you like the look of it so much the better!

Yes, no further discussion on electoral problems is necessary or wise.

This awkward Twitter moment involving Kiwi/US round-the-world sailor Conrad Colman.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040112john.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	22206

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    This awkward Twitter moment involving Kiwi/US round-the-world sailor Conrad Colman.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040112john.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	22206
    This was fun: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footbal...and-girlfriend

(On second thought, not really a much related story. But anyway ...)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Back in the dark ages, I worked in an office where everyone shared a small set of phone numbers. Often, the department secretary would answer calls and forward them. Frequently, "forwarding" would consist of her shouting your name and saying "call on line 2".

Sometimes if a spouse called, she would shout something like "Bill, your girlfriend is on line 2!"

Unfortunately, unbeknownst to the secretary, Bill recently had an affair and his relationship with his wife was on rocky ground.
    His wife overheard one of these announcements, and there was much explaining to do.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Back in the dark ages, I worked in an office where everyone shared a small set of phone numbers. Often, the department secretary would answer calls and forward them. Frequently, "forwarding" would consist of her shouting your name and saying "call on line 2".
    Yes. In those days they shouted out your name, and whomever was calling you could locate you. Or, somebody else who works on the same things could answer if they knew you weren't available, even if the receptionist didn't redirect them.

Then it seems, most offices decided they could save a few bucks by eliminating the dedicated receptionist. Give everybody their own phone. Now, people needing help can call some number or other and hope it's physically near where you are. You get X and ask if he knows where Y might be, or some reasonable substitute, or go looking for him or her. Make your experts assume the receptionist's duties on an ad hoc, rotating basis, at the cost of a small (or big) fraction of their productivity. Just brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sometimes if a spouse called, she would shout something like "Bill, your girlfriend is on line 2!"
    I used to announce a husband calling for his wife (my coworker) by saying, "Heavy Breather on Line 2!"

So last evening I stepped outdoors to hear the 1st cricket of Spring ... on 1st day of Spring. Made me happy. Nostalgic, etc.

I soon wrote some Haiku poems in honor of that little cricket. Once mentions Mozart; that his "Nachtmusik" can't compare with the little cricket's night music.

Told my husband. Laughed and said, "I'll bet Mozart wouldn't like that!"

Husband replied, "Well it hasn't been published and he probably won't ever read it."

Yep. Probably not!

I politely informed husband that Mozart is dead. For centuries now.
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    So last evening I stepped outdoors to hear the 1st cricket of Spring ... on 1st day of Spring. Made me happy. Nostalgic, etc.

I soon wrote some Haiku poems in honor of that little cricket. Once mentions Mozart; that his "Nachtmusik" can't compare with the little cricket's night music.

Told my husband. Laughed and said, "I'll bet Mozart wouldn't like that!"

Husband replied, "Well it hasn't been published and he probably won't ever read it."

Yep. Probably not!

I politely informed husband that Mozart is dead. For centuries now.
    Can we see your haiku?