Page 288 of 291 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,640 of 8707

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

A friend of mine has playing with some scammers on the internet mostly saying they will marry him if the send him money kind of thing. The latest is a suppose to be white woman from Texas but post a black mans picture Ghana.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Oh dear, that's quite the blunder on the part of the Zoo...

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh dear, that's quite the blunder on the part of the Zoo...
    It could have been worse, they could have celebrated Australian culture with Mozart, sausages and beer.

I have a professor that uses a student paper on Austria as an example of what not to do. It has "Austria" and every variation on that word perfectly replaced with "Australia" and all its variations through out. He cites it as a good reason to proofread and not rely on spellcheck. Either it's satire or biting mockery of someone who was having the worse day ever.

This was for a freshman level course, so the content was rather light. But the writing was exquisite, almost too perfect. I have a feeling that an upper level English major decided to share a joke with the professor for fame. I wish I had a copy of that because it was hysterical.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It could have been worse, they could have celebrated Australian culture with Mozart, sausages and beer.

I have a professor that uses a student paper on Austria as an example of what not to do. It has "Austria" and every variation on that word perfectly replaced with "Australia" and all its variations through out. He cites it as a good reason to proofread and not rely on spellcheck. Either it's satire or biting mockery of someone who was having the worse day ever.

This was for a freshman level course, so the content was rather light. But the writing was exquisite, almost too perfect. I have a feeling that an upper level English major decided to share a joke with the professor for fame. I wish I had a copy of that because it was hysterical.
    Actually celebrating Australia with Mozart, sausages and beer sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. As long as Mozart was performed by the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, a sausage sizzle was held serving lamb sausages and Australian craft beer was served. (Definitely not Fosters as it is simply not drunk in Australia and I can't remember the last time I saw it on sale here.)

I don't want to make fun of someone for not knowing something, but a question seen on a different forum did make me laugh:

I would like to know, when did humans realize that there are another galaxies?

I have heard that it was when Hubble discovered, that Andromeda's nebula is The Andromeda Galaxy, but as I know, Hubble was launched in 1990 and I can't believe that we thought, that our galaxy is alone till that date (1990+)
    (The person asking was treated very well, and happily accepted the answer. So all good.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I don't want to make fun of someone for not knowing something, but a question seen on a different forum did make me laugh:

(The person asking was treated very well, and happily accepted the answer. So all good.)
    That’s an understandable enough mistake, really. I’m glad everyone else was polite when they set them straight.

That’s an understandable enough mistake, really. I’m glad everyone else was polite when they set them straight.
    The first question is totally fascinating to me. The second question is one that drives me bonkers all the time. It has to do with the ordering of how you teach subject matter. I am sure the person asking didn't know the scope of astronomy. If you don't know that, it's all very reasonable.

I was working at a school where they went all in on Geography for 2 months. Everyone participated from pre-K to 12th grade (special education). The classroom teachers had activities on different counties. The music teachers showed maps of countries and played music from each. The gym teachers had jerseys to match many of the countries everyone was talking about, and we had a hockey play off with each class representing a country. And so on. It was nearly perfect.

Until a couple of students mentioned that Germany was an island like Poland and England. The maps and worksheets we used had each country isolated so everything must be islands. Wow. Did that make perfect sense. We invested in a couple of globes and world maps to fix that one.
    Solfe

Yeah, it just kind of gave me a mental image of the astronomer being launched; a Monty Python style cartoon of a scientist going "wheeeee" as he's flung into space to look at the stars close up.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Watching people try foods from other countries videos and there is american trying dill pickle chipw, you don't have dill pickle chips in Canada,
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Watching people try foods from other countries videos and there is american trying dill pickle chipw, you don't have dill pickle chips in Canada,
    We have dill pickle chips (both kinds) in Western New York. The first time I had them, my sister brought a bag down from Toronto. I can't say I like them but I've had them.

Now, dill pickle chips in a jar is the only way to go. Strangely, they are sometimes called "crisps" which should really muddy the water on the other side of the pond.
    Solfe

Every year I try grow enough dill and cukes to make some of my own.

Always amuses where you get when you start in youtube, you start looking at a map of Europe that changes every year showing who ruled what. Then you end a few minutes with someone talking about candy bars and chips.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Maybe it is a west coast thing, I think that is where he said he was.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Maybe it is a west coast thing, I think that is where he said he was.
    West coast dining... mmm. Good food, but they have this strange way of ordering everything like they are at Subways. Super annoying most of the time, highly amusing when they encounter something they have never had.

I took a friend from California out for roast beef on wick and they seemingly never encountered Heluva Good Horseradish. Boom! The tears.

The next day he wanted "Death" Wings at Duffs. This guy asked for the sauce on the side, so what he got was wings shaken in Death sauce with more of it on the side. Rookie mistake. He was triple warned about the heat. This place's "medium" hot sauce is hotter than most other place's hottest wings. "Death" sauce is several notches up from that... like 5 or 6 steps.

To be completely fair, wing hot sauce doesn't really compare to anything on the Scoville scale, so that is horrible guide for wings. Apparently this guy thought it would be like a ghost pepper or something. No, it was not like that at all. He nearly choked on the first and didn't want the other nine. I tried a couple but found the experience to be horrible. I like hot, but Death sauce is way too much.

By way of comparison to the Scoville scale, I can eat the hottest wings (Death wings at 50,000) but won't under most circumstances. I prefer medium (10,000) but can barely tolerate store brand jalapenos (maybe 2,500). Ghost peppers are way up at the top end of the scale, I would never ever try one. My friend from California loves them. As near as I can tell, it's the fat and butter in the wings and the sauce that changes the dynamics of heat.

A different rookie mistake is beer with wings that are too hot and over ordering. 10 wings looks like nothing but it is substantial. I've seen people go at 30 wings with a pitcher of beer. It's like trying to eat a bucket of sand. You'll burst before you get half way done. Rarely have I seen someone get past 20. 8 to 10 is more than enough.
    Solfe

Over the weekend, my best friend was running a moving sale for someone. Yesterday, I took the kids, because it sounded nicely like not our apartment. Then we drove home, getting back around five. I then promptly freaked out because I have articles due at three o'clock on both Saturday and Sunday, and since we'd had the day off . . . oh.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180520_194346202.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	23375
    Solfe

On a sports-oriented board that I frequently visit, some fellow complained about the graphics on the baseball broadcasts. He says that they added the Pitch Count (i.e., how many pitches the current pitcher has thrown in the game, which is important as to how long he can continue), but no longer show the score and the inning, and he misses that.

Other correspondents questioned which network this was and what games, and those who weren't confused were outraged. There was lively back-and-forth about how the game is changing for the worse.

Finally, someone suggested that he check whether or not he clicked the wrong button on his cable or TV remote and changed the aspect ratio such that the stuff he was looking for was getting cropped off the top of the display.

That proved to be the case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180520_194346202.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	413.1 KB 
ID:	23375
    Have you tried to removing and trying.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

neat summer time trick. Take a bottle of pop and stick in the freezer for maybe like overnight, if it does not freeze open it. The pop will form slush inside the bottle, I think this because the bubbles as they expand decrease in temperature and freezes most of the water in the bottle.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

neat summer time trick. Take a bottle of pop and stick in the freezer for maybe like overnight, if it does not freeze open it. The pop will form slush inside the bottle, I think this because the bubbles as they expand decrease in temperature and freezes most of the water in the bottle.
    Or, much more likely, you'll make one hell of a mess in your freezer as you freeze a sealed container and it bursts. (I did this as a school kid. seen done periodically.)

Don't do this.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Yeah, a college roommate had to clean our freezer after attempting that one. Of glass. In addition to a big ol' mess, she cut her hand.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I once left a case of soda (cans) in the garage during a cold snap. It wasn't until I brought them inside and they began to thaw that they started exploding.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've done that a few times accidentally. Stuck a warm can of soda in the freezer, hoping to get it to cool down within an hour or so, then got busy and forgot about it.

The trick is to get out before it does that. But in the winter if I leave the pop on the porch during the first cold snap it freezes.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I've done that a few times accidentally. Stuck a warm can of soda in the freezer, hoping to get it to cool down within an hour or so, then got busy and forgot about it.
    I did that with a can of ginger ale in undergrad. The frozen-and-slightly-exploded can still made a good cold pack to hold to my head when I got headaches, though, so I kept it around for that semester.

Have you tried to removing and trying.
    Naw. This is a powered squirt gun at an amusement park. For a quarter, you get a chance to blast a stranger on a log ride. It seems kind of cruel to me because the victim gets soaked by the ride and immediately gets blasted by a stranger with a handful change.

I'm taking my son out to camp for his first day of work.
    Solfe

Naw. This is a powered squirt gun at an amusement park. For a quarter, you get a chance to blast a stranger on a log ride. It seems kind of cruel to me because the victim gets soaked by the ride and immediately gets blasted by a stranger with a handful change.
    I was imagining that as a sign someone had put on their desk at work.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I'm taking my son out to camp for his first day of work.
    I wouldn't wither I was just kidding.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I was amused by a geography-challenged announcer in this YouTube baseball video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-EWkhfS3Y
    At 3:49, as Barry Bonds hits a moon shot into the right field upper deck at Yankee Stadium, the announcer hollers,"This one is headed for New Jersey!" That ball was headed east-southeast. From anywhere in the Bronx, that is directly away from New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I was amused by a geography-challenged announcer in this YouTube baseball video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-EWkhfS3Y
    At 3:49, as Barry Bonds hits a moon shot into the right field upper deck at Yankee Stadium, the announcer hollers,"This one is headed for New Jersey!" That ball was headed east-southeast. From anywhere in the Bronx, that is directly away from New Jersey.
    It's almost a full orbit, then.
    Or maybe that's where it touches down on returning from the moon.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Cincinnati Reds’ catcher Ernie Lombardi is the author of “The Thirty Mile Homer.”

Sometime in the 1930’s, the hulking Lombardi put a 387-ft left-centerfield shot out of Crosley Field in Cincinnati. The ball, supposedly, landed in a passing truck, and was later found, some thirty miles from the park, hence, “The Thirty-Mile Homer.”

A minor leaguer is alleged to have managed to hit one into a small airplane passing over a ball field in 1917. Now, if only someone had managed to hit one onto the Voyager II spacecraft as it left earth on August 20, 1977, they may have discovered the ball jamming the sensors out about Planet Neptune twelve years later, making this the 2.7 Billion Mile Homer. So there.