Page 289 of 291 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291 LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,670 of 8709

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Then there's this case: Jim Thorpe allegedly homers in three states in one game.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/4044...home_run_myth/

Finally got a headphones for the cell [hone but the battery on the cell phone is out of power.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I think my local weather station had some sort of malfunction last night at about 11PM.

It reported conditions as "59F feels like 72F".

(Mind you, it did feel like 72F.)

What sort of atmospheric shenanigans would have to occur for 59 degree air to feel like 72 degree air? After dark?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Then there's this case: Jim Thorpe allegedly homers in three states in one game.

Nice! Shenanigans, but nice.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

He really was The Greatest in the World!

One of the mundane annoyances of moderating this site is having to deal with spammers, especially those who post simply to sneak through a link to their blog or website. "This is such a great site! You say such smart things! Visit my site." Many are what you'd expect ... money loans, tour travel, hot women ... but the ones that really get a smile are the ones to psychic hotlines/websites.

C'mon, if you were really psychic you wouldn't bother trying 'cause you'd know how it was going to end.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The tape for my new headphones was in the inside of package making them hard to open. But now I can listen to podcast outside without the noise of traffic drowning my phone out.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    One of the mundane annoyances of moderating this site is having to deal with spammers, especially those who post simply to sneak through a link to their blog or website. "This is such a great site! You say such smart things! Visit my site." Many are what you'd expect ... money loans, tour travel, hot women ... but the ones that really get a smile are the ones to psychic hotlines/websites.

C'mon, if you were really psychic you wouldn't bother trying 'cause you'd know how it was going to end.
    I'm one of the moderators for a no-boys-allowed club on Facebook. (There are reasons for the existence of the group. I'm a mod, despite years of refusing to be one here, for two reasons. One, I haven't had to do any work for it so far except approving members. Two, I came up with a great name for the group and therefore was the one to start it, and Facebook automatically makes you a mod if you start a group.) A while ago, we had a spambot apply for admittance to the group. Its persona was male, and it seemed to speak only Turkish.

A slight annoyance to me is that we agreed, as a group, that you have to answer two questions to get into the group. "What is your gender identity?" "How did you hear about this group?" (The group is an offshoot of my film discussion group.) Apparently, these two questions are far too complicated for some people, as I routinely have people sit in the "wants to be let in" place for days without having answered the questions--and we accept answers like "nonbinary," so it isn't even "well, I don't identify as male or female."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I'm one of the moderators for a no-boys-allowed club on Facebook. (There are reasons for the existence of the group. I'm a mod, despite years of refusing to be one here, for two reasons. One, I haven't had to do any work for it so far except approving members. Two, I came up with a great name for the group and therefore was the one to start it, and Facebook automatically makes you a mod if you start a group.) A while ago, we had a spambot apply for admittance to the group. Its persona was male, and it seemed to speak only Turkish.

A slight annoyance to me is that we agreed, as a group, that you have to answer two questions to get into the group. "What is your gender identity?" "How did you hear about this group?" (The group is an offshoot of my film discussion group.) Apparently, these two questions are far too complicated for some people, as I routinely have people sit in the "wants to be let in" place for days without having answered the questions--and we accept answers like "nonbinary," so it isn't even "well, I don't identify as male or female."
    Oh the misandry in this entire post! (I simply must retire to my fainting couch.)
    Last edited by BigDon; 2018-Jun-04 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Edited to add smiley face.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Oh the misandry in this entire post! (I simply must retire to my fainting couch.)
    You could join the ďHe-man woman-haterís club.Ē

For those who donít get the reference:
    http://ourgang.wikia.com/wiki/He-Man_Woman-Haters_Club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Try asking the What do want, or who are you?
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I watched this cute video about vintage kitchen gadgets this afternoon. I was able to identify every single one except the first, and I'm not really convinced about that one.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've seen more than one variation of this cartoon:
    Fortune teller gypsy caravan with sign on door "closed due to unforeseen circumstances".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

When we woke up this morning it was obvious, times flashing on appliances etc, that there had been a power failure overnight due to stormy weather. The amusing part was that even though we had power back on it was only coming through at about half strength - like we were getting wimpy US/Canada 110V rather than than the wholesome 220 - 240V we operate on. The toaster would only warm the bread, the fridge lights were dull and the oven & A/C would not operate and so forth.

Checking the local electricity supplier there was a power outage in our area - the on-line map showed that only about half a square kilometre around our house was affected. Normally our power is either on or off, this is the first time that I can remember having only weak "power". The system was fully restored about the estimated repair time.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    - like we were getting wimpy US/Canada 110V rather than than the wholesome 220 - 240V we operate on.
    At least our electricity operates at a proper frequency.

I find all this shocking.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    You could join the “He-man woman-hater’s club.”
    Or, NO MA'AM.

National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

(Yes, there is a bit of a contradiction in that name.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

When we woke up this morning it was obvious, times flashing on appliances etc, that there had been a power failure overnight due to stormy weather. The amusing part was that even though we had power back on it was only coming through at about half strength - like we were getting wimpy US/Canada 110V rather than than the wholesome 220 - 240V we operate on. The toaster would only warm the bread, the fridge lights were dull and the oven & A/C would not operate and so forth.

Checking the local electricity supplier there was a power outage in our area - the on-line map showed that only about half a square kilometre around our house was affected. Normally our power is either on or off, this is the first time that I can remember having only weak "power". The system was fully restored about the estimated repair time.
    The term for that is "Brownout".

Many people don't realize that US household power is also 240V. With a neutral, so that you get 120V from line to neutral and 240V where you need it, like the oven and dryer.

Or, NO MA'AM.

National Organization of Men Against Amazonian Masterhood

(Yes, there is a bit of a contradiction in that name.)
    I welcome our new Amazonian overlords.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jun-05 at 05:23 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Yes, well. I'll refrain from getting political. I'll just say that, under things that definitely don't amuse me, the main group has an occasional "Hey, Ladies!" post to try to get more female voices in our discussions. The rules are simple--if you don't gender-identify as male, you can respond directly to the question. If you do, you can only respond on someone else's thread. To my knowledge, not once have we had a "Hey, Ladies!" that didn't have at least one man who thought his voice was more important than the rules. Not once. Straight people generally manage to let "Hey, LGBTQ Folk!" slip by, and white people manage to let "Hey, PoC!" go. It's only "Hey, Ladies!" that has the problem. And then after we announced the creation of the group, we had at least one man ask if he could join just to listen to the conversation and not post even though we explicitly said that this was a space without men.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Miss Gillian, I have absolutely no problem with you having *any* sort of personal fora you want. (Within the limits of the law, of course.) I'm a big believer in the 1st Amendment and all.

It was just too good a shot to pass up. Sorry if there was any real consternation, however momentary.

But wow, saying that openly on Facebook just seems to be out and out troll bait.

Darn, what I came to post but forgot to.

Since both of my parents were native born Oregonians had large families that had large families, and given that 90% of the population of the state of Oregon lives in the Greater Vancouver area, it's highly probable I'm directly related to about half the people Treb and Miss Gillian might know.

Dad settled in the Bay Area after mustering out of the Navy back in the Fifties.

(Or as my brothers and I put it, "We're the first generation out of the trees.")

Ok, we should have a "just plain nutty thread". A while ago, I noticed that there is some sort of cycle to my blood sugar. It goes up and down with some days much higher than others. Ok, that's perfectly normal. What is very odd is, I seem to be eating or drinking something on Monday's which causes my blood sugar to spike on Tuesday morning. I have no idea what it is, I can not recall eating anything out of the ordinary.

Now for the nutty part. I get high readings when I draw from my index finger.

So, I started thinking about what I REALLY do. I noticed that I have a strange pattern for these draws. I start at my little finger on Saturday and advance to my index finger by Tuesday. I skip my thumb and go back to my little finger for Wednesday. On Saturday, I break the cycle again and jump back to my little finger again. I only prick my index finger once a cycle.

Correlation is not causation!

It is very odd that I am so particular about how I do these draws without realizing what I am doing. I wonder how often that actually happens? I am hoping very often, because that may help me figure out what I am doing to make my blood sugar jump on Tuesdays. What I do know is that I do the shopping on Sunday, and Tuesday I cook dinner before rushing around with the kids. I suspect that I am indulging in something while cooking or taking the kids around and simply forget.

I keep a diet journal and I don't seem to be noting anything unusual on Monday night. I must be eating something that is generally the same, but qualitatively different on Mondays. Say a salad with two different kinds of dressing. My next game plan is to make a menu for Sunday, then over-size everything so I can eat exactly the same food on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    But wow, saying that openly on Facebook just seems to be out and out troll bait.
    I think it's now a secret group, so you have to be invited in. The official name, for reasons, is Ladies Who Dissolve. (It's a play on The Dissolve, the film site our group started on, and "Ladies Who Lunch," from Stephen Sondheim's Company.) And because it's a private group, we don't get trolls anyway, since we don't let them in to troll. You have to answer two questions before you're allowed to even see what's said, much less post--"What is your gender identity?" and "How did you hear about this group?" The Turkish spambot didn't even answer either question!

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The term for that is "Brownout".

Many people don't realize that US household power is also 240V. With a neutral, so that you get 120V from line to neutral and 240V where you need it, like the oven and dryer.
    I must admit that I only discovered that yesterday when I was reading up on electrical voltages around the world.

Extravoice
    But then again our wall mounted light & power switches here operate the way nature intended - down to turn on and up to turn off.

But then again our wall mounted light & power switches here operate the way nature intended - down to turn on and up to turn off.
    In the Southern Hemisphere, sure.

... But then again our wall mounted light & power switches here operate the way nature intended - down to turn on and up to turn off.
    In the Southern Hemisphere, sure.
    Makes sense. Their up is our down.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Nice try Jim & Extravoice. Unfortunately, the same positioning (up is off) applies to the UK & Ireland. And, as far as I can remember, to Germany, France & the rest of Western Europe. Also Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong. I still say your part of the world is acting against the natural order of the universe

Never in my life have I wanted to be diagnosed with a medical condition, until now. I am in my early forties now and over the last few years new symptoms have been cropping up--independently, are rather inconsequential but collectively, they are becoming more than just a mild annoyance. All of them could be attributed to aging and a lifetime of thinking I was immortal. While some things are unusual at this age, they are not out of the realm of possibility. If it's age related, so be it but if it is a medical condition, it is very treatable, a simple medication can treat most, if not all of my complaints. That may not be amusing but what amuses me is the fact that I keep putting off requesting a test because as long as I don't know, I have hope but if I go get tested and it comes back negative, I have to face the fact that I am on the down slope of life.

I've often thought of moving to a different part of the world and taking a common US synchronous clock, so time would run only 5/6 as fast....
    My bluetooth headset works that way.