Page 266 of 291 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,980 of 8702

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Awesome. We have a birder around these parts who is legendary for finding rarities and oddities, because he does just that: he visits odd places and pays superb attention! Nice, and a good reason to be gratified, even if you aren't a "birder" per se.
    I don't think of myself as a birder (or a "bird-watcher" as we used to say when I was a kid). I would never consider travelling somewhere just to see a particular bird, for instance - but I do feel a sort of vague responsibility, given that I'm fantastically lucky enough to be able to travel to remote and little-visited locations, that I should actually know something about what I'm looking at when I get there.
    So when I was standing in the cemetery in Adamstown and a little grey bird landed on a tombstone next to me, I was able to say "Ah, a Pitcairn Reed-Warbler." And the people in my little group said, "Oh, you're a birder!" And I had to say that actually, I'd just looked at a photograph and description on-line (the one I linked to, above), because it seemed like something I might see on Pitcairn.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Bison. It looks like a Bison. (/pedantry)
    Wiley would agree.

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2017/12/12
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Meh. Say what you want, but I'm from South Dakota - we* raise them and eat them. Not saying "bison" is wrong, but neither is "buffalo".

*When I say "we" raise them, I mean South Dakotans in general, not me personally. When I say "we" eat them, I do mean me personally.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I often say "Buffler", but it's an affectation.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

The Buffalo Bisons are a minor league baseball team in Buffalo, so that name should make either everyone, or no one, happy.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I had a student swear at me today. It was so loud and he was so close, my ears were ringing. Another staff member was so shocked she asked: "What did you say?"

Without missing a beat the student yelled "Praise the lord!" I nearly laughed out loud. The other people in the room were again shocked, this time into silence.

This is an example of echolalia, he was merely repeating phrases he had heard. So it wasn't spiteful or mean, but in retrospect, perhaps it isn't really funny at all. Hopefully he heard it on TV.
    Solfe

Have you ever gone back to like a school were went as kid and things that look so big then don't as big now. The last couple of evenings been in my old middle school going up down a staircase that the phys ed teachers made us run up and down, now doesn't seem as bad as it did then.
    (tried but often just ended up walking up and down.)
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2017-Dec-20 at 08:53 AM.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

That I wrote a program that spat out 48.5 gb of data.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post

That's rather easy when you program an infinite loop, but you're not supposed to do that.

Or maybe you mean "useful data."

I did something like that on an IBM mainframe clone more than 50 years ago. Used FIVE MINUTES of core time. I was helping my friend analyze data from a psychology project -- all I had to do was punch a few cards to call a canned subroutine and then spit out the results. Unfortunately the instructions for the subroutine listed two parameters in the wrong order, so it never closed. I used the entire computing budget for the Psych department in one go before figuring it out.

Have you ever gone back to like a school were went as kid and things that look so big then don't as big now. The last couple of evenings been in my old middle school going up down a staircase that the phys ed teachers made us run up and down, now doesn't seem as bad as it did then.
    (tried but often just ended up walking up and down.)
    Yes! Everything looks so small when I visit my old Elementary School!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I did something like that on an IBM mainframe clone more than 50 years ago. Used FIVE MINUTES of core time. I was helping my friend analyze data from a psychology project -- all I had to do was punch a few cards to call a canned subroutine and then spit out the results. Unfortunately the instructions for the subroutine listed two parameters in the wrong order, so it never closed. I used the entire computing budget for the Psych department in one go before figuring it out.
    I am just writing a simple program comparing the force from gravity and velocity, try doing a solution for Sun/Sirius orbit. Back to Sun and planets.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Seeing a post on the local buy and sell site that made think buffalo has a hockey team still.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

That a person invented a pipe where a lot of gauges come out of with such spots inside it would be very easy to freeze and someone who won't leave a tap runiing because they think will freeze the drain.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

(sorry cold crankiness setting in)
    Don't Panic THGTTG

The Bills made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. One of my friends is a serious fanatic. On a typical weekend they* post pictures of tailgating on Saturday afternoon. Invariable someone will ask them if they are going to the game on Sunday, to which they reply: "No, we are already here..."

Last night, halfway through the game one of them posted that if the Bills get into the playoffs on New Year's Eve, Buffalo will need a stomach pump, the national guard and a whole lot of Pepto Bismol. That didn't seem to happen, but I'll tell you, I was tempted to drive over to the airport to meet their plane.

Now, if the Sabres can get a win today, that would be great. I might have to settle for a win this week or month.

*Edit - They... they... These friends are a husband and wife team. When you think you know which is a bigger fan, the other steps in an proves you wrong. I lost track of which one I was writing about. I'm leaving the poor grammar in place, it does get the idea across.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Jan-01 at 04:25 PM.
    Solfe

That a person invented a pipe where a lot of gauges come out of with such spots inside it would be very easy to freeze and someone who won't leave a tap runiing because they think will freeze the drain.
    What does this mean?

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    What does this mean?
    That someone made a pipe where it can the water can freeze. Also dealing with a person who thinks leaving a tap open to keep the water flowing and preventing freezing will think the drain will freeze.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Seeing a post on the local buy and sell site that made think buffalo has a hockey team still.
    Don't they?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

That someone made a pipe where it can the water can freeze. Also dealing with a person who thinks leaving a tap open to keep the water flowing and preventing freezing will think the drain will freeze.
    This still only makes half-sense. What sort of "pipe" has a bunch of gauges coming out of it that you'd normally trickle water through to keep it from freezing? Your penchant for leaving out or misordering words in English is making this (and some of your other posts) a little hard to figure out.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

It depends on which pipes are exposed to freezing conditions. In my house the source pipes going to the bathrooms go under the front porch while those to the kitchen go through an unheated storeroom. Both are susceptible to freezing when the temperature drops below about 10F. This is from installation errors back in 1948 when the house was built. I keep the bathroom pipes from freezing by letting a trickle run from the taps, and I protect the kitchen pipes by putting an electric space heater in the storeroom. All of the drains are well protected from freezing. It is possible in principle to have just the opposite situation, depending on how the plumbing is arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The Bills made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.
    Congratulations Buffalo. Less amusingly, the Seahawks haven't made it for the first time in the Russell Wilson era.

Got a stranger to do a spit take at the brew house when in a lull in the noise I stated that the San Francisco Giants had better odds of beating the New England Patriots than the New York Giants.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Ah...paper tiger teams easily capitulate in the face of superior team play.
    ( New England fan )

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    It depends on which pipes are exposed to freezing conditions. In my house the source pipes going to the bathrooms go under the front porch while those to the kitchen go through an unheated storeroom. Both are susceptible to freezing when the temperature drops below about 10F. This is from installation errors back in 1948 when the house was built. I keep the bathroom pipes from freezing by letting a trickle run from the taps, and I protect the kitchen pipes by putting an electric space heater in the storeroom. All of the drains are well protected from freezing. It is possible in principle to have just the opposite situation, depending on how the plumbing is arranged.
    The spot that keeps freezing is in basement right off the tank and there are a number of gauges and it keeps freezing in these gauges.It is covered better now. We have had to get plumbers in to use steam to thaw the pipes to septic tank and I think thaw out the the supply to well about 15 years ago. This is really nothing just annoying.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Next door neighbor owns 3 cars - two they use, and one, parked in the street, that hasnít moved in the year and a half Iíve lived here.

Yesterday, in the middle of the coldest cold-snap in decades, he decided to attempt starting it.

He failed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The "Trivial Stuff That Bugs You" thread I started some years back will very soon have 10,000 posts. I wonder if any others have reached that milestone. Perhaps in F&G, which I don't read.

Remember when ToSeek was approaching 10,000 and everyone wondered if it would break the board?

How about 31,000 ish (indeed in F&G)? But there have been many years when threads were closed when they reached about 5,000 posts, due to concerns about forum performance. Outside F&G there's a thread started in 2014 by Noclevername with 12,573 replies. (I hesitate to link to it, since it's been so nice and quiet the last month or two...)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Mercy, 1042 pages! There's some reality for you.

In other news, my wife is watching The Hitler Channel.

Andy Dalton (Bengal's QB) has a foundation for sick children. A lot of people in Buffalo are donating $17 each to the charity. Apparently, people are so grateful for that last minute touch down, the foundation received over $100,000, and is pushing $170,000 from Buffalo fans alone.

Nice.
    Solfe