Page 295 of 295 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295
Results 8,821 to 8,824 of 8824

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

My wife and I have been watching the live Tour de France coverage as usual. After an ad break the local broadcaster will occasionaly show a quick montage of scenic highlights, interesting fans etc from the previous hour or so of the coverage. These are usually accompanied by jaunty music of some sort. The last one was mostly showing the riders going across a long dam wall - accompanied by the theme from "The Dam Busters"! (i.e the Dam Busters March)

Due to a post on another forum, I have just reviewed the trials and tribulations of Simple Graphics Man. You should too.

Stuff that bugs me: Thetherd Cow Ahead is no longer updated.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Due to a post on another forum, I have just reviewed the trials and tribulations of Simple Graphics Man. You should too.
    I'm alarmed by the instruction to "Apply Moving Force On Narrow Dimension". A classic example of people using a Big Word when a Short Word is clearer. You apply the force to a side, not a dimension. And you apply the force on the narrow side, but at right angles to the narrow dimension.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

One of the communal mugs at my school says "I am silently correcting your grammar," so I used it for my coffee.

Of course, I correct students' grammar.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.