Page 303 of 305 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305 LastLast
Results 9,061 to 9,090 of 9141

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

"Friendzone," as far as most women I know are concerned, is a term that means "it turns out you won't change the nature of our relationship to fit my expectations just because I've put enough Nice Guy tokens in."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    "Friendzone," as far as most women I know are concerned, is a term that means "it turns out you won't change the nature of our relationship to fit my expectations just because I've put enough Nice Guy tokens in."
    If you are making token efforts to get someplace, then the "friendzone" is right where you need to be. "You are not annoying enough to be treated roughly". Perhaps we should call it the "penalty box". Unfortunately, that implies that someone will let you out at some point. "Jail" is a little too harsh, but a lot closer to the right idea.

I amused my professor today with a definition of poetry:

Me: "Poetry is something terrible you do to someone or something you love deeply."
    Professor: "Well that's a new definition; I think I'll add it to the list (in the learning module) next time!"

At least, "an inept person's version of poetry". I do like other people's poetry, but mine is horrible.

To circle back to the other post, poetry will not get you out of the "friendzone". It is actually worse than inept poetry because of all of social conventions it will violate, even if it is really good. What I find amusing about this is, someone gets the idea from Shakespeare and then tries to implement it in their own life not realizing that Shakespeare is really awesome even when he tries to be horrible. That is like trying to fly an airplane based on the idea that you can fold some paper. Crash and burn.
    Solfe

I thought of something really funny that I had the misfortune of witnessing. A good friend of mine wanted to ask a girl out, so he wrote her a poem. He then realized that his computer didn't have the calligraphy font installed, so he gave up. The young woman in question had the same idea, but tried to write her poem like Shakespeare. Her spellcheck ran riot and ruined it. She too was defeated.

I saw this technological tragedy play out from both sides. At lunch I blurted out, "Why don't you go to the movies or something?" Both took it as an invitation and I got this strange call asking where I was, telling me I only had 20 minutes to get there before the movie started.

The next day they came into lunch holding hands. They asked why I didn't show. People, get with the program.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    If you are making token efforts to get someplace, then the "friendzone" is right where you need to be. "You are not annoying enough to be treated roughly". Perhaps we should call it the "penalty box". Unfortunately, that implies that someone will let you out at some point. "Jail" is a little too harsh, but a lot closer to the right idea.
    You're joking, right?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I don't think this is right AT ALL. I think we're all making something even more melodramatic out of this. "Friend zone" is just a semi-serious modern term for an unrequited ... love (maybe?) or crush, where the other person isn't interested in taking that friendship or 'relationship' into more intimate territory. I've never heard anyone use it without some deliberate irony, and if people are seriously thinking it is some sort of prison or penalty box, I'd consider advising the other person to get a restraining order.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You're joking, right?

Grant Hutchison
    I know, right?

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2018-Oct-04 at 11:02 AM.
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

6. 2018-Oct-04, 11:01 AM
    Reason
    duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    I don't think this is right AT ALL. I think we're all making something even more melodramatic out of this. "Friend zone" is just a semi-serious modern term for an unrequited ... love (maybe?) or crush, where the other person isn't interested in taking that friendship or 'relationship' into more intimate territory. I've never heard anyone use it without some deliberate irony ...
    Take a look at this article from GQ:
    We all fear the friend zone; it’s a form of rejection just like any other. But here's how to deal with it like a gentleman.
    I was desperate for my irony-detectors to kick in while I was reading it. Average age of a GQ reader? 35. (Yeah, not 15.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

[heavy sigh]
    I sometimes really just want to give up.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

mmm... fried zone. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    [heavy sigh]
    I sometimes really just want to give up.
    Life is so much easier if you learn to embrace the despair.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

There are plenty of people who use the term without irony. Look at the "incel" types, for example, who use it as a[nother] way to blame women for their own issues.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I had to google “incel”.

Almost wish I hadn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Involuntary celibate".

They assume that getting sex is something that should happen on their own demand, instead of as part of a relationship.

They don't see women as persons, just as a source of THEIR pleasure.

Creeps.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    There are plenty of people who use the term without irony. Look at the "incel" types, for example, who use it as a[nother] way to blame women for their own issues.
    Yes, that's true. I didn't mean to imply that everyone uses it with humor or irony. Certainly the people I am acquainted with have, but they are not part of the MRA or incel nutters.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

You're joking, right?

Grant Hutchison
    A little bit*. I am labeled "sometimes amusing".

Edit - If you have a crush, at least your motivation is understandable. However, if this isn't your motivation, then put the joking aside. You are too much trouble to deal with.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Oct-05 at 12:22 AM.
    Solfe

Edit - If you have a crush, at least your motivation is understandable. However, if this isn't your motivation, then put the joking aside. You are too much trouble to deal with.
    Who over the age of 14 actually has a "crush"? Really?
    Grown-ups are not helpless victims of their impulses, women do not surround themselves with SDI exclusion zones, and adolescent males (of all ages) really do not need this idea to be formalized with a label.

Or so it seems to me.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Arrested development is an ongoing, serious and largely unrecognized and unaddressed problem in our culture. Adults* here act like children, then complain that children "grow up too fast".

*Particularly but not exclusively overprivileged white males

The pile of labels thrown around in this thread is reaching space elevator levels.

Accurate labels, though, for the most part.

So, back to amusing because the other stuff ceased to be amusing...

I got a call offering to make my website #1 on the Google Searche Engine. Usually, I hang up but today I answered the phone "Digame. Hablas espanol?"
    The response was mock Spanish: "Una mementa por favor." They were transferring me to the Spanish line.
    I got the Google search engine spiel in Spanish. I responded with my best German accent: "HA-Be-Low ENG-lesh?" The person said, "Please hold, por favor" and transferred me again.

I managed to repeat the cycle six times over a 20 minute period. I may make a game of this.
    Solfe

Solfe yo reminded me of something that happen while working at a call center. It was inbound only. making hotel reservations for hotels around the world. Once and a while you get a guy who just wanted to talk to the woman or just hear their voices. On night a woman gets one of these calls and says "do you speak English?", then goes "French?", then on to German, finally you hear very loudly "DO YOU SPEAK SWAAAHHHIIILLLIII?". I don't think we heard from him for the rest of the night.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Solfe yo reminded me of something that happen while working at a call center. It was inbound only. making hotel reservations for hotels around the world. Once and a while you get a guy who just wanted to talk to the woman or just hear their voices. On night a woman gets one of these calls and says "do you speak English?", then goes "French?", then on to German, finally you hear very loudly "DO YOU SPEAK SWAAAHHHIIILLLIII?". I don't think we heard from him for the rest of the night.
    I used to work at a call center and one woman would call from a psychiatric institution just to speak to people outside of her personal environment. Sometimes the calls would end with what sounded like a physical restraint leading to a chemical restraint. We created a system to identify this caller from the caller ID info. It would put up warnings and suggested lines of conversation in a pop up box. We didn't want to ruin her day, she was pretty harmless to us but was occasionally violating some rule or convention in her current location. We'd have no idea about that situation, but one wrong turn could send her down that path.

Sometimes the call center would transfer her to me, because I was working on tech projects which were boring. Labor intensive, but no brain power required. I could talk to her for hours if needed. I still remember her name a decade later.

The pop-up system went on to be very useful for detecting scammers, but in training we called them "elevated calls". We didn't want people ignoring the pop-up instructions because they assumed everyone was a scammer. We didn't want people being treated rudely just because of a computer system. We'd train from the perspective that sometimes people had special situations that had special sets of instructions or guidelines.
    Solfe

We had a lady that was similar. She was called the dream lady because it was the hotel she called, she just start telling her life story over the lines. Every once and while the account the hotel was a fairly slow one then it was busy because she kept calling them and they would just release the call.

One account was for hotels at a major them park, that was just a magnet for kids to keep calling. On the hotel group mention above there was a bunch of kids calling from England, one person dealing with the "What is police in England?', I said "MI5 is internal security." and she "MI5 is tracking this call?". That ended that.

That the new Doctor and my niece have the same first name, maybe we'll watch it tomorrow together. I probably should find a way to record anyway you don't know what is going happen during thanksgiveig dinner.

That the new Doctor and my niece have the same first name, maybe we'll watch it tomorrow together. I probably should find a way to record anyway you don't know what is going happen during thanksgiveig dinner.
    That's tomorrow? I am going to have to watch. Thanks for the heads up.
    Solfe

Your niece's first name is "Doctor"?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

your niece's first name is "doctor"?

Grant hutchison
    lol!
    Solfe

Your niece's first name is "Doctor"?

Grant Hutchison
    Maybe someday she has the brains for it.

your niece's first name is "doctor"?

Grant hutchison
    lol!
    That's interesting. Where did all the capital letters in my original post go?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Grant Hutchison
    I think they are automatically devolved to lower case. I noticed one of my posts that had a brief capitalized line was done the same way. I confess I rather like it, gets rid of the "screamers", though when using acronyms it could be a problem... but I haven't noticed that, either, so maybe acronyms are vetted to go through as capitals.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Grant Hutchison
    I think perhaps something broke. There was a rule that you couldn't' post all capitals like BRIAN BLESSED* and the system would take out consecutive capitals but leave everything else. Now it seems to wipe them all out when that is the only thing you do. I don't recall it attacking quoted text before now.

*Some software is set up to find the words "Brian Blessed" and make it all capital, as a joke.
    Solfe