Page 304 of 308 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,120 of 9212

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I think they are automatically devolved to lower case. I noticed one of my posts that had a brief capitalized line was done the same way. I confess I rather like it, gets rid of the "screamers", though when using acronyms it could be a problem... but I haven't noticed that, either, so maybe acronyms are vetted to go through as capitals.
    These weren't screamers - they were appropriate single capitals at the start of names and sentences. Three disappeared, one stayed intact.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    These weren't screamers - they were appropriate single capitals at the start of names and sentences. Three disappeared, one stayed intact.
    My apologies, I never meant to say you were a screamer. You certainly are not.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    My apologies, I never meant to say you were a screamer. You certainly are not.
    It never occurred to me that you could be implying such a thing. Just pointing out that it would a very poor screamer filter that removed single, grammatically appropriate capitals.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

It never occurred to me that you could be implying such a thing. Just pointing out that it would a very poor screamer filter that removed single, grammatically appropriate capitals.

Grant Hutchison
    It's especially interesting that Backroads Astronomer quoted the same post 15 minutes later, and all the capitals were left intact.

I wonder if Solfe copied into another piece of software for editing, and the copy/paste or other software did something...?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It's especially interesting that Backroads Astronomer quoted the same post 15 minutes later, and all the capitals were left intact.

I wonder if Solfe copied into another piece of software for editing, and the copy/paste or other software did something...?
    That's what I was expecting. I quoted myself when I was replying to Solfe, and all the capitals carried over properly - I had to edit to match the text in Solfe's post.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

that's what i was expecting. I quoted myself when i was replying to solfe, and all the capitals carried over properly - i had to edit to match the text in solfe's post.

Grant hutchison
    lol!

Edit - Nope. All I do is hit "reply with quote" and type in "LOL!" Everything looks fine until I hit post.

Edit 2 - It appears that it changes the caps in every case except when proceeded by a carriage return.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2018-Oct-06 at 08:54 PM.
    Solfe

Coming back to amusing.

I went to Tim Horton's and the four women working inside thought it would be amusing to use Dick Van Dyke's Mary Poppins accent while working the drive thru. It was amusing until they started saying random words just because they sounded funny. Job quality broke down and half a dozen cars were sitting there with the orders ready, but all mixed up.

"Wut?"
    "Stop talking like that! What is all this?"
    "No really. Wut are you talking about?"
    "Dammit I need a double-double, a single-single, a poppy muffin and...!"
    "Right!"
    "No! Don't start that again!"
    "Wut?"
    "Arrgggh."
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    lol!

Edit - Nope. All I do is hit "reply with quote" and type in "LOL!" Everything looks fine until I hit post.

Edit 2 - It appears that it changes the caps in every case except when proceeded by a carriage return.
    Can confirm.

Select a random post. Click "Reply with Quote". Type "LOL!". Click "Go Advanced". On the advanced edit page, the text will all be de-capitalized as Solfe says.

It's correcting the capitalization because the text being newly added is entirely in caps, but it's correcting everything, including the quoted text.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

We are watching the Yankees vs the Red Sox. The managers of both teams are brothers of former Seattle Mariners infielders.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My son cracks me up. He's playing a video game online and someone on his team goofed something up. He belts out: "I haven't been this disappointed... since yesterday!"
    Solfe

We just shooed a bird out of the house. No idea how it got inside.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    We just shooed a bird out of the house. No idea how it got inside.
    When we've had that problem, a cat was involved.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When we've had that problem, a cat was involved.
    In my experience, cats usually have a man on the inside.

This one's for BigDon. This week, a Belgian F16 shot down another fighter with its board gun. Now rare as such an event might be, it's extra special since the other fighter was not some vintage dog but a heavily updated F16. And it's extra extra special since he managed to make the kill using practice ammo rather than real bullets. It's extra extra extra special since both F16's were standing on the ground, with no crew in them. Maintenance mishap...One F16 totally burnt out, two other slightly damaged. Think of the horror of having to fill out the paperwork after that... Less amusing is that two maintenance crew have hearing damage, hopefully temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    This one's for BigDon. This week, a Belgian F16 shot down another fighter with its board gun. Now rare as such an event might be, it's extra special since the other fighter was not some vintage dog but a heavily updated F16. And it's extra extra special since he managed to make the kill using practice ammo rather than real bullets. It's extra extra extra special since both F16's were standing on the ground, with no crew in them. Maintenance mishap...One F16 totally burnt out, two other slightly damaged. Think of the horror of having to fill out the paperwork after that... Less amusing is that two maintenance crew have hearing damage, hopefully temporarily.
    Story from The Express about it

More detailed story from an aviation website
    On 12 October, Aviation24.be received more information on the incident: a technician was working on an F-16 when he accidentally activated the six-barrels 20mm Vulcan M61A-1 canon of that F-16. The canon was loaded and some bullets hit another F-16AM (FA-128). That aircraft had just been refuelled and was – together with another F-16 – being prepared for a (training) mission. Due to the bullets, the F-16AM exploded and damaged the other F-16.
    Can one say it was "shot down" if the aircraft is sitting on the ground?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Well you can certainly say it was shot up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never worked F-16s but if they're like other fighters of their era, a number of things had to go wrong for this to happen...weight-off-gear switch, ground safety lockout pin(s), etc.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We received a grant for any type of school field trip. I suggested Skyzone, a trampoline park. The second I got the word out, the reaction was eye rolling and everyone in the room said in unison: "We are not allowed to go there any more." Apparently, some activities do not mix well with 30 students on random parts of the autism spectrum.

I should know this. Last week, we encountered a barn cat on an outing and one frozen student resulted in 4 other frozen students. I had to go move the cat before I could load them back in the van.

On the other hand, I had four of five student behave extraordinary well for the whole week. Student #5 is merely loud and there is a sinus cold running through the school. She is usually categorized as heart-breakingly cute. I had to excuse staff from the room so they could get a break from the shouting, giggling and carrying on. Normally it isn't an issue, but when your sinus already hurt, very loud voices are horrible. Luckily, I was not sick this week.

In case you were wondering how loud she can be, all of the students have noise cancelling headphones. They would rather leave the room than use them, but we have 'em.
    Solfe

There have been some serious injuries in trampoline parks in Canada, most likely in the states as well. Here is a report from marketplace on them. You can get injured at home as well, my youngest niece broke her ankle while at one her friends houses last year.
    https://youtu.be/ZFOcCOCzVEw
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There have been some serious injuries in trampoline parks in Canada, most likely in the states as well. Here is a report from marketplace on them. You can get injured at home as well, my youngest niece broke her ankle while at one her friends houses last year.
    https://youtu.be/ZFOcCOCzVEw
    Apparently, the only injuries on our outings were employees. The kiddos did just fine.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Apparently, the only injuries on our outings were employees. The kiddos did just fine.
    I once saw a kid bounce right over a safety wall onto a concrete floor in such a place. Fortunately there was no real injury. Apparently he jumped off a higher platform or object onto the trampoline.

When they were younger my niece and nephew were forbidden to use them for that safety reasons. Only bounce houses with bouncy walls. (We did go out of our way to seek such opportunities for them.) Now they're a little older and more responsible, so they're allowed trampoline privileges, ziplines, and even rope courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Depends: did it sink through the remains of its landing gear or not...

I once saw a kid bounce right over a safety wall onto a concrete floor in such a place. Fortunately there was no real injury. Apparently he jumped off a higher platform or object onto the trampoline.

When they were younger my niece and nephew were forbidden to use them for that safety reasons. Only bounce houses with bouncy walls. (We did go out of our way to seek such opportunities for them.) Now they're a little older and more responsible, so they're allowed trampoline privileges, ziplines, and even rope courses.
    When I was a kid, my cousin had a trampoline. It was so close to the house, it seemed easy enough to jump right on to the roof. One day, I tried and missed by about seven feet. Another time, they convinced my grandmother to get on it. She ended up going to the hospital for her back. Just wrenched muscles, but it was pretty bad.
    Solfe

The other issue is large kids using the trampoline along with small kids - the energy transfer can chuck a little kid quite a long way.
    I never understood trampolines as a potential source of entertainment for kids, even when I was a kid - up and down, up and down, up and down ... OK, that's me done with that.
    And the worst sporting injury I ever saw was from a trampoline - a 20-year-old man almost bled to death on me.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

"you're doing it wrong". We have a trampoline at home for the kids. Endless fun for them. The trampoline is dug into the ground so you can't fall from a height, its edge protected with foam padding. sure things could still go badly wrong, but so could it when playing soccer. They find endless pleasure in the trampoline: from the basic jumping up and down to somersaulting, using it to practice other gymnastic moves, playing with skippy balls on it (sounds really dangerous, but they tend to dampen rather than amplify each other), to just using the black surface as a warm and dry playing surface on colder days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    "you're doing it wrong".
    Which one?
    Me - I was just bored by it. I can remember asking, "Is this all you do?" as the other kids merrily bounced around and somersaulted. (I was often baffled by the activities of other children, when I was a child.)

The guy who nearly died - a gymnast competing at international levels, who injured himself during a practice session.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Both and neither. You only like what you like, and accidents can happen. I also know of a gymnast instructor who fell on the edge of a trampoline and through bad luck got completely paralyzed.

Deleted two different stories about gymnastics, because they weren't amusing.

Tonight I managed to make eggs, perfectly folded in half with a wrist flip instead of a spatula. I was impressed. I'd post a picture, but this isn't Instagram.
    Solfe

You mean one can eat food without taking a photo of it?

When I was in High School, I recall hearing a live broadcast of Pink Floyd's The Wall from Berlin, as the wall came down. I found it incredible that I was hearing news, music and current events from half a world away in near real time. It really blew my mind.

This morning, I made a cup of coffee, logged in here and chit-chated with people all over the world like it was nothing. Amazing.
    Solfe