Page 306 of 308 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308 LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,180 of 9212

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Had to email a company today to tell them they'd sent me the wrong set of kit decals - I ordered 1/48 USAAF stencils, and got 1/72 RAF Buccaneer.
    Just received their prompt reply, which begins:
    "That's an amazing coincidence. We've just received a complaint from someone who order 1/72 RAF Buccaneer decals, and received 1/48 USAAF stencils."
    (They go on to apologize, tell me they've already mailed the replacement, and say I should just keep the erroneous shipment.)

Grant Hutchison
    That is the way to handle mistakes - a bit of humour, correcting the error immediately and compensating you for their mistake.

Why is it when I decide to reorganize things just get worse.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That's why I only try to de-organize. And so far I'm doing a bang-up job!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I think I am the reason for entropy in the universe.

"If you put everything back where it belongs, how am I supposed to find anything?"

I think I am the reason for entropy in the universe.
    Informational or thermodynamic?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I believe that's a corollary to Hutchison's Corollary to the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics:
    It's impossible to get anything clean without getting something else dirty.
    However, it is possible to get everything dirty without making anything clean.
    Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

It didn't amuse me 35 years ago, but it does now: My father upset that my mother had reorganized his workshop, and my mother upset that my father had reorganized her kitchen. And yes, it was his workshop, and her kitchen.

We have a new house. I'm letting my wife organize the kitchen but it'll be me organizing the pantry. Make that MY pantry.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    It didn't amuse me 35 years ago, but it does now: My father upset that my mother had reorganized his workshop, and my mother upset that my father had reorganized her kitchen. And yes, it was his workshop, and her kitchen.
    My father graciously extended my mother's territory to "her phone" and "her doorbell". ("That's your phone ringing!") He was not a man who cared to risk uncontrolled social interactions.
    Indeed, the two occasions in my life when my father answered the phone when I called were heartsink moments for me - it meant my mother was seriously incapacitated in some way.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Last time I ordered checks from our main bank I didn't get too many as I knew we would be moving. We moved four days ago. I wrote the last one this morning. Guess I'd better place an order! Fortunately we opened an account at a local bank some months ago because we were getting our loan from them so I can use that one.

Not looking forward to all the address change notifications I've got to do. Guess I'll make a spreadsheet, because when the only tool you've got is Excel, every problem looks like one.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    My father graciously extended my mother's territory to "her phone" and "her doorbell". ("That's your phone ringing!") He was not a man who cared to risk uncontrolled social interactions.
    Indeed, the two occasions in my life when my father answered the phone when I called were heartsink moments for me - it meant my mother was seriously incapacitated in some way.

Grant Hutchison
    My wife has her wedding and her bedroom.
    Solfe

My former company, like many big corporations, went through a great many Management-Fads-of-the-Week. If Toyota did it, that was a plus. One of the more useful was STP -- Situation, Target, Proposal. What's happening, what should be happening, how do you get there. So I just applied two of those.
    Situation 1: I'm hungry.
    Target 1: Comfort food.
    Situation 2: We've been in our new house and I haven't cooked on the gas cooktop!
    Target 2: Cook on the cooktop.

Proposal: Grilled Cheese Sandwich!

Did you know a Wolf cooktop can burn a grilled cheese in about 10 seconds?

Just be careful when you wolf them down they might still might be hot.

I've started making them in the oven and am delighted with the results.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... Fortunately we opened an account at a local bank some months ago because we were getting our loan from them so I can use that one. ...
    Just a heads up about new checking accounts. Many merchants use a service to confirm your checking account is good. "Good" meaning you've written lots of checks and none have bounced.

A new account won't have a history to check. The service may therefor refuse to confirm that your new account is good, even though you've written thousands of checks on the old account with no bouncers. Paying by mail should be no problem, but if you try using a check in person at a store they may refuse to accept it.

(This happened to my wife after we switched banks a few years ago. I had to drive to the grocery store and use my debit card to retrieve our food. When I called the service about it and gave them the information on our old account, they said they'd tie the two accounts so this wouldn't happen again. And, of course, I should have called them before all this happened.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

We've had the second account for six months or so. It's probably ok.

I remember some places saying that they souldn't take a check with a number less than 200 (or something). They meant the sequential number, figuring that "3" meant a very new account. Or maybe they all start at 101, in which case anything much less than 200 would be suspect.

At the same time, when I ordered new checks at my bank, they asked me what number I wanted them to start with. I guess I should have asked for six digits!

That is interesting about sequential numbers being of concern with cheques in your country. It seems that checks ( cheques) are in use far more in the US.than over here. I would probably only write a cheque every couple of months. Almost all our commercial transactions are electronic. I had a quick look and cheque usage in Australia had dropped by 70% in the last decade.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Oct-31 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    That is interesting about sequential numbers being of concern with cheques in your country. It seems that checks ( cheques) are in use far more in the US.than over here. I would probably only write a cheque every couple of months. Almost all our commercial transactions are electronic. I had a quick look and cheque usage in Australia had dropped by 70% in the last decade.
    I'm not sure it is that different. I too only write a few checks a year (everything else is electronic). We do it so infrequently that our checks still have our old address on them (we moved 4 years ago). No one seems to care that it is the old address, so I haven't bothered getting new checks.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'm not sure it is that different. I too only write a few checks a year (everything else is electronic). We do it so infrequently that our checks still have our old address on them (we moved 4 years ago). No one seems to care that it is the old address, so I haven't bothered getting new checks.
    Ah well, jumping to conclusions without evidence - isn't that what the internet is for?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Heck, until last month, our checks had our old Bank on them! Wells Fargo bought Wachovia in 2008 but the checks still cleared. I finally bought new checks only because we were running out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Ah well, jumping to conclusions without evidence - isn't that what the internet is for?

I've had my checking account for . . . eight years? I've never had checks. I used to get one cashier's check a month, which I'd give to Graham to cover my share of bills. These days, we don't even have to go into the bank. I can transfer it directly from my credit union to his using my computer.

This morning, I heard a radio commercial for hip replacement surgery . . . on the local alternative station, the radio station that broke the news of Kurt Cobain's death.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    This morning, I heard a radio commercial for hip replacement surgery . . . on the local alternative station, the radio station that broke the news of Kurt Cobain's death.
    That makes me laugh and feel old.

I pay pretty much all my bills by check because I'm, you know, old.

I pay pretty much all my bills online because I'm, you know, a lazy old man.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I keep wondering when I will be able to do all my business without ever writing a cheque. I've long used online banking for all my regular bills, but there always seem to be some oddball payments that need to be done by cheque. I've written 121 cheques in the last 16.5 years, and 20 of them were in the last five years.

I don't pay any of my regular, recurring bills with a paper check. I pay one by payroll deduction and another by phone because they deactivated the online feature. Everything else is paid online.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

My wife handles the finances, thank heaven.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)