Page 307 of 308 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308 LastLast
Results 9,181 to 9,210 of 9212

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Getting ready to go to bed and saw a blinker light on a car pulled over to the side of the road. Got my rain stuff on and cell phone then walked to the car. The Woman inside was just on her cell phone. It happens all the time, if I see them I go to check just in case.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    ... It happens all the time, if I see them I go to check just in case.
    Good for you.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

The young woman who gave me my flu vaccination yesterday had a spider's web tattooed beneath the outer corner of her eye, complete with spider. That seemed ... ill-considered.
    But then I met two other members of staff with the same tattoo on my way out of the building. Ah-ha. Up to that point I'd forgotten it was Halloween, so it was a timely reminder to go into hiding for the evening.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ...it was a timely reminder to go into hiding for the evening.
    Anybody know where I can find some eggs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Anybody know where I can find some eggs?
    Yeah - that's all part of the modern approach to raising tiny extortionists, isn't it?

Actually, I used to really enjoy Halloween back in the days of the Scottish tradition of "guising" - when kids would "dress up" in a cowboy hat or Mum's cardigan supplemented by a charcoal moustache, would visit a couple of neighbours they knew well, would perform some sort of song or dance or other party piece, and would take away some coins or an apple in recognition of their efforts. It was couthy and relaxed and the kids were taught they should make an effort to earn a reward. The last gasp of that tradition must have been at least fifteen years ago, when three girls appeared at the door wearing paper hats covered in glitter, and sang a little round of Row Your Boat, with synchronized actions. We asked for an encore, and they did an amazing rendering of Only You.
    But that's all been replaced by Trick or Treat now. (I can actually remember reading about it in an American comic when I was a kid, and being shocked to the core of my Scottish Presbyterian upbringing by the whole concept.)

We also have Guy Fawkes Night coming up soon in the UK. Kids would bring around the Guy they'd built themselves and were going to burn in effigy on November 5th (hopefully under adult supervision), and ask for a "penny for the Guy". (I know, I know - it gets more disturbing the more you think about it.)
    But a couple of years ago I answered a ring at the doorbell to discover a hulking fifteen-year-old, taller and broader than me, holding up a skateboard on which he'd drawn a smiley face in marker pen. "Penny for the Guy, pal?" he said, in vaguely threatening tones.
    "You're joking," I said.
    "Worth a try," he said. He took our gate off the hinges on the way out.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

(Since I figured this out, it amuses rather than bugs.)

The last week or so I've been getting calls to my cell phone from numbers I don't recognize. I let them go to VM ... if it's important, they'll leave one. A couple of them left a VM, about wanting to make an offer on our house.

Now, we get mailers every now and again from companies making random offers JIC, so I thought the calls were the same. But there were lots of them, 2-3 each day.

Then I got a more detailed VM. "Peggy, this is Ashley from "Home Realty." I see your MLS listing is about to expire. If you're looking for another realtor ..."

Someone named Peggy is trying to sell her home but MLS has the wrong phone number. Poor Peggy. She probably thinks no one wants her house.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Simon's bus driver yesterday afternoon and this morning was the old one, who pulls over to the side of the road. I told him how happy I am about this; he told me I'm the second person to have said that so far this morning.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

How much stuff you are not looking you find but you can't seem to find what you are looking for.

How much stuff you are not looking you find but you can't seem to find what you are looking for.
    Serendipity.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Serendipity.
    And the fact I haven't done a major clean up re-organization in a long time. For what I am looking for it should be here. Luckily no dead bodies yet.(joking)
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Nov-02 at 05:24 PM.

Luckily no dead bodies yet.(joking)
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Mystery giant O-rings.
    I've had a sticking valve on my airbrush recently, so I left the valve assembly to soak in a product called Liquid Reamer overnight. In the morning I had a gleamingly clean valve lying in the soaking pot ... along with an O-ring I'd never seen before, larger than any part of the airbrush. That was a surprise.
    Close inspection revealed a missing O-ring at the base of the valve assembly - which I'd forgotten to remove before soaking, and which now seemed to have expanded to three times its original diameter and fallen off the valve.
    I laid it out on a square of white paper to remind me to order a replacement - and came home a couple of hours later to discover it had returned to its normal size. It still seems to be pliant and compressible, and apparently none the worse for its flirtation with the Eat Me Cake. Remarkable.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I laid it out on a square of white paper to remind me to order a replacement - and came home a couple of hours later to discover it had returned to its normal size. It still seems to be pliant and compressible, and apparently none the worse for its flirtation with the Eat Me Cake. Remarkable.

Grant Hutchison
    Curiouser and curiouser.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Mystery giant O-rings.
    I've had a sticking valve on my airbrush recently, so I left the valve assembly to soak in a product called Liquid Reamer overnight. In the morning I had a gleamingly clean valve lying in the soaking pot ... along with an O-ring I'd never seen before, larger than any part of the airbrush. That was a surprise.
    Close inspection revealed a missing O-ring at the base of the valve assembly - which I'd forgotten to remove before soaking, and which now seemed to have expanded to three times its original diameter and fallen off the valve.

Grant Hutchison
    Richard Feynman would have liked to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Mystery giant O-rings.

Grant Hutchison
    I don't know liquid reamer but we use O rings of nitrile and sometimes silicone rubber. Nitrile is very good for water and we use silcone grease but vaseline or petrol or many other aromatics will cause it to swell and soften, although usually reversibly as you noted. I once developed an airbrush and used tiny nitrile o rings, noting in passing the remarkable accuracy and uniformity of their manufacture at such a low price. I would clean them with detergent in water or with a small ultrasound tank.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I'd replace that o-ring regardless. Seal incompatibility is a major issue for hydraulic system designers. A company I worked for had a huge lawsuit against a fluid supplier that promised compatibility with a particular rubber compound. Exhibit A was a set of rings that expanded just as you've described.
    Does the product say what's in it? And do you have any idea what the o-ring compound is? Likeliest compound is Buna-N/Nitrile.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

nerd point about o rings: standard practice has more than the o ring volume in the housing for tolerance but in vacuum work it is common to design a housing close to the O ring section area. The compression is at near constant volume in rubbers, this practice a) secures the O ring in the groove and b) forces more than usual contact area of the o ring in the closed joint. Even when forced square like that they seem to survive.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'd replace that o-ring regardless. Seal incompatibility is a major issue for hydraulic system designers. A company I worked for had a huge lawsuit against a fluid supplier that promised compatibility with a particular rubber compound. Exhibit A was a set of rings that expanded just as you've described.
    Does the product say what's in it? And do you have any idea what the o-ring compound is? Likeliest compound is Buna-N/Nitrile.
    If the current ring fails, I'll get an air leak through a tight metal junction driven by a ~12psi gradient, and a corresponding reduction in the air brush operating pressure. So it's not a critical failure mode. But I have a replacement on its way, anyway, and will fit it when it arrives.

Chemically, I'm in the dark with both products. It was certainly a dramatic effect, and all the more impressive for reversing itself in the space of a couple of hours.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

If the current ring fails, I'll get an air leak through a tight metal junction driven by a ~12psi gradient, and a corresponding reduction in the air brush operating pressure. So it's not a critical failure mode. But I have a replacement on its way, anyway, and will fit it when it arrives.

Chemically, I'm in the dark with both products. It was certainly a dramatic effect, and all the more impressive for reversing itself in the space of a couple of hours.

Grant Hutchison
    Xylene and acetone, i found on google, logical for cleaning airbrushes, acetone would cause swelling and the mechanism must be interesting. I find acetone excellent for small cuts, they heal very quickly, but it dissolves acrylic and can be used to solvent bond that plastic. Found in nail polish remover of course.
    sicut vis videre esto

Just turned on the TV and checked the US elections there a person running for the Governor of Maryland with the last name of Jealous.

Just turned on the TV and checked the US elections there a person running for the Governor of Maryland with the last name of Jealous.
    Is their opponent named N. Vious?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I can see a meeting and someone asking "Are you Jealous?'

He's Ben Jealous.

So have I, on occasion.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I’d bet he got a lot of ribbing in grade school.

BTW he lost the election, so he is allowed to live up to his name today.

Explaining thermodynamics to a five-year-old to get him dressed on a cold morning.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Explaining thermodynamics to a five-year-old to get him dressed on a cold morning.
    This should explain everything to him.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

There is a very scary video making its way around the Internet, showing the view out the windshield of a car as it flees one of the California wildfires. That is certainly not amusing.

What is amusing is the notice on the dashboard information system. It reads something like “You have new email. Would you like to read it?”

No! I’m a little busy right now!

I had a funny idea for a story. A kid in high school discovers his teacher uses an Apple II to create multiple choice tests. Instead of stealing a copy of the test so he can memorize the answers, he changes the test answers so that they always spell out "Abracadabra" without the r's. What could possibly go wrong?

Let us see how this scans out...
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    This should explain everything to him.

He claims to understand it now.

Extravoice, he saw your avatar and now is demanding to watch Underdog.

"You can't erase icing."