Page 280 of 291 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,400 of 8707

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Hmmm. I seem to have missed the entire rise and fall of the phrase "virtue signalling".
    It's annoying how ideas that are valid in a limited context blossom into a general usage that undermines their usefulness, which then in turn allows any residual use in a valid context to be dismissed.

Grant Hutchison
    Before this post, I had never heard of "virtue signalling".

I have very strong feelings about the term "political correctness", and in particular people who use it as a derogatory term to dismiss certain actions, policies, opinions, etc. Though of course there are exceptions, I think a lot of people who besmirch political correctness are actually looking for an excuse so that they continue to be rude and offensive.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I am still rather lost with virtue signalling is it Holier than thou? is it tied in with no platforming? is it the fear of causing offense? since I rarely use any social media I am missing some of the development of language, this forum is surely racy enough!
    Virtue signalling is sending signals to indicate you are a good person. It started life as part of signalling theory in evolutionary biology. The idea behind a "signal" in that context is that it is costly to the signaller, so must provide some sort of payback in terms of survival and reproduction. In that context, virtue signalling is peculiar to humans - by performing overt acts of charity or kindness, one increases one's attractiveness to mates (at least in some social settings). That's the only context I've ever heard it in, until now.
    But while I haven't been looking, it seems to have been appropriated as a pejorative term for people who advertise their self-perceived virtue by making ill-informed or poorly thought-through pronouncements couched in terms of morality, and then further appropriated in order to condemn any morally-couched statement with which the speaker disagrees. Biff-baff-boff, fast track to uselessness. The current usage entirely misses the evolutionary point of the original term, which was that the signal involves a cost to the signaller.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Virtue signalling is sending signals to indicate you are a good person. It started life as part of signalling theory in evolutionary biology. The idea behind a "signal" in that context is that it is costly to the signaller, so must provide some sort of payback in terms of survival and reproduction. In that context, virtue signalling is peculiar to humans - by performing overt acts of charity or kindness, one increases one's attractiveness to mates (at least in some social settings). That's the only context I've ever heard it in, until now.
    But while I haven't been looking, it seems to have been appropriated as a pejorative term for people who advertise their self-perceived virtue by making ill-informed or poorly thought-through pronouncements couched in terms of morality, and then further appropriated in order to condemn any morally-couched statement with which the speaker disagrees. Biff-baff-boff, fast track to uselessness. The current usage entirely misses the evolutionary point of the original term, which was that the signal involves a cost to the signaller.

Grant Hutchison
    Thank you. I learned at school that effusive apology could offset physical punishment which was a payback but then the British are accused of over apologising by people who never learned the usefulness thereof. However I do resonate with the appropriation of the moral high ground to which I do object on the grounds that all morality is either an improper appeal to a divinity or a failure to recognise the evolutionary basis of good behaviour or both. so I still spend energy opening doors for people and very few of them snarl at the virtue signalling I am sending. I have noticed that making the effort to find something positive to say in encounters is well worth the creative energy and becomes an habit. So in this recent use the idea that a virtue is a good thing and not just a mask for ignorance, or what we used to call (now I know asterisks are not allowed) so I will assume cultural alignment with what we used to call that.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Did I walk into the wrong room?

I thought this was Trivial Amusements.

(Insert Monty Python references here.)
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    There are days I wish I never knew about the internet.
    because it can be annoying and distracting.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

There are days I wish I never knew about the internet.
    Instead of messing with the clocks twice a year, couldn't we switch off the Internet for little bit?
    Solfe

Grant Hutchison
    I find it is much more rewarding to try to be nice on a daily basis while signaling that I am sometimes a jerk. People appreciate it more.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Did I walk into the wrong room?

I thought this was Trivial Amusements.

(Insert Monty Python references here.)
    All right, one upmanship, showing off, put downs, non sequitors, ...apart from those what has virtue signalling done for us?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

When I am about to dive into a thread or subject that I really shouldn't be messing with, I often remember the last time I over indulged on scotch. That was over 20 years ago, and it felt like having someone slam a door in my face, every second on the second all day long. As soon as that feeling comes on, I hit the "cancel post" button and move along. If for some reason I don't get that feeling... well, I regret those posts.

I need a gif or smiley that represents that feeling. Sound and wind would be a bonus.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    When I am about to dive into a thread or subject that I really shouldn't be messing with, I often remember the last time I over indulged on scotch. That was over 20 years ago, and it felt like having someone slam a door in my face, every second on the second all day long. As soon as that feeling comes on, I hit the "cancel post" button and move along. If for some reason I don't get that feeling... well, I regret those posts.

I need a gif or smiley that represents that feeling. Sound and wind would be a bonus.
    I only over indulged in whisky once, it was my friends fault before my wedding. The gif would have to feature rubber legs and violent irresistable rejection of the final ten shorts. It took me years of hard work to get back to liking whisky. I frequently fail to spot typos but the feeling is not even close, I thought I would die for about a week, the interval before the wedding.
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I only over indulged in whisky once, it was my friends fault before my wedding. The gif would have to feature rubber legs and violent irresistable rejection of the final ten shorts. It took me years of hard work to get back to liking whisky. I frequently fail to spot typos but the feeling is not even close, I thought I would die for about a week, the interval before the wedding.
    That happened at my wedding, too. It was crazy, but understandable accident. The power went out for most of the restaurant. The bar had intermittent power, so they could not dispense soda and other mixers reliably. They were unintentionally making light mixed drinks on the very heavy side. Many of our guests ended up taking cabs or staying overnight in the hotel. It was very bad, but we laugh about it now.

At someone else's wedding, me and a friend ordered Long Island Iced Teas. One each, that was more than enough. Another friend had one and mistook it for actual Iced Tea with a splash of liquor. Seven drinks later and the police and an ambulance was there. She was not feeling well and if we knew what had happened at drink two we would have stopped her. She thought she was going to drive home but ended up in the hospital. I felt very badly over that one, but was very glad my drinking buddy was a cop and got some co-workers to come in and fix it before she got to her car. She was very combative... it was ugly.

It was one of those situations that would be funny in a movie, but not really funny in real life. She couldn't stand, had the DJ microphone on one hand and a chunk of wedding cake in the other. She was shouting at people while trying to crawl to her car in fits and starts. She might have died if someone hadn't called for help. What really didn't help was the cake was from a different wedding reception in the next room. They were very displeased as she took it before they served it to their guests.
    Solfe

Yesterday while wondering around a Costco for the first time a grabbed a sample cup of some liquid, it was an alcoholic drink of some kind, far from enough to do any damage but it was first drink of that kind since about the year 2000.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Yesterday while wondering around a Costco for the first time a grabbed a sample cup of some liquid, it was an alcoholic drink of some kind, far from enough to do any damage but it was first drink of that kind since about the year 2000.
    That sounds unusual for Costco, at least in the USA. In 20+ years Iíve been shopping there Iíve never been offered any drink that contains alcohol, even including the so-called health drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For one thing, too many kids grabbing samples!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Well it had the burn of alcohol sort like mouthwash but the bottle it came out of had a name other than mouthwash. As I said too small to do anything. Also somewhat amusing was I did about half the suggest the steps for a day inside the Costco.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-12 at 04:42 PM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Simon, at four, is still very much a nudist. Irene will hand me clothing for her to wear, even when she's already wearing clothing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

In this storm I don't who I feel worse for a car dealership or a nursery that just re-opened on Monday.

Also one of moms cousins told her the souls look like toasters but to me they kind of look like shuttles or runabouts form star trek.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Looking at Pi day, as it's March 14th.

A co-worker pointed out some people (i.e. us who write dates correctly) use July 22nd; i.e. the 22/7 approximation.

On Wikipedia we noted that July 22nd is called "Pi Approximation Day".

So we did a quick play in Excel and confirmed that 22/7 is closer to Pi than 3.14

(I know this is ripe for nit picking on several specifics and precise definitions, and this could all go the way of an MDR thread ... but I 'aint justifying this post any more than I have.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

How many pages and how many bannings for a thread titled "3.14 = 22/7"?

Pi day at Cake Wrecks!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Our local TV weather forecaster started his bulletin tonight with a photograph of some mammatus clouds. "Which get their name," he said, "because of their ... um ... undulating nature."
    That's certainly an interesting take on the Latin word mamma.

Grant Hutchison

Right now we have a car trailer in our field and all you can see are the tops of the wheel wells and the ramps sticking up in the air.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I received a call on my mobile phone yesterday at 5 pm. It was an automated message from a physicians office reminding me of my appointment the next day. The robocall even used a garbled form of my name. Only problem: I didn't have an appointment because I am pretty sure I don't need the services of an OB/Gyn since I'm a 63-year-old, non-pregnant male.

Extra salt: the only way to cancel the appointment was to call the office and speak to a human, but the office was closed and the "appointment" was for about 8:30.

Turns out it was a computer glitch. The OB/Gyn is affiliated with the local hospital system (where I have been a patient) and they use a common reminder service.

Profuse apologies and chuckles from the nice woman who answered the phone. And I wasn't her only caller.

I have several times gotten text messages reminding me of non-existent appointments with an oral surgeon. I did actually use her services once, but that tooth is long gone. First time it happened I called them and the receptionist said "Thanks, I'll tell them it's doing it again."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    IOnly problem: I didn't have an appointment because I am pretty sure I don't need the services of an OB/Gyn since I'm a 63-year-old, non-pregnant male.
    Even if you were a 63-year-old pregnant male, I doubt if OB/Gyn would be your first port of call.

Grant Hutchison

Even if you were a 63-year-old pregnant male, I doubt if OB/Gyn would be your first port of call.

Grant Hutchison
    Guinness, perhaps. Or the Weekly World News.

I wonder how long it take the Doctor realize the difference.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I wonder how long it take the Doctor realize the difference.
    Hey hey! I resemble that remark! Well, sort of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spam callers... I find it amusing to answer, press whatever button is necessary to talk to an agent, then put the phone on speaker and go back to the conversation or TV show I was watching. Sometimes my kids will say things like: "Dad, do you know your on a call?" and I will reply: "Yes, if you're silent, he'll go away." A surprising number of people don't go away and I can hear the click click of a keyboard for a while.

It occurs to me that this tactic is great for the agent. Many call centers have a threshold of a 1-15 seconds to filter out hang ups and pranks, but then have a stat for how long you were on a call. Usually, the lower the number the better. Usually this is based on an average call time. So if the agent hangs out for 2 minutes or so, it looks like they are working when they really have dead air. Great for your stats.
    Solfe

That Easter Sunday and Aprils fools day is on the day.
    Don't Panic THGTTG