Page 272 of 275 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,160 of 8245

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

The T-800 (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) from the movie "The Terminator" operates using the same microprocessor as Bender from "Futurama", the 6502.

/also posted to "Leave a random fact" thread in Fun and Games
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The T-800 (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) from the movie "The Terminator" operates using the same microprocessor as Bender from "Futurama", the 6502.

/also posted to "Leave a random fact" thread in Fun and Games
    As does the VIC-20.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Was I the only one that thought Trash 80 hearing T-800?
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Was I the only one that thought Trash 80 hearing T-800?
    Yes, wrong processor.

Several decades ago, my company was selling a multi million dollar product controlled by the same processor as the TI 99-4A home computer.

We had a TI-99/4A with the voice synthesizer.

Stephen Hawking sounds just like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yes, wrong processor.

Several decades ago, my company was selling a multi million dollar product controlled by the same processor as the TI 99-4A home computer.
    I trust y'all put that early 16 bit to work better than they. I bought three at $49 each when they dumped them. It was over $500 with cassette and a color monitor, however. High expectations for the 16 bit didn't help.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

It's snowing and windy. The dog doesn't like to go outside in these conditions, but she was desperate. As she was doing her thing, a piece of bush broke off the neighbor's evergreens and rolled up our drive way like a tiny, green tumbleweed. The dog freaked and ran for the front door, barking like crazy. After 2 minutes of snarling at the window, she remembered she had to finish going to the bathroom.

So out we went again. She deliberately refused to look in it's direction while taking care of business. When she was done, she did that funny kicking thing dogs do. Then it turned into a barking hop at the bush that bothered her so much before.

Now what makes this so funny is, you'd think she was a tiny breed. Nope, she's a 60 lbs. German Shepard/Pointer mix. If anything should be nervous, it should be the bush.
    Solfe

It amuses me that there is a discussion going on at Spaceflight Now about whether the Tesla being launched by the Falcon 9 Heavy will actually be playing music, as it will be in a vacuum.
    It reminds me of the "tree falling in the woods" debate.

I also chuckle when I think about what some future civilization (human or other) would think if they find this thing.

It amuses me that there is a discussion going on at Spaceflight Now about whether the Tesla being launched by the Falcon 9 Heavy will actually be playing music, as it will be in a vacuum.
    It reminds me of the "tree falling in the woods" debate.

I also chuckle when I think about what some future civilization (human or other) would think if they find this thing.
    If Jack McDevitt writes any more Alex Benedict novels, I'm sure it will be retrieved and sold to the highest bidder by an antiques dealer.

Grant Hutchison

Last night, I was trying to go to sleep early. Irene wanted to watch TV and kept trying to hand me the remote.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have a professor that likes to write in the school's library books. I have noticed it on two different occasions. I have checked out a book for his class and then gone back to find writing on the very page I quoted or otherwise used that wasn't there before. What really amuses me is that these books all have one thing in common. The front page has a stamp with the professor's name on it. The stamp is rather large, like 4 inches by 4 inches. He only writes in these books, not other books without his name in them. He also has books which he wrote or contributed to in the stacks, but he doesn't write in these either.

Curious and curiouser.

Has he started loaning his own books to the library? Does he have so many books that he "gives" them to the library to clear shelf space at home? It is something stranger that that?
    Solfe

A neighbor in my apartment building donated a couple of boxes of
    books -- I think his entire collection on a specific historical subject
    that I'd expect to be of some interest here -- to the building's library.
    When he went looking for one of the books, he learned that they
    had been gotten rid of.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Perhaps he donated the books to the library, but still considers them his in some way. Therefore he can justify writing in them.

But I’m not trained in psychology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just before leaving for work my partner asked me if I'd set up the sky box to record "Murder In The Sun" she got very aggravated at my bemusement, "Murder in the sun?" I asked. "yes, you know the programme we watch every week!!!" After some back and forth, shortly before she got too angry I suddenly clicked in what she was talking about "you mean - Death In Paradise?" I asked. "Yes that's the one" she replied and off she went.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    A neighbor in my apartment building donated a couple of boxes of
    books -- I think his entire collection on a specific historical subject
    that I'd expect to be of some interest here -- to the building's library.
    When he went looking for one of the books, he learned that they
    had been gotten rid of.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    I've had nice collections on certain subjects that I no longer had any room for. However, I realized that no matter how nicely I bundled them up and documented their scarcity and value as a set, the library staff would at once break them up and try to sell each volume for a nickel apiece at the next book sale.

Perhaps he donated the books to the library, but still considers them his in some way. Therefore he can justify writing in them.

But I’m not trained in psychology.
    Strange, ainīt it?

Back to school for another professor. I like listening to Mike Duncanīs revolutionīs podcast. He often admits that he butchers word pronunciations. I had no idea how bad he was at Spanish until my Latin American professor pronounced several words and names that he used. My Spanish pronunciation is probably worse than Mr. Duncanīs but I could listen to my professor read the ingredients off a box of cornflakes all day long.
    Solfe

Have you ever wondered what would happen if Will Farrell and Phil Plait had a love child, well wait no more.
    https://www.cordhosenbeck.com/
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

One of my favorite new terms from Jeb Card is: Paranormal Unified Field Theory or Puft, the other term of his would not be allowed here.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Have you ever wondered what would happen if Will Farrell and Phil Plait had a love child, well wait no more.
    https://www.cordhosenbeck.com/
    That's hilarious!

There are a couple of first year history/civics/economics classes that I missed. I did the higher level stuff just fine, but Iīm still stuck taking these courses. One of the poorest parts of the experience is there is an online component where each student posts their opinion after reading the text and then critique each otherīs ideas. This gets pretty volatile, since it is largely politics. Since these are supposed to be freshmen classes, I canīt help but notice a significant lack of background knowledge. Wrong is wrong, but wrong and wacky is... interesting? Itīs basically the opposite of here, no rules, no moderation. Since this is my final semester in history, I donīt have much skin in the game so I tend to lose sight of what needs to happen.

I have taken to reading my posts to my children before hitting submit. They are going to be great editors someday. They have made me rewrite 8 posts out of a possible 4.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I trust y'all put that early 16 bit to work better than they. I bought three at $49 each when they dumped them. It was over $500 with cassette and a color monitor, however. High expectations for the 16 bit didn't help.
    As I recall, the TI-99 was going to be sold as a game system, but at the last minute they added a BASIC interpreter to make it a home computer. However, their BASIC has many differences from all others in syntax, plus the instructions went through a double interpretation to get to machine language. Therefore, no matter how tightly you wrote a program, it would run slower than most 8-bit interpreters. Their cassettes were quirky and their keyboard was a nightmare too.

Hi Solfe, I find that the problem is an appalling lack of knowledge of history, especially modern history , which when lacking, so colours their value structure that civil debate fails and chaos rears it's ugly head. Only accurate history can provide the foundation for such discussion.
    To quote John Adams :
    " Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. "

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I have taken to reading my posts to my children before hitting submit.
    That's one of the best things I've read so far this millenium.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    They are going to be great editors someday. They have made me
    rewrite 8 posts out of a possible 4.
    So is that.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Are you altogether sure about this, Microsoft?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	22934

There is a comedy tv show trope of a house being built over a property line. How would this happen, a careless builder, or a builder making subdivision and not caring how the houses lay. There have been a few property mix-ups where I live like someone thinking they owned a piece of property that they did not own or some cutting wood on some elses property.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Are you altogether sure about this, Microsoft?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win10.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	22934
    I actually like the picture you don't want to skype.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    There is a comedy tv show trope of a house being built over a property line. How would this happen, a careless builder, or a builder making subdivision and not caring how the houses lay. There have been a few property mix-ups where I live like someone thinking they owned a piece of property that they did not own or some cutting wood on some elses property.
    We bought a flat that had, in effect, been built over a property line, except in three dimensions.
    The flat was built into the roof-space of an old tenement building, with dormers front and back. The planners had bought the rights to the roof-space from the residents of the existing building. What they didn't realize, and didn't adequately research, was that the tenants actually owned the rights to the space above the building extending vertically from the floor-plan. When we bought the flat from the person who'd had it built, our lawyer didn't notice this problem either. So we lived in a space in which we owned the triangular prism enclosed by the slope of the original roof, but the residents owned the space outside the roof line, within our dormers.
    This caused some difficulty when we came to sell the property, and a lawyer more alert than ours picked up the problem.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We bought a flat that had, in effect, been built over a property line, except in three dimensions.
    The flat was built into the roof-space of an old tenement building, with dormers front and back. The planners had bought the rights to the roof-space from the residents of the existing building. What they didn't realize, and didn't adequately research, was that the tenants actually owned the rights to the space above the building extending vertically from the floor-plan. When we bought the flat from the person who'd had it built, our lawyer didn't notice this problem either. So we lived in a space in which we owned the triangular prism enclosed by the slope of the original roof, but the residents owned the space outside the roof line, within our dormers.
    This caused some difficulty when we came to sell the property, and a lawyer more alert than ours picked up the problem.

Grant Hutchison
    Thankfully that is something we do not have deal with here.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

The two things I mentioned above was because mostly because people couldn't read property maps.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

There was a story in my hometown recently that was somewhat similar, although there was no actual crossing of property lines. What happened was that a new house was built next to an existing house - both houses were close to the property line, and therefore quite close to each other, but apparently the building codes allow for a new structure to be built that close to an existing structure.

However - the existing house had a fireplace on that particular wall, and the fire code doesn't allow a fireplace that close to another structure. As such, the existing homeowners, who had lived there for several years, were told that it was now illegal for them to use their fireplace.

As you might expect, a legal battle ensued. In the end, it was determined that the neighborhood was a designated "historical district" and the new house did not meet the requirements for such a district and so should never have been approved, and the new house was ordered to be demolished. I, personally, find that result somewhat unsatisfying, as it doesn't really resolve the issue, which may crop up again in the future.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn