Page 273 of 288 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,190 of 8617

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If Jack McDevitt writes any more Alex Benedict novels, I'm sure it will be retrieved and sold to the highest bidder by an antiques dealer.
    micropitting adding to the charm

Years ago I was on a homeowners board, hoping to maintain civility. A homeowner had built a deck without first getting it approved, was allowed to submit for approval after the fact, but the building plans showed a one foot encroachment into a side setback. By the time I got involved, the board had already agreed to have a lawyer send a threatening letter. I disregarded warnings to not talk directly to the property owner and went over to see the deck firsthand. I noticed that the deck was slightly askew. The owner had struck a large rock while digging and had just shifted the corner away, out of the setback. Problem solved, no threatening letter was sent.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    I actually like the picture you don't want to skype.
    This morning it is correctly titled as The Enchantments, Washington. Not far from my old house, as the crow flies. This old crow would have had to hike, so I've never been there.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I actually like the picture you don't want to skype.
    I think Trebuchet was questioning the caption, "Pink Flamingos, Miami, Florida", rather than the intrinsic beauty of the scene (which I'll agree is quite lovely).
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

The discussions of land and building disputes reminds me that I'm pleased to live on 20 acres of woods in the middle of nowhere. Our nearest neighbor is about half a mile away (and sometimes, that seems too close...).
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I think Trebuchet was questioning the caption, "Pink Flamingos, Miami, Florida", rather than the intrinsic beauty of the scene (which I'll agree is quite lovely).
    Yeah, we're not really noted for our pink flamingo population in Washington State.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, we're not really noted for our pink flamingo population in Washington State.
    Not even this subspecies?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    The discussions of land and building disputes reminds me that I'm
    pleased to live on 20 acres of woods in the middle of nowhere. Our
    nearest neighbor is about half a mile away (and sometimes, that
    seems too close...).
    publius ???

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    You know, I haven't seen many?

Today was our district's preparation for preschool assembly. All parents whose children will be preschool age in September were invited to go to one of the local high schools to learn about their school and the school lunch program and so forth. We don't actually know what school we'll be in the zone for come fall--we're planning to buy a house soon--but I figured I should go, especially given a friend had agreed to watch the kids. The first person I saw was Simon's bus driver. Then, as I was settling into my seat in the auditorium, I saw a mom I knew from Simon's old playgroup. The temptation to whisper and giggle with her through the assembly--like high school students, in fact!--was enormous. Still, I did get a little information that was useful. I also discovered that there's an espresso stand in the high school.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Found out today the first mens hockey game is not until the 14th, there will be a lot of conflicted husbands and boyfriends that day.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    ... The temptation to whisper and giggle with her through the assembly--like high school students, in fact!--was enormous....
    Hah! When I was a teacher I had to endure numerous, required, boring and useless faculty assemblies. I noted that everybody in the audience was doing just what we condemned the kids that very day for doing, i.e., fidgeting, talking, staring out the window, doodling, dozing off ... . I try to remember that if I'm ever tempted to take a class -- I just know that I'd be a terrible student. Then again, I have such sympathy for whomever is in charge that I try to behave myself.

Found out today the first mens hockey game is not until the 14th, there will be a lot of conflicted husbands and boyfriends that day.
    I guess the National Hockey League players aren't participating in this cycle. That may make Team Canada's task a taller one.

I stumbled across a TV show called “Celebrity Big Brother,” and I have no idea who any of the “celebrities” are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I stumbled across a TV show called “Celebrity Big Brother,” and I have no idea who any of the “celebrities” are.
    That's usual for me. And, according to the magazines by the checkstands, none of the current celebrities have surnames.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Omarosa was whispering on the TV news just now as I read the
    quote of Gillianren in Don's post just above saying "The temptation
    to whisper ...." She was whispering in a clip from the program
    'Celebrity Big Brother' referred to by Extravoice two posts later.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I've just finished reading a book entitled Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?, about "celebrity culture", and apart from Paltrow herself (and a couple of famous actors mentioned in passing) I wouldn't recognize anyone else mentioned in the book, though some of the names seem familiar.

Grant Hutchison

I find that quite often they are "mentioned" but seldom " Celebrated "

When I was in high school a pair of friends stole dozens of pink flamingos and put them on the lawn in front of the school. The problem? The police were right behind them the whole time. And they had a list of every house the pair stole from. They didn´t have to pay to replace the flamingos, they had to go back to every house and apologize in person and put them back.

I am not exactly sure why the police didn´t stop them right away, but it was a very effective lesson. They did cuff them in front of their own home. Lesson received...
    Solfe

Back in university days, a friend of mine helped himself to one of the amber flashing lights that had been hung from the temporary barriers surrounding an excavation in the road. (Yeah, irresponsible. He was on his way home at two o'clock in the morning. Drink had been taken.) So he popped the light into a plastic carrier bag he had with him, and carried on walking up the road.
    After a while, he became aware of a police car driving slowly alongside him. The policeman wound down the window and shouted, "Where did you get that from, son?"
    "What?" he replied innocently.
    The policeman sighed. "Look at your bag, son."
    So he did. It was flashing on and off, brilliant amber.

They followed him back to where he'd stolen it, watched him hang it back in place, and then drove off.

Grant Hutchison

Slovenia, or Slovakia?

Canadian hockey team.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Back in university days, a friend of mine helped himself to one of the amber flashing lights that had been hung from the temporary barriers surrounding an excavation in the road. (Yeah, irresponsible. He was on his way home at two o'clock in the morning. Drink had been taken.) So he popped the light into a plastic carrier bag he had with him, and carried on walking up the road.
    After a while, he became aware of a police car driving slowly alongside him. The policeman wound down the window and shouted, "Where did you get that from, son?"
    "What?" he replied innocently.
    The policeman sighed. "Look at your bag, son."
    So he did. It was flashing on and off, brilliant amber.

They followed him back to where he'd stolen it, watched him hang it back in place, and then drove off.

Grant Hutchison
    One time, I was driving home past construction late at night. It was significant construction, they had dug out the center two lanes of the road to a depth of 6 feet. Then they erected those 3 foot high concrete barriers to stop people from driving into the hole. At a stop light the construction zone ended, leaving the intersection clear for traffic. It was an especially long light and I thought that I was stupid for not running the light at 3 am.

As I sat there, I noticed an amber blinking from the hole next to me. I got out and peered over the barrier and spotted a car, with a flashing yellow light stuck in the grill. The driver had no idea how they got down there. I looked back and there was construction barriers going back as far as I could see. I have no idea how he got down there, either.

The police showed up and it stopped being my problem. I´m glad I didn´t run the light.
    Solfe

Another thing just struck me as funny. For some reason, my wife´s family attracts the most inane and absurd questions. For me and my wife, the question was about the selection of our wedding date. We combined our birthdays, her birth month and my birthday. People asked ¨Why?¨, like it was a burning question. We tried answering, ¨because it´s a Friday in August¨ and ¨It´s our birthdays combined¨. No one would accept those answers. My wife happened to find a ¨On this day in history calendar¨ in a store and started answering :¨To commemorate the Battle of Greasy Grass.¨ Yeah, that is totally incorrect, that isn´t even the right date, but it stopped the questions.

Her brother always gets the question: ¨Oh, you like mushrooms?¨ every time he has a slice of pizza with mushrooms. He is usually the guy who order the pizza, so yeah, he likes mushrooms. What is odd is that every time he has a slice of pizza, someone will ask him that question. Even complete strangers. This is slightly confirmation bias, remembering only the times it is asked by a random person. But if no random person asks, a family member will say something about it, which causes a random person to ask the question themselves. Since he can´t wrap his mind around the idea that family member comment on the topic makes someone else really ask the question, he reacts negatively to it. That´s awkward. It is funny and freaky because he sets it up himself without realizing it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Another thing just struck me as funny. For some reason, my wife´s family attracts the most inane and absurd questions. For me and my wife, the question was about the selection of our wedding date. We combined our birthdays, her birth month and my birthday. People asked ¨Why?¨, like it was a burning question. We tried answering, ¨because it´s a Friday in August¨ and ¨It´s our birthdays combined¨. No one would accept those answers. My wife happened to find a ¨On this day in history calendar¨ in a store and started answering :¨To commemorate the Battle of Greasy Grass.¨ Yeah, that is totally incorrect, that isn´t even the right date, but it stopped the questions.

Her brother always gets the question: ¨Oh, you like mushrooms?¨ every time he has a slice of pizza with mushrooms. He is usually the guy who order the pizza, so yeah, he likes mushrooms. What is odd is that every time he has a slice of pizza, someone will ask him that question. Even complete strangers. This is slightly confirmation bias, remembering only the times it is asked by a random person. But if no random person asks, a family member will say something about it, which causes a random person to ask the question themselves. Since he can´t wrap his mind around the idea that family member comment on the topic makes someone else really ask the question, he reacts negatively to it. That´s awkward. It is funny and freaky because he sets it up himself without realizing it.
    My Dad can never remember that I dislike brussels sprouts. Every time we go to a restaurant and he suggests something from the menu involving them and I decline, he asks me "You don't like them?" as if I hadn't been expressing my dislike of brussels sprouts every time I was served them ever since I was little.

This evening I got a call from the auction company I work for asking me to help this Saturday and next. I knew about next weekend but this weekend threw me. The thing is that it is usually the same crowd that comes so unless they got some new stuff, I don't see the use.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

There is a fairly high probability that eventually you will change
    your mind about brussels sprouts. It's something that pretty much
    only adults like. I'm so old, I'll even eat asparagus. Sometimes.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    There is a fairly high probability that eventually you will change your mind about brussels sprouts. It's something that pretty much only adults like.
    I guess I’m odd in that respect. I’ve liked Brussels sprouts as far back as I can remember. Even odder, I suppose, is that my mother cooked the devil out of them so they were very soft, olive-colored things. These days, I don’t cook them so severely.

My wife had never had them until I introduced her to them, sautéed in a little bacon fat and apple cider vinegar, tossed with some of the bacon that gave up the fat.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Talking about odd questions, I was home on a visit some years ago when someone asked if we had any “black people” up here. It sounded cringe worthy to be sure but rather than being racist (this person was black) she just naively had it in mind that Alaskans were either white or “eskimos”. They were all she had seen in documentaries and other TV shows. Being unable to resist poking a little fun, I replied “Yes...and they’re both really nice people.” She caught on immediately of course and got a kick out of it.

She was surprised to learn just how much of a melting pot we are: Alaska natives of various descent, white, black, Asian, Polynesian, Hispanic...from all parts of the U.S., Europe, Mexico, Central and South America, Russia, China, Japan, various Southeast Asian countries, everywhere really. Last I heard the statistic cited, students in the Anchorage School District comprise native speakers of 99 languages.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    There is a fairly high probability that eventually you will change
    your mind about brussels sprouts. It's something that pretty much
    only adults like. I'm so old, I'll even eat asparagus. Sometimes.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    But fresh asparagus are lovely - lightly fried in a pan with olive oil, garlic & salt.

I want to like asparagus. It looks good and I try it from time to time, hoping that my taste has changed. But I’ve only had it a couple times when I enjoyed it.

Canadian hockey team.
    They're missing out if they aren't watching the women's hockey, there are some great games.