Page 263 of 265 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265 LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,890 of 7933

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Me giving advice to a friend about his cabinet making business.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    Hi, When I do any jobs like this , I keep my friend, the Metric Vise-grips close and handy.
    Good when separating fittings, good for holding pipes and tubing,hot or cold, and there's less chance of transferring residual oil from your fingers onto a clean part waiting to be soldered.
    Clean and careful are my marching orders. By the way.....hold the parts gently without reshaping them out of round and recognition. And I keep a good squirt bottle of water handy ...for many reasons. And a 6" by 6 " sheet of copper is a good shield between wood and torch.
    If you are going to save money, be careful , do it safely, and do it right.
    And yes, we have all grabbed a hot fitting . Not fun.
    Dan
    PS: the "Metric" part is just to make ya think
    I know metric, but what is the point of metric on a tool with an analog dial adjustment? Are the width and depth of the surfaces measured in metric? I'm pretty sure most people grab a Vise Grip based on "good enough" and not a particular size. You probably shouldn't but Vise Grips ARE the wrong tool for almost every job where they are used.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I know metric, but what is the point of metric on a tool with an analog dial adjustment? Are the width and depth of the surfaces measured in metric? I'm pretty sure most people grab a Vise Grip based on "good enough" and not a particular size. You probably shouldn't but Vise Grips ARE the wrong tool for almost every job where they are used.
    I'd respons but i'm usng a metric keybord and ti does n't fir my hands.

PS: See PS.
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

I have a couple of metric Crescent wrenches. They say 15mm and 30mm right on the side. The other side has some sort of "English" measurement.

Note for truthiness: I didn't actually go out to the shop to see what the actual measurements are. Close enough.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

At work, I have a logging system which requires people to enter metric units. The end result is everyone types 1 cm to make the system accept their information, but then they add text which is more "descriptive". Those descriptions tend to read like: "the size of dime", "the size of a quarter", "as big as a fist". It's like we're back in the Middle Ages or something.

Of course, this is an app that can display a variety of information automatically or do things automatically, so there could be a button that says "convert" or another button to display a conversion table.

Back to happy. I have found a website called rescam (Google it). You can forward them spam emails and they will answer them for you. For some reason, I find this to be a heartwarming use of AI. As near as I can tell, the AI is wonky on purpose and not especially sophisticated, which is perfect for annoying a spammer.

They make one for phone calls too, which is hilarious to hear in action. I am not sure how to go about making this work, but here is a link to the website which has an example. Edit - I removed the link. Some of the calls get to be too much for a family audience. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2017-Nov-18 at 05:01 AM.

I'm amused this morning to have learned, because of the escape of a pet camel in Toledo, that the Bactrian (two hump) camel is larger than the Dromedary (one hump). I'd somehow always assumed the other way around. I'm also amused that someone has a pet camel.

And also in the animal department, the local TV news just ran a story about an alligator on a beach in Florida. I took one look at the screen and said aloud "That's a crock!" Err, croc. Because it had a narrow snout. It was indeed a croc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I'm amused this morning to have learned, because of the escape of a pet camel in Toledo, that the Bactrian (two hump) camel is larger than the Dromedary (one hump). I'd somehow always assumed the other way around. I'm also amused that someone has a pet camel.
    I never "somehow assumed" anything about the sizes of camels. I originally took the word of what I thought was a reliable source, a 1954 Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia, which said that Dromedaries were larger, or at least a bit taller. More recent sources mention a larger range for the Bactrian camel, with some being as heavy as a large draft horse.

Listening to an interview of Andy Weir saying, "this house was built by Martian money."
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Walking past a closed door, husband's going "rrowrr" "roworr" (gargling), cat's going meow! meow! each time. Lol!
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Copied from the reinstatement of Pluto thread, to avoid derailing it.
    What's in a name? that which we call a rose
    By any other word would smell as sweet;

William Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet Act II, Scene 2
    We could call Shakespeare's rose a skunk, and it would smell just as sweet. Conversely, we could give a storybook skunk a name like Flower*, and he would still be shunned by his fellow denizens of the forest.

*Walt Disney, Bambi, 1942

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Listening to an interview of Andy Weir saying, "this house was built by Martian money."
    The Pirate!

November sunsets over farm fields and inlets. It's good to come home to Long Island for Thanksgiving.

My wife and I play a game with the dog. I hug my wife and she yells "Help! Help!" The dog charges in and stands on her back legs to see if it is a real hug, then tries to hug us. If my wife continues to say "help", the dog will ram her body between us and nip me. The dog a German Shepard/Pointer mix, so she can be very forceful even when playing. We did train her not to make the awful Shepard snarl when playing, but she still will do it if worked up.

This morning, one of the kids was eating breakfast as me and my wife were playing this game. The dog came racing up to us, spied the eggs on a plate from her upright vantage point and ran back to beg. My wife continued to yell "Help! Help!", but the dog ignored us.

If my wife was ever attacked by someone, the dog would eat them alive. Unless they had food. Then my wife would be in trouble.

That was the final scene of an episode of 'Columbo'.
    He gave the dogs steaks.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Today, I am working on a group project to create a lesson plan for teaching via Skype and Facebook. I have my Chromebook, desktop and a tablet dedicated to the A/V portion of the task, so I have three faces staring back at me.

Someone asked: "Are we ready?"

I deadpanned, "I googled 'teaching and stuff' and found out it's really complicated. I'm just going to use my Dungeon Master's Guide to get through this."

As I flipped through my DM's guide, the faces I got were priceless. This is actually a senior level course, so all of my mannerisms and behaviors were perfectly wrong.

What is really great is, I have a second chromebook out of view, so I can fool around posting and listening to music. They have not yet caught on that my headphones and mic have nothing to do with the task at hand. I am listening to the Hamilton Soundtrack while working.

I would find the multitasking involved completely overwhelming,
    even before attempting to introduce humor, which I would do with
    probably disasterous effect.

If I listen to music while working, it has to be wordless and rhythmless,
    like they play on the "Soundscapes" cable channel, or it is too distracting
    to get anything done. Math, especially, uses the same part of my brain
    that hears rhythm. It is impossible for me to do both simultaneously.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    ... If I listen to music while working, it has to be wordless and rhythmless,
    to get anything done. ...
    I read an article on line that suggested using the sound tracks from video games as background music / white noise as these are designed to be non-distracting.

(Boy, that must be a composer's "dream" assignment. "Make me some music that can go completely unnoticed.")
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    I would find the multitasking involved completely overwhelming,
    even before attempting to introduce humor, which I would do with
    probably disasterous effect.

If I listen to music while working, it has to be wordless and rhythmless,
    to get anything done. Math, especially, uses the same part of my brain
    that hears rhythm. It is impossible for me to do both simultaneously.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    I've used that channel to go to sleep.

Today, I am working on a group project to create a lesson plan for teaching via Skype and Facebook. I have my Chromebook, desktop and a tablet dedicated to the A/V portion of the task, so I have three faces staring back at me.

Someone asked: "Are we ready?"

I deadpanned, "I googled 'teaching and stuff' and found out it's really complicated. I'm just going to use my Dungeon Master's Guide to get through this."

As I flipped through my DM's guide, the faces I got were priceless. This is actually a senior level course, so all of my mannerisms and behaviors were perfectly wrong.

What is really great is, I have a second chromebook out of view, so I can fool around posting and listening to music. They have not yet caught on that my headphones and mic have nothing to do with the task at hand. I am listening to the Hamilton Soundtrack while working.
    Sometimes I read something online completely unrelated to music while doing the boring warm-up exercises on my horn. This exercise is primarily muscle memory on long tones, scales, arpeggios, etc. and requires only about 1% of my conscious attention. I need anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more, depending on the condition of my chops at the time, before working on real music. I wonder what they would think about that.

Listening to a skeptical podcast about fake magic books and how the interviewee tried to summon Satan years ago and then my mother walks by, who is religious person.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Listening to a skeptical podcast about fake magic books and how the interviewee tried to summon Satan years ago and then my mother walks by, who is religious person.
    My parents had a problem with me and called in the pastor. It seemed my parents hinted that I was an atheist, or had mental issues or was possessed. Whatever they said to the pastor cause her (the pastor) to bring in the big guns, there was a full blown intervention. She was armed for every eventuality.

The "real problem" was my parents didn't like that I was a member of a completely different church. On speaking to me, it took about 60 seconds for the pastor to figure this out. She told my parents: "Never do that again" and walked out.

I found this amusing because I saw eye to eye with this woman, despite any differences. She was obviously a kind and caring person.

I was slightly less amused when I found out that the pastor had really pulled out all the stops and had every form of care at the ready - medical and mental health people, councilors, etc. That is nothing to fool around with.

I like to listen to a certain podcast about unsolved crimes and mysteries from history while I do my laundry. One night, as I was folding the dry clothes, the hosts were describing a murder scene "...and when his girlfriend entered the apartment, she said there was blood everywhere!" and I suddenly was very thankful that I was wearing headphones, because otherwise I would probably really frighten the other people in the laundry room.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I like to listen to a certain podcast about unsolved crimes and mysteries from history while I do my laundry. One night, as I was folding the dry clothes, the hosts were describing a murder scene "...and when his girlfriend entered the apartment, she said there was blood everywhere!" and I suddenly was very thankful that I was wearing headphones, because otherwise I would probably really frighten the other people in the laundry room.
    Lol! Lore the podcast?

Lol! Lore the podcast?
    Thinking Sideways, actually!

New DNA test do not bear evidence for Yeti yeti.
    http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/...el-legend.html
    The test find most samples were bears.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Thinking Sideways, actually!
    I think I might have to try that one.

28. 2017-Dec-02, 06:23 AM
    Reason
    spammer, 2 hits on sfs on email

I think I might have to try that one.
    That's fair.

(That's something you'll hear Devin say a lot.)

I can't help wondering if we'll see the return of fricking shark teeth painted on the front of fighter jets after this.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa