Page 264 of 265 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265 LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,920 of 7933

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Did you notice that they made acronym spell shield, maybe ton- um Elon Musk is building it.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Did you notice that they made acronym spell shield, maybe ton- um Elon Musk is building it.
    But they can't be the same man, they've been photographed together!

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    I can't help wondering if we'll see the return of fricking shark teeth painted on the front of fighter jets after this.
    Never saw the Warthog?

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asset...uper-tease.jpg
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

(Not a fighter.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I always thought most faces on planes looked dumb, but I do love the fact that if you put one on an A-10, the gun is a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Never saw the Warthog?
    Not often enough! And not with fricken laser beams. Worse, I never heard it shoot. But I guess, fortunately I never heard it shoot in anger.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    (Not a fighter.)
    Yeah ... don't care. I LOVE the A10. I have seen one up close on the ground and it's even more impressive than you might think. The machine oozes the promise of devastation. Looking at it, I could almost hear it saying, "I'm bored. Find me something to shoot at."

It may not have lasers (yet) but a Gatling gun that fires a kajillion rounds a second can be effective.

I know the military wants to move into the 21st century, and find more uses for the F35, but the A10 has lots of life left in it. Heck, they're still flying the B52 after 50 years. Old doesn't equal obsolete.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

For the bloated cost of the F-35 program, they better start finding a whole lot of uses for it, to justify it. Assuming they can have it fly safely.

I love the A-10 as well, and I don't see why it needs to be decommissioned or whatever the aircraft equivalent is.

CJSF
    "A scientific theory
    Isn't just a hunch or guess
    It's more like a question
    That's been put through a lot of tests
    And when a theory emerges
    Consistent with the facts
    The proof is with science
    The truth is with science"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

The A-10's biggest problem is the writing on the side. It ought to say "U.S. ARMY".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The A-10's biggest problem is the writing on the side. It ought to say "U.S. ARMY".
    But it has JET engines- it must be an Air Force asset.
    (Makes no sense to me, either)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Yeah ... don't care. I LOVE the A10. I have seen one up close on the ground and it's even more impressive than you might think. The machine oozes the promise of devastation. Looking at it, I could almost hear it saying, "I'm bored. Find me something to shoot at."

It may not have lasers (yet) but a Gatling gun that fires a kajillion rounds a second can be effective.

I know the military wants to move into the 21st century, and find more uses for the F35, but the A10 has lots of life left in it. Heck, they're still flying the B52 after 50 years. Old doesn't equal obsolete.
    I agree with all of this ("Warthog"?! It's beautiful!), was just pointing out the one thing.

Question since everyone seems "on board" the A10: I often see people complaining about the depleted uranium rounds. Ignoring whether they really were such a problem, I thought I read once that they'd stopped using those rounds anyway - but last time I looked I couldn't google up any proof. Anyone know?
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

That brings back memories. Those A-10s are from the 23rd Wing Flying Tigers, the first wing I was assigned to as a freshly minted avionics sensors technician. The system I maintained at that time is the small Pave Penny pod on the side-mounted pylon directly below the pilot. Unfortunately, I never got to turn wrenches on the A-10. The 23rd had A-7Ds (also equipped with Pave Penny) at the time and began the transition to the A-10 just as I shipped out to Korea. I saw the first two thunderbugs fly in just before I left.

While nose art has experience a resurgence in recent years, before that it was pretty much prohibited by the USAF, with some exceptions granted for historical significance...the 23rd being one of them.

Heresy! Jealousy!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Had on of those afternoons. This morning there was a notice saying there was a parcel to pickup and I needed the frames for the wreaths. So went in thought the frames would be in the dollar store nope, then went to get the parcel not processed yet. Then went to another store and the person selling wreaths said the frames might be at a store on the highway. On the way out a RCMP was flashing it lights and had to pull over to let him by, Got the frames and got gas then the jump stalled and got home.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I was doing some carpentry work the other day, and I came to a step in which I needed to put my protective goggles back on before using the table saw. I could not find them, and was bugged at myself for mislaying them just a few minutes earlier. I looked all over the shop in frustration for a couple of minutes and then started to scratch my head. Lo and behold, there they were, pushed up just above my eye level and held in place by the strap. I have to admit that I laughed at myself and found the episode amusing in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Question since everyone seems "on board" the A10: I often see people complaining about the depleted uranium rounds. Ignoring whether they really were such a problem, I thought I read once that they'd stopped using those rounds anyway - but last time I looked I couldn't google up any proof. Anyone know?
    Apparently still in use, and not just on the A10: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplet...ium#Ammunition

Ammunition[edit]Most military use of depleted uranium has been as 30 mm ordnance, primarily the 30 mm PGU-14/B armour-piercing incendiary round from the GAU-8 Avenger cannon of the A-10 Thunderbolt II used by the United States Air Force. 25 mm DU rounds have been used in the M242 gun mounted on the U.S. Army's Bradley Fighting Vehicle and the Marine Corps's LAV-25.

The U.S. Marine Corps uses DU in the 25 mm PGU-20 round fired by the GAU-12 Equalizer cannon of the AV-8B Harrier, and also in the 20 mm M197 gun mounted on AH-1 Cobra helicopter gunships. The United States Navy's Phalanx CIWS's M61 Vulcan Gatling gun used 20 mm armor-piercing penetrator rounds with discarding plastic sabots and a core made using depleted uranium, later changed to tungsten.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Apparently still in use, and not just on the A10: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplet...ium#Ammunition
    Following that link, this amuses me:
    Pen Duick VI, a boat designed by André Mauric (fr) and used for racing, was equipped with a keel of depleted uranium. The benefit is that, due to the very high density of uranium, the keel could be thinner for a given weight, and so have less resistance than a normal keel. It was later replaced by a standard lead keel.[72]

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post

Heresy! Jealousy!
    The USAF had been trying to get rid of them for nigh on twenty years, because they don't look swoopy enough. If they'd had their way the A-10 wouldn't have been available for the first Gulf War, let alone the second.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Following that link, this amuses me:
    Americas Cup rules, IIRC, don't limit the material keels can be made of but do limit the density of it!

I have bought myself a grand piano. 1880-1910 era. I have yet to discover the serial number (mechanism is coming out in a few weeks which should reveal things) but in the meantime I tried finding more information on the (likely) first owner. His address is hand written on the bottom of the piano. The address is just a street name and number, likely because both the street and the manufacturer were located in Vienna and the world was basically just the confines of your city back then. So far nothing noteworthy. Now the name of the first owner was Isidor Fisch. As in the Crime Of The Century (Lindbergh baby). I can't find anything that links "the" Isidor Fisch to Vienna though, just Leipzig. So likely it is another person with the same name. "Fisch" was a rather common name back then. Could be a relative, or not. The piano is certainly made before 1910 so it's a bit unlikely that the 1905 born Isidor Fisch would have been the first owner and mentioned in the address. But it's even less likely that he was a next owner, as it is quite clear that he never went to Vienna after 1910.

If someone does have a link to the Lindbergh Isidor Fisch though, I'll have to go look inside the piano for large sums of money.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2017-Dec-05 at 03:54 PM.

The USAF had been trying to get rid of them for nigh on twenty years, because they don't look swoopy enough. If they'd had their way the A-10 wouldn't have been available for the first Gulf War, let alone the second.

Americas Cup rules, IIRC, don't limit the material keels can be made of but do limit the density of it!
    The AC being the AC, you know someone has probably at least considered using uranium at some point.

To paraphrase Hark! A Vagrant (about something else):
    How to Win:
    - Surprise
    - Tanks Money
    - Speed
    - Australians
    - Tricks
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2017-Dec-05 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Forgot how to code a strikethrough

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I have bought myself a grand piano. 1880-1910 era. I have yet to discover the serial number (mechanism is coming out in a few weeks which should reveal things) but in the meantime I tried finding more information on the (likely) first owner. His address is hand written on the bottom of the piano. The address is just a street name and number, likely because both the street and the manufacturer were located in Vienna and the world was basically just the confines of your city back then. So far nothing noteworthy. Now the name of the first owner was Isidor Fisch. As in the Crime Of The Century (Lindbergh baby). I can't find anything that links "the" Isidor Fisch to Vienna though, just Leipzig. So likely it is another person with the same name. "Fisch" was a rather common name back then. Could be a relative, or not. The piano is certainly made before 1910 so it's a bit unlikely that the 1905 born Isidor Fisch would have been the first owner and mentioned in the address. But it's even less likely that he was a next owner, as it is quite clear that he never went to Vienna after 1910.

If someone does have a link to the Lindbergh Isidor Fisch though, I'll have to go look inside the piano for large sums of money.
    If you have a street address, you could try your local library's street directories. They go back about 150 years in most places. Typically, they are not digitized.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I live about 1000km away from Vienna so that won't work from my local library.

Road trip!
    This does sound like the setup for a movie. Perhaps a romantic comedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Any Adam Sandler connection is bound to reduce the value of my piano.

I successfully got the first video up for my boss's YouTube channel. Starring a couple of possibly familiar faces. The captioning didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but it's still not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MM-...&feature=share

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I successfully got the first video up for my boss's YouTube channel. Starring a couple of possibly familiar faces. The captioning didn't work as well as I'd hoped, but it's still not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MM-...&feature=share
    "A Star is Born"

Hmmm... maybe not.

Hmmm... maybe not.

But it seems some of it might be online. https://www.digital.wienbibliothek.a...titleinfo/5311

Nice
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

So cute! Probably just as well you used his name; people would be thinking he's a girl.

I wish I had hair like that. Actually, I just wish I had hair.

Part of why I used him is that he's simply adorable. And part of why he hasn't gotten a haircut yet is so I can use him in one of these videos. He's actually started asking for one. But both kids get misgendered pretty regularly, Simon because he has too much hair and it turns out Irene because she doesn't have enough. At least, that's what someone told me--they assumed a girl baby would have more hair.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"