Page 323 of 326 FirstFirst ... 223273313321322323324325 ... LastLast
Results 9,661 to 9,690 of 9775

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Is it unethical to throw a raccoon overboard?

I don't think so either.

I got "strimming" from this video by BigClive, who I've been watching partly because what he does is kind of interesting, but mostly because of his lovely Scottish accent.

ETA: We call our lawn edger "Shane the yard guy".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I was right on time for my appointment today!

...Which it turns out was for tomorrow.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yesterday I saw a sign in a front yard that said, "The Eagle has lended." I am guessing it was about a mortgage or home equity loan from Eagle Bank.

Cute. Timing of the bank's advertising program probably inspired by the 50th anniversary. I wonder what the new homeowner gets from the arrangement - maybe a better rate, or a break on other fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Cute. Timing of the bank's advertising program probably inspired by the 50th anniversary. I wonder what the new homeowner gets from the arrangement - maybe a better rate, or a break on other fees?
    Probably nothing. The bank sticks a sign in their yard and eventually they'll get tired of it and take it down.

I made a visit yesterday to the plant site where my project is being constructed. So I picked up a rental car the evening before. As I was about to start the car, the rental agent came up to me and said the low tire pressure alert was coming on but the tire pressures were okay, it was the sensor. Fine, I'd gone through that with my personal car … no biggie.

When I got to the site I stopped by the document control area. I have a very good relationship with the ladies who work there, built up through past projects, and am working to keep it with this one. I noticed several golf carts parked outside and asked if I could use one to drive to the construction site. (Hey, 90 degrees and a half mile walk.) They said I could use their car.

Got inside, started the engine … low tire pressure alert. Tires looked okay, bad sensor.

Ya gotta love coincidence.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I made a visit yesterday to the plant site where my project is being constructed. So I picked up a rental car the evening before. As I was about to start the car, the rental agent came up to me and said the low tire pressure alert was coming on but the tire pressures were okay, it was the sensor. Fine, I'd gone through that with my personal car … no biggie.

When I got to the site I stopped by the document control area. I have a very good relationship with the ladies who work there, built up through past projects, and am working to keep it with this one. I noticed several golf carts parked outside and asked if I could use one to drive to the construction site. (Hey, 90 degrees and a half mile walk.) They said I could use their car.

Got inside, started the engine … low tire pressure alert. Tires looked okay, bad sensor.

Ya gotta love coincidence.
    In some cars the spare tire will trigger the sensor alert. And who ever looks at the spare?

I just realized that the teams playing in the Stanley cup have connections to home town, Don Sweeney of the Bruins and Allen of the Blues, Allen's dad was a Phys. Ed teacher at the high school when I was there.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

As summer comes on, I am flipping through a book called "Wall of Snow". My son made the local papers by biking just after the storm and that photo from the newspaper was also included in the book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buffalo.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	24258

Here is a time lapse video of what the storm looked like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9XNRHxKbg The video seems to be facing south, so my village is all the way to the left out of view (east?), and slightly north of the camera.

In the middle of all of this mess, our house was a warzone on a couple of different levels. My son broke my phone two days before the storm and I went to the store to buy a new one. The clerk promised me that I could find the exact phone I wanted online and it would be cheaper and faster to order a replacement that way. Thanks to the storm, I was receiving shipping updates 3 times a day as UPS tried to route my phone around the storm. It was sort of comical to log into UPS.com and watch my phone wander from Illinois to Ohio then New York City to PA, as if it was walking around the storm trying to come home.

The day before the storm hit, my wife went into Roswell Park for the first of many visits for her thyroid cancer. 4 days after this visit, she was to take a pill. 3 days after she received the pill, she would receive a special scan back at Roswell. We left the hospital with the script. What we didn't notice was the large blood red Biohazard and Nuclear Trefoil on the script. Good thing it was there because when I drove to the pharmacy in the middle of the storm, I was pulled over by police officers on snowmobiles. I showed them the script and they let me continue driving, while forcing other drivers out of their cars due to the danger. The other drivers were instructed to either walk or ride with the police on the snowmobiles to shelter.

To this day, I have no idea what that script and pill was for, I suspect it was a massive dose of plain old iodine, judging by her dietary restrictions. (I think that helps them see your thyroid, but I am not so sure.)

The day after that, the roof was groaning and I walked... literally walked... up a snowbank and on to the roof to shovel. My neighbors were no so lucky and had the main beam of their homes crack under the weight. It was sort of weird, because all I was doing was pushing snow anywhere except the roof. Not remotely like shoveling a driveway. Ironically, by spring, the rooves of all three houses were replace by the same company. We need shingles and couldn't pass on the company that did the repairs for the neighbors. Nice guys, great job.

Anyway, 4-5 years later, what was giant mess is kind of amazing to talk about now.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Is it unethical to throw a raccoon overboard?

I don't think so either.

I got "strimming" from this video by BigClive, who I've been watching partly because what he does is kind of interesting, but mostly because of his lovely Scottish accent.

ETA: We call our lawn edger "Shane the yard guy".
    Ugh. That was bad. The guy picked up a stick, then a camera, dropped a bunch of F-bombs, poked at the animal after it left then posted the video. You have to do what you need to do to stay safe. Any one of these would have been acceptable. But he decided to do all five which frankly, looks horrible. Mostly for the fact that he posted online. In the video, the raccoon looks awfully cute and harmless. Having one scared, angry and attached to your face would be the opposite of "cute". The video still looks bad.

This is recipe for assassinating ones own character and the video is the secret sauce.
    Solfe

My favorite weather site (Space City Weather) has been following tropical disturbance 91L and its impact on the Houston area. Readers can leave comments and that generated this exchange:

Mary Norman: Mr Berger, long time reader here since your Chronicle days. Any idea of how this is going to affect The Woodlands area?
    Eric Berger: The Woodlands is probably going to come out of this in fairly good shape, as it seems like the heavier rain will (mostly) be along and south of I-10.
    Kelli: Is i10 the new/likely divider. Reports earlier were saying along and E of 59.
    Eric Berger: It’s fluid.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Ugh. That was bad. The guy picked up a stick, then a camera, dropped a bunch of F-bombs, poked at the animal after it left then posted the video. You have to do what you need to do to stay safe. Any one of these would have been acceptable. But he decided to do all five which frankly, looks horrible. Mostly for the fact that he posted online. In the video, the raccoon looks awfully cute and harmless. Having one scared, angry and attached to your face would be the opposite of "cute". The video still looks bad.

This is recipe for assassinating ones own character and the video is the secret sauce.
    I confess I had not actually watched the raccoon video.

I like to set the digital volume on my car sound system to prime numbers, like 13, 17, 19, 23, etc., because other numbers are bad luck.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

You've omitted 11.

You've omitted 11.
    I cannot hear it at 11. Road noise drowns out the music.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

One of the factories in town has a really loud horn to tell the employees time to get to work, not really needed any more but it still goes off. The times it goes off is 7:50 am, 8:00 am and noon. I heard the horn just aster I woke up and I thought I couldn't of slept that long, took a look out my window to see the shadows cast by some trees, ah must of been one of the earlier ones and few minutes later the 8:00 am one went off.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

"I created a vaccine to protect against chemtrails."

(snort. I snort when I laugh.)
    Solfe

"I created a vaccine to protect against chemtrails."
    Throw in something about the CIA and you'll reach the CONSPIRACY SINGULARITY

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Throw in something about the CIA and you'll reach the CONSPIRACY SINGULARITY
    A popular t-shirt at work reads (worn by students with autism):

"Many scientists are on the spectrum. So... Autism causes vaccines."
    Solfe

A popular t-shirt at work reads (worn by students with autism):

"Many scientists are on the spectrum. So... Autism causes vaccines."
    Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I cannot hear it at 11. Road noise drowns out the music.
    But maybe you could hear it if your amplifier went up to 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

My outdoor grill ran out of gas yesterday, and as I was swapping-out tanks I noticed the logo on the tank. It is for the company that trades full tanks for empty ones.

They logo says “It’s more than just propane”

I thought to myself, “No, it really is just propane.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

They left out a word. It's more EXPENSIVE than just propane!

Meanwhile, the Ark Encounter theme park is suing it's insurance company for not fully covering damage caused by ... excessive rain.

A blog I follow posted pictures, and literally none of us were surprised at the damage that road took. Knowing what we know about the geology of the area, we're all pretty sure the whole thing's going to come down someday.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Meanwhile, the Ark Encounter theme park is suing it's insurance company for not fully covering damage caused by ... excessive rain.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    A blog I follow posted pictures, and literally none of us were surprised at the damage that road took. Knowing what we know about the geology of the area, we're all pretty sure the whole thing's going to come down someday.
    That's interesting, Gillian. What is the local geology issue? I can't find much (my quick searches turn up YEC geology claims).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

*Sad trombone*

I guess their name is mud.
    Well you Noah what they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

"No, you're mistaken: that clause doesn't kick in until the 41st day."

Where did Noah put the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That's interesting, Gillian. What is the local geology issue? I can't find much (my quick searches turn up YEC geology claims).
    It's built on limestone and shale. The road, in particular, appears to have been built on fill--it seems they basically got permission to build a road that's a driveway instead of the actual service road they needed; there isn't enough shoring, and there quite obviously wasn't enough drainage. Someone who looked over the geological map suggested it might actually be a tailings pile. They clearly haven't built sufficient retaining walls--that's why the road collapsed, in fact.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"