Page 296 of 305 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,880 of 9139

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Waiting for it to rain all day got bored waiting for it and got ready to go out. Now there is a thunder and lightening storm rolling in.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

While recharging myself and dodging rain yesterday, I forgot to recharge the cell phone.

Weezer did an amazing cover of Africa by Toto. Now videos of Toto covering Weezer's Hash Pipe are showing up. That is funny!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Weezer did an amazing cover of Africa by Toto.
    But have you heard the Floppotron version?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q260bjSiyq0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I just purchased six LED bulbs for my dining room chandelier. Knowing that there are sometimes incompatiblities, I replaced one bulb. It worked great.

So I replaced the other five. Now they all work very poorly. Huh?

Quick solution was to replace one bulb with an incandescent. Now they are all happy. Long term solution is to replace the dimmer. - Apparently, there is a minimum load required for the dimmer to operate.

A somewhat ridiculous story that just happened.
    It's the first Sunday in August. That means it's time for the Seafair hydroplane races in Seattle, which are, unfortunately, a shadow of their former selves. I'm not a native, but have lived in the area for more than 50 years, so close enough.
    Anyhow, a long-time sponsor is the Oberto Sausage Company, whose chairman, Art Oberto, took over at age 16 in 1943. You do the math.
    Not having done the math, I wondered a) if Art was still living; and b) how old he is; so I looked him up. Which led to a story that he'd met his wife at The Spanish Castle, a legendary dancehall in the area. That jogged my memory.
    "Hey", I said to my wife, "Didn't you say you used to go to the Spanish Castle?" "Yup", she replied, "That was where I met my ex."

Oops. And she was underage at the time.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

More of a thing that makes my jaw drop: A TV news story on the fires in California just showed a Boeing 747 water-bomber. Wow!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    More of a thing that makes my jaw drop: A TV news story on the fires in California just showed a Boeing 747 water-bomber. Wow!
    Wow encore, 74200 litres and according to Wiki just one in service, the largest in the world.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My wife has put on the Mariners/Rangers game. The Rangers' starter is Bartolo Colon. Wow, he's fatter than I am!

And has just given up two home runs. Go M's!

Well everything is bigger in Texas.

We pick our grand-daughter up from her Kindergarten once a week in our "normal" car. It seems like 90% of the other vehicles picking up kids are either SUV's or 4WD vehicles. (My daughter has both a SUV and a 4WD in her household.) SUV's almost all use more fuel and are normally not as nice to drive as sedans. Most of the 4WD's have never seen a gravel road let alone a real bush track.The top selling vehicle in Australia for a fair while has been the various versions of the Toyota Hilux. Currently SUVs have a market share of 42.8 per cent against 33.4 per cent for passenger cars.

Fashion, and advertising, seems to have made it a force of habit for people to buy these types of vehicles when they are not always the best fit for what is required.

Edit: As a good father must, I will cut my daughter some slack as they do use their 4WD (a twin cab ute) off road and the SUV was bought off her partners parents when they were buying a new SUV and my daughter needed a bigger car with a second child coming.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Aug-09 at 08:22 AM.

It's my belief that, all things being equal, many people--perhaps even most people--would rather have a bigger car. Bigger cars carry more stuff, and they are safer in crashes.

When gas prices rise rapidly, then people start buying smaller cars. But that's a case where all things stop being equal. The cost of driving the larger car becomes a new factor that provides the incentive to downsize to a more fuel-efficient vehicle. But when gas prices drop or stabilize to become the new normal, then the demand for bigger cars creeps up again.

Ford has announced that it will nearly stop selling cars in North America. Only the Mustang and one sedan will survive. The market apparently wants SUVs and trucks.

I drive a small SUV - Ford Escape - which was my wife's car until we got her a midsized SUV Ford Edge. I prefer something smaller because it has a better "feel" n the road. If I ever get to buy my own car instead of getting her hand-me-downs, it will be a Mustang ... great road feel.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Most of the 4WD's have never seen a gravel road let alone a real bush track.
    How do you know this?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I drive a minivan. I'm the one who drives the kids most of the time and drives for errands most of the time. It is, however, also true that I prefer driving Vanny, as Simon has named it, to driving Graham's car. It's more comfortable to get in and out of, for one thing. On the other hand, my aunt drives a Mini!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

We pick our grand-daughter up from her Kindergarten once a week in our "normal" car. It seems like 90% of the other vehicles picking up kids are either SUV's or 4WD vehicles. (My daughter has both a SUV and a 4WD in her household.) SUV's almost all use more fuel and are normally not as nice to drive as sedans. Most of the 4WD's have never seen a gravel road let alone a real bush track.The top selling vehicle in Australia for a fair while has been the various versions of the Toyota Hilux. Currently SUVs have a market share of 42.8 per cent against 33.4 per cent for passenger cars.

Fashion, and advertising, seems to have made it a force of habit for people to buy these types of vehicles when they are not always the best fit for what is required.

Edit: As a good father must, I will cut my daughter some slack as they do use their 4WD (a twin cab ute) off road and the SUV was bought off her partners parents when they were buying a new SUV and my daughter needed a bigger car with a second child coming.
    Most of the SUVs around probably see some dirt tracks, plus if the owners have larger properties the cars might go on bush tracks once and a while. We have such tracks on our property and a couple times a year the jeep was needed to use them.

One of the most ridiculously equipped vehicles I have seen was a Hummer with ultra-low-profile tires on oversized chrome-plated wheels. It would be hurting on a really rough road, not to mention in off-road driving.

My neighbor has installed an automatic sprinkler for the lawn. It seems to be attracting frogs. My dog is a nuts and wants to watch them from the neighbor's porch. She keeps trying to escape our house and sit on the neighbor's porch. The dog is now 60 lbs. and my neighbor doesn't like dogs. They leave yellowed patches of grass, which the neighbor hates. The neighbor vaguely likes our dog because it harasses the deer and other flower eating/stomping animals.

This is amusing but going to end in trouble.

If you call our dog "bad dog" or worse, "bad girl" she plays dead for a moment then yips and howls until you call her "good girl". This can go on for a while and the dog will "pursue" anyone who calls her bad by squirming on her back until they acknowledge her with some other words. This is not something we purposefully trained her to do.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    But have you heard the Floppotron version?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q260bjSiyq0

That is cool!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    One of the most ridiculously equipped vehicles I have seen was a Hummer with ultra-low-profile tires on oversized chrome-plated wheels. It would be hurting on a really rough road, not to mention in off-road driving.
    I used to have a Ford E450 custom conversion van. It was basically an ambulance decked out to look like an RV. It had a bed, a card table for four, two TVs, a game station and fridge.

I had two coworkers who had obnoxiously large vehicles, a Suburban and a Hummer. One day, I drove the van to work and it was the biggest thing in the parking lot. My coworkers were baffled as to why someone would drive something so large.
    Solfe

I used to drive a Honda CRX. One day when I had a special parking pass (hurt my back) I got to park in the reserved parking and wound up next to my boss's F-350, which he used to haul his boat. My roof was lower than his hood. And my whole car wasn't much longer than his hood, either. It would probably have fit in the cargo bed.

My sister has a SUV/minivan with 3 rows of seats, but that's numerical necessity. My family and our closest friends' family together, often require room for a sizeable brood. Even then, we usually fill at least 2 vehicles.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    How do you know this?
    Usually by :-

Shiny Chrome wheels without scratches or dents.

Road Tyres, often low profile, not Off-Road Tyres.

Bright shiny paint with no sign of bushes or branches having brushed/scratched down the sides

And a particularly easy sign for W.A. - no red dust on the sills, wheels etc. I took my car down a couple of hundred Kms of gravel tracks about 5 months ago and despite washing it and driving through winter the red dust can still be spotted, it is very hard to remove entirely. For example below is a photo of a very good gravel road with my car, and me, in the distance. This is not a real bush track but a gazetted road and you can see the red dust around my front wheels - it hides in all the seams etc and sticks very well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3968 - Copy (2).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	512.4 KB 
ID:	23486

Bright shiny paint with no sign of bushes or branches having brushed/scratched down the sides

And a particularly easy sign for W.A. - no red dust on the sills, wheels etc. I took my car down a couple of hundred Kms of gravel tracks about 5 months ago and despite washing it and driving through winter the red dust can still be spotted, it is very hard to remove entirely. For example below is a photo of a very good gravel road with my car, and me, in the distance. This is not a real bush track but a gazetted road and you can see the red dust around my front wheels - it hides in all the seams etc and sticks very well.
    Here we (often) call them Remuera Tractors https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...emuera-tractor

For large high riding four wheel drive vehicles used to drop the kids off to school. Only mud they see is if the kids play sport on the weekends.

(And people complain about trouble parking.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Here we (often) call them Remuera Tractors https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...emuera-tractor

For large high riding four wheel drive vehicles used to drop the kids off to school. Only mud they see is if the kids play sport on the weekends.

(And people complain about trouble parking.)
    Similar thing here - Toorak Tractors https://www.macquariedictionary.com....aide%20Region/ z

Toorak being a very expensive suburb of Melbourne.

I'm amused by the fact that facial recognition software no longer recognizes the thing on the front of my head as being a face. A couple of friends recently mentioned that their photo-tagging software didn't recognize me as being a person; now the autofocus on my wife's camera has started ignoring my presence in photos, too.
    I guess this could be useful if I ever have to go on the run, but it might be problematic the next time I have to deal with the irrepressible bonhomie of Homeland Security.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Bright shiny paint with no sign of bushes or branches having brushed/scratched down the sides.
    The huge majority of "SUVs" sold in Europe don't have four-wheel drive at all - people are looking for the styling, the driving position, the capacity, the current fashionable look, or some other thing that doesn't actually involve off-roading.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Bright shiny paint with no sign of bushes or branches having brushed/scratched down the sides.
    I guess I sort of meet those criteria. I own a Ford F150 Super Crew with 4WD. I run on-road, all-season radials on it year round. The most demanding off-roading I do is usually smooth track near the lakes I fish...or maybe a bumpy gravel road. The polished rims are still shiny, when I remember to wash them. The branches I'm most likely to brush by are in my driveway. I use my truck to make dump runs (yard and DIY debris, usually) and to tote treasures such as lumber, DIY supplies, the occasional appliance or power tool, etc. If I ever get a boat or an RV trailer, I can tote those, too. The 4WD mainly sees duty on snow and ice and is turned on pretty much full time from November to April.

I don't get wrapped around the axle about what SUVs are or are not used for. I don't think the term "SUV" was ever rigidly defined even from its first application and it's even less so now, what with crossover SUVs and the like. The Wife has one of the latter and it's rather nice even though it isn't one of the luxury brands with the attendant price tag. It will never see off-road duty. Don't even suggest it to her.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I needed to install a cat door, so I decided to go all out and install a Stargate.

With chevron 7 locked.