Page 324 of 327 FirstFirst ... 224274314322323324325326 ... LastLast
Results 9,691 to 9,720 of 9798

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Where did Noah put the fish?
    Someone asked my high school religion teacher this question. He responded in a fashion worthy of St. Augustine.

"Noah put all of the fish on the Ark. Except for just two that he left in the water."

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Someone asked my high school religion teacher this question. He responded in a fashion worthy of St. Augustine.

"Noah put all of the fish on the Ark. Except for just two that he left in the water."
    "Fish AGAIN?" was the cry just as the rebellion broke out.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's built on limestone and shale. The road, in particular, appears to have been built on fill--it seems they basically got permission to build a road that's a driveway instead of the actual service road they needed; there isn't enough shoring, and there quite obviously wasn't enough drainage. Someone who looked over the geological map suggested it might actually be a tailings pile. They clearly haven't built sufficient retaining walls--that's why the road collapsed, in fact.
    That might have given the insurance company justification for denying part of the claim.

Ah, if only they had a source for advice on how to lay a foundation on solid ground.

Oh, wait ...

Matthew 7.26-27: But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.

Nailed it!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    That might have given the insurance company justification for denying part of the claim.
    Oh, yeah, it's clear to me, and I'm hardly a structural engineer, that the road in question was not sufficient for the traffic they were putting on it, and that level of use would itself have damaged the road. But there shouldn't have been a road there at all without a lot more drainage and slope support than it had.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When I was involved in road layout and construction, alignment was generally considered the most important issue from the drivers' point of view, and drainage and subgrade quality from a maintenance/long term cost point of view. There are rules specifying the frequency of cross drains required on a given grade, so that water isn't too concentrated and packing a lot of energy into a small number of drains during an intense storm or during spring runoff. Also, if the outlet end isn't properly constructed, high velocity water will scour the slope and erode the soil back under the pipe, which can cause a road failure. I've seen a lot of those failures on resource roads.

I'm sitting here with a curtain rod, fitting two panel curtains on it while reading the DIY thread. There are levels. Mine's pretty low.
    Solfe

Having six fingers is apparently better than having five.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ity-advantages

Anyone remember that 1960s toy called Six Finger? ("Six Finger, Six Finger, man alive, how did I ever get along with five?")

https://boingboing.net/2017/01/09/we...rom-the-1.html
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

the road in question was not sufficient for the traffic they were putting on it, and that level of use would itself have damaged the road.
    ...which is especially odd for a place that was supposed to have substantially more traffic than it's actually been getting.

Oh, yeah, it's clear to me, and I'm hardly a structural engineer, that the road in question was not sufficient for the traffic they were putting on it, and that level of use would itself have damaged the road. But there shouldn't have been a road there at all without a lot more drainage and slope support than it had.
    Shades of I-81 between Harrisburg and Scranton, PA. It pretty much collapsed under traffic because the substrate had not been properly tamped. They had to shut down one side at a time and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    ...which is especially odd for a place that was supposed to have substantially more traffic than it's actually been getting.
    2 of every kind?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Having six fingers is apparently better than having five.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...ity-advantages

Anyone remember that 1960s toy called Six Finger? ("Six Finger, Six Finger, man alive, how did I ever get along with five?")

https://boingboing.net/2017/01/09/we...rom-the-1.html
    If we all had that, we'd be using base 12 numbers. Four would have been better; base 8 makes more sense.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

At the supermarket yesterday, I saw a fellow about my age with a tee shirt reading "I survived the sixties. Twice."

It took me a moment to figure out what it meant or I could have said "Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    At the supermarket yesterday, I saw a fellow about my age with a tee shirt reading "I survived the sixties. Twice."

It took me a moment to figure out what it meant or I could have said "Me too!"
    East 60th to East 69th Street and West 60th to West 69th Street, in Manhattan?

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Not exactly how I interpreted it!

I thought you survived 60 degrees north, and 60 degrees west or was that 60 C and 60 F.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I thought you survived 60 degrees north, and 60 degrees west or was that 60 C and 60 F.
    If you survive 60C you're worthy of your own T-shirt.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    If we all had that, we'd be using base 12 numbers. Four would have been better; base 8 makes more sense.

Why do you think base 8 makes more sense than base 12? (unless you'd try to note base 12 using base 10 symbols 1-12 instead of 1-9 A B C, because that would get impossible to read)?

Graduation week in my home town.
    I'm amused to discover that the cermony now includes a choral rendition of De Brevitate Vitae ("Gaudeamus igitur ..."). The thought of all those graduands and their loved ones sitting solemnly through a rather louche Latin drinking song has been making me smile all day. I hope, in centuries to come, that graduation ceremonies will include a few verses of Roll Me Over In The Clover.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Graduation week in my home town.
    I'm amused to discover that the cermony now includes a choral rendition of De Brevitate Vitae ("Gaudeamus igitur ..."). The thought of all those graduands and their loved ones sitting solemnly through a rather louche Latin drinking song has been making me smile all day. I hope, in centuries to come, that graduation ceremonies will include a few verses of Roll Me Over In The Clover.

Grant Hutchison
    Since I never took Latin (), I'm guessing, but "Life is short"?

Rather pessimistic for a graduation ceremony.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Why do you think base 8 makes more sense than base 12? (unless you'd try to note base 12 using base 10 symbols 1-12 instead of 1-9 A B C, because that would get impossible to read)?
    Base 8 is easier to translate to binary than is Base 12, and as we are dependent upon computers, that's rather important.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Base 8 is easier to translate to binary than is Base 12, and as we are dependent upon computers, that's rather important.
    Unfortunately, we are even more dependent on counting on our fingers, making it harder for our computers and programmers.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Since I never took Latin (), I'm guessing, but "Life is short"?

Rather pessimistic for a graduation ceremony.
    "On the shortness of life". It's a subversive quote from the title of an essay by Seneca. Seneca, being a Stoic, was very much in favour of people not wasting their short lives in frivolous pursuits; whereas the song is pretty wholeheartedly for frivolous pursuits:
    Gaudeamus igitur / Iuvenes dum sumus. "Let us rejoice, therefore, while we're young."

My favourite verse goes:

Vivant omnes virgines:

Faciles, formosae.
    Vivant et mulieres:
    Tenerae, amabiles,
    Bonae, laboriosae.

Long live all virgins:
    Easy, beautiful.
    And long live women:
    Tender, lovable,
    Good, hard-working.

The song divides its time pretty evenly between regretting the inevitability of death and crying "Long live!" to various things related to (male) student life. It's supposed to be a rollicking sing-along. Perhaps they treat it that way at the graduation ceremony, but I sort of doubt it.

Grant Hutchison

My wife is Dangerously Genre Savvy.

One day, I came home from work to find she had covered my myspace page with dozens of "Bring back Farscape" animated banners.
    Solfe

My wife won't get out of the car until she's shot up the alien spacecraft enough to let her pause the cell phone game in a winning mode.

We may have reached some sort of critical mass of people who walk along the street while absorbed in social media on their phones.
    I was sitting on a park bench today, chatting to an elderly lady who had sat down beside me. Suddenly she said, "They need to watch where they're going," and pointed out two young women who were walking on converging courses while engrossed in their phones.
    I think the reason we didn't shout a warning was because we couldn't believe they would actually do what they did. But they marched straight into each other, sending their phones clattering across the asphalt.
    "Oh my giddy aunt," said my new chum (which is a phrase you don't hear every day).
    After they'd composed themselves, retrieved their phones and dispersed, she turned to me and said (apparently in all seriousness), "I suppose one advantage of being dead is never having to watch a shambles like that again."

Grant Hutchison

My brother has a picture he calls "hotspot", which he took someplace in Alaska while on a cruise. It's a group of about 30 people sitting around a courtyard. His challenge: "Find the one person looking up."

This is a photo I took in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, a couple of years ago.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Now, at least one picture I've seen like that is of people using an app designed by the museum to give them more information about the paintings and so forth. And, yes, I've still seen it used as an example of how those teens today care more about social media than art.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When I travelled to Alaska three years ago, my buddy and I stopped in Dawson City, Yukon. In the visitor centre were three young motorcyclists who were apparently recording every detail of their trip and uploading it to various social media. So they had their electronic devices plugged into every available outlet and were probably using every bit of the centre's free bandwidth. Dan and I left our bikes parked outside, got a meal, and explored the town. We never saw any of them except inside that building, and when we left a few hours later, they were still in there. They blew past us as we were travelling west to the border outpost on the Top of the World Highway. I don't know how much of the scenery they appreciated at that speed, but maybe they were able to review their Go-Pro videos on-line later on. Each to his own...