Page 287 of 287 FirstFirst ... 187237277285286287
Results 8,581 to 8,608 of 8608

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Doc, I think most folks don't know a cockchafer is a big black beetle with large pincers.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Doc, I think most folks don't know a cockchafer is a big black beetle with large pincers.
    You don't have them in North America, do you? And we barely have them in Europe, these days.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    You don't have them in North America, do you? And we barely have them in Europe, these days.
    A chafer, by the way, is a beetle. A cock chafer is a big, fiesty beetle.

Grant Hutchison

It just sounds like something that would rub you the wrong way.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    It just sounds like something that would rub you the wrong way.
    Yeah, I think that was the joke Heid the Ba' was going for.

Grant Hutchison

Sorry a bit tired and have been busy the last few days I wish I had chosen my first love,
    https://youtu.be/sZa26_esLBE
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

7. 2018-May-10, 02:59 AM
    Reason
    Wrong thread!

We took our niece out for a meal and because it is Mothers Day, the waitress came by as we were finishing and said "Here are some roses for the ladies!" I hope the restaurant didn't actually pay the price of roses for the carnations she handed us.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The other day I was a local gas station and the person who held the door looked like a friend from Fredericton but didn't say a word.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

We are spending a lot of time house hunting, which is not amusing.

What is amusing, are some of the so-called “renovations” that can be described as “Franken-homes”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

At least you aren't looking for McMansions. At least I hope not.

One of the quiz shows I watch has a long infomercial style ad break in the middle.

Today the product was a fitness machine.

They made a big deal of how easy it was to put away, saying "without breaking a sweat".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    They made a big deal of how easy it was to put away, saying "without breaking a sweat".
    I get a kick out of the exercise machines that help you “burn twice the calories in half the time.”
    I don’t really want to work that hard.

Our Internet connection was out for 24 hours yesterday/today. The service provider initially thought it was a Modem problem but it eventually turned out to be a outage in our area - I don't know if it was just that company's network or others as well. What amuses me is how cut-off I felt. I only had my house phone, mobile phone, radio, newspaper and TV to get news etc But I felt like I was missing out on something and definitely had withdrawal symptoms. It just goes to show how we (me at least) have come to be so used to continuous internet access these days.

If you set the alarm to wake remember to deactivate it when you don't need it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

If you set the alarm to wake remember to deactivate it when you don't need it.
    I would say that is annoying rather than amusing, depending whether you are the victim or not of course.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    Ivermectin.

Retained in cattle feces and wiping out dung beetles on a global scale. The main species of bat in Europe is dying out because the beetles are the sole source of food for nearly 7 weeks, between the emergences of two other prey species in the late spring and late Summer.

Maybe time for an amusing story.
    Years ago the BIL was going into Halifax harbor on his fishing boat at the time. ON the way out was a sub with the sailors standing out on deck all in a row. Unknowing to the the fishing vessel passing by had a potato gun. So the BIL goes and gets the gun and some ammo and started to shot at the sailors, well not at them but close enough to them to make dodge the spuddissles. No harm was done he just needed to have some fun,
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Maybe time for an amusing story.
    Years ago the BIL was going into Halifax harbor on his fishing boat at the time. ON the way out was a sub with the sailors standing out on deck all in a row. Unknowing to the the fishing vessel passing by had a potato gun. So the BIL goes and gets the gun and some ammo and started to shot at the sailors, well not at them but close enough to them to make dodge the spuddissles. No harm was done he just needed to have some fun,
    Now you see, carrier sailors wouldn't put up with that without replying in kind! If you're lucky. The second most common peace time intership projectiles, after spuds, were D cell batteries.

I suspect that if a fishing boat tried that today, its captain would spend a few hours in a little room explaining things to the authorities.

Plus this was a Canadian Navy sub, the crew was more worried what would go wrong with the sub.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I would say that is annoying rather than amusing, depending whether you are the victim or not of course.
    I was up when the alarm went off so no damage. I set a couple of weeks prior because for about a week I had be up early to use a vehicle for a job. I am normally a night owl every been since I was a kid. Got a little worse in university and at the call center mostly trying to avoid annoying people.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

There is a new scam that is in common law relationship with another man. He is being scammed by woman over seas saying that they would marry him if he sent them cash. He plays along with them for a while.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

The place where I'm working sent out an update email on the new building being prepared.

Big deal was made of the earthquake strengthening being done to meet company safety standards.

The builders were described as working at breakneck speeds.

The place where I'm working sent out an update email on the new building being prepared.

Big deal was made of the earthquake strengthening being done to meet company safety standards.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

It’s good that they’re reenforcing it, though— they put in new screens showing global tectonic activity over the past five years in the Hall of Planet Earth at the Museum of Natural History, and I was shocked how many dots there were in New Zealand.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; Yesterday at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It’s good that they’re reenforcing it, though— they put in new screens showing global tectonic activity over the past five years in the Hall of Planet Earth at the Museum of Natural History, and I was shocked how many dots there were in New Zealand.
    We are the "shaky Isles". Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaky_Isles

Per capita we're known to be a reasonably generous nation/people. I think its because we know that one day, we'll be asking for a LOT of help.

Think San Andreas fault, but the whole country was built along that fault line (and its cousins).
    Last edited by pzkpfw; Yesterday at 03:39 AM.

Pacific Ring of Fire, of course. Just like us. Look up "Cascadia Subduction Zone".

My to do list:
    Don't Panic THGTTG