Page 300 of 308 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 9,000 of 9233

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Washington Post
    He remains the only pitcher in MLB All-Star Game history to get the win without officially facing a batter.
    If "officially facing a batter" means throwing at least one pitch, then it would appear that the throw was as DonM435 described and not counted as a pitch. My next question: Suppose Snider had swung and hit it? What would be the ruling?

I’m not 100% certain but the batter has to have a recorded plate appearance but not necessarily an at bat. But if the inning ends and the batter is still at the plate I think his appearance is erased for both the batter and the pitcher.

Batters faced can be determined by counting the total number of plate appearances -- or by adding runs, runners left on base and total outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think that "officially facing a batter" means that there was a "plate appearance" recorded for a batter. Since the batter was still in there when the inning ended, he did not complete a plate appearance, hence Stone's "batters faced" remains at zero. The same batter would get to lead off next inning.

If the pitcher steps off the rubber and makes a throw (as a fielder), the batter had better not hit it, as that would be illegal interference with a fielding play, and the umpire would impose penalties.

(Joe Garagiola ex-ballplayer and lifelong comedian says that one of his teammates did just that once. On a double steal attempt, the shortstop cut off the catcher's throw to second and threw it right back to him to catch the other runner trying to steal home. This guy says it was the first fastball he'd seen all week, so how could he not swing?)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I think that "officially facing a batter" means that there was a "plate appearance" recorded for a batter. Since the batter was still in there when the inning ended, he did not complete a plate appearance, hence Stone's "batters faced" remains at zero. The same batter would get to lead off next inning.

If the pitcher steps off the rubber and makes a throw (as a fielder), the batter had better not hit it, as that would be illegal interference with a fielding play, and the umpire would impose penalties.

(Joe Garagiola ex-ballplayer and lifelong comedian says that one of his teammates did just that once. On a double steal attempt, the shortstop cut off the catcher's throw to second and threw it right back to him to catch the other runner trying to steal home. This guy says it was the first fastball he'd seen all week, so how could he not swing?)
    My bold. That was my educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Something that's possible, due to the scoring rules of baseball, is for a pitcher to be credited as the winning pitcher in a game without ever throwing a single pitch to a batter.

I don't know if it's ever actually happened, though.
    It's happened twice in the majors. Alan Embree did it in 2009 on a pickoff. Interestingly, Embree got the putout, too. The article says that B.J. Ryan did it in 2003.

A fellow student complained: "Why don't grade level teachers stress grammar before students get to high school?"
    My response was: "Ah, you will have master's degrees in Secondary Education and English. There is literally no one better than you to teach grammar. Git-r-done."

The person sat there parsing it out, trying to detect an insult. There wasn't any.
    Solfe

Yay!

Real sports finally started last night. New England Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons last night.

Can't wait for Sunday's Niner's game! I have high hopes for the new quarterback.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

8. 2018-Sep-07, 05:52 PM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Yay!

Real sports finally started last night. The Philadelphia Eagles defeated the Atlanta Falcons last night.

Can't wait for Sunday's Niner's game! I have high hopes for the new quarterback.
    Ummm....Don? I had to fix that for you. Sad to say the result was the same...

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Ummm....Don? I had to fix that for you. Sad to say the result was the same...
    Yikes! Thanks!

I plead not enough sleep last night.

Yikes! Thanks!

At least you didn't send Eagles Championship cups to New England, like Dunkin' Donuts did.

Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Yikes! Thanks!

I understand. I just didn’t need a reminder of Super Bowl LI. The opening game loss yesterday was bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot of the background scenes in From the Earth to the Moon presumably take place in Buffalo, NY. Places that are just around the corner from my house. When watching the DVD, a lot of places are non-specific but clearly either were filmed here or by someone that knew what Buffalo looked like in the 60's. (The training flight crash at Bell is one item that happened here.)

The one thing that jumps out at me is "Gee, that sky is too blue..." When I said that to my kids, they said: "Dad, the sky is almost always blue here in Buffalo."

Ah, youth vs. experience.
    Solfe

^
    Last winter I re-read a really old meteorology text. One paragraph stood out, because I wondered how true it is today: "...the contrast in visibility across the front will depend on the life history of the air masses involved. For example, a warm air mass moving over southwestern Ontario from the Detroit region will be laden with industrial smoke, while a warm air mass from northern Michigan will be much clearer."
    I was returning to Vancouver one evening in the late 1970s in a rental airplane. It was a cloudless day. I was cleared to land as I reported over a landmark 4 miles out from the runway. I could not see the runway for the smog. My kids could not relate to that story. Smog is common in that basin, but those conditions were probably the result of particularly stable air that week.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2018-Sep-10 at 03:41 PM.

"Amuses" is not the right term, "continues to amaze after a lifetime" may be more appropriate. A month ago I was riding in 38C temperatures not too far south of where I live. Today's forecast for the end of the week includes the possibility of snow flurries. Ah, the temperate zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post

Ah, youth vs. experience.
    Once, about ten years ago, during a D&D game Boo, (my daughter) and I both reached for a last piece of lumpia and she quickly snatched it up and ate it and then boasted;

"Ha! Youth and speed beat age and experience every time."

Then she followed it up with a victory drink from a three quarter empty bottle of coke. Right at the high point of her drink I calmly reached over with an index finger and lifted the bottom of the coke bottle up about three more inches.

As she went about horking and snorting coke out of her nose I asked her;

"What was that again?"

Talking to niece over facebook and wondering when did they start teaching political science in the high school here.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Talking to niece over facebook and wondering when did they start teaching political science in the high school here.
    I know that my senior year, our social studies class was specifically Civics and Government rather than history.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

It is good she has those options that weren't there when I was school. What really got me is said she physics is not for her.

The astronomy TJJ See must have heard a lot of bad jokes.

Our new sofa comes with instructions. One of the instructions is: "Do not allow children to use furniture to demonstrate gymnastic abilities."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Most warnings on purchased items (like your sofa) are the result of someone doing exactly that, getting hurt, and suing the supplier because they weren't told not to do it.

The best one I saw was on a to-go coffee cup. "Do not spill hot liquids on your crotch area."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Most warnings on purchased items (like your sofa) are the result of someone doing exactly that, getting hurt, and suing the supplier because they weren't told not to do it.

The best one I saw was on a to-go coffee cup. "Do not spill hot liquids on your crotch area."
    Then where can I spill it?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Husqvarna allegedly had one for their chainsaws that read, "Do not attempt to stop chain with fingers or genitalia." I'm forgoing fact-checking on that one.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Our new sofa comes with instructions. One of the instructions is: "Do not allow children to use furniture to demonstrate gymnastic abilities."

Grant Hutchison
    Am I allowed to eat the sofa? The instructions didn't say not to.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

If I understand the labelling rules, that "Do not.." imperative needs a reason like "Danger of increased cleaning bills, or death" to become a legal let out. People are expected to read the labels, when it's possible they don't, and so it also has to say "do not remove this label" and so on. It would be nice if they included some irony like "if you did not read this label please let us know on social media"
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Husqvarna allegedly had one for their chainsaws that read, "Do not attempt to stop chain with fingers or genitalia." I'm forgoing fact-checking on that one.

Grant Hutchison
    I did a chainsaw course, you are supposed to lock the blade with a swinging handle device, and I witnessed one of my fellow students being chased; he started the chainsaw on the ground, unlocked and it motored along the ground rather well as he panicked and ran away. That handle device is designed to stop the classic accident where you use the dangerous top front "corner" of the blade and it jumps up into your face. That's not amusing and I cringe to see people with no proper helmet because it's very easy to have a twig or something drop onto the top of the chain and the saw leaps upwards.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

My best one was a new oven that came with the warning that "It will get hot when in use". What made it worse was that it was an awful oven that didn't hold a consistent temperature.

"Attach orbiter here, note: black side down". ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Grant Hutchison
    I own a Husqvarna chain saw and I don't recall seeing that warning. I guess I've been exceedingly lucky to retain my fingers and genitalia.

Besides, no true manly man (or Scotsman) ever reads or heeds or warning labels or instructions. Ever.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    ... It would be nice if they included some irony like "if you did not read this label please let us know on social media"
    I worked in a particular chemical plant for about seven years. Every Wednesday morning at 9:00 they would sound the emergency alert siren as a test. At the end of the test came the announcement, "This has been a test of the emergency alert system. If you do not hear this message call 311."

Seven years.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board