Page 284 of 301 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294 ... LastLast
Results 8,491 to 8,520 of 9022

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I pick pennies up off the ground when I see them. As for your friend, does he have children to leave it to? That makes a difference. We don't, so we're building a fancy house just for us. We can do that because of saving for fifty years.
    Bah! If I'm sweeping up some mess and find any pennies amongst the dust and junk, they go in the trash with the rest of it. I'm not going to get my fingers dirty and have to wash my hands right away. And this was true even back in the 1970s when I lived by myself and did a lot more cleaning and was poorer on top of it.

Today, I don't think I'd stop for a nickel or a dime either.

Yeah, I pick up money. But only if it's unattended. I once saw someone drop a £10 note, a few yards in front of me, and as I was opening my mouth to call to her, a guy ran across the road to pick it up. So I called, and then had the pleasure of watching him try to pretend it was he who had shouted, while he handed it over and she thanked him. The look I got after she had turned away.

Anyway, I always pick up small change. We have a jar in the hallway where I deposit what I find, and my wife chucks in whatever she's finding annoying in her pockets. When the jar's full, I take it to the bank, tip it into the automatic sorter, and enjoy the action. (I did once think I'd broken it, though, because just as the sorter fired up I caught sight of a badge my wife had chucked into the jar during a particularly ill-tempered episode of pocket emptying. But the sorter just spat it into the reject tray. Appropriately enough, the badge said I've Been Shoogled [Scots: gently shaken], for reasons that need not detain us here.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Pick up a penny? I first have to decide how much it's going to hurt.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, duh.

Find a penny,
    Pick it up,
    And all the day
    You'll have good luck.
    I keep telling my wife "Oh, a penny! I'm going to get lucky tonight!"
    Hasn't worked yet.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I pick pennies up off the ground when I see them. As for your friend, does he have children to leave it to? That makes a difference. We don't, so we're building a fancy house just for us. We can do that because of saving for fifty years.
    Yes he does, he has a son who like his father is not short of a bob or two. I understand and appreciate the sentiment, I will be saving up and hopefully leaving some inheritance to my children.

Saving up for fifty years to build your own home is fantastic and I applaud you! Please post some pictures of the progress and the finished job!!

1 & 2 cent coins have not been produced/used in Australia since 1992 so there is not much chance of seeing one to pick up. These days I rarely bother to pick up a 5 cent coin. I am with PetersCreek on the thought process.

If it takes a second to pick up a penny, thatís like earning $36/hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    If it takes a second to pick up a penny, that’s like earning $36/hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've just tried it - from a sitting position I managed to pick up a penny off the floor in 1.4 seconds, from a standing position 2.1 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I've just tried it - from a sitting position I managed to pick up a penny off the floor in 1.4 seconds, from a standing position 2.1 seconds
    Having a quiet day?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    If it takes a second to pick up a penny, that’s like earning $36/hour!
    But if you did that continuously, you'd probably be hospitalized far short of earning $36.

That sometimes while taking a nap it feels like your asleep longer than when you sleep at night.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Saving up for fifty years to build your own home is fantastic and I applaud you! Please post some pictures of the progress and the finished job!!
    Thanks! Big day to day, in fact, we've just got our first walls! They are just so-called "pony walls", used to build up the lower areas of the foundation to the height of the floor, but still: WALLS!
    Perhaps I should start a thread.

Thanks! Big day to day, in fact, we've just got our first walls! They are just so-called "pony walls", used to build up the lower areas of the foundation to the height of the floor, but still: WALLS!
    If I get to start a thread about building plastic models, I reckon you get to start a thread about building an entire house.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Pick up a penny? I first have to decide how much it's going to hurt.
    The rofl icon makes a good lying on the ground in pain icon too. I share your pain.

Have you seen a face that was bearded and got sun burnt then shaven, red, white, red.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If I get to start a thread about building plastic models, I reckon you get to start a thread about building an entire house.

Grant Hutchison
    You and Capt Swoop actually build your models. I just hired somebody.

Then again....
    The custom design is based on sketches I did before we hired them.
    We've stretched the builder's comfort zone more than a little with some of the stuff we've insisted on.
    And I'm monitoring every single step.

About the latter:
    You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would, but I can't) how stressful it is for me to not have full control of this process.

One of our builder's previous clients, whose house we visited before they moved in and inspired our design, were living in Hawaii while their house was being built. We are on the same lot, occasionally coming home to find we can't even get into the garage. (As happened today.) I'm not sure which is better, but I know I couldn't have done the remote thing. It'd kill me.

Kinda funny..... I played golf tuesday. After parking my car, I walked toward the cart area, saw a penny on the ground and picked it.
    Now, I use a magnetic ball marker on my cap (clipped on to the brim ) , but once we got to the first hole, one of the group needed to mark his ball on the green and didn't have a coin of any sort. I threw him the penny, a useful tool in season. He was grateful for the favour.

Dan

Having a quiet day?

Grant Hutchison
    It turned out rather busy

What was amusing is that I was sat at my desk in an open plan office and got some rather strange looks when I kept chucking a penny on the floor to pick back up. Someone shouted over " It doesn't matter how many times you pick the penny up, you only get lucky once"

Yes definitely start a thread and post the progress! We have a TV program here in the UK called Grand Designs which is all about people who take on ambitious self builds, I find it really interesting.

You and Capt Swoop actually build your models. I just hired somebody.

Then again....
    The custom design is based on sketches I did before we hired them.
    We've stretched the builder's comfort zone more than a little with some of the stuff we've insisted on.
    And I'm monitoring every single step.

About the latter:
    You wouldn't believe (or maybe you would, but I can't) how stressful it is for me to not have full control of this process.

One of our builder's previous clients, whose house we visited before they moved in and inspired our design, were living in Hawaii while their house was being built. We are on the same lot, occasionally coming home to find we can't even get into the garage. (As happened today.) I'm not sure which is better, but I know I couldn't have done the remote thing. It'd kill me.
    As I mentioned in my last post - Grand Designs - I don't know if you have seen it or something similar but it might be worth a viewing since you are going through exactly what the program is about. Building your own home has got to be one of the most stressful experiences in normal life. Especially when you have saved up your hard earned money and have a budget to work to!

About the latter:
    Hey, I used to be an anaesthetist. You'll never meet a group of people with more need to control stuff.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Grant Hutchison
    I might contribute, i am building a steel frame barn conversion with my son and the battle with the planners alone provides material, but on the positive side we have a digger, a dumper, a scissor lift and enthusiasm.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I might contribute, i am building a steel frame barn conversion with my son and the battle with the planners alone provides material, but on the positive side we have a digger, a dumper, a scissor lift and enthusiasm.
    I love diggers! Any opportunity to drive one I'm there! My favorite are the track excavators, the bigger the better. I like watching Gold Rush and those Volvo 70 tonner-s in action The largest one I have driven is a 30 ton, to demolish an old building. I loved every minute!

Edit:

Maybe we should have a thread on building & Construction projects!
    Last edited by cosmocrazy; 2018-Apr-27 at 11:59 AM.

I love diggers! Any opportunity to drive one I'm there! My favorite are the track excavators, the bigger the better. I like watching Gold Rush and those Volvo 70 tonner-s in action The largest one I have driven is a 30 ton, to demolish an old building. I loved every minute!

Edit:

Maybe we should have a thread on building & Construction projects!
    yes that's the idea. My digger has metal tracks, (preferred) but it's not a huge beast because a) budget and b) we have to dig foundations under the existing steel frame roof. The planning for steel framed beams is called Q because only James Bond wannabees would try to leap the hurdles put in place. But then we snapped up the plot before we understood all that stuff. No regrets, after all, we have a digger.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Hey, I used to be an anaesthetist. You'll never meet a group of people with more need to control stuff.

Grant Hutchison
    as such you will perhaps be amused by the craze for oxygen bars. I know from my contact with Anaesthetists that our blood is fully oxygenated unless we have serious lung problems but that does not seem to bother the many who sit contentedly with their tubes, breathing Oxygen for many dollars per hour. And they report feeling so much better afterwards. Now any self respecting new float center, I use the USA spelling because they are mostly there, will offer an Oxygen bar alongside the tea, yes tea is going to win as the preferred after float drink along with expensive water.
    sicut vis videre esto

And high concentrations of oxygen actually aren't very good for healthy lungs - for that reason anaesthetists avoid giving you more than you need while you're anaesthetized.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I woke up an hour and a half early for work. Which is good because it gives more time to get ready but it come back to haunt me later this evening because I probably be more worn out then, Also the number of the company is listed on my phone as my mother with number all messed up.

I finished my weaving sample in three days because I hadn’t woven anything since I made potholders and placemats on my little-kid peg loom when I was 11 or so, but once I started again with this project, it all came back and I got in the zone.

Local online classifieds someone is selling woo clamps, yes I can figure out what they are really selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Well, duh.

Find a penny,
    Pick it up,
    And all the day
    You'll have good luck.
    On that theme, by curious synchronicity, I've been walking past a brown disc lying at the side of our garden path for a week now, before I got around to picking it up to see what it is.
    After a bit of a scrub, it turned out to be one of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penny.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	23272
    It's a 1936 penny, which hasn't been legal tender for nigh on 50 years.
    Given that it was so caked in dirt it was featureless when I found it, I can only assume it has weathered out of the earth in the steep rockery next to the path.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: