Page 285 of 301 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295 ... LastLast
Results 8,521 to 8,550 of 9020

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

My understanding is that you can only find pennies in the UK. The US coin, which is often referred to as a penny, is actually a "cent". (And thank you Pawn Stars for that bit of trivia).

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    My understanding is that you can only find pennies in the UK. The US coin, which is often referred to as a penny, is actually a "cent". (And thank you Pawn Stars for that bit of trivia).
    That bit of trivia, which has come up on this board several times in the years I've been here, is wrong. The US one-cent coin is called a "penny" - even the US Mint uses the term.

Although it is true that the word "penny" is not used on the coin itself, as in Grant's picture.

EDIT: I find this interesting - in the US, the one-cent coin says "one cent", not "penny", and the five-cent coin says "five cents", not "nickel". However, the ten-cent coin says "one dime", and not "ten cents." The 25-cent coin says "Quarter Dollar", not "25 cents"
    Last edited by SeanF; 2018-Apr-30 at 03:18 PM.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Irene woke up before I did this morning. When she heard that I was awake, she started bringing me things she felt I'd need. But the pillow I use to provide back support when I'm sitting up in bed is still too heavy for her, so she just brought me a lot of other pillows.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Aww, that's so cute!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The other day looking at Doctor Who images and one came from a what Doctor are you test that i liked, chaotic good.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

More in Adorable Irene--she sleeps on her front, with her knees tucked up. If she covers herself with a blanket, she covers her head and leaves her backside bare.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    More in Adorable Irene--she sleeps on her front, with her knees tucked up. If she covers herself with a blanket, she covers her head and leaves her backside bare.
    Get to have some kind of ventilation.

My tv changes from video1 to video2 if I leave off to long.

While sewing a new button onto a pair of pants I remembered the most embarrassing time a button came off my pants.
    It was during frosh week. There was an activity day thing. One thing they did was a race where you grabbed the pants of the person and in front of you and behind you. About half way down the field a heard a pop and the pants came partially down.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    On that theme, by curious synchronicity, I've been walking past a brown disc lying at the side of our garden path for a week now, before I got around to picking it up to see what it is.
    After a bit of a scrub, it turned out to be one of these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penny.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	340.2 KB 
ID:	23272
    It's a 1936 penny, which hasn't been legal tender for nigh on 50 years.
    Given that it was so caked in dirt it was featureless when I found it, I can only assume it has weathered out of the earth in the steep rockery next to the path.

Grant Hutchison
    So have you had any change in luck since you "picked up the penny"?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    So have you had any change in luck since you "picked up the penny"?
    Quite the reverse. I think there's a statute of limitations on penny-related luck. Or perhaps it does need to be a pin in the UK, like the rhyme over here says.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I have a friend who claims that "you make your own luck". He does seem to be a very lucky person in comparison to most, though I would attribute this to his positive attitude rather than manufactured luck. I can see how one might be able to improve odds so that the likelihood of getting lucky is increased. But I can't see how you can -make your own luck-

Some folk just seem to have all the luck.

For example, I have never won a raffle or a draw or any other form of competition which rely on randomness. A work colleague of mine often wins the staff draw and he recently bought a strip of 5 raffle tickets for a charity event and won twice.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    I have a friend who claims that "you make your own luck". He does seem to be a very lucky person in comparison to most, though I would attribute this to his positive attitude rather than manufactured luck. I can see how one might be able to improve odds so that the likelihood of getting lucky is increased. But I can't see how you can -make your own luck-

Some folk just seem to have all the luck.

For example, I have never won a raffle or a draw or any other form of competition which rely on randomness. A work colleague of mine often wins the staff draw and he recently bought a strip of 5 raffle tickets for a charity event and won twice.
    several sportspersons including Ian Botham have said the famous aphorism, " the more I practise the luckier I get" and one definite aspect of a positive attitude is you recognise your good luck and discount the bad, rather than the other way around. Luck is not found in random low chance incidents but consider how many serious road accidents you have avoided by being in a different place. We most of us have loads of that kind of good luck to be grateful for but all too often we see the one bad thing and forget a lifetime of accident avoidance.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    ...consider how many serious road accidents you have avoided by being in a different place.
    I worked as a grocery store cashier while in school. Occasionally, the line would get held-up for a price check or similar event. If a customer was particularly cranky about it, I would hint that the delay would cause them to avoid a traffic accident on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    several sportspersons including Ian Botham have said the famous aphorism, " the more I practise the luckier I get" and one definite aspect of a positive attitude is you recognise your good luck and discount the bad, rather than the other way around. Luck is not found in random low chance incidents but consider how many serious road accidents you have avoided by being in a different place. We most of us have loads of that kind of good luck to be grateful for but all too often we see the one bad thing and forget a lifetime of accident avoidance.
    Absolutely, choosing to ignore, or rather, not dwell on bad fortune and focus on the good fortune will certainly change a person's outlook and may even make them feel lucky. Obviously we can choose to see things any which way we want to and sometimes we are just programmed to view things a certain way.

I'm a "sit on the fence" type of person where I neither consider myself lucky or unlucky as I feel I'm lucky in some respects and unlucky in others. I do believe a positive attitude helps a person to feel fortunate. But they also have to believe that, not just think it! I believe life is a balance and rather than a single person's luck I see the world as a whole. In that there (as an example) are 5% very lucky, 20% lucky more than not, 25% occasionally lucky, 25 % rarely lucky, 20% unlucky, 5% very unlucky people in the world in total .

Got a gift card from the grocery store chains in Canada and came with a page of English and French of legal stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Got a gift card from the grocery store chains in Canada and came with a page of English and French of legal stuff.
    Was that the refund in the bread price-fixing scandal?

I think so, all I was told by someone was to apply for it, it came in just in time because I have to get some snacks because I will driving around a lot in the near term.

I always enjoy learning new things. Today I learned that the bearcat (which is neither) smells like buttered popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I always enjoy learning new things. Today I learned that the bearcat (which is neither) smells like buttered popcorn.
    Hilariously, CQ's nanny system has broken both your links, replacing the first four letters of the animal's name, B, I, N and T (which are followed by -urong), with asterisks. Folks will have to make their own edits to restore your links.
    (I had no idea the elided word was still in use as a slur - it has a definite feel of the UK in the 1950s about it.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-May-04 at 03:01 PM. Reason: bracketed
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Interesting. My university's mascot was a bearcat, a creature that the vast majority of us had never seen nor could describe.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Interesting. My university's mascot was a bearcat, a creature that the vast majority of us had never seen nor could describe.
    When we were younger, my brothers and I visited the Cradle of Aviation museum in Bethpage, near the old Grumman factory, several times because we all loved (and still love) flying machines. While reading a list of Grumman’s fighter planes, I saw the F8F Bearcat listed, and asked very loudly “What in heck is a bearcat? Were they just running out of cats to use?”

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    When we were younger, my brothers and I visited the Cradle of Aviation museum in Bethpage, near the old Grumman factory, several times because we all loved (and still love) flying machines. While reading a list of Grumman’s fighter planes, I saw the F8F Bearcat listed, and asked very loudly “What in heck is a bearcat? Were they just running out of cats to use?”
    I've always "loved" the F8 ... and had no idea it was a real animal.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

When someone in a movie or tv claims to be somewhere because they were on the computer, someone else could of been using the account or they just left it on and walked away hours at a time.

Hilariously, CQ's nanny system has broken both your links, replacing the first four letters of the animal's name, B, I, N and T (which are followed by -urong), with asterisks. Folks will have to make their own edits to restore your links.
    (I had no idea the elided word was still in use as a slur - it has a definite feel of the UK in the 1950s about it.)

Grant Hutchison
    Holy, um, buttered popcorn!
    Please go to Wikipedia and search for "Bearcat". The search for "bearcat popcorn" on Google. I don't know how else to fix it. As I recall, one of the mods fixed "Scunthorpe" a few years ago.

Holy, um, buttered popcorn!
    Please go to Wikipedia and search for "Bearcat". The search for "bearcat popcorn" on Google. I don't know how else to fix it.
    Or people can click on the links, and then manually restore the B, I, N and T where the asterisks are, and then click again. That's what I did, but I guess I had the advantage of already knowing the other name of the bearcat.
    It's interesting more people seem to know it from the name of the plane than the name of the classic car - I'd have guessed the other way around.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Grumman was indeed very fond of "cat" names for their fighters. The last was the F-14 Tomcat.

Grumman was indeed very fond of "cat" names for their fighters. The last was the F-14 Tomcat.
    Hence my comment “Were they just running out of cats to use?” Their preference for cat names was pretty clear from the museum displays!

Hence my comment “Were they just running out of cats to use?” Their preference for cat names was pretty clear from the museum displays!
    Bearcat was actually a return to an identifiable animal species (albeit not feline) after a diversion into Hellcat and Tigercat, both of which were terms used for stroppy women. There's a long tradition of that sort of name in the Royal Navy - we've had an HMS Vixen, HMS Virago and HMS Termagant, that I can recall. I bet there are others. (Yes, I know a vixen is a female fox - but I'm prepared to bet that wasn't the kind of vixen depicted by the figurehead.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Or people can click on the links, and then manually restore the B, I, N and T where the asterisks are, and then click again. That's what I did, but I guess I had the advantage of already knowing the other name of the bearcat.
    It's interesting more people seem to know it from the name of the plane than the name of the classic car - I'd have guessed the other way around.

Grant Hutchison
    Well, this is a space exploration forum and many people are interested in both rockets and airplanes.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2018-May-05 at 07:21 PM.