Page 286 of 298 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296 ... LastLast
Results 8,551 to 8,580 of 8916

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Well, this is a space exploration forum and many people are interested in both rockets and airplanes.
    Yeah but: the Stutz Bearcat! Surely?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I see this every work day when I park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parking.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	23294  
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    I have never seen a Stutz Bearcat in the flesh, so to speak. Whenever I see it mentioned my mind always goes way back to a very short-lived, 13 episodes, cowboy show starring Rod Taylor in which "Mercenaries Johnny Reach and Hank Brackett cruise the American Southwest in 1914 in their Stutz Bearcat in search of action and adventure. They often take dangerous assignments for pay; their fee is usually a blank check, and after the mission, they just fill in whatever amount they think the job was worth." https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066631/.

Grant Hutchison
    I had never heard of it until this moment, so... not surely?

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I had never heard of it until this moment, so... not surely?
    That also shows that you, unlike me, have not wasted your time watching "The Simpsons" as it is one Mr Burns vehicles.Though, I was familiar with it from the early 1970's.

That yesterday I was so close to the american border and on a ridge that my cell phone was claiming I was roaming.
    That even that I forgot to turn on my gps tracker for the first hours I still ran out the charge on it.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    That also shows that you, unlike me, have not wasted your time watching "The Simpsons" as it is one Mr Burns vehicles.Though, I was familiar with it from the early 1970's.
    And the Houndcats cartoon from the 1970s (a sort of Wacky Races, Mission Impossible, Wild Wild West, Bearcat! mashup). And the name of a singing group from the 1980s, specializing in 1920s songs. And New Wave novels.
    For some reason that particular car (or just its name) filtered into popular culture.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    That yesterday I was so close to the american border and on a ridge that my cell phone was claiming I was roaming.
    That even that I forgot to turn on my gps tracker for the first hours I still ran out the charge on it.
    I can see Canada from my house. It's 25 miles or more, but line of sight; whereas the nearest local tower is over a hill somewhere. I frequently get those messages.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I didn't waste my time with The Simpsons all that much; I don't consider most of the episodes I've seen to be a waste!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I can see Canada from my house. It's 25 miles or more, but line of sight; whereas the nearest local tower is over a hill somewhere. I frequently get those messages.
    I going back out today and the area I am going has a house right against the river which is the border. My routes look like a drunken monkey came up with them and my sister is not impressed by hers either.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    I find this interesting - in the US, the one-cent coin says "one cent", not "penny", and the five-cent coin says "five cents", not "nickel". However, the ten-cent coin says "one dime", and not "ten cents." The 25-cent coin says "Quarter Dollar", not "25 cents"
    That's because no coin has the coin's "name" written on it but each one has its value relative to a dollar written on it in terms of the nearest fractional unit that can be conveniently expressed in Latin.

cent = 1/100
    quarter = 1/4
    dime = 1/10 (from Latin "decimal" by way of French; the French word "dīme" has that thing over the "i" that indicates a lost S-sound after the vowel, more easily recognizable in other cases like "hōpital" for "hospital")

So what each coin really says is "one hundredth", "five hundredths", "one tenth", and "one fourth" (any Latin word for "one twentieth" that might have existed was not well known among Englishers)... nothing that was meant as a coin's "name" as we now think of them.

("Penny" seems to have been a name for a coin or other object used for payments as far back as it can be traced. "Nickel" was named after the metal it was made from, which was named for a nickname of "Nickolas" because that had a second meaning in German at the time, for an insignificant person (or thing) trying to pretend to be more important than it is, such as a metal that isn't sliver looking like silver at a glance.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I going back out today and the area I am going has a house right against the river which is the border. My routes look like a drunken monkey came up with them and my sister is not impressed by hers either.
    Here are couple of pics in the neighborhood of that house.
    https://twitter.com/BackroadAstro/st...87031064231936

And US Nickels have always been made mostly from copper. When I was a kid, you could tell a Canadian one from ours because they were mostly nickel and stuck to a magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I didn't waste my time with The Simpsons all that much; I don't consider most of the episodes I've seen to be a waste!
    I don't really think so either as I like the show. I was being a bit tongue in cheek as we all have different tastes and points of view..

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    What she said.

I don't really think so either as I like the show. I was being a bit tongue in cheek as we all have different tastes and points of view..
    Yeah, I thought it was a rather nicely phrased way of sending the message, "I realize you may dislike or ignore something that I enjoy." Folk in these parts also say something like, "I don't suppose you watch The Simpsons?", which serves the same purpose - letting your collocutor know they're not going to get into a fight if they announce that, actually, they don't much care for The Simpsons.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Interesting. My university's mascot was a bearcat, a creature that the vast majority of us had never seen nor could describe.
    University of Cincinnati? My wife is also an alumnus.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    University of Cincinnati? My wife is also an alumnus.
    Sorry, no.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Sorry, no.
    So there are two schools that are the Bearcats? And I thought one was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    That's because no coin has the coin's "name" written on it...
    Except for the dime.

Seriously, though, thanks for the info - very interesting.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

A guy in one of our chemistry classes asked aloud "What's a dimer?"

After some silence, one of the wise guys offered "Two nicklers?"

Yeah, I thought it was a rather nicely phrased way of sending the message, "I realize you may dislike or ignore something that I enjoy." Folk in these parts also say something like, "I don't suppose you watch The Simpsons?", which serves the same purpose - letting your collocutor know they're not going to get into a fight if they announce that, actually, they don't much care for The Simpsons.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Actually I rather like the term "colluctor" which I don't recall having run across much before, if at all. In context it is perfectly understandable but it has a wonderful arcane type of feel - almost Dickensian perhaps.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-May-07 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    A guy in one of our chemistry classes asked aloud "What's a dimer?"

After some silence, one of the wise guys offered "Two nicklers?"

That's terrible.... I'll have to remember that.

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say. Actually I rather like the term "colluctor" which I don't recall having run across much before, if at all. In context it is perfectly understandable but it has a wonderful arcane type of feel - almost Dickensian perhaps.
    Hence, of course, colloquial - the sort of language you might use in a colloquy with your collocutor.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Hence, of course, colloquial - the sort of language you might use in a colloquy with your collocutor.

Grant Hutchison
    I have never studied Latin but assumed these words had a Latin base and according to my Google search they do. I am just a bit worried that I will now be visited by a Centurion and given an intensive Latin lesson to improve my vocabulary so I am now boning up on "Romani ite domum" etc

I love my wife dearly, but oh, her taste in television! She watches Lifetime Movies: invariably the most ridiculously drawn out melodramas you can imagine.

On the one she's watching at the moment, a character called "Scarlet" just said "Frankly, I don't give a damn."

With some of my travels of late I don't thank any soul has gone there before.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I love my wife dearly, but oh, her taste in television! She watches Lifetime Movies: invariably the most ridiculously drawn out melodramas you can imagine.

On the one she's watching at the moment, a character called "Scarlet" just said "Frankly, I don't give a damn."
    My wife is a huge fan of the Hallmark Channel. This year, they've expanded their stable of Christmas specials to include romances involving holidays all year round.

They are obviously doing well. They recently announced that they are producing 38 Christmas specials this year, and I'm certain my wife will watch every one.

Bearcat was actually a return to an identifiable animal species (albeit not feline) after a diversion into Hellcat and Tigercat, both of which were terms used for stroppy women. There's a long tradition of that sort of name in the Royal Navy - we've had an HMS Vixen, HMS Virago and HMS Termagant, that I can recall. I bet there are others. (Yes, I know a vixen is a female fox - but I'm prepared to bet that wasn't the kind of vixen depicted by the figurehead.)

Grant Hutchison
    There have also been several ships called "HMS Cockchafer" through the years. No idea about the origin of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    There have also been several ships called "HMS Cockchafer" through the years. No idea about the origin of that one.
    You don't see real live cockchafers very often these days. The most recent HMS Cockchafer was an "insect-class" river gunboat, it says here, so that would make sense. Two previous incarnations were gunboats, too - I guess the idea is to evoke something that's small but scary and offensive.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note: