Page 293 of 301 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,790 of 9026

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

The only person I know who has been to one refers to it as "The Steakback Outhouse".

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    The only person I know who has been to one refers to it as "The Steakback Outhouse".
    I also have only met one person who has been to one. He went for a laugh, while on a holiday in the US . He said that it served hilariously un-Australian food. Steak is steak but the other menu items would apparently only be considered Australian in a fever-dream. I think it would be like going to an "American" Pizza shop in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I am now picturing an entire torpedo tube full of Fosters, which I've been told is Australian for beer.

ETA:
    I was actually led down this particular rabbit hole by a post on another forum about Australia buying an expensive drone, which led to another post about the RAN buying an expensive ship, which led me to look up the Royal Australian Navy, which led to their current submarine, which led to....
    So you went via the Triton Drone to probably the new ASW Frigates (Frigates these days can apparently be nearly 9,000 tonnes), to the new Shortfin Barracuda Submarines, to the current Collins Class Submarine and then to the retired Oberon Class ones. That is a nice rabbit hole - and the sort I end up following most days myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    I recently ate at one, and the steak was actually pretty good for its price point.

I never thought of them as Australian food, but more “Australian themed” - which as best I could tell consisted of a large, panoramic photo of Sydney Harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Both of these might be regional things, and while they are annoying, my wife tells me the way I complain is pretty funny.

I can't stand Outback Steakhouse. It falls in my amusing-confusing pet peeves category. A lot of people there work on that "G'day!" greeting, to the point where they might as well be playing a recording at you. Sounds just like Crocodile Dundee. And then they drop the accent. I spend my meal concerned that it will come back. I can't stop looking over my shoulder. That used to be a big deal to me, but I found a place that is worse.

Moe's Tacos. It sort of like a Subway for Tacos, except instead of 2 staff waiting to pile food up on a plate, there are 6-8 of them. They all chant "Welcome to Moe's... Welcome to Moe's... Welcome to Moe's..." while you look at the menu. I said "hi" and "thanks!" in an effort to make them stop, but they don't. It sounds like a Hokey-Pokey themed demonic summoning. I find that confusing when trying to read the menu and order. Been there twice. The thing I ordered and the thing delivered were completely different and I can't help but think that the chanting had something to do with it.

Back to demonic summoning for the win. I play this game called Gemstone IV. It's a mud text game. It started back in the 1980's. Since the beginning, the sorcerer class has been promised the ability to summon and control demons. One occasion they did a one off where they arranged for the players to solve a puzzle, go on a hunt for materials and special clothes, then assemble in a secret place to learn to summon demons. The incantation went: "Take the right rune and put in the middle of the circle. Now, take you left rune and..."

It's a text game with hundreds of participants, it took a long time to get every one to do the sequence correctly. It didn't work so the leader yelled: "Faster!" and end up going through the whole song: "Put your right foot in, take your right foot out..."

Just when everyone caught on that it was just the hokey-pokey song with a sorcerers theme, a demon appeared and killed us all. Comedy gold.
    Solfe

The employees at Moe’s weren’t chanting at you, they are apparently required to yell that whenever someone walks in the door. You apparently arrived at a busy time.

I will concede that it gets annoying pretty quickly, though. - and their menu is rather confusing.

Sometimes I guess it is good to be from a region where hardly anyone knows about it so the can't make a theme restaurant about it. But there is probably someone somewhere trying to start restaurant wearing fisherman gear selling lobster and potatoes calling it maritime grub.

There are a chain here called Jungle Jims about 20 years ago I went to one after an undergrad conference and it had a lot of plants and such around the place. A few months ago after my niece came back from Italy we went to another one and this one could be any old chain restaurant. Had a good time both times but maybe it was the company.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    As they will tell you, it isn’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    (I have to jump in and agree with KaiYeves here, sorry.)

Absolutely correct! It is barely sold in Australia these days. Fosters is part of Anheuser-Busch InBev and has not been Australian owned for years. It was never very popular outside the state of Victoria and I never had a Fosters until I went to the UK in the mid 1970's. As I have read elsewhere, it is about as Australian as "The Outback Steakhouse" - which means not very.
    Did I really need to specifically state that "I've been told" by American TV commercials?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The employees at Moe’s weren’t chanting at you, they are apparently required to yell that whenever someone walks in the door. You apparently arrived at a busy time.

I will concede that it gets annoying pretty quickly, though. - and their menu is rather confusing.

Oh, no. The first time I was there was at 3 pm on a Tuesday afternoon. We were the only people in the place and the staff were swaying back and forth chanting away. I seriously did a 360 look-round trying find a camera, making sure that my family was also experiencing the same thing and I wasn't have a stroke or hallucinating.

My second visit was at the new location, 3 times bigger that the first one. Equally dead and strange. Any time I have mentioned this place to people I know, they have never been then. "Where is that? What's it like?"
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    We were the only people in the place and the staff were swaying back and forth chanting away
    In that case, “Welcome to The Twilight Zone.”

The summer I took classes at Yale, I had a routine of going to a Moe's near the Peabody Museum on Thursdays after my Astronomy class and then to the museum to look at the dinosaurs. It made for a good day.

I have not been to an Outback, but when my Mom and I were in Newport a month ago, we ate at this local Australian-themed restaurant. One of the owners, who was working behind the counter, really is Australian, so I hope the food was more authentic. I do know it was the best tomato-and-avocado omelet and one of the best chai lattes I've ever had.

(If a certain joke about Australians and Newport occurs to you-- yes, yes, they do have a laminated newspaper clipping about that particular historical event hanging on the wall, and several kangaroo battle flags.)
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2018-Jul-02 at 07:26 PM.

I have a computer that automatically downloads my podcasts and can stream them all over my house. A few years ago, I complained that Pamela and Fraser occasionally cussed on AstronomyCast and I discontinued them in my classroom because of it.

Today, I picked a random episode and Fraser chided Pamela not to cuss. Apparently, they read the forum.
    Solfe

The summer I took classes at Yale, I had a routine of going to a Moe's near the Peabody Museum on Thursdays after my Astronomy class and then to the museum to look at the dinosaurs. It made for a good day.

I have not been to an Outback, but when my Mom and I were in Newport a month ago, we ate at this local Australian-themed restaurant. One of the owners, who was working behind the counter, really is Australian, so I hope the food was more authentic. I do know it was the best tomato-and-avocado omelet and one of the best chai lattes I've ever had.

(If a certain joke about Australians and Newport occurs to you-- yes, yes, they do have a laminated newspaper clipping about that particular historical event hanging on the wall, and several kangaroo battle flags.)
    Except for the Australiana,which makes sense in this context,that certainly does seem like the sort of cafe my son & his wife goes to for Brunch. And it even has the dreaded Vegemite on toast as a breakfast item! The lunch menu is also just what I would expect to choose from in Perth, complete with beetroot on the burger. The only give-away is fries rather than chips.

Did I really need to specifically state that "I've been told" by American TV commercials?
    My apologies.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Jul-03 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's a little company. They product the Hack series of games. Classical Hack is their main title.

What may be of bigger interest is the models my dad builds for the demo games.

Here is just one picture of the game being set up for play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	long69_med_hr.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	23433

Edit - Scale... hahaha! Those are 25 mm figures in the foreground next to 12 inch ruler. The siege towers are about 8-10" tall.
    Now I know what the boards look like in Banks' "The Player of Games"!

That is a great looking set up, and I occasionally see people playing the "Hack" series of rules.

My apologies.
    No worries, mate, you wouldn't have seen the ads!

Meanwhile, "American for beer" would be Budweiser. Which is also owned by InBev, headquartered in Belgium.

I crack myself up. If Facebook is like "1984", twitter is the Thunderdome.
    Solfe

So the Australian accent seems to be the bane of AI voice recognition.

I found out today our local cable company has been giving refunds to Australians who can't communicate with their voice activated devices.

Alexa in particular seems to be really bad at it.

Which I find odd mainly because Australians find *my* accent near incomprehensible but I have no problem speaking to my devices.

Even drunk!
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Have you seen the Apple/Siri Scotland commercial? I'd put a link in but the frustration level builds rather quickly. It is hilarious. "Apple Scotland... havin' a wee bit of trouble..."
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    So the Australian accent seems to be the bane of AI voice recognition.

I found out today our local cable company has been giving refunds to Australians who can't communicate with their voice activated devices.

Alexa in particular seems to be really bad at it.

Which I find odd mainly because Australians find *my* accent near incomprehensible but I have no problem speaking to my devices.

Even drunk!
    My strong Australian accent seems to particularly cause problems when I speak to my wife's German relatives - in English, my German is just good enough to order a meal in a restaurant. Their English is usually very good and they have no troubles with my wife, but I perplex them. I am usually better with most other nationalities.

When we were in Canada, Toronto and eastwards to Halifax, my wife, whose accent is not very strong, and I were often asked if we were, heaven forbid, English. It was usually only someone who was well acquainted with Australia/Australians who picked our accent. If we were around Whistler, Vancouver etc I doubt there would have been the same confusion as huge numbers of Australians travel and work there.

I actually am excellent at understanding foreign or regionally accented English. Probably from spending a lot of my career in Customs talking to just those people. In "West Coast" Ireland I had to translate the locals for my wife. She was often completely thrown by their accent and occasional use of slightly unusual words. They also sometimes asked us if we were English.

But you might beat me of course BigDon.

The BBC News has just featured an item about travel disruption because of a power failure at Victoria Station in London.
    The reporter's name was Victoria Fritz.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

I wonder if her middle name was anya.

Except for the Australiana,which makes sense in this context,that certainly does seem like the sort of cafe my son & his wife goes to for Brunch. And it even has the dreaded Vegemite on toast as a breakfast item! The lunch menu is also just what I would expect to choose from in Perth, complete with beetroot on the burger. The only give-away is fries rather than chips.
    Well, anyone who knows my history with Vegemite will understand why I passed it up as an option.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The BBC News has just featured an item about travel disruption because of a power failure at Victoria Station in London.
    The reporter's name was Victoria Fritz.

Grant Hutchison
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Well, anyone who knows my history with Vegemite will understand why I passed it up as an option.
    Things that bug me #1: The black text on army green is really hard to read...
    Things that bug me #2: I'm old enough that I'd have been doing that report in pencil, with no illustrations whatsoever.

Things that amuse me: Teachers annotation re Vegemite: "Yum "

Things that make me happy: The whole report. And our young Kai is all grown up and doing archaeology!

I happen to have some Vegemite. I hereby promise to put some on toast for breakfast tomorrow. Unless I forget, after all, I'm pretty old.

My wife was highly delighted tonight when the murder victim in "Endeavour" - Series 5 - had the same name as her, prior to our marriage.

I happen to have some Vegemite. I hereby promise to put some on toast for breakfast tomorrow. Unless I forget, after all, I'm pretty old.
    I forgot!

Treb, you are still younger than the auctioneer I work with he just turned 76 on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    In that case, “Welcome to The Twilight Zone.”
    Oh, wait. I understand. I had thought Moe's was a local restaurant. If its national, its dying here. A lot of places come into the area and if they can't adapt to the local environment, they die. It's tough opening a restaurant here in Buffalo. Too many things are too different. Locals do ok, but national chains buy the farm rather quickly. 5 years tops for most of them. Many of them much less.

Cheesecake Factory and Applebees seem to be exceptions. However, Applebees seems to have adapted to local standards. Real wings, bleu cheese, no ranch, etc. I am not sure about Cheesecake Factory. Probably too unique to require change. Not many places can say that. Oddly, I have a Cheesecake Factory around the corner, but I only eat non-cheesecake foods there. Too many local bakeries cranking out better quality cheesecake and far lower prices.

That reminds me, I need to order a cake for my wife's birthday. Cheesecake is an odd thing. Tends to be expensive, but really isn't especially expensive to make. Cheesecake Factory cakes are way over priced for this market. Wal-mart and Sam's Club crank out cheesecake too, but they are priced right around what local bakeries charge for an amazing product. Overpriced vs ho-hum vs. amazing. Never understood that dynamic.
    Solfe