Page 314 of 318 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316 ... LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,420 of 9512

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

I was going to say that it seemed like a rude thing to call an Italian lady.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    On my way home yesterday evening I drove pasta woman walking her dog through our subdivision. They were being accompanied by a cat. The cat was walking alongside the dog, rubbing against it every so often. The dog was (at least pretending to be) oblivious. The woman was acting like this was a normal thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    One of our neighbors has a similar situation. She will take her dogs for a walk and her cat follows, not on leash, and always staying about 10 feet back. If she and the dogs stop, the cat stops (but 10 feet away) and when they start walking again, the cat continues to follow them at the safe distance. It reminds of that child who is old enough to want to pretend they are independent, but doesn't want to get left behind by mommy.
    Reminds me of a scene from my hometown. One of the neighbouring families had a young son and daughter, and a cat. One day I saw the two kids running across the field behind their house towards the playground, and the cat was following them with the same apparent enthusiasm. It reminded me of a dog's behaviour.

The latest Laurel-vs-Yanni Internet meme question, involving Grover's excellent idea. Can't really go into too much detail here, as it involves some bad language.

Interesting thing about this one is that I can choose beforehand to hear it either way, and whichever I choose is what I'll hear, plain as day.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

A couple of days ago, Mrs M, who keeps careful track of the weather for her gardening, showed me the week’s forecast on her phone, noting that our high temperature on successive days would be: 80, then 70, then 60 degrees F. All nice multiples of ten, and descending regularly. I wonder, she said, how long that clear trend will continue.

Doing some math on a napkin (this was at lunch), I figured we’d be at 50 on Wednesday, 40 on Thursday, and at 0 Fahrenheit on January 15. Continuing to lose ten degrees a day, we’d be at -450 degrees F on March 1. Absolute Zero on the Rankine scale (which uses Fahrenheit-sized degrees) is -459.67, so it couldn’t very well continue to drop any more on March 2 (my birthday).

Not likely as long as the Sun holds out. Q.E.D.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    ... Not likely as long as the Sun holds out. Q.E.D.
    What do you know you're not sharing?!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    What do you know you're not sharing?!
    I think the trend is already broken, so don't worry about it.

My wife is watching a Hitler History Channel documentary about Leonardo DaVinci. I never knew he spoke with a Scottish accent.

(His words are voiced by Peter Capaldi. Who at least has an Italian name.)
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife is watching a Hitler History Channel documentary about Leonardo DaVinci. I never knew he spoke with a Scottish accent.

And Leonardo is apparently going to play....Leonardo.

https://deadline.com/2018/02/leonard...ie-1202276443/

February 1, 2018 - Paramount has set John Logan to adapt the Walter Isaacson book Leonardo da Vinci as a star vehicle for Leonardo DiCaprio to play the painter/scientist. DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson are producing through their Appian Way banner. Paramount won the book last year following a multi-studio bidding battle. Logan’s recent screen credits include Genius, Specter, Gladiator and Skyfall, and this is his second collaboration with DiCaprio after he scripted the Martin Scorsese-directed Howard Hughes pic The Aviator.

Out there among the science news headlines was this jaw-dropper about... I can't say it.

Mothers use sex pheromones to veil eggs, preventing cannibalism

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-mother...veil-eggs.html

Not MY Mom!
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    ó Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

I saw that on Youtube. I thought it was pretty great, but you are right, the accent is jarring at first. After a while, I found I could roll with it.
    Solfe

In Disney, we spent some time by the pool at the resort. They had a MC poolside, she played music, games, etc. At one point, she was playing music from various Disney rides and had the crowd guess the name of the song or attraction.

She played one of the songs from the Tiki Room and my wife, who had consumed far too much alcohol for day, let alone that morning shouted out: "The Tiki Room! This is my jam!"

I can't remember what the MC said, but it was something to the effect of: "Yes. Of course it is." which got howls of laughter.
    Solfe

Our garage is still full of stuff from our move. Yesterday I was trying to improve on that and started putting stuff on a metal shelf unit we moved up from the old garage. Holy cow, that thing was wobbly. The fairly near term goal is to get a car into that side so I realized I needed to screw it to the wall. That was today's project.
    Naturally, the first phase was to take everything off which was still pretty much higgledy-piggledy anyhow. Among the stuff was a pair of short candlesticks. Probably something we got from either my parents or hers, neither of us remembers. Heavily tarnished, so I figured "silver plate". But when I looked at the bottom, they were marked. Hey, I've got Sterling! Then I set them aside and got on with the job.
    Once finished, I brought one in and looked at the markings with a magnifier. Got the name and put it into Google. Found some on eBay. Wow, the picture shows the exact same candlestick! How rich am I going to be?
    Current bid: US$4.95. For the pair. Oh.

I just finished a Stephen King novel where a monster is killed with a silver candlestick, so . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I just finished a Stephen King novel where a monster is killed with a silver candlestick, so . . . .
    Was he killed by Colonel Mustard in the Library?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

How rich am I going to be?
    Current bid: US$4.95. For the pair. Oh.
    They're probably worth more than that melted down.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    They're probably worth more than that melted down.
    Tough to tell how much silver there actually is. It's what's called "weighted sterling", which means there's some sort of base metal inside. They are quite heavy but I'd guess only a minor fraction is silver.

I always thought "candlestick" was just a longer synonym for "candle", because they're stick-shaped and "candle" doesn't always fit where you need it to in a nursery-rhyme.

When I was clearing out my deceased friend's shop, I came across a collection of small ingots that I suspected were solder he'd recovered from repairing saw blades over the years. I measured the volume as 512 cm3 using Archimede's method. The mass is about 3900 g, for a density of ~7.62 g/cm3. The solder used in the work he did is Tin-Silver, and this density is greater than that I found reported for a Sn96Ag4 alloy. But I don't know if the density of the alloy varies predictably with the proportion of its constituents (I'm thinking crystallization effects).

So it remains a bit of a mystery to me. The simple solution would be to ask one of his colleagues what the specs for that kind of solder are... yeah, that would be a good way to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    When I was clearing out my deceased friend's shop, I came across a collection of small ingots that I suspected were solder he'd recovered from repairing saw blades over the years. I measured the volume as 512 cm3 using Archimede's method. The mass is about 3900 g, for a density of ~7.62 g/cm3. The solder used in the work he did is Tin-Silver, and this density is greater than that I found reported for a Sn96Ag4 alloy. But I don't know if the density of the alloy varies predictably with the proportion of its constituents (I'm thinking crystallization effects).

So it remains a bit of a mystery to me. The simple solution would be to ask one of his colleagues what the specs for that kind of solder are... yeah, that would be a good way to find out!
    Lead?

Lead?
    Re-tipping carbide saw teeth was one of the services he did in that shop. As I understand it, there is no lead in this application - just tin and silver. But while the process is commonly referred to as "silver soldering", he may have actually been brazing, which apparently requires a higher silver content.

Edit to add: I just calculated a density of 7.4 g/cm3 for a Sn96Ag4 alloy using simple proportions, and that's the same as I saw reported elsewhere. So if the density does vary simply with proportions, this may contain 11% silver. (Note that my measurement of its mass was kind of crude though - bathroom scale.)

And another edit: Now I'm really confused - but still amused! Maybe there is copper and zinc in this alloy too.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2019-Jan-16 at 12:15 AM.

I suggest you not grind it up small and eat it!

When I was in the forest products industry for a couple of years, I went twice to a trade show in Portland. A couple of vendors were showing automated equipment for re-tipping carbide blades. Quite large ones. It was pretty cool. I don't recall the heat source but it was likely inductive.
    My own employer made debarkers and used an inductive system to braze carbides to the knife arm tips. Also pretty cool. The power supply was the size of my bathroom. Place the steel tip, the pre-formed braze bits, the carbides; close the door; push the button. A loud hum, everything turned kind of red, push another button and it dropped into a container of water. Took about 30 seconds.

I got a lot of sun on my trip to Florida. The sun makes my freckles more prominent.

I have a student who requires assistance grooming and toileting. Face washing, hand washing, brushing her teeth and hair, etc. until she is adept enough to do it herself. The women who take care of her were of the opinion that this will be a long time coming. Every morning, I make a point of complementing her for attending to these tasks and thank the staff for doing it as means of encouraging her to try these tasks on her own (and hopefully to start speaking).

This morning, she came in to the classroom after grooming and sat next to me. She studied my face for a bit then ran out of the room. She came back with a washcloth and attempted to scrub my freckles off. It didn't work, but boy did she try. It was a dry wash cloth and my cheeks are still sore.

Come Monday, we'll be using a different procedure for her needs.
    Solfe

While checking my spelling on a word for the rise and fall of landscape, it was a relief to see there were so many synonyms for it in the thesaurus.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I remembr D H Lawrence describing that as like muscle. It stuck with me, was that in the thesaurus?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

The kids watch a Russian cartoon called Masha and the Bear. Bear is a former circus animal who's retired to the Siberian wilderness. This morning, it occurred to me that he's even better at sleight-of-hand than I'd previously realized, given that he doesn't wear clothing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've occasionally ordered one thing on-line and received a different thing. Most memorably, when a large hardback volume of gay erotic photography arrived instead of two slim volumes about British wild flowers I'd ordered for my mother's birthday. (Glad I didn't go down the "gift wrap and deliver directly" route with that one.)
    But the substitution was always like-for-like - the wrong book, the wrong item of clothing, the wrong music.

Today, a blu-ray movie I'd ordered was delivered - except the padded envelope contained a single packet of instant Szechuanese "Hot & Sour" soup (serves 4). I really can't get any cerebral traction on how something like that might happen. Maybe a dispatcher was disappointedly pouring boiling water over a blu-ray keep case a couple of days ago, stirring furiously, and wondering why the soup was so bland.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Most memorably, when a large hardback volume of gay erotic photography arrived instead of two slim volumes about British wild flowers I'd ordered for my mother's birthday. (Glad I didn't go down the "gift wrap and deliver directly" route with that one.)

Well, they are both books about reproductive organs.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Yeah, the worst I've ever gotten was ordering a three-volume set and getting one volume of it. They refunded my money and even let me keep the book . . . so now I have two copies of that particular book, as I still ordered the set at a later date. I'd wondered why the price on that one was so much less than the others; it turned out to be because they didn't have a way of making clear in their own inventory that it was just the one volume.

"You can't erase icing."

I ordered a book one time and received the empty box. I contacted the supplier and they apologized and sent a replacement book. A few days after the replacement arrived the original book showed up in my mailbox. It must have fallen out of the box and the post office eventually got it to me by looking at the invoice stuck inside it. I offered to return the duplicate but the supplier said not to bother.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I was picking up a garment at the dry cleaner yesterday and a Santa suit went by on the conveyor. He doesn't need it until December, the lady said.