Page 291 of 301 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,730 of 9023

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Better not drink too much, then.
    I was waiting for that one!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I missed it?

How the heck did I miss it?
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

The Mr. and I had spent the last few days in a stalemate over cookies. I was going to buy one box of Tate's chocolate chip cookies but made an offhand comment about him eating them all. He threw down by suggesting we each get our own and the one who finishes last, wins. Challenge accepted! We've both spent the last 5 days with 2 cookies in our packages. He threw up his white flag, yesterday and ate his two cookies, meaning I could finally have mine. Pro-tip: those cookies are way better when they are first opened.

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    The Mr. and I had spent the last few days in a stalemate over cookies. I was going to buy one box of Tate's chocolate chip cookies but made an offhand comment about him eating them all. He threw down by suggesting we each get our own and the one who finishes last, wins. Challenge accepted! We've both spent the last 5 days with 2 cookies in our packages. He threw up his white flag, yesterday and ate his two cookies, meaning I could finally have mine. Pro-tip: those cookies are way better when they are first opened.

My wife and I are kind of opposites on that kind of stuff. I can go to the store and not buy cookies (or whatever), but if they are in the house, I'll eat them, and I'll usually eat a lot of them in one sitting. She'll go to the store and she will just have to buy the cookies or whatever she is craving, but then she can bring them home and eat them one at a time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

My wife and I are kind of opposites on that kind of stuff. I can go to the store and not buy cookies (or whatever), but if they are in the house, I'll eat them, and I'll usually eat a lot of them in one sitting. She'll go to the store and she will just have to buy the cookies or whatever she is craving, but then she can bring them home and eat them one at a time.
    Ah, so it sounds like the net result is that she'll buy the cookies and eat a few of them, but then they're in the house, and you'll eat the rest.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ah, so it sounds like the net result is that she'll buy the cookies and eat a few of them, but then they're in the house, and you'll eat the rest.
    If it is a cookie we both like. Lucky for my waistline, she usually buys things I don't like (like things poisoned with coconut).

I just asked my wife what movie she is watching and she said "The Pelican Briefs." I didn't know they wore those. Now I'm trying to get an image out of my head.
    ETA: https://drawception.com/game/K5aBM6B...-wears-briefs/
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2018-Jun-19 at 08:14 PM.

Mr. Clostegeek and I took our last standard cycle test before our pretest and ultimately, our black belt test. We've done hard take-downs, soft take-downs, valve locks, arm bars,and other simulated breaks without incident, until last night. After the test we did our standard group photo and then our silly photo. He and I got a bit too silly, lost our balance , and fell back pinning my elbow between his body and the wall. As he slid down the wall a bit, it added some twisting to the impact. Now I have bruising, broken skin, and some mild soft tissue damage. Really?

Closet, my good friend Ol' Weird Bob's younger brother Steve just retired from competition Ju-jitsu last year. Same age as myself.

His last competition he went against a 16 year old and defeated him in an embarrassing short amount of time. Steve had an appointment elsewhere and left the match early.

The young man Steve defeated then went on to defeat every member of Steve's team, including three different men Steve said he would never have a hope of defeating in a competition match.

Steve took that as a sign from God it was time to retire.

*I* would have taken it as a sign he should be managing that kid!

A teacher of mine from high school just sent me a message saying that my younger sister had posted something that worried her on Facebook, and did I know what it was about? I had to admit to her that I may well have that sister blocked; I haven't spoken to her voluntarily since high school. (I did take the time and effort to message my older sister about it, just in case.) I also suggested that I wouldn't have done that if my mother hadn't been pushing us to maintain a relationship for the last twenty-five years.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Had my mind blown today while reading on of my favorite Archeology sites.

Specifically that bolas were invented and in use, 1.5 *million* years ago. If I was on Jeopardy! I would have said 30,000 maybe 50,000 years ago, tops.

The other was that the screw thread was invented and used 30,000 years ago in France, in use for a few hundred years locally, and then disappeared again for over 25,000 years.

(They were carved of bone and used as stoppers in water skins.)

I saw this at the store and my brain coughed up: "It's an orchestra!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orchestra2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	23418
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    Had my mind blown today while reading on of my favorite Archeology sites.

Specifically that bolas were invented and in use, 1.5 *million* years ago. If I was on Jeopardy! I would have said 30,000 maybe 50,000 years ago, tops.
    You want to see something amusing, watch the guy trying to use an atlatl in the Werner Herzog documentary Cave of Forgotten Dreams. It's a fascinating documentary regardless, but that's definitely the funniest moment in it. It's the only movie I've ever wished I could have seen in 3D.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I've just watched a video by EmmyMadeInJapan in which she taste tests two versions of canned hamburgers made in Germany.

Emmy is highly recommended. The burgers, not so much.

This woman is a receptionist at a school. On the last day of school she belted out Etta James' "At Last". Maybe she needs a recording contract. Her voice is amazing.
    Solfe

After many years of owning our, Made in China, bedspread my wife read the washing instructions today. The interesting thing she learned is that China is further ahead in mental sciences than we thought. The label requested that the bedspread only be washed with Mind Detergent. Something many political/religious groups would like to have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    After many years of owning our, Made in China, bedspread my wife read the washing instructions today. The interesting thing she learned is that China is further ahead in mental sciences than we thought. The label requested that the bedspread only be washed with Mind Detergent. Something many political/religious groups would like to have access to.
    Followed by the use of mental floss, no doubt.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    This woman is a receptionist at a school. On the last day of school she belted out Etta James' "At Last". Maybe she needs a recording contract. Her voice is amazing.

Alternatively, she might do Summertime

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Perfect way to start the morning or end a school year.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

A friend of mine is moving her photography and modeling business across the country. She is trying to sell some dresses so she doesn't have to move them. They are prom and bridesmaid dresses used for various photo shoots.

I keep sharing them on FB to help her out. But on the first share, I asked "what size is it?". Ignoring the fact that I am a dude, most of the models are super tall and slim. The concept of altering a dress for a 5' 6", chubby man is ridiculous. My friend sent me a short video of herself crying in laughter.

Then my daughter chimed in and said, "Dad, might as well ask if it comes with wheels." That got us a phone call. My photographer friend now loves my daughter.
    Solfe

Unless you are a nudist you cannot do all your laundry at once.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Unless you are a nudist you cannot do all your laundry at once.
    Sure you can, if you donít mind everything having a pink tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Sure you can, if you don’t mind everything having a pink tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think that's what TBA meant.

We are being bombarded with TV ads for the new Mama Mia sequel movie. In which Cher plays the mother of Meryl Streep's character. Wait, I thought, aren't they about the same age? Well, yes. Cher was born in May 1946, Streep in June 1949. Three years old is pretty young to be giving birth.
    And I may be older than Streep, but at least I'm younger than Cher!

Thanks for the mental image in my head now, I will spare the rest of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We are being bombarded with TV ads for the new Mama Mia sequel movie. In which Cher plays the mother of Meryl Streep's character. Wait, I thought, aren't they about the same age? Well, yes. Cher was born in May 1946, Streep in June 1949. Three years old is pretty young to be giving birth.
    Theatrical makeup experts can do amazing things. In Birdman of Alcatraz, Burt Lancaster went from 19 to 72 while actually in his late 40s.

Heard on this week in science
    "keep the eels of cocaine"
    "mammals are going nocturnal to avoid humans."
    I was ahead of the curve on the last one.

Not exactly a new phenomenon in Hollywood, but I'm surprised Cher stood for it.

"You can't erase icing."

<fake Italian accent>
    Cher is playing Meryl Streep's mother?!? MAMA MIA!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Not exactly a new phenomenon in Hollywood, but I'm surprised Cher stood for it.
    That occurred to me as well. And they've got her in a blonde wig.