Page 2 of 305 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

<nitpick> That's Clarke. </nitpick>
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    No, that's the other guy.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I know the writer was Arthur Clarke, the guy who called our office didn't spell it that way, though.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Misogynists. All of them (I'm certain) would have dozens of wives and concubines ala the patriarchs of the Old Testament, if allowed. :-p
    Do you have any idea of how expensive that would be? I saw a formula for that some place.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Siguy View Post
    The thermostats in my house are the iconic round Honeywell-type. I love how, by adjusting the temperature, you're actually adjusting the angle of a coiled metal spring. The spring expands and contracts, and when it becomes too cold, it tilts a little glass vial of mercury with two electrical contacts in it, so that mercury closes the circuit and the heater turns on. It's a very clever little mechanism, I think.
    Back in the '70s, I replaced just about all of the mechanical light switches in the family home at the time with silent mercury switches.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    It amuses me when people mix up the "Stuff That Bugs You" thread with the "Stuff That Amuses You" thread. ; )
    Does it really amuse you, or does it bug you?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh, and this just happened...

Caller: "Hello, I would like to speak to (person in our office.)"
    Me: "Sure. Who may I ask is calling?"
    Caller: "Arthur Clark."
    Me: "I bet you hear a lot of science fiction jokes."
    Caller: "I do."
    Me: "Okay, I'll go get her."
    One of my projects just got a new scheduler, last name Tribble.

I told him I'd avoid making any Star Trek references and he thanked me.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Bugs are amusing... If developers did clean work I wouldn't have a job!

(Systems Operations Engineer)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    One of my projects just got a new scheduler, last name Tribble.

I told him I'd avoid making any Star Trek references and he thanked me.
    You said you'd avoid making any Star Trek references "after this one," right? <grin>

Speaking of names, when I was working for the city and doing some transcription, I once typed up a letter addressed to one Felipe Eduardo O'Brien. I found that name amusing.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Once worked with a fellow with the last name of Gross. After we got to know each other, he asked that since I was a known smart-aleck, why I hadn't made a crack about his name.... I had to admit that I didn't think I was smart enough to come up with something he hadn't heard yet. Got a grin :>

I worked with three people with the initials CB, DC and DD.

One day, CB jumps out her seat and walks away saying "Some people... I have to walk away from this." It was a little out of character to say the least.

About 20 minutes later, DC hops out his chair raging. He received an email that clearly offended his email etiquette sensibilities. He was so angry, he could barely explain what the issue was. He was spluttering about "Idiots".

While DC is trying to explain the problem to me, DD fires off a steady stream of cuss words and calls someone on the phone.

The problem? A new employee received a chain email. The text of the email was something to the effect of "if x number of people forward this email to everyone they know, <insert famous person here> will pay a certain child's medical bills." This newbie tried to send this email to everyone in the company address book. The companies contact list was massive, so there was a safeguard in place to prevent this from happening by accident. She came up with a new plan and spent the entire morning selecting all of Aa names then the Ab names and so on, so the software wouldn't reject the email. She did the same for the B's, the C's, the D's, and by the time DD called her, she was working on the E's.

Later, DD and DC asked me how I dealt with such when I was in their position. I pointed out that my last name ended in V, it was unlikely that anything so foolish would ever get to me.
    Solfe

The fact that Being John Malkovich would likely have been Being Steve Buscemi had they been unable to get Malkovich for the role. A lot of things become amusing if you imagine Steve Buscemi in place of someone else.

Google's Doodle today is a very generic "Hurray for Sports" image. On the opening day of the London Olympics. I suspect they're making a subtle dig at the insane copyright protection the games have been doing. If so, good for them!

The mayor of London yesterday, in an interview; holding/sloshing around a glass of water as if it were as interesting as anything he had to say. As if it were a prop.

Frankly I found the glass of water more interesting than him.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I know the writer was Arthur Clarke, the guy who called our office didn't spell it that way, though.
    Isaac Asimov wrote that the first time he heard the term "Clark Orbit" he couldn't figure out for whom that was named. When it was explained as his well-known colleague Arthur, he responded "No fair! You didn't pronounce the silent 'e' in his name!"

Graham's last name is Berry. As you can imagine, he has suffered through a lot of food-related jokes in his life. The only one which I've been around for which was ever funny was our coworker who decided that Graham needs his own breakfast cereal: Graham Berry's Berry Grahams. In and of itself, not funny. The coworker demonstrating what the trading cards would look like? Hilarious. They were all essentially the same; it was Graham giving the camera a thumbs-up and a big, cheesy grin. "Graham drawing a picture" was one hand holding a pen while the other did the thumbs-up gesture. "Graham answers a call," similar. "Graham poses for trading card picture," both thumbs up. Things got very weird on the call floor after all the highers-up in the company went home for the day.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When I got drafted, two of the Drill Instructors were Sgt Lilly and Sgt Berry. A fruit and a flower. Which they decidedly were not!

The way my dog loves to go swimming. She pulls me to a spot of shore which is not beach and walks in until she floats and then just swims back and forth, parallel to shore.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Austin is back at his grandmother's for the summer. Now it appears he can make his own airplanes.

This isn't exactly trivial, but funny none the less.

When I was in my mid-teens, my sister gave me a very average looking hamster. In my mid twenties, the hamster got sick so I took him to the vet. The vet told me he was doomed, they simply don't live that long. Or course, the hamster passed away within a few days.

I called my sister in Toronto to let her know my pet died. She was very fond of him for some reason. In response, she asked about my room mate. Perplexed, I answered "he's away with the national guard." She told me it was my room mates fault, she and my friends had been replacing the hamster for years.
    Solfe

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Solfe, that's awesome.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Agree with awesome - immortal hamster!

There was this fellow I worked with back circa 1980, a fellow computer programmer. But he was eccentric, whereas I'm not, of course.

He had these reference notes for our system clipped into a black, three-ring binder on his desk, and referred to it often. What I found odd was that there was a neatly-printed label stuck on the cover that bore one word: "Front".

He explained: "Well, the book looks the same front and back, and I got tired of picking it up and opening it and finding it was upside down, so I labeled the front."

I suspect that most of us would have done one of the following things:

(1) Industrious solution. As you're going to take the trouble to type or print a label that says "Front," go the extra distance and put the title of the bloody book on there.

(2) Lazy solution: As you only need to identify the front side, well then, stick any old thing at all (odd piece of tape, postage stamp, blank label) on there and be done with it.

(3) Real Lazy solution: Do nothing at all. (So the universe is unfair. You have a 50% chance of getting the right side up, and therefore a 75% chance of getting the wrong side, according to Murphyís Law. Live with it.)

(A really dumb solution might be to put a "Front" sticker on one side and a "Back" sticker on the other -- please get them correct! That would be dumb because you'd not only have to note the sticker, but take the time to read it as well.)

But how many of you would prepare a label that just says "Front"? I don't know, maybe he had a whole sheet of "Front" labels to cope with similar situations.

I think the described solution is a perfectly logical way of fixing a minor otherwise repeated annoyance and at the same time an indication that he was in possession of that most undervalued but indispensable virtue of a programmer, laziness..

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Austin is back at his grandmother's for the summer. Now it appears he can make his own airplanes.
    Is he in Texas?

This isn't exactly trivial, but funny none the less.

When I was in my mid-teens, my sister gave me a very average looking hamster. In my mid twenties, the hamster got sick so I took him to the vet. The vet told me he was doomed, they simply don't live that long. Or course, the hamster passed away within a few days.

I called my sister in Toronto to let her know my pet died. She was very fond of him for some reason. In response, she asked about my room mate. Perplexed, I answered "he's away with the national guard." She told me it was my room mates fault, she and my friends had been replacing the hamster for years.
    I told the story to one of my daughters. She had a very odd expression when she said "that's awful" about the hamster exchange program.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    There was this fellow I worked with back circa 1980, a fellow computer programmer. But he was eccentric ...
    Ah, Unix.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    He had these reference notes for our system clipped into a black, three-ring binder on his desk, and referred to it often. What I found odd was that there was a neatly-printed label stuck on the cover that bore one word: "Front".
    I'm afraid I'd have been sorely tempted to print out another "Front" label and stick it on the back.

I'm afraid I'd have been sorely tempted to print out another "Front" label and stick it on the back.
    I think I'd just remove his "Front" label and replace it upside-down.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    Agree with awesome - immortal hamster!
    I don't normally say "awesome" but... thirded!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Ah, Unix.
    We didn't do much Unix in those days. We were supposed to manage data bases via Cobol extensions. This guy could write in Assembler code for the IBM 360 without thinking about it too hard.

Do you have any idea of how expensive that would be? I saw a formula for that some place.
    It's easy. You just make sure that you take everybody else's money. How do you think monarchy and nobility got started?