Page 319 of 322 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,570 of 9649

Thread: Really trivial stuff that amuses you...

Groan "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Have you ever tried to do some cleaning and rearranging and saw a large storage container and go "all forgot about that". Probably more books.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Spring. I start making to-do lists again.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Spring. I start making to-do lists again.
    I do one every day. Sometimes a bit retroactively, but every day. The file is called TTD19, and is, of course, a spreadsheet, because when the only tool you have is Open Office Calc, every problem looks like a spreadsheet. In addition to the daily list (which includes upcoming events), other tabs include the Daily Done list, the Bills to Pay list, the Bills Paid list, the planning for our August vacation list, and a lot of odds and ends. You want to know what the bore diameter for an 18th century 9-pounder cannon was? There's a tab for that.
    A longer-term ToDo list might actually be a good thing.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Something I just noticed this morning:

We have two bottles of multi-vitamins in the cabinet. One is children's vitamins, the other adult vitamins. Same brand. The children's bottle has a child-proof cap, but the adult bottle does not.

I'm sure there are valid reasons for that, but the idea of preventing little ones from getting into the vitamins they're supposed to take while allowing them easy access to the ones they aren't made me laugh.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

My to-do list is constantly being sabotaged by having small children come up with new things that needed to be done yesterday. Oh, well--at least Simon has now decided that sorting laundry is fun. Since that's a job I tend to put off too much, it's going to get done more now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The day will be over in fourteen minutes where I am, and I have noticed no reference to Yuri Alekseyevich at this board.

And also, UTC here seems to be four minutes behind CQUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I do one every day. Sometimes a bit retroactively, but every day...
    Scratching another item off the list reminded me of this topic. It does feel good to do that.

I understand the "retroactively" comment. Back when I was continually swamped with work chores, I would do that too, to feel better on days when I couldn't address the items on my list because I had other fires to put out.

And, while lists would have been useful in prioritizing chores since I dissolved my business, not making them has been my little expression of defiance. (!)

Yesterday, while standing in a restaurant restroom, I noticed a sticker on the urinal detailing the urinal's status as an "efficient" fixture (how much water it uses per flush, etc). The sticker had a note saying that it was "only to be removed by the occupant."

We have a shih tzu with a bushy tail. When we go out for walks, and if the wind is blowing along our way, he frequently turns around as if to say, "hey, who's touching my tail?"

I'm not going to provide a specific link, because it's way political, but here's the thing.

If you're writing a report, and you quote someone else, either don't bother putting [sic] next to any of the original's mistakes, or make sure you catch all of them. When you mark "woudl" with a [sic], but don't mark "sadisitic", that second mistake becomes yours.

EDIT: Ha! I just noticed the quote uses "reign" when it should be "rein", and that didn't get a [sic] either.
    Last edited by SeanF; 2019-Apr-19 at 01:08 PM.

You talking about quotes made me think of that other hobby of mine: discovering marketing trends. When you're a real estate developer and you want to sell apartments, you could do this:

[Picture of appartment] A comfortable place to live, bathing in natural light

The thing is, nobody believes that. The marketing solution? Quotation marks! Turn anything into a really real testimony by putting quotation marks around it. Don't mention a name, and you're not lying.

[Picture of appartment] "A comfortable place to live, bathing in natural light"

See? Someone said that, so it must be really really true!

I was flipping through the TV channel guide, and spotted a season 11 episode of “Ice Road Truckers.” I can’t imagine how they managed to stretch that premise for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

11 episodes of Ice Road Truckers? So....global warming is a myth?

11 YEARS of that idiocy. Canada kicked them out after the first on or two, for encouraging reckless behavior.

There are eight of us in this waiting room. One has a magazine, the rest of us are staring at phones.

I brought my current sewing project to urgent care with me, and as we left, the doctor told me that she was really impressed, though she herself knits. Which I can't do, and I find needlework easier.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    11 episodes of Ice Road Truckers? So....global warming is a myth?
    This winter part of the Saint John River in New Brunswick was used as an ice road, I think to get to an island. Now they are worried about flooding.

Didn't notice the word Wasabi on the harvest crisps that got at the gas station on the way home.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Didn't notice the word Wasabi on the harvest crisps that got at the gas station on the way home.
    I'd have been looking for it.

Actually liked them but wasn't expecting it.

Our area highways have digital sign boards that post travel notices, PSAs, Amber Alerts and Silver Alerts. That last one is about an older person who has wandered off in the family car. I joke with my wife that when I see one of those I read it to make sure it isn't me.

Well, today it happened. I read the message:

SILVER ALERT
    GRAY FORD ESCAPE

Hey, I drive a gray Ford Escape! What license number do they give? Wait. What's my license number? Oh, hold on.

CALL SAN ANTONIO POLICE

Good. I'm not from San Antonio. Unless the dementia's kicked in and I just think I'm from Houston.

Interesting commute.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Our area highways have digital sign boards that post travel notices, PSAs, Amber Alerts and Silver Alerts. That last one is about an older person who has wandered off in the family car. I joke with my wife that when I see one of those I read it to make sure it isn't me.

Well, today it happened. I read the message:

SILVER ALERT
    GRAY FORD ESCAPE

Hey, I drive a gray Ford Escape! What license number do they give? Wait. What's my license number? Oh, hold on.

CALL SAN ANTONIO POLICE

Good. I'm not from San Antonio. Unless the dementia's kicked in and I just think I'm from Houston.

Interesting commute.
    When I was working for TSR, Inc. as a magazine editor in the late 1980s/early 1990s, a person in Chicago named Roger Moore was killed in a car wreck. My publisher was driving to work, heard the news, and became upset over it, thinking it was me.

When he got to work and saw me, he was flabbergasted. "I swear to God I thought you were dead!" he told me (and everyone else) in a shout.

Many years later, the actor Roger Moore died. A lady reading her cell phone in a meeting (at my place of work) interrupted it to say that "Roger Moore is dead," which set off a round of "OMG OMG OMG" until she said, wait, it's the actor guy, not OUR Roger Moore.

So, twice.
    Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2019-Apr-30 at 07:04 PM.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

You worked for TSR? Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    You worked for TSR? Nice.
    It was chaotic and wild and fun and scary and sort of like a train wreck that you want to last forever.

But it did not.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

The last two stories remind me of two of our experiences.

1) I was once in the car with my two brothers, driving a bit south so we could see a solar eclipse. At a certain point on the highway, the radio called out a traffic jam at our location, but we only saw clear road. Fifteen minutes later, our next location, same story. Fifteen minutes later, our new location, and again the radio claims there is a traffic jam there while we were just experiencing fluent traffic. That's when we started checking: are we actually doing 15 while the speedometer is indicating 120? Are we swerving a causing and continuous pileup behind us? Nope, apparently we managed to drive 1 minute ahead of the traffic jam for an hour.

2) During my first ever rally, I was driving a Lancia Delta HF integrale. Most participants were regulars and new we were absolute rookies with a rather powerful car for such conditions. We do our first ever stage, no major things happened. We do the connecting drive to the start of the second stage and wait there. It takes a while before the first car after us arrives, but we don't think anything of it as we're new to it all. When the cars behind us finally arrive, they look at us. "You are alright? Not in the hospital?" ...erm...yes, thanks for the confidence in my driving... "And the car, I don't see any damage?" ...yes, thanks again... "What happened then, did you flip it 360 and land back on your wheels or something?" ...erm, no...we just, you know...drove it like it should? Apparently, the first car behind us was the only other Lancia in the rally, also a Delta (non integrale). A regular. And he had had a massive crash. But the cars behind him hadn't been aware that two Lancia's had already started, and all assumed the rookies -we- had overcooked it massively. Very confusing moments for us as we were unaware of any crash at all, as it happened behind us. But hey, at least they were happy to see us unhurt. Or it was our car they were worried about, anyway.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2019-Apr-30 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    It was chaotic and wild and fun and scary and sort of like a train wreck that you want to last forever.

But it did not.
    if only I had been an internet billionaire. I not only would have given TSR some bank--but would have made the even better gift of going away--so you would not feel under someones thumb--as certain news owners forget.

When I was working for TSR, Inc. as a magazine editor in the late 1980s/early 1990s, a person in Chicago named Roger Moore was killed in a car wreck. My publisher was driving to work, heard the news, and became upset over it, thinking it was me.

When he got to work and saw me, he was flabbergasted. "I swear to God I thought you were dead!" he told me (and everyone else) in a shout.

Many years later, the actor Roger Moore died. A lady reading her cell phone in a meeting (at my place of work) interrupted it to say that "Roger Moore is dead," which set off a round of "OMG OMG OMG" until she said, wait, it's the actor guy, not OUR Roger Moore.

So, twice.
    This reminds me a bit of a phone call I answered one night while on overnight desk duty with the U.S. Army Band. We had a vocalist named Elizabeth Taylor, married to our principal clarinetist, who had been scheduled to give a vocal recital that night, but had become ill and was unable to sing. Her husband subbed for her with a clarinet recital. The caller asked, in apparent amazement, if it was true that Elizabeth Taylor was going to be at our studio that night. I explained that she was ill, and that her husband would be substituting with clarinet solos. The caller did not say anything further. I don't remember who the famous actress's husband was at the time.

So, twice.
    Once, back when I worked for a NASA contractor, I attended a meeting with Bill Russell, Julie Andrews and Michael Moore. Honest!