Page 84 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2817

Thread: What are you watching?

After dumping the ridiculousness of Inhumans, we picked up watching the SHIELD backlog on our DVR. I like this plot line better than The Framework, for sure, but I still think they don't shoot first enough.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Morse was an Undergrad at Oxford but became involved with a woman. He neglected his studies and they split. He flunked his exams and dropped out of his degree course.
    He joined the police at the suggestion of his father.
    It's all explicitly explained in one of the Morse books.
    At least in the Endeavour series he was in the signals corps. because he had to solve a code.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Morse would have been a terrible spy. A tendency to speak your mind is a bit of an impediment in the real world; a tendency to faint at the sight of blood a bit of an impediment in the fictional world.

Grant Hutchison

Signals Corps? He was never in the army.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Not unless it was made into a movie that I saw on TV. As I was
    writing that post, I was wondering how the idea got into my head.
    It sounds like such a classic background for a character, it must
    have been used many, many times.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    Rebus is a tv series as well as a series of books. Very good they are.
    The books as always are better than the TV versions.
    All Moderation in Purple

Signals Corps? He was never in the army.
    According to wiki article on him he was, this probably based off of the tv show.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Morse
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

The Kettering Incident.
    Twin Peaks meets X-Files meets Les Revenants, in Tasmania. Rather ropey in places, but something of a killer ending. Glad to read that there will be a Season 2.

Grant Hutchison

Ropey?

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Ropey?

CJSF
    = Poor quality, not quite right etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    = Poor quality, not quite right etc.
    Originally WWII RAF slang, of which there was rather in a lot in our house when I was growing up.

I'd add that in that usage it has a sort of weary affection to it - you wouldn't scrap a ropey aeroplane, or refuse to fly it, but you would sigh and tut a bit if you were assigned it. That contrasts with something that is "U.S.", for "unserviceable". (Many interesting conversations with United States airmen ensued in 1942.)

It's also a description of how you feel after a night on the town and too little sleep. "Bit ropey this morning, to be honest. It'll pass."

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jan-12 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    According to wiki article on him he was, this probably based off of the tv show.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Morse
    Completely wrong. Morse never was in the Army, it's never mentioned in the books and was never mentioned in the Morse TV series.
    I don't recall it being mentioned in the Endeavour episodes either.
    All Moderation in Purple

Colin Dexter served in the Royal Corps of Signals.

ETA: It does occurs to me that Morse would have been subject to National Service, if he left Oxford before 1960 - it was a classic trap for those who left Uni between 1957 and 1960, because their conscription had been deferred when they started university, and was reapplied when they left, particularly if they left without a degree. The first series of Endeavour was set in 1965, and the preceding pilot said that Morse had served as a uniformed constable for two years - so entering the police in 1963 or a little earlier. That would fit with his having been in one of the last tranches of National servicemen, serving his three years between Uni and the police.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Jan-12 at 07:37 PM.

The Inspector Morse Appreciation Society seem to think he was in "The Signals", though they doubt my National Service interpretation (I'm not sure why).
    Before joining the force, Morse spends two years (1960-1962 if we're to go by the cover of his file found on Bright's desk in S1E1) in a police training college. His resignation letter in S1E0 is dated June 17th 1965; he'd already spent 2.5 years in the force, at least some of that time at Carshall Newtown. Before police training, it was "the Signals": Royal Signal Corps, where Endeavour worked as a cipher clerk. It's not likely that he joined the army due to a call-up to National Service; it was being phased out right about then, and Endeavour was at or close to the cut-off age (21) when he left Lonsdale. Voluntary service, then; the Signals, however, "didn't take", so presumably didn't last long, two years at most, probably less (the window would be June 1958 - September? 1960).
    Grant Hutchison

I vaguely recall that "ropey" was the word used to describe the
    condition of Winston Smith's underwear after several months'
    wearing while he was being treated in the Ministry of Love.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The Inspector Morse Appreciation Society seem to think he was in "The Signals", though they doubt my National Service interpretation (I'm not sure why).Grant Hutchison
    I found an obit. For Colin Dexter and he did do nat. Service in signals, so it makes sense that he would introduce another personal element into Morse.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    I found an obit. For Colin Dexter and he did do nat. Service in signals, so it makes sense that he would introduce another personal element into Morse.
    Maybe Dexter was responsible, but given that this back story seems to have appeared during the Endeavour TV series, I'd guess that the writers for that series slipped a bit more of Dexter's own story into Morse's life, as a nod to the fact Dexter had done a lot of that already when creating the character.

My favourite easter egg of that kind in Endeavour is when a doctor tells Morse that he should recover fully from being shot, but may be left with a bit of a limp. John Thaw, who played the older Morse in the original TV series, had a limp that was quite noticeable in several scenes. (Technically, a foot drop from sciatic nerve damage - he had to flick his foot forward when he walked, to avoid catching his toe.)

I'm just a bit puzzled that the writer of the Morse chronology I referenced seems to think that Morse wouldn't do National Service because "it was being phased out" and he was "at or close to the cut-off age". The people in charge of drafting military personnel are hardly famous for saying "Oh, son, you're very close to the cut-off age and besides it'll all be phased out soon - off you trot and enjoy life."

Grant Hutchison

Agreed , I missed by a whisker so I had several colleagues who had a rather boring time and the incidence of flat feet seemed to be greater while the scheme was in place! I only knew one who made really good use, he was trained to drive Lorries so he took a Lorry mortgage on a refrigerated truck and after one year of driving oranges from Spain, he established an ever growing business.
    I read Morse novels before the tv and never got a hint of the military, just insider stuff about Oxford. And opera and classics of course. Much of which passed me by.
    Last edited by profloater; 2018-Jan-12 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Autocorrect woes
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

It's somethingthat's been added by the Endeavour lot then because the Morse books are very specific. I will dig out the one that recaps his University years.
    All Moderation in Purple

Well next year I will be watching the 2nd season of Cosmos.
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/13/cosmos-s...ssible-worlds/
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Two shows:

Nova, Black Hole Apocalypse. I like how they centered it around female physicists. I teach high school, and I want my female students to see as many female scientists shown prominently as possible.

The Incredible Mrs Maisel, which is the fictional biography of a female comedian in the 1950s.
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2018-Jan-15 at 12:45 PM.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

It turns out, I spend most of my free time in video games, not television or movies.

There are only three television shows I watch.

The news on KTVU channel 2, one of the few news outfits that doesn't come off as a blatant mouth piece. Modern Family and the Big Bang Theory round out the rest.

I've been binging on the last three seasons of BBT. I somehow allowed myself to develop a crush on the character Dr. Fowler. Quite embarrassing for a man my age, I tell you true.
    Time wasted having fun is not time wasted - Lennon
    (John, not the other one.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDon View Post
    It turns out, I spend most of my free time in video games, not television or movies.

There are only three television shows I watch.

The news on KTVU channel 2, one of the few news outfits that doesn't come off as a blatant mouth piece. Modern Family and the Big Bang Theory round out the rest.

I've been binging on the last three seasons of BBT. I somehow allowed myself to develop a crush on the character Dr. Fowler. Quite embarrassing for a man my age, I tell you true.
    There seems to like one show a night I really watch.
    Monday Lucifer
    Tuesday NCIS
    Wednesday X-files
    Thursday Big Bang
    Friday nothing
    Saturday a couple of cooking shows on PBS during the day and a mystery show in the evening
    Sunday another mystery show
    The rest of time is podcast, computer games and now back to learning to progam.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Ok for the Brits here. About the college system at Oxford. There is the University and the colleges are semi-independent organizations under it. Some seem to specialize in certain areas of studies like English or economics others are more science centered and the people attending that school stay there in the same building. Am I close to how things run. Here there is the university then departments under that, some places they have their own building some places it is just a hallway and the students stay in residences or off campus.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Jan-15 at 06:49 AM.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

From Wikipiedia

The university is made up of a variety of institutions, including 38 constituent colleges and a full range of academic departments which are organised into four divisions.[14] All the colleges are self-governing institutions within the university, each controlling its own membership and with its own internal structure and activities.[15] Being a city university, it does not have a main campus and instead its buildings and facilities are scattered throughout the city centre. Most undergraduate teaching at Oxford is organised around weekly tutorials at the colleges and halls, supported by classes, lectures and laboratory work provided by university faculties and departments.
    As a collegiate university, Oxford's structure can be confusing to those unfamiliar with it. The university is a federation, comprising over forty self-governing colleges and halls, along with a central administration headed by the Vice-Chancellor.

Academic departments are located centrally within the structure of the federation; they are not affiliated with any particular college. Departments provide facilities for teaching and research, determine the syllabi and guidelines for the teaching of students, perform research, and deliver lectures and seminars.

Colleges arrange the tutorial teaching for their undergraduates, and the members of an academic department are spread around many colleges. Though certain colleges do have subject alignments (e.g., Nuffield College as a centre for the social sciences), these are exceptions, and most colleges will have a broad mix of academics and students from a diverse range of subjects. Facilities such as libraries are provided on all these levels: by the central university (the Bodleian), by the departments (individual departmental libraries, such as the English Faculty Library), and by colleges (each of which maintains a multi-discipline library for the use of its members).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Oxford

Cambridge is ordered along the same lines.

That's why they get so many teams on the University Challenge quiz show.
    All Moderation in Purple

That's why they get so many teams on the University Challenge quiz show.
    And there was me thinking it was just typical Southron elitism.

Grant Hutchison

there is a lot of history at work, colleges at both got started by concerned wealthy men (worried that the plague would wipe out civilisation), Kings, Queens over the centuries but to avoid any confusion Jesus did not start any of them despite the name. Oh and New College is rather old of course.
    sicut vis videre esto

My wife put on Gaslight the other day. I was only familiar with it from the modern usage. What a great film!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My wife put on Gaslight the other day. I was only familiar with it from the modern usage. What a great film!
    I've only ever seen it on the stage. Good play, too.

Grant Hutchison

The maid in the movie is a very young Angela Lansbury!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    The maid in the movie is a very young Angela Lansbury!
    That was actually the principal reason my wife put it on.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.