Page 90 of 99 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,700 of 2950

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    ... We're enjoying the characters and story although I find the pacing a little sluggish at times. ...
    That is in keeping with the time period. (CSI would have solved this in the first hour, based on their instant DNA results and a computer search of asylum health spa databases.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Watching an interview of 5 star trek captains by Captain Jack of Doctor Who fame.
    https://youtu.be/wyuwNeenmwk
    I should be doing something else I think.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I wanted to like it, but it held itself just too far from reality to get me engaged with the plight of the protagonist. Barry Keoghan, the creepy kid antagonist, acted the pants of Farrell and Kidman, who seemed to have been tranquillized for their roles.

(I found the scariest part of the whole thing was the evidence of Nicole Kidman's appalling choice of plastic surgeon, but that's probably just me.)

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Season finale of Gold Rush. Kind of a guilty pleasure. I'm already looking forward to Todd Hoffman not being on it next year.
    Saw it tonight, hopefully Parker can get away from Tony next year.

My favourite movie featuring Oscar-winner Sam Rockwell and Should Have Won An Oscar Alan Rickman, Galaxy Quest!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Interviews about Hawkings death.

Weekly space hangout, while working away.a project I don't if I really have to do.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2018-Mar-15 at 12:14 AM.

Last episode of Season 5 of Endeavour. The whole season has been setting up interesting possibilities for Season 6, and I have suspicions about where CS Bright's character is heading.
    Disappointing, though, to hear Morse (the pedantic Greats scholar) mispronounce Daedalus and Suetonius in quick succession.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Last episode of Season 5 of Endeavour. The whole season has been setting up interesting possibilities for Season 6, and I have suspicions about where CS Bright's character is heading.
    Disappointing, though, to hear Morse (the pedantic Greats scholar) mispronounce Daedalus and Suetonius in quick succession.

Grant Hutchison
    I notice there are lots of 'easter Eggs' for fans of old school detective shows hidden in Endeavour. Names of people and companies or locations etc.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

No big abng on And Skeptics guide are on facebook even stevens.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    I notice there are lots of 'easter Eggs' for fans of old school detective shows hidden in Endeavour. Names of people and companies or locations etc.
    Russell Lewis is a clever man. There was even a Pratchett reference, a couple of years ago.
    It's like Sherlock, except without the ghastly smugness.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

After this cooking show, nothing really maybe an episode or two of chopped if nothing else comes up.

Speaking of "Easter eggs" and call-backs, I'm not sure if this one was intentional or not.

I was watching a made-for-television movie in which the female lead has struck up an online relationship with a well-known photographer. Things go well and he invites her to visit his home and attend a showing of his new work. He sends her a train ticket 'cause his town is too small for an airport. The train pulls into the station and the sign announces the stop as "Willoughby." Had I not known this was a romcom, I would have been very suspicious.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

We actually got a babysitter yesterday and saw Black Panther.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

The original version of The Ladykillers--funny, funny stuff.

I normally wouldn't watch and couldn't enjoy a movie with that much singing, but Pitch Perfect balances it out with lots of humor, forming an endearing whole.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Russell Lewis is a clever man. There was even a Pratchett reference, a couple of years ago.
    It's like Sherlock, except without the ghastly smugness.

Grant Hutchison
    John Thaws daughter Abigail is in the series as regular character Dorothea Frazil the editor of the Oxford Mail.

In the scene where Morse first meets her he asks if they have met before as she seems familiar, which was nice.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Like to see Kevin Whately doe an appearance in Endeavor as a bad guy or as a superior.

Watching Cutthoart kitchen one sabotage tonight was to cook lie filling on pi shaped pan and then in the oven on a pi shaped pie pan, in a few minutes WSH with Marian Call.

So Bellevue wrapped up. The ending was interesting if not fully satisfying (Anna Paquin shot her long-lost brother who was trying to kill her to get her to kill him, then she and her ex and their daughter left town before the police chief could tell her he'd loved her since she was nine) but I know the characters they created were interesting enough that I kinda wish they'd do a sequel so I can find out what happens to them next.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

First episode of Krypton

It's got great production value. The sets and VFX look like they're from a 100+ million dollar sci-fi movie. The story? Too early to tell--could be great, terrible, or somewhere in between.

Whoever did the VFX on the "hourglass cape" has a terrible grasp of time. At the rate it's visibly decaying it'd be gone in a few hours, which would be quite a short series!

Pitch Perfect 2 - it's enjoyable, but not as funny as the original. Needs more Hana Mae Lee being weird-cute.

Watching a lot of the food network and pretty much every ad break has one from a town Nova Scotia, there are other places were wild blueberries come from.

A new show on Animal Planet: The Zoo.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

10 Cloverfield Lane. Not my usual, but I'm basically prepared to try anything John Goodman was prepared to try, so that worked out fine.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

He is back on Roseanne, I found the forst two episodes trying to cram 20 years of stuff in too fast.

Them!

One of the first (the other was The War of the Worlds) 50s sci-fi movies I watched with my dad, who passed last week. He would always call out "True story!" when "The End" faded in...

Oddly, I had a false memory of there actually being a scene of the flying ants, but upon watching the movie tonight, no such scene exists, just a character describing seeing the ants in the air. My brain made a very plausible false memory that's persisted for years (I haven't watched the whole film in over 15 years, I bet).

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

10 Cloverfield Lane.
    I really enjoyed this movie. Goodman was (as expected) very good. (The theatrical release used an alternate ending. The original was not so optimistic.)

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Them!
    One of my favorites. How could you not like a movie about giant ants that featured Kris Kringle, Harry Truman, Matt Dillon, and Davy Crocket?
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I really enjoyed this movie. Goodman was (as expected) very good. (The theatrical release used an alternate ending. The original was not so optimistic.)
    Goodman does benevolent menace like no-one else, in my opinion.
    The alternative ending is sitting in the bluray extras, I think, but I haven't got around to looking at it yet. It was always going to be difficult to come up with a satisfactory ending. The ending I saw was probably good cinema, but seemed out of character. Or, perhaps, it produced a character arc I found played more to "Wouldn't it be cool?" than "What would the character we've built so far do under these circumstances?"

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

One of my favorites. How could you not like a movie about giant ants that featured Kris Kringle, Harry Truman, Matt Dillon, and Davy Crocket?
    And Spock. Don't forget Spock.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

And he became Davy Crockett because Walt Disney was so impressed with him in it, too! You also forgot Mr. Spock, who has a brief role as an army sergeant. The cast is really packed, but when I watched it, what struck me is that one of the kids is played by a guy named Richard Bellis. The name doesn't mean anything to most people, but I went to Bellis Music Camp for six years in my youth. And, indeed, it is that Richard Bellis, who missed a year of camp when I was a kid because he was off writing the music for the miniseries version of Stephen King's IT. I was so disappointed when I watched Her and he had nothing to do with it; pronoun movies just aren't the same without him.

"You can't erase icing."