Page 86 of 93 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 2790

Thread: What are you watching?

Such a great series.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just putting Wrath of Khan in the dvd player after watching some star trek clips on youtube along with some videos somebody I knew in my schooldays.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Episode 1 of the 3rd Series of "Shetland". This is a BBC Scotland crime series set on, surprisingly enough, the Shetland Isles. It is suitably atmospheric with grey skies and deep twilight scenes etc. The chief protagonist is Detective Inspector Jimmy Perez whose backstory is that he was born on Fair Isle (Population around 50) and that his last name is due to one his ancestors being a survivor from a wrecked ship of the Spanish Armada.

All round a good murder/suspense series with very different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Whose?
    Whose would you prefer? I'd prefer not Mr Welles' heaving bosom, but I'm not sure what your preference would be.

(Note: I really did see the movie, but forgot it was Citizen Kane not Citizen Caine)

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Saw an eppisode of the US version of Masterchef?

What the ...?

It's terrible, a completely different show to the BBC program.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Zulu Dawn.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Zulu Dawn.
    Ah, I liked Zulu Dawn. (There was me and about three other people, as I recall.)
    We have the French DVD, L'Ultime Attaque, because we couldn't actually find it in an English release. But I see there's a decent Blu-ray version available now. Hmmm.

Grant Hutchison

Doc Martin, Series 8. We've been waiting so long for it! I especially liked the first episode in which everything went wrong, as usual; but none of it was the Doc's fault, very much NOT as usual.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ah, I liked Zulu Dawn. (There was me and about three other people, as I recall.)
    We have the French DVD, L'Ultime Attaque, because we couldn't actually find it in an English release. But I see there's a decent Blu-ray version available now. Hmmm.
    Yeah, I'm not one of those three, I'm afraid. On the other hand, it is the last movie in the library catalog, and I felt obligated to watch it.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Doc Martin, Series 8. We've been waiting so long for it! I especially liked the first episode in which everything went wrong, as usual; but none of it was the Doc's fault, very much NOT as usual.
    Dang it. I keep missing it in the on-screen guide or forgetting to search for it, here!!

[Edit] It's not on the local PBS schedule at all!! Oh noes! Looks like I'll have to wait...

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2018-Feb-08 at 06:29 PM.
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Yeah, I'm not one of those three, I'm afraid.
    Maybe you need to be there. We watched it shortly after we'd visited isandhlwana, having spent some time walking the battlefield with a very enthusiast guide who acted out pretty much every part of the battle, from both a Zulu and British perspective. So we spent a lot of Zulu Dawn being reminded of an experience we'd found interesting and enjoyable.
    For similar reasons we're also very keen on Rapa Nui, which by almost all reasonable measures is a very poor film indeed.

On the other hand, it is the last movie in the library catalog, and I felt obligated to watch it.
    Back to the beginning again?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Dang it. I keep missing it in the on-screen guide or forgetting to search for it, here!!

[Edit] It's not on the local PBS schedule at all!! Oh noes! Looks like I'll have to wait...

CJSF
    We got fed up waiting for PBS and bought Blu-Rays from Amazon. They don't have any annoying pledge breaks either.

The Olympics have started, opening ceremony tomorrow, time for the 4 year cycle for me to watch hockey.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Maybe you need to be there. We watched it shortly after we'd visited isandhlwana, having spent some time walking the battlefield with a very enthusiast guide who acted out pretty much every part of the battle, from both a Zulu and British perspective. So we spent a lot of Zulu Dawn being reminded of an experience we'd found interesting and enjoyable.
    For similar reasons we're also very keen on Rapa Nui, which by almost all reasonable measures is a very poor film indeed.
    I have a few movies I like for similar reasons. I sympathize.

Back to the beginning again?
    Oh, dear Gods, no. For one thing, if the software the catalog is on now had been in place eleven years ago, I would never have started the project in the first place. It won't sort your items if you have more than 500 returns, and after going through the catalog manually a few times, I'm still not sure what order it does put them in. I can tell you a long list of things it isn't, though. It isn't sorted alphabetically, chronologically by copyright, chronologically by acquisition date, alphabetically by author (a complicated proposition with movies anyway), by call number, by publisher, or by relevance.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    The Olympics have started, opening ceremony tomorrow, time for the 4 year cycle for me to watch hockey.
    NBC decided Americans should not be able to see the opening live.

Watching the opening ceremony now on NBC after watching curling on CBC, seems like the later is 24 hours of Olympics.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Just got back from watching The Shape of Water. Sort of a cross between La La Land and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Enjoyable, and (mostly) quite different.

Tonight, Casablanca on WNET

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

In was just watching the 1953 Julius Caesar on TCM. Great cast with James Mason, Deborah Kerr, Marlon Brando, and especially John Gielgud as Cassius. George MacReady is unforgettable in a very brief role at the start. If you remember the 1960s, Louis Calhern's very arrogant Caesar reminds one of Lyndon B. Johnson!

Supposedly, though he could afford Technicolor, Joseph L. Mankiewicz shot it in black-and-white deliberately so as to remind viewers of the dictators they'd recently seen in World War II news footage.

Edited to add: After the film, TCM host Ben Mankiewicz (who happens to be the grandson or nephew of the director!) said that the man chose b-&-w just to keep the film from becoming too much of a spectacle and less of an intimate story. I still prefer the other explanation.
    Last edited by DonM435; 2018-Feb-11 at 10:36 PM.

Having completed Enterprise last week, I've been binging on Star Trek (The Original Series) while it's too rainy to paint the house this weekend.

Admit to skipping episodes I remember too well or which sound like ones that'd annoy me too much.

Will be on to Deep Space 9 soon ...
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I just finished (Eric Idle's) The Entire Universe, which I've had on the DVR for a while.

I think it might have "scored" better with British viewers, given the number of inside jokes and references (to British entertainment and culture). I was glad to see Noah Fielding, whom I only really know from The IT Crowd and of course Warwick Davis. The scattered Monty Python references were smile-inducing, if predictable.

As for the show itself. Meh. It was sufficiently entertaining, despite some scientific inaccuracies and non sequiturs, to watch all of it, but consider me underwhelmed.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Phil Mickelson at the ATT Pebble Beach Pro-AM . Now I know that Spring will be here soon

Noel Fielding.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Skipped quite quickly through the Star Trek animated series. Not much I felt I "had" to watch.

Got half way through the DS9 first episode before I had to stop and get some sleep. Not enjoying the religious relic part of the story line, but otherwise it's "well put together".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Noel Fielding.
    I've been forced to use my phone while posting a lot lately, and I didn't catch that autocorrect. I'll fix it, if the mods don't mind.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Finished it last night. It felt a bit unfinished, actually. All previous seasons have ended with a really over-the-top episode, this just felt like a normal somewhat over-the-top one. My wife said "That was it?"
    Definitely a kinder, gentler Doc in this series.

Definitely a kinder, gentler Doc in this series.
    I've only seen a very few episodes of 'Doc Martin'. Maybe three
    or four, about two years ago. Is Doc the same actor throughout?
    I recall you saying something about the origin of the series with
    a different actor. What I saw made me really want a kinder,
    gentler Doc. He deserved to be. I thought the actor did, too.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    I've only seen a very few episodes of 'Doc Martin'. Maybe three
    or four, about two years ago. Is Doc the same actor throughout?
    I recall you saying something about the origin of the series with
    a different actor. What I saw made me really want a kinder,
    gentler Doc. He deserved to be. I thought the actor did, too.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    It's always been the same actor, but not quite the same character. The character originated with the rather poor theatrical movie Saving Grace, in which he played a minor part. They then did a couple of TV prequel movies explaining how he came to be in the village. In all three of those he had a different last name and medical specialty but was played by the same actor, Martin Clunes. The company that was making those went bust, so Clunes and his wife started their own and created the current series.
    The annoying Doc character is entirely Clunes' creation. Because he's funnier that way. Oh, and in real life he's major dog lover.

For about half an hour, the first episode of the latest season of The X-Files.
    Is it just me, or has Chris Carter lost even the rudimentary command of the English language he once had? The script was truly execrable.

Grant Hutchison

Canadian vs Americans hockey game, did it really start 2 and half hours ago.
    Don't Panic THGTTG