Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 2951

Thread: What are you watching?

We are continuing through our set of Doctor Who DVDs. I realized the Tennant specials are missing from what we bought, so I have to find that disc at some point. That means we are well into Matt Smith's Doctor now. We just finished "Flesh and Stone"... and I have to say, Amy Pond frankly sexually harasses and assaults the Doctor at the end of that episode. The cut scene you can play at the end is even worse. I sort of remember it, but I think the world and myself (for sure) were in a very different time and place (haha) in 2010!

Comparing Tennant's and Smith's Doctors now - and through the lens of Capaldi and Whittaker - I have to say I prefer Tennant right now (I previously liked Smith's better). I suppose that will change over time.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Killing Eve. Well, just stopped watching after the fifth episode, actually. The Boon Companion will continue her avid viewing while I find tasks in other rooms.
    I don't find psychopathic murderers particularly funny, even when they pout and flounce, wear amusing clothes and say off-beat things to the people they are about to kill and mutilate. As my elder brother would say, "I just have a problem with the whole 'comedy' premise, here."

Grant Hutchison
    Nah...Killing Eve is fantastic. I would also say, very occasionally you realise you are seeing a real talent. Yes I suppose it is a juicy role but it's an absolutely storming performance by Jodie Comer.

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    Nah...Killing Eve is fantastic. I would also say, very occasionally you realise you are seeing a real talent. Yes I suppose it is a juicy role but it's an absolutely storming performance by Jodie Comer.
    No argument that Comer is an excellent actor for the role. Which is part of my problem. Comer plays a deeply unpleasant and deranged person, who cheerily murders and mutilates people. The point at which I decided I couldn't bear to watch another moment was when Frank (played by Darren Boyd) was weeping, shaking and pleading for his life, while Villanelle (Comer) smiled, made jokes and mocked him. I don't find stuff like that remotely entertaining - I'm disturbed in part because it is being offered as entertainment and is well acted. I actually experienced an unpleasant moment of shock and sadness when I read that the series had been renewed for another season. I can't remember ever experiencing anything like that before - it put me on edge for the rest of the day.

I acknowledge I seem to be in a tiny minority (I'm used to that, to be honest), but henceforth I'm not going to be in the room while my wife watches it.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

It's shows like that (or with other gratuitously explicit content) that give me pause when people say that such things have no impact on individuals or society. I'm certainly not for broadly applied censorship, but with a medium as powerful and visual imagery, I find it hard to believe that repeated exposure to these things can't NOT have an impact on how some people process information and make decisions - on what is tolerable, what is acceptable, what is permissible. Like you, Grant, I generally eschew such things.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I think what bothered me particularly about Killing Eve is that it seems not to be some sort of niche entertainment, but to command a broad popularity. I found out it had been renewed for a second season from a review that described it as "the future of television". I'm also uneasy that it has been portrayed by some reviewers as "upturning sexist cliches". Because the psycho bisexual female murderer is so-o-o not a sexist cliche.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    It's shows like that (or with other gratuitously explicit content) that give me pause when people say that such things have no impact on individuals or society. I'm certainly not for broadly applied censorship, but with a medium as powerful and visual imagery, I find it hard to believe that repeated exposure to these things can't NOT have an impact on how some people process information and make decisions - on what is tolerable, what is acceptable, what is permissible. Like you, Grant, I generally eschew such things.

CJSF
    There's nothing new about it. It's not as sadistic as Reservoir Dogs or any number of movies. She is not as gruesome as Hannibal Lector.

I think what might spoil it is when we find out why she is like this. No doubt she was badly abused etc. I don't want excuses, I want to know she is a born psychopath.

The humour actually makes it less real. You know it is not to be taken seriously, bit like a zombie movie.

I also think Hollywood will come knocking for Jodie after this.

The humour actually makes it less real.
    But the weeping and pleading makes it more real. It's the juxtaposition I find unpleasant - "Tonight, for your viewing pleasure, a terrified man is light-heartedly mocked."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    But the weeping and pleading makes it more real. It's the juxtaposition I find unpleasant - "Tonight, for your viewing pleasure, a terrified man is light-heartedly mocked."

Grant Hutchison
    What about the Hostel movies I guess you aren't a fan. I didn't like those TBH.

Realistically, that Frank was pathetic. Yes she had a little knife but in the real world she wouldn't have succeeded in killing him. Look how easily she got the chair out of his grip. In reality that stand-off could've held for as long as it took for help to arrive. I think we all know this.

I've just read that Killing Eve is the only TV series in a decade that has increased its viewing figures as it has gone along.
    Last edited by kzb; 2018-Oct-26 at 11:37 AM.

What about the Hostel movies I guess you aren't a fan. I didn't like those TBH.
    Nasty is nasty. Playing it for laughs doesn't defuse the nastiness for me - it invites me to be complicit in the nastiness.

Realistically, that Frank was pathetic. Yes she had a little knife but in the real world she wouldn't have succeeded in killing him. Look how easily she got the chair out of his grip. In reality that stand-off could've held for as long as it took for help to arrive. I think we all know this.
    Yeah, sure, he was so pathetic he pretty much deserved to die.
    The fact that he was pathetic and victimized is part of the problem with that scene, as far as I'm concerned, not an excuse for it. Frank was treated horribly by some of the other characters too - remember them snickering away in the pub because (ho ho ho) his wife had died four years ago and he hadn't been right since? There's a deeply unpleasant vibe running through the whole series.

I've just read that Killing Eve is the only TV series in a decade that has increased its viewing figures as it has gone along.
    Yeah. But it's not the messiah, it's just a very naughty boy.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Oct-26 at 08:07 PM. Reason: extraneous -ing
    Blog

Note:

I read the series differently. Yes, there are elements of black comedy, but it didn't strike me that all of it was meant to be funny, quite the contrary. Her playful enjoyment of murdering people is, IMO, supposed to show how depraved she is. It's supposed to be disturbing.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    I read the series differently. Yes, there are elements of black comedy, but it didn't strike me that all of it was meant to be funny, quite the contrary. Her playful enjoyment of murdering people is, IMO, supposed to show how depraved she is. It's supposed to be disturbing.
    I'm sure it is. And it disturbs the hell out of me. Villanelle is a truly ghastly person, who does truly ghastly things. She's not remotely funny or engaging, and I have much more enjoyable things to do on a Saturday night than watching her simper and joke her way through another murder embedded in a surrealist plot.
    But, according to comments from the writer and actor, we're also supposed to like her and be entertained by her. And reviewers are writing piece with titles like "Why we're all rooting for Villanelle", and using phrases like "viewers are completely captivated by Villanelle". People seem to be responding to it as if Villanelle is not a horrible person.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

I wish they'd renew Press, also recently from the BBC. Ben Chaplin should receive some kind of award in the "best portrayal of a charismatic sleazebag" category. Absolutely hypnotic on screen.
    Admittedly set in a sort of parallel universe, in which the internet and bloggers have had only negligible impact on print media and investigative journalism. But featuring interesting and topical stories, and rounded characters who are more than just a walking collection of mannerisms and tropes.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

A James Bond 10 movie marathon, 1 James Bond movie, would you believe Get Smart.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I watched the extended version of Lord Of The Rings this week. It was 12 hours long but it was really enjoyable.

I am now watching Dare Devil, Season 3 on Netflix..
    Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1981 View Post
    I watched the extended version of Lord Of The Rings this week. It was 12 hours long but it was really enjoyable.
    Agamemnon. How is that even possible? I couldn't get through half of one film, in the theatrical release version, without losing consciousness.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Personally, I don't even like the books, but I know that isn't a popular opinion.

I've been watching Trollhunters through on Netflix. I've caught episodes here and there as Graham watched it, but I also missed a lot, so this is the first time I've fully followed the plot. It's really worth the watch. Also, it amuses me how much Irene likes it, given that one of my friends has jokingly assigned her the personality of a film snob. Meaning that my not-yet-two-year-old film snob daughter is deeply into a show executive produced and created by Guillermo del Toro!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Europa Report - OKish bleak science fiction thriller. Medical highlight for me was actress Karolina Wydra's left eye. She has a congenital defect in her iris, called coloboma iridis, which distorts both the pupil and the junction between conjunctiva and cornea. A whole segment of the movie involves the viewpoint of a helmet-cam inside her spacesuit, and we spend a lot of time gazing directly into this unusual eye at close range, as her situation becomes more fraught and panicky. I can't help but feel the director chose the viewpoint deliberately, emphasizing an unsettling detail in a strikingly beautiful face - both as a subliminal source of unease, and as a visual metaphor for the story arc of the movie.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

Season 2 of Dream Corp LLC, a very funny and trippy science fiction comedy series.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

A couple of documentaries about the mars rovers on Nat. Geo.

Saturn V launches. All of them, from multiple angles, in chronological order, courtesy of Spacecraft Films. Curiously hypnotic.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

A Finnish detective series on Netflix, Bordertown. Thank goodness for subtitles. Finnish is as incomprehensible, at least to me, as the Voynich Manuscript.

Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Watching Canada's worst driver, I haven't watched it in a while. These people scare me. When it first started I didn't have a drivers licence, now for a couple weeks a year I do delivers and being on the same roads of some these is terrifying. From tonight's episode.
    Instructor: "Those dotted lines mean you can pass."
    Driver:"I did not know that."
    Instructor:"Really."
    Driver:"I thought the solid lines meant you could pass."

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    A Finnish detective series on Netflix, Bordertown. Thank goodness for subtitles. Finnish is as incomprehensible, at least to me, as the Voynich Manuscript.
    I have the same problem. Even written down it is no more understandable to me - there seem to be an incredible number of 'K"'s in the language. (Unlike languages like French, Spanish etc where you can usually get a basic understanding.) But the embarrassing thing about being in Finland is that their English is usually impeccable. We had a couple of 10 year old kids talk to us and their English was better than many kids I have heard here in the local shops. And, as a result of 500 years of Swedish rule, they often are able to speak Swedish as well. On the ferry we took the announcements were in Finnish, Swedish and English. Very unlike the good old monoglot Australia of old.

Today was the monthly "Classics of the Silver Screen" showing and the movie was "Hit the Deck" - 1955. It is basically a well produced "B" movie. The advantage it has is that many of the cast while not particularly great actors, could sing and/or dance very well. The cast included Tony Martin, Jane Powell, Vic Damone, Debbie Reynolds & Ann Miller. The only cast member who was dubbed was Russ Tamblyn, who at least was an excellent gymnastic dancer.

A fine movie to enjoy with your mind in neutral.

NASA's description of Insight, leading up to its landing:
    https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public
    Selden

Hidden Figures.

Departures, an off-beat Canadian travel show. Two (actually three, but you seldom see the camera guy) young men going around the world. My wife stumbled upon a marathon of it on a now-defunct cable network and suggested we buy the disks.

Despite this being probably our third time through, we've just seen some scenes that were new to us, because previously we were having problems with one or two of the disks, freezing up etc. Now they played just fine. Perhaps we didn't previously watch from this particular player.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The Good Cop, with Josh Groban and Tony Danza. Imagine, a TV-PG show, on a streaming service! And it's good! So many Netflix shows and movies seem to be unnecessarily TV-MA.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

The Phantom Thread.

I lost the thread about half-way through...

Finished watching "The Haunting of Hill House". The series, over all, was very good, but the last episode kind of left me cold. It wasn't "last-episode-of-Battlestar-Galactica" bad, by any means, but it didn't live up to the previous episodes.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn