Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 2782

Thread: What are you watching?

Killing Eve - good show, and surprisingly funny. BBC America is really promoting the crap out of it.

The X-Files - I was too young to watch it during its original run, though I did see the movie in '99. IMO, the best episodes don't involve aliens. Pyrokinetic assassins, sewer mutants, killer fungi, and other weirdness are more interesting. Plus the whole vast government/alien conspiracy doesn't hold up against scrutiny--if they're so competent at remaining unknown, why don't they just kill Mulder and make it seem like a perfectly plausible accident? They kill lots of other people.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    This evening on PBS there is going a show Bill Nye Science Guy anyone heard of this fellow.
    Really good doc about Bill Nye and why he made some of the decisions he has made.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    the BBC radio 4 just ran an updated version of the Kraken Wakes, John Wyndham, which I read when it came out years ago and they did a nice job. They used it to punch home a global warming message because the sea creatures conspire to accelerate the ice melting so the land floods quickly and the world order is disrupted into chaos. Having either aliens or ancient creatures, it's implied the latter in this story, in the deep oceans is more satisfactory for me on the credibility scale. Wyndham was good at credible extensions, like the Triffids indeed, that just pushed the boundaries a little to see what happens.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

tonight rogue one.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Watching various comedy videos on youtube.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Just home from Avengers Infinity War.

Good movie, maybe not great, as largely one long fight scene. But very well done.

Ending surprised.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    ... Infinity War.

... largely one long fight scene ...
    Does what it says in the title, then.

Grant Hutchison

Since I have a day I will be indoors for most of it I might dig out form the Earth to the Moon.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Season 3 of The Expanse.

I still maintain that I am not a a violent or malicious man. And I know - there are plots unfolding, etc. But man, Naomi, meet airlock. Sorrynotsorry.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Had a binge of all the weekends Motorbiking on catch up

Moto GP including the Moto2 and Moto3 races.

World Superbikes, both races and the support races

British Superbikes, both races but unfortunately no support races.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Season 3 of The Expanse.

I still maintain that I am not a a violent or malicious man. And I know - there are plots unfolding, etc. But man, Naomi, meet airlock. Sorrynotsorry.

CJSF
    That's not how it happened in the book and it kind of annoys me.

Right now just some filler of house hunters and shipping wars, waiting for masterchef and Agents of Shield. May watch Form the Earth to the moon some other time because it measn sitting this chair for way to long.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Today my wife and I went to one of the monthly "Classics of the Silver Screen" shows. The movie this week was "Three Coins in the Fountain" 1954 - complete with the Frank Sinatra version of the theme song. It is a slight, but enjoyable, romantic comedy. The highlight of the film was actually the gorgeous CinemaScope colour cinematography of 1950's Rome & Venice - with no crowds of tourists.

Along with the film there was a Newsreel of the Dunkirk evacuation, a late 1960's British Pathé colour short feature on Rome & Venice - obviously to tie in with the movie. And something I haven't seen for years, a Heckle & Jeckle Cartoon.

Once again my wife and I felt like youngsters, at 64, among the audience.

Edit: I forgot to add that the Seniors price has gone up this year from A$8 to A$9 (US$6).
    Last edited by ozduck; 2018-Apr-30 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Today my wife and I went to one of the monthly "Classics of the Silver Screen" shows. The movie this week was "Three Coins in the Fountain" 1954 - complete with the Frank Sinatra version of the theme song. It is a slight, but enjoyable, romantic comedy. The highlight of the film was actually the gorgeous CinemaScope colour cinematography of 1950's Rome & Venice - with no crowds of tourists.

Along with the film there was a Newsreel of the Dunkirk evacuation, a late 1960's British Pathé colour short feature on Rome & Venice - obviously to tie in with the movie. And something I haven't seen for years, a Heckle & Jeckle Cartoon.

Once again my wife and I felt like youngsters, at 64, among the audience.

Edit: I forgot to add that the Seniors price has gone up this year from A$8 to A$9 (US$6).
    You have given me a Nostalgia kick, I remember that film from the Saturday morning slot at my local cinema which included, amazing to think, community singing of songs like "I belong to Glasgow". Extraordinary how media has moved on. There is a TV station, available on various platforms called "Talking Pictures TV" it collects old movies and runs them 24 hours. It is run by a man and his daughter from a suburban house but I think by searching you could find it most places with satellite or cable TV.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    You have given me a Nostalgia kick, I remember that film from the Saturday morning slot at my local cinema which included, amazing to think, community singing of songs like "I belong to Glasgow". Extraordinary how media has moved on. There is a TV station, available on various platforms called "Talking Pictures TV" it collects old movies and runs them 24 hours. It is run by a man and his daughter from a suburban house but I think by searching you could find it most places with satellite or cable TV.
    No community singing I am afraid - but there is organ music before the show and at intermission. "Talking Pictures TV" sounds interesting and the daily schedule looks good. However, I can't get it and even the trailers are geographically blocked for me.

Get Carter, the original from 1971. It's even grimmer than usual Up North. Michael Caine is hypnotically threatening, as is John Osbourne.

Grant Hutchison

Been watching a lot of comedians in cars getting coffee.

Not super funny, nor super informative, nor super anything. But I keep watching. Something is interesting about it.

Into season 4 of Voyager. I've figured out why the crew has to ration replicator food. Voyager clearly has a giant replicator in the shuttle bay, to replicate shuttles.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    No community singing I am afraid - but there is organ music before the show and at intermission. "Talking Pictures TV" sounds interesting and the daily schedule looks good. However, I can't get it and even the trailers are geographically blocked for me.
    Last night I watched "Notorious" 1946, Hitchcock, Ingrid Bergman etc. , I never saw it before, but such a nice old fashioned thriller, old fashioned beautiful heroine, those lovely cars, wide lapel suits, good guys and bad guys. Sadly there are adverts on Talking Pictures but they provide tea breaks.
    sicut vis videre esto

Maybe it's not helping that I'm seeing some of these out of order, but I just finished Thor: Ragnarok and found it all a bit meh.

The whole escape from Jeff Goldblum bit felt like a sub plot that went on too long, but there didn't seem much else to it all, so by the time of the climactic battles I didn't much care any more.

The Intern.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Last night I watched "Notorious" 1946, Hitchcock, Ingrid Bergman etc. , I never saw it before, but such a nice old fashioned thriller, old fashioned beautiful heroine, those lovely cars, wide lapel suits, good guys and bad guys. Sadly there are adverts on Talking Pictures but they provide tea breaks.
    I know just what you mean. When I was involuntarily retired for over a year in 2015-16, I visited our public library regularly, and sought out classic films ("notorious" ones as it were) that I'd never gotten around to seeing. Lots of Hitchcock and Orson Welles, Marx Brothers, silents by Charlie Chaplin or with Lon Chaney, and foreign films from all over. I was rarely disappointed. Alas, they don't make 'em like that any more!

Wonder Woman just finished. Enjoyed it a lot. Drew me in.

For me, DC beat Marvel this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I know just what you mean. When I was involuntarily retired for over a year in 2015-16, I visited our public library regularly, and sought out classic films ("notorious" ones as it were) that I'd never gotten around to seeing. Lots of Hitchcock and Orson Welles, Marx Brothers, silents by Charlie Chaplin or with Lon Chaney, and foreign films from all over. I was rarely disappointed. Alas, they don't make 'em like that any more!
    They also don't make 'em like The Mexican Spitfire's Baby. They are still making some great movies these days, and in those days, they made some terrible ones.

That said, I was feeling stressed and out-of-sorts last night and rewatched Psycho.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Maybe it's not helping that I'm seeing some of these out of order, but I just finished Thor: Ragnarok and found it all a bit meh.

The whole escape from Jeff Goldblum bit felt like a sub plot that went on too long, but there didn't seem much else to it all, so by the time of the climactic battles I didn't much care any more.
    I like it, overall, but I went in knowing a bit about what was going on. You can tell it was two comic book story lines welded together a bit inexpertly. I feel like the Escape from Jeff Goldblum (OMG I love that) portion could have been edited down/not filmed by 30 minutes and made a much better film.

Man, Asgard is SMALL. All that trouble from a bunch of beings that fit in a large freighter?

CJSF
    P.S.
    Using Immigrant Song TWICE was a bit of a mistake. It would have had much more impact if near the end only.
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I like it, overall, but I went in knowing a bit about what was going on. You can tell it was two comic book story lines welded together a bit inexpertly. I feel like the Escape from Jeff Goldblum (OMG I love that) portion could have been edited down/not filmed by 30 minutes and made a much better film.

Man, Asgard is SMALL. All that trouble from a bunch of beings that fit in a large freighter?

CJSF
    P.S.
    Using Immigrant Song TWICE was a bit of a mistake. It would have had much more impact if near the end only.
    Ah, thanks for that. The two comic thing adds a lot of context. For me the Jeff Goldblum baddie just didn't seem on par with the others, which helped make it feel like a long sub plot. Knowing it was originally a complete story makes it make more sense.

Though I do wonder why that neck slave shock device isn't used more often. Would it have worked on Thor's sister, given it worked on Thor?

And why didn't the Asgardian army have m16's instead of swords, given how effective we see they are?

Ready Player One

Overall it's enjoyable; this coming from someone who plays very little video games.

Taskmaster - Comedy Central show where comedians are given goofy tasks to complete.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Would it have worked on Thor's sister, given it worked on Thor...
    In these movie universes, the strength and "god level" of the gods or other superbeings seem to shift with the needs of the plot.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

I think I just saw the Grand Nagus in Young Sheldon.

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Ready Player One

Overall it's enjoyable; this coming from someone who plays very little video games.

Taskmaster - Comedy Central show where comedians are given goofy tasks to complete.
    Is that the UK 'Taskmaster' with Greg Davies setting the tasks?
    All Moderation in Purple

In these movie universes, the strength and "god level" of the gods or other superbeings seem to shift with the needs of the plot.

CJSF
    Indeed, the more of them in the gang the less power they have.
    All Moderation in Purple