Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2162

Thread: What are you watching?

Watching Iron Fist also. Daredevil had brutality and Luke Cage has the music. Iron Fist needs something to help it stand out maybe dark humor or tormented humor but it is a little too vanilla and curly hair favored as it stands(for me) right now.
    Just because you're a genius doesn't make you a smart guy

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I wrote most of that off as being about how much control the Rand corp has. After all, they've also been able to install/access cameras, and arrange an attempted-beating-to-death. The rules/laws are not being followed. (I'll be more annoyed if there's no follow-up/consequence from the hospital, e.g. investigation from the Dr who was working with Danny.)
    But it's not just Danny, remember. If you can trust his "guide," who may of course be an unreliable narrator, none of the people are really in need of hospitalization. One of the others has been in there for fifteen years.

I'll admit to not having thought much about that. You've made me think.
    That's the goal!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Reached the in-season hiatus for SHIELD - new eps coming in April - so we're caught up. The LMD story line has firmly planted the series in fantasy, as far as I am concerned (yes, there's always been that element, but now it's just silly). And I find out that GRANT FLIPPING WARD is back, at least while they deal with this Second Life Framework Alternate History World concept. The only reason I see me continuing to watch this show is because my wife may do so, and we have one TV in the house.

I may give The OA another chance. The 10-minute in and we're at a gratuitous, loveless sex scene, made me press STOP, but someone who's watched it beyond that says it's not much of an issue beyond that. We'll see.

Meanwhile, on YouTube, we've been having fun keeping up with Erin Elyse and Frog Leap Studios.

CJSF
    "I found my mind on the ground below. I was looking down, it was looking back.
    I was in the sky, all dressed in black.
    See the constellation ride across the sky. No cigar, no lady on his arm.
    Just a guy made of dots and lines."
    -They Might Be Giants, "See The Constellation"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I had written a reply about why it would be a waste of time writing such a letter - basically it is a newspaper on a determined dive downmarket & owned by a TV Mogul (not Murdoch) who has introduced uncredited cross-promotions of his other interests and crass articles etc etc. On a second reading I noticed that the article in question was actually not produced locally but taken from the LA Daily News.

But, on consideration, I have written a "letter" saying that readers of the article should have been made aware of the furore about the film - not necessarily to stop them attending but at least make them "informed consumers". I will let the forum know if it is published.
    Well, two editions of the paper have been run and my letter has not appeared. I think they read it and then chucked it over their shoulder with a "Who cares. We didn't write the article anyway" - or else my letter was so badly written that it deserved not to be run.

However, now some good news about journalism. On Saturday the "national" paper The Australian, which is a Murdoch paper, ran a generally positive review on The Eagle Huntress. It was by one of their own film critics and crucially included a succinct but clear paragraph about the distortions in the film. Like many other people the critic was unable to understand the need to embellish a story that was already compelling.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2017-Mar-20 at 02:27 AM.

Well, two editions of the paper have been run and my letter has not appeared. I think they read it and then chucked it over their shoulder with a "Who cares. We didn't write the article anyway" ...
    That one.

... Like many other people the critic was unable to understand the need to embellish a story that was already compelling.
    I'm surprised he doesn't get it.

Being successful in entertainment takes a major ego. That often leads to a mindset of no matter how well someone ales did it, I can do it better. This is why there are so many retelling, reboots or reimaginings of stories, movies, TV shows, songs, etc. And why so few are truly good on their own merits.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That one.

I'm surprised he doesn't get it.

Being successful in entertainment takes a major ego. That often leads to a mindset of no matter how well someone ales did it, I can do it better. This is why there are so many retelling, reboots or reimaginings of stories, movies, TV shows, songs, etc. And why so few are truly good on their own merits.
    I would prefer that it wasn't my bad writing skills that caused then to reject my letter - so I will tell myself that it wasn't and no-one will be able to prove otherwise.

I am not completely in accord with your views about the reason for the embellishments. Yes, the ego must be a big driver but I think it also displays a lack of confidence in their own story telling skills as they felt that the story they filmed wasn't good enough to be successful without some extra "catch".

My wife got interested in Harry Potter a couple of weeks ago when some cable channel was showing it as a promo for the new Beauty and the Beast. So I ordered a Blu-Ray set. We watched Goblet of Fire last night. It's got David Tennant in it. At the end, when they caught him, he turns out to have a magic box, which is...you know...wait for it...bigger on the inside.
    He's not the only Doctor Who actor in it, either.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The Harry Potter movies, whatever else their issues (and some of them have issues!) are impeccably cast, at least. I'm still mildly annoyed that neither Alan Rickman nor Daniel Radcliffe got Oscar nominations for their work in Deathly Hallows Part 2. Especially Alan Rickman, who was never nominated for an Oscar. Radcliffe is young and by all accounts doing good work; he'll have another chance.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Lots of fine actors indeed. I thought the series was in trouble when Richard Harris died but Gambon is excellent. And I second the vote for Alan Rickman. He captured Snape, the most interesting character in the series, perfectly.

The original Cape Fear

Nothing against the remake, which is a well-crafted film, but I found the original to be even creepier.

Finished Iron Fist (season 1) yesterday. Still like it. More than the most people, it seems.

But some of the "coming next season" hints they showed, were of the kind that start to grate. Too many twists and turns of who joins what side and does what to whom. As with Arrow etc.

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)

Especially, here, the scene showing Devos talking to Joy trying to get her to help kill Iron Fist.

That's where it all gets a bit soap-opera-ish for me. A show like Buffy could go for many seasons; not just having "monster of the week", nor having to demonstrate mathematical combinatorics by having every possible combination of regular characters grouped into "us" vs "them".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

Watched the finale of bones the other night. Still can't figure out when Angela got training to build the Angelatron.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm watching a movie for class - Elizabeth: The Virgin Queen. It's a documentary. I am enjoying it a lot.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

I watched SpaceX launch a used rocket this afternoon. Cool!

I'm getting really annoyed with unwanted emails from Tapatalk!

Quote Originally Posted by astrotimer View Post
    Watched the finale of bones the other night. Still can't figure out when Angela got training to build the Angelatron.
    Its project on GIThub.

No, it's not.
    Solfe, Dominus Maris Pavos.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Its project on GIThub.

No, it's not.
    It is one of those shows that I liked at times more fo the humor than anything else. At times I find the main character a little cold, she thinks she is so logical but pushes some silly things (I think that is the actress' views coming out). The fact the FBI uses this lab even thou their own lab is one of the best if not the best.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Also I think Once upon a time has gone by it sell by date, it was good for a while but I think they have dragged into many stories.
    But it is the time of year were a lot of shows are ending their seasons.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

I've been watching Scott Manley's channel on YouTube. I wish I could make a living building and crashing virtual rockets (OK, that's not all he does, but still)!

https://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

Also I think Once upon a time has gone by it sell by date, it was good for a while but I think they have dragged into many stories.
    But it is the time of year were a lot of shows are ending their seasons.
    They've done Frozen, how will they fit in Moana?

-----

A M*A*S*H question: how does Klinger rate a tent by himself?

(Except that episode with the sock-talking invisible-enemy-glider-seeing person).
    Yes, Einstein said "It should be possible to explain the laws of physics to a barmaid", and he made some good Gedanken experiments. That doesn't mean one can simply drink a few beers, tell a story that makes 'sense', and go ask for a Nobel prize.

I read that the Folks Who Should Know think next season will be the last for OUAT. It did make a list of 100 best TV dramas.

Who would want to room with him?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

They've done Frozen, how will they fit in Moana?
    In the last episode they said they are going into the final chapter.

-----

(Except that episode with the sock-talking invisible-enemy-glider-seeing person).
    at the end he became company clerk at get his own bunk in the office, this is probably is because when someone is trying to contact them on the radio in the middle of night he could answer it.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

... at the end he became company clerk at get his own bunk in the office, this is probably is because when someone is trying to contact them on the radio in the middle of night he could answer it.
    Yep, took over from Radar in that position (location and duties), but in earlier episodes he seems to have his own tent, full of his dresses and sewing equipment. I wouldn't have thought he ranked high enough to have a tent - after all the three main Doctors are 2 x Captain and a Major, and have to share.

Klinger (a "Corporal"?) is "enlisted" not an officer?

Dunno. Just struck me one episode.

I don't think anything on M*A*S*H was regular army.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Forged in Fire started their new season (4) last night. Season 3 didn't end that long ago, and was itself split into short runs with breaks for weeks in between. This is the new normal for US television now. Even shows like Agents of SHIELD and Jane the Virgin (other well-watched shows of mine) have these extended mid-season breaks. And don't get me started on shows like American Pickers, on season 16 (but only been airing for 8 years).

[old man]Durn it! When I was a child we had 1 season per year and it ended in May. You had to wait until the apple harvest for the new season to start up! That was an event, I tell you! The family would gather 'round the tube -a real tube, mind you! Not these LSDs or LDE screens you have now - and when the picture warmed up and the theme song started, it was like the prodigal son had come home! [/old man]

CJSF
    Last edited by CJSF; 2017-Apr-12 at 01:08 PM.

lonelybirder.org

We watched An Unearthly Child a couple of nights ago. The DVD came along when I ordered An Adventure in Space and Time Quite interesting after we watched the latter. Especially the two versions of the very first episode, one with a very unpleasant characterization of The Doctor, including calling Susan "you stupid girl". They remade it before the launch, fortunately. I'm surprised that the original still exists.

In the '90s I videotaped a lot Dr Who and the unearthly child is one of them, should chuck the the lot because you can just get them online. There is tape where I made a documentary of Dr Who in grade 12, the facts are wrong but I did an edit of all the intro before everyone did them and put them online.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    "Star Trek".

I watched the first episode, "The Man Trap", on the 50th anniversary Thursday night. And then I decided that I'm just enough of a nerd to try to keep doing it - so, my plan is to watch the entire 79-episode run over the next three years, each episode on its own 50th anniversary.

Wish me luck.
    Just got done watching "Operation -- Annihilate!". I made it through the first season without missing any episode dates. Now I've got about five months until "Amok Time," the second season premiere, on September 15th.

When I started watching these, I was watching the DVDs which I bought way back circa 2000. However, last month I came across a Blu-Ray box set at Target. A special release for the 50th anniversary, with the entire original series (both original special effects and enhanced special effects), plus the entire animated series, plus all six original-cast movies - 30 discs total - marked down for clearance at about $45.

So I watched these last four episodes on Blu-Ray, and they look beautiful.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Last night, saw the live RiffTrax of Samurai Cop in the theatre. This morning, I am starting up the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000. After all, I paid for it!

"You can't erase icing."

New episodes of Hinterland. I like the settings; struggle a bit with the accents. I find myself wondering how I would behave if I had experienced the main character's painful past.

Samurai Jack - a new season after a fifteen year hiatus, that has to be a TV first.