Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3777858687
Results 2,581 to 2,596 of 2596

Thread: What are you watching?

I don't know but it has finished now. Don't worry they'll be at least one rematch in one or other tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    For about half an hour, the first episode of the latest season of The X-Files.
    Is it just me, or has Chris Carter lost even the rudimentary command of the English language he once had? The script was truly execrable.

Grant Hutchison
    Could be worse. He could've written a retelling of Fern Gully with giant blue cat-people and a Marine with the discipline of a toddler.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SkepticJ View Post
    Could be worse. He could've written a retelling of Fern Gully with giant blue cat-people and a Marine with the discipline of a toddler.
    Avatar? (I haven't seen Avatar.) Cameron is also not a great prose stylist.

Grant Hutchison

Lucky.
    ...I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
    You cannot run away from the truth, the world is not big enough. DI Jack Frost
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    I don't know but it has finished now. Don't worry they'll be at least one rematch in one or other tournament.
    I watch the winter Olympics for the hockey and the Canada vs. US games. In Canada a lot of places almost shut down during those games.
    Don't Panic THGTTG
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Einstein

Avatar? (I haven't seen Avatar.) Cameron is also not a great prose stylist.n
    If you're looking for what is in some places a shot-for-shot remake of Dances With Wolves (really; I watched the latter not long afterward, and literally shot-for-shot for longer than I think people realize) with very pretty backgrounds and a scientist who smokes around delicate machinery, there are worse movies. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

I've been dealing with my stress by watching British competitive cooking shows. I like how nice everyone is. There's something refreshing about having a person who's lost the week saying, "I would have protested to the judges if it had been anyone but me."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    If you're looking for what is in some places a shot-for-shot remake of Dances With Wolves (really; I watched the latter not long afterward, and literally shot-for-shot for longer than I think people realize) with very pretty backgrounds and a scientist who smokes around delicate machinery, there are worse movies. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
    The fact that I longed for the theatrical trailer to be over told me all I needed to know, to be honest.

I've been dealing with my stress by watching British competitive cooking shows. I like how nice everyone is. There's something refreshing about having a person who's lost the week saying, "I would have protested to the judges if it had been anyone but me."
    Is that unique to British competitive cooking shows? (I don't really watch cooking/dancing/singing/apprenticing competitions.)

Grant Hutchison

I'm watching the bonus material in the box set of Twin Peaks: The Return.
    Interesting to see how much David Lynch micro-manages scenes (which is probably a good idea, given that the actors, like the rest of us, don't have much of a clue what's going on).
    Also interesting to see how needy actors are (even actors with well-established careers) for the slightest bit of praise. Honestly, these guys were getting more affirmation in a single scene than I got in my entire career, and they were still weepily anxious for more. Does that happen because acting is such a hellish career choice, or because people who want to be actors are predisposed to seeking praise?

Grant Hutchison

I'm watching the bonus material ...
    ... Also interesting to see how needy actors are ... for the slightest
    bit of praise. Honestly, these guys were getting more affirmation
    in a single scene than I got in my entire career, and they were still
    weepily anxious for more.
    Can you explain what behaviors they exhibited that told you this?
    Like, did they continually ask if they did good?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Root View Post
    Can you explain what behaviors they exhibited that told you this?
    I'm sure you've observed the facial expressions and body postures of people who are looking for praise, who are meltingly grateful for praise being received, who writhe happily in anticipation of praise, or who flinch at the slightest hint that they're not meeting expectations. They radiate a worrying fragility.

Grant Hutchison

I think that is highly dependant on the context: What led up to that
    moment, what is being said, and what people are doing at that
    moment. Without knowing those things I wouldn't be able to
    interpret the body language or facial expressions at all. Which
    makes me think of the story about something I haven't actually
    seen myself -- I read of it pre-Internet -- a famous Russian actor
    was shown in closeups on film reacting to various contrasting
    situations, demonstrating what a good actor he was, able to
    show such a range of emotions, when actually it was the same
    clip of film of the actor shown after each setup. The actor's
    emotions were a product of the viewer's expectations.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
    http://www.FreeMars.org/jeff/

"I find astronomy very interesting, but I wouldn't if I thought we
    were just going to sit here and look." -- "Van Rijn"

"The other planets? Well, they just happen to be there, but the
    point of rockets is to explore them!" -- Kai Yeves

I think that is highly dependant on the context: What led up to that
    moment, what is being said, and what people are doing at that
    moment. Without knowing those things I wouldn't be able to
    interpret the body language or facial expressions at all.
    Um.
    That's why you need to see the context. Did you really think I'd been watching ten-second clips without context?

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; Today at 01:08 AM.

Which
    makes me think of the story about something I haven't actually
    seen myself -- I read of it pre-Internet -- a famous Russian actor
    was shown in closeups on film reacting to various contrasting
    situations, demonstrating what a good actor he was, able to
    show such a range of emotions, when actually it was the same
    clip of film of the actor shown after each setup. The actor's
    emotions were a product of the viewer's expectations.
    By the way, the Russian actor was a silent movie star named Ivan Mozzhukhin, and he was carefully maintaining a neutral expression (or perhaps "ambivalent" is the better word, since he was lifting one corner of his mouth). The director Lev Kuleshov then set this neutral expression against a variety of emotionally charged contexts - you can see the movie on YouTube. The sequence was supposed to be a demonstration of the effectiveness of movie editing, not of our inability to recognize emotional expressions when they're actually present. There's actually a huge body of research demonstrating that most people are very good at quickly identifying emotion (and its intensity) from either a still photograph of a facial expression or a video of a transient expression. (There are all sorts of interesting gender/education/culture/neurocognitive variations, of course. Which is why there's so much research.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; Today at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added quote, for context (!)

Fall asleep while watching Canada Vs. Czech republic last night and woke to find Canada lost.
    Don't Panic THGTTG

The fact that I longed for the theatrical trailer to be over told me all I needed to know, to be honest.
    I can imagine.

Is that unique to British competitive cooking shows? (I don't really watch cooking/dancing/singing/apprenticing competitions.)
    All I can say is that, on the average American competitive show, it wouldn't be the loser declaring how right the judges were. I don't know about other British shows, though; the reason I like the cooking ones is mostly that I like cooking.

I'm watching the bonus material in the box set of Twin Peaks: The Return.
    Interesting to see how much David Lynch micro-manages scenes (which is probably a good idea, given that the actors, like the rest of us, don't have much of a clue what's going on).
    Also interesting to see how needy actors are (even actors with well-established careers) for the slightest bit of praise. Honestly, these guys were getting more affirmation in a single scene than I got in my entire career, and they were still weepily anxious for more. Does that happen because acting is such a hellish career choice, or because people who want to be actors are predisposed to seeking praise?
    I haven't watched it, because I haven't been able to afford to buy the box set yet. But honestly, I think the answer has a lot to do with the fact that it's Twin Peaks. There's a lot of cultural weight there. Everyone knows, who knows about Twin Peaks, that David Lynch has a particular way he wants things to go. (Never mind how little of the original series was plotted in advance and how much of it was pure happenstance--such as the casting of Frank Silva, who was on the crew before he was on the cast.) They know that these are performances people will be nitpicking for years. And some of them aren't terribly experienced actors, though others, of course, are. I'd compare their mannerisms on that set with their mannerisms on another before coming to any specific judgements.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I haven't watched it, because I haven't been able to afford to buy the box set yet. But honestly, I think the answer has a lot to do with the fact that it's Twin Peaks. There's a lot of cultural weight there. Everyone knows, who knows about Twin Peaks, that David Lynch has a particular way he wants things to go. (Never mind how little of the original series was plotted in advance and how much of it was pure happenstance--such as the casting of Frank Silva, who was on the crew before he was on the cast.) They know that these are performances people will be nitpicking for years. And some of them aren't terribly experienced actors, though others, of course, are. I'd compare their mannerisms on that set with their mannerisms on another before coming to any specific judgements.
    There are definitely a few David-Lynch-related things going. One is, "Oh my god I'm speaking to David Lynch," which you can see in the faces of some of the actors with small parts. And I'm sure his tendency to reuse a pool of actors that he likes working with ramps up the pressure to please in the small window available.

But there's also this Lynch micro-management thing, in which the actors don't (can't!) know the story, and instead have to be drip-fed by Lynch, who has to tell them how their character is feeling and even the rhythm of speech he wants to hear. So it turns Lynch into almost the sole source of positive or negative feedback. (James Belushi makes a joke about this at one point, which seems to fall catastrophically flat with Lynch.)

Grant Hutchison