Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 2950

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Is that the UK 'Taskmaster' with Greg Davies setting the tasks?
    No, and no. It's the American version of same, with Reggie Watts and Alex Horne.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Death in Paradise.

Procedural murder mystery show involving a fussy English detective transferred to a Caribbean island. I'm not sure how my wife discovered this and got us hooked on it, but it's a cozy mystery series set in a tropical paradise. Our one complaint is that it goes through cast changes. Of the four major players in the first episode, only one still remains by Season Three. Sometimes one drops out in mid-season without so much as a farewell episode, just a one-line, "Oh, he's been transferred to another posting."

^ One of my daughters introduced me to that series a few years ago. It's light and fun, so I watched it all a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesabrown View Post
    Death in Paradise.

Procedural murder mystery show involving a fussy English detective transferred to a Caribbean island. I'm not sure how my wife discovered this and got us hooked on it, but it's a cozy mystery series set in a tropical paradise. Our one complaint is that it goes through cast changes. Of the four major players in the first episode, only one still remains by Season Three. Sometimes one drops out in mid-season without so much as a farewell episode, just a one-line, "Oh, he's been transferred to another posting."
    You recognise the sergeant?

It's Danny John-Jules, the Cat from Red Dwarf.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Didn't know there was a US version. It was originally created by British comedian Alex Horne during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2010, and came to TV on the 'Dave' Channel in 2015. Comedian and actor Greg Davies is the Taskmaster and Alex Horne supervises the tasks. He is also the show producer and devises the tasks.
    All Moderation in Purple

You recognise the sergeant?

It's Danny John-Jules, the Cat from Red Dwarf.
    I don't recognize the sergeant, because I've never seen Red Dwarf.

But Danny John-Jules is the only main character that's stuck with the show from the beginning. He's also my wife's and my favorite character.

Coco, from Pixar and Disney. We enjoyed it a great deal and I can see why it won the best animated feature category at this year's Academy Awards. The film contains the most amazing detail in animation and wonderful use of color. Trailer here for those interested.

We tried to take Simon to see that in the theatre! He . . . wasn't ready to see a movie in the theatre, but he still really liked it and is getting a stuffed Dante for his birthday.

Carol Burnett's got a Netflix show where she asks kids to solve adults' problems. It's called A Little Help. It's . . . cute.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    We tried to take Simon to see that in the theatre! He . . . wasn't ready to see a movie in the theatre, but he still really liked it and is getting a stuffed Dante for his birthday.

Carol Burnett's got a Netflix show where she asks kids to solve adults' problems. It's called A Little Help. It's . . . cute.
    It's nice to see that Carol Burnett is still active. She was always a very talented and likable performer.

I got to her for Celebrating the Living some time ago. The image I used was, to me, the only image I could have used, even if I couldn't get a clear still of it. http://www.the-solute.com/celebratin...carol-burnett/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Tabula Rasa, a Belgian thriller in which a woman who has a damaged short-term memory seems to be a key witness to the disappearance of a young man. The story is being told in two strands, one set three months before this disappearance, and one just after. All, as you might expect, is not what it seems, and the various memory-aiding devices she has around the house are beginning to be significant plot elements. I'm enjoying it, so far.
    Her memory problems aren't quite consistent, but it's the first time I've seen a dramatic treatment of the problem of confabulation - people with impaired memory often construct false memories for themselves in order to explain events that they can only partially recall.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I got to her for Celebrating the Living some time ago. The image I used was, to me, the only image I could have used, even if I couldn't get a clear still of it. http://www.the-solute.com/celebratin...carol-burnett/
    Thanks - i hadn't seen that article of yours before. She also certainly assembled a good "supporting cast" around herself.

Got a babysitter yesterday and got to see Avengers: Infinity War ahead of getting it spoiled for me. Now to figure out how to write a spoiler-free review.

"You can't erase icing."

Just watched Deadpool.

So so good. Straight into my top 10. (Don't ask what the other nine are, I can't keep a list straight in my head).

So good.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

catching up with season 3 of "The Expanse".
    and now syfy is going to can one of the best sf series of late :-(
    here a petition to save it on chang.org
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Vertigo. First released 60 years ago, but still sort of holds up. It helps to watch it while remembering, "All this was ground breaking back then."

I wonder why no one ever made a remake. Some other Hitchcock vehicles were remade.

Eurovision of course.
    All Moderation in Purple

Eurovision of course.
    Oh, so you're the person who watches Eurovision. Is there a rota or something? I've always been afraid of the arrival of a buff envelope, or men in black suits, telling me it was my turn.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Oh, so you're the person who watches Eurovision. Is there a rota or something? I've always been afraid of the arrival of a buff envelope, or men in black suits, telling me it was my turn.

Grant Hutchison
    It has been huge here in Australia for at least the last 15 years - even before we mysteriously became eligible to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It has been huge here in Australia for at least the last 15 years - even before we mysteriously became eligible to enter.
    While I'm quite used to being left out of popular culture ("Did you watch the football/Formula One/Game of Thrones/Simpsons/Homeland/Lost/Bake-Off/Strictly?" "No." "Oh."), in my whole life I can't recall a single occasion on which anyone has asked me if I watched the Eurovision Song Contest, or has discussed it in my presence. A couple of years ago I had a conversation in the pub with my more au courant buddies, and likewise none of them could recall watching it or hearing a conversation about it. And yet every year it's trailed as a huge televisual event. They must be broadcasting to a universe parallel to my own.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:

It is shown on the multi-cultural broadcaster here and is seen as a wacky carnival of weird and extravagant performances - a sort of grand guignol of doubtfully talented performers (with over the top staging taking the place of the gore but certainly with lots of grotesques) - also with the occasional talented act thrown in as a comparison. And of course, the hilarious voting process, usually both biased and political, sets the seal on the show. I haven't watched it for a number of years but it is certainly widely discussed and the results, and controversies, appear on the news services and in the papers.

A friend of mine from my Facebook film group watches it, though it took me a bit to realize that was what his posts meant.

"You can't erase icing."

Another new Netflix show--The Who Was Show, a history show for kids that for some reason doesn't show up in their kids' selections, just the adults list.

"You can't erase icing."

Watching some midsomer murders.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

About half way through season 5 of Voyager now.

(Also, Task Master (UK) season 6 has started here. Groovy.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wir fahren fahren fahren auf der Autobahn

Solo: A Star Wars Story - really, really good. I think it's my favorite of all the new Star Wars movies.

Deadpool 2 - even funnier than the original.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Until a few moments ago the inside of eyelids. (Sorry,that just had to come out.)
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I'm trying to catch up on the last two seasons of Dr. Who. While I am aware of tons of spoilers for the overall arc of the seasons, the spoilers don't really wreck any of the individual shows.
    Solfe

A Brazilian, I believe, kids' show called Fishtronaut.

"You can't erase icing."

Red Dwarf XI
    All Moderation in Purple