Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105 LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3149

Thread: What are you watching?

Last episode of the BBC's Mum - simultaneously the funniest and most poignant series I've watched on television for a long, long time.
    The Boon Companion and I were amazed and impressed when Lesley Manville (the female lead) conducted an awkward conversation with her son while preparing nibbles in the kitchen. Talking all the while, she stripped a length of clear plastic wrap off its roll and draped it over a tray of food - and it was exactly the right length to fit perfectly. It subliminally signalled the homely competence of her character (to which her son is oblivious), but we wondered how many takes it took to achieve.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Going to be watching Good Omens later today. It'll be interesting to see if my wife likes it. She does very much like David Tennant.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48718038

Group petitions Netflix for Good Omens to be cancelled.

It's an Amazon Prime show.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48718038

Group petitions Netflix for Good Omens to be cancelled.

It's an Amazon Prime show.
    Pfffft

(That was my coffee.)
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Pfffft

(That was my coffee.)
    Even better Netflix agreed to cancel the show and Amazon decided it would cancel Stranger Things. It all played out on Twitter. (Link is a news story, not twitter.)
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Even better Netflix agreed to cancel the show and Amazon decided it would cancel Stranger Things. It all played out on Twitter. (Link is a news story, not twitter.)
    This made me feel very good.

More Downton Abbey, now Season 3.

I'd love to buy a life-size cardboard cutout of Mr. Carson and have him greet visitors to our home.

My Brilliant Friend on HBO. It's an eight episode series telling the story of the first of the Neapolitan Novels. (HBO just binged all eight and I had somehow missed the last four.)

The series is presented in Italian with subtitles, which can make it hard to follow as they don't seem to have mastered how to present readable subtitles; the white letters blend in to light backgrounds. But I can follow enough and it's presented so well. It's apparently the first acting role for all four of the actresses playing the two main characters; they are all great.

Season two has been promised.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I've been watching Time Team on Amazon Prime. Then yesterday, they suggested that, because of my viewing habits, it suggested I would want to watch the original British Whose Line Is It Anyway? And they were right.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've been watching Time Team on Amazon Prime. Then yesterday, they suggested that, because of my viewing habits, it suggested I would want to watch the original British Whose Line Is It Anyway? And they were right.
    Might I make a suggestion? If you get a chance to watch Clive Anderson's recent series Mystic Britain, that might be right up your street. Despite the title, this series is more-or-less straight archaeology, but concentrating on the stranger aspects of the past. And some very strange things have happened in the past in Britain.

Oh, that very much sounds like my thing! I've also been watching Perry Mason on Prime, because, hey, Perry Mason.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the Forum so ...

Apparently there is a movement to have Netflix cancel Good Omens because of its content. Netflix has said it would be happy to cancel Good Omens. Amazon Prime said to go ahead and they will cancel Stranger Things.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere on the Forum so ...
    Uhhh...about six or seven posts above.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Uhhh...about six or seven posts above.
    Well, duh.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

Simon is watching a truly awful Pokemon episode where they're teaching a Pokemon how to woo a mate, and it's making me wonder if this is where some incels learned their techniques.

"You can't erase icing."

We just watched Bad Times at the El Royale. It was OK but needed some editing to rein in some scenes. Or maybe my attention span just isn't what it used to be. Or both.

And thanks to you, I've just watched one. (Time Team, that is. Flaming grapefruits FTW!) I found myself wondering how long it takes someone to clear up the mess after the three days? Must watch some more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There are quite a few Time Team shows on YouTube. Along with quite a few of the various Connections series.

Football! World cup finals, tied at halftime.

Hey Nicolas, what's "football" in Dutch?

Gooooooaaal! On a penalty kick.

We managed to watch 40 minutes of Crazy Rich Asians before binning it. Turned out we'd each been waiting for the other to crack for the last 20 minutes.
    Must be a new usage of the word "hilarious" with which we were not previously acquainted.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    We managed to watch 40 minutes of Crazy Rich Asians before binning it. Turned out we'd each been waiting for the other to crack for the last 20 minutes.
    Must be a new usage of the word "hilarious" with which we were not previously acquainted.
    In my case, "Neil Simon comedies" takes the place of "Crazy Rich Asians". There is a certain type of New York humor that goes over my head and leaves me staring in puzzlement, wondering why everyone else is laughing. Have seen this in the past with "Saturday Night Live" as well.

I don't think "hilarious" is the adjective to describe it, either, and I liked Crazy Rich Asians okay.

"You can't erase icing."

I don't think "hilarious" is the adjective to describe it, either, and I liked Crazy Rich Asians okay.
    "Fantastic, Refreshing, Hilarious" is the review squib the distributor chose for the back cover of our blu-ray. Given that I have no idea what someone means when they describe a film as "fantastic" or "refreshing", I kind of had my hopes pinned on "hilarous".

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    "Fantastic, Refreshing, Hilarious" is the review squib the distributor chose for the back cover of our blu-ray. Given that I have no idea what someone means when they describe a film as "fantastic" or "refreshing", I kind of had my hopes pinned on "hilarous".
    Well that's refreshingly funny right here.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I liked it, too. Of course, I'm a big fan of Constance Wu and Michelle Yeoh, but it had some very good moments, not all funny.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

I quite enjoyed it as well. A lot of that was because I was busy spotting scenes set in Singapore where I could recognise the location. Of course some buildings were fakes and others were actually in Kuala Lumpur - but after all Toronto has often made an appearance in movies set in New York.

I genuinely don't think it's trying for "hilarious," which to me indicates a very specific kind of funny. It takes itself too seriously for that. I get not liking it; there are some problems I had with it myself. (I would've dumped that boyfriend for not adequately preparing me for what was going on, including being sure I had the right clothing for the situation. He can afford to take me shopping, after all.) That just seems to me like a weird claim to be made for that specific movie.

Meanwhile, the new season of 3Below dropped on Netflix yesterday, and I watched the whole thing. There were two throwaway bits that made me very happy--one because it established something I already believed about the character in question, which is that she has an extremely interesting past that we're left in the dark about since she's never our perspective character and her grandson is more likely to be.

"You can't erase icing."

I genuinely don't think it's trying for "hilarious," which to me indicates a very specific kind of funny. It takes itself too seriously for that. I get not liking it; there are some problems I had with it myself. (I would've dumped that boyfriend for not adequately preparing me for what was going on, including being sure I had the right clothing for the situation. He can afford to take me shopping, after all.) That just seems to me like a weird claim to be made for that specific movie.
    Yes, I'm puzzled why the distributor chose that particular quote for the case cover, given that they must have had a whole raft of positive reviews to choose from, some of which presumably better reflected the actual content.
    I'm not a big fan of movie hilarity anyway, so it was no great loss.

Grant Hutchison

The Dish, well if it plays.
    Nope not working, old homemade dvd.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2019-Jul-14 at 10:37 PM.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/