Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 2,821 to 2,846 of 2846

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    ... there was also nothing to really explain why Julie fell in love with him in the first place. ...
    Which is another reason Billy needs to have some redeemability. Julie saw something. We should, too.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Eh, a lot of women end up with men without it, and I think we should see the women's perspective if anything. She thought there was something there, but that honestly doesn't mean there is. The way most abusers start--and I do agree Hugh Jackman could handle this dynamic--is by seeming charming and then turning out to just have the charm, but by then it's too late for the woman to feel safe in escaping. (Or man.) That doesn't mean we as an audience have to be fooled. I've never liked Carousel; someone in my theatre group saw it recently, as I recall (possibly the same performance, as it's a Facebook group), and demanded an explanation of the show and its appeal. We couldn't give them one.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Eh, a lot of women end up with men without it, and I think we should see the women's perspective if anything. She thought there was something there, but that honestly doesn't mean there is. The way most abusers start--and I do agree Hugh Jackman could handle this dynamic--is by seeming charming and then turning out to just have the charm, but by then it's too late for the woman to feel safe in escaping. (Or man.) That doesn't mean we as an audience have to be fooled. I've never liked Carousel; someone in my theatre group saw it recently, as I recall (possibly the same performance, as it's a Facebook group), and demanded an explanation of the show and its appeal. We couldn't give them one.
    What it has got going for it is mainly some excellent songs and a great piece of orchestral music in "The Carousel Waltz".

Watching Westworld season 2

What it has got going for it is mainly some excellent songs and a great piece of orchestral music in "The Carousel Waltz".
    Oh, we could mostly recommend the soundtrack.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Oh, we could mostly recommend the soundtrack.

ETA: This is a duplicate, but the software's being wonky and won't let me delete, just edit.
    Last edited by Gillianren; 2018-Jun-22 at 05:14 PM.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Orionspear View Post
    Because of, or in spite of, Season 1?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

A new season of Endeavour.
    From the wilderness to the cosmos.
    http://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Orionspear View Post
    I think it's way better than s1.

It feels like J.J. is robooting LOST. I liked LOST.=-)

-- Dennis
    Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true. - Niels Bohr

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

Hint: this is at heart a scientific forum, and underneath the fooling around there are some diamond-hard minds hanging about, ready to tear you to shreads. -- Mike Alexander

World Cup - Spain vs. Morocco. Halftime and itís 1-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    I think it's way better than s1.

It feels like J.J. is robooting LOST. I liked LOST.=-)

-- Dennis
    I see what you did there.

Winchester. I don't really get ghost stories, but I decided to give this one a go because Helen Mirren was in it. Set in the Winchester Mystery House, with Mirren playing Sarah Winchester. I like the premise, linking the constant rebuilding to its supposed hauntedness in quite a neat way. I actually paused the film to go and check if it had been written by Tim Powers - the mix of real history and the supernatural was very reminiscent of his style.

And Benson and Moorhead's The Endless. Again, nice premise, at times inconsistently executed. Could have done without being hit over the head with "let us just explain the metaphor in case you missed it", but otherwise great fun.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Note:
    During life, we all develop attitudes and strategies to make our interactions with others more pleasant and useful. If I mention mine here, those comments can apply only to myself, my experiences and my situation. Such remarks cannot and should not be construed as dismissing, denigrating, devaluing or criticizing any different attitudes and strategies that other people have evolved as a result of their different situation and different experiences.

Hannibal season 1 in 2nd time... Those writers who thought up scenes of crimes, the details of the murders, the handwriting of the killers for this series are real maniacs themselves

This weeks new Taskmaster episode.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I've been watching a lot of the nature documentaries on Netflix, mostly BBC ones.

"You can't erase icing."

I just watched the season (almost series) finale of The Expanse! Whoa.

2001 Monolith: ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCE...

Protomolecule Ring: Hold my beer...

o.O

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

ST:Voyager now finished. Bit annoyed the ending involved time travel, but that was perhaps largely an in-joke about how Janeway hated time travel. Not a bad couple of episodes. Glad to see that Borg Queen finally get dealt to. (I presume another will rise, but anyway ...)

Also a bit "sad" there was no story arc leading to the end (apart from the 3rd to last episode finding a new home for Nelix). It's not like they really needed it to be a surprise that the show was over.

Overall happy I watched it all. On a par with DS9 and Enterprise for me, with TNG (later seasons) still maybe my "favourite".

Next, now I'm all caught up, is the recent ST series, Discovery.

Watched "The Captains" last night, the William Shatner documentary where he interviews the other captains. It struck me how in each ST show, Kirk is revered as one of the true greats, but really, the captains in each other show did just as much if not more. I'm making allowances for the lengths of the shows and happy to assume Kirk did lots of great stuff we never saw; still, I don't think Picard et al were any less "great" than the mighty Kirk.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Kirk was first and therefore they all him their jobs. Each Captain and crew was different. Picard was more cerebral most of the time but if you ticked him off watch out. Sisko was more a man of action then of thought almost the opposite of Picard. Janeway loved the idea of the adventure of being lost and had was scientist before being captain but was reserved. Archer just wanted to see what out there. Only saw the first episode of discovery, don't know if I want to see more.

Watching Vera tonight.

Season 8 of Doc Martin, FINALLY! The local PBS stations have not bought it (or the rights to show it, or whatever), so we are getting the DVDs via Netflix. 2 epsisodes in and it's, "Let's see how much of the therapy and change Doc has internali... nope ok."

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Season 8 of Doc Martin, FINALLY! The local PBS stations have not bought it (or the rights to show it, or whatever), so we are getting the DVDs via Netflix. 2 epsisodes in and it's, "Let's see how much of the therapy and change Doc has internali... nope ok."

CJSF
    We got the discs quite a while ago. I was pretty unhappy with PBS, who showed the previous season over about the time the new one should have come out. I did find the Doc a tad mellower -- heck, he didn't even have a breakup from Louiser this time!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Endeavour, lost glasses screw is lynch pin clue, could never find them even in the best of situations. Then a a youtube video of an old friend and then Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    We got the discs quite a while ago. I was pretty unhappy with PBS, who showed the previous season over about the time the new one should have come out. I did find the Doc a tad mellower -- heck, he didn't even have a breakup from Louiser this time!
    Spoilers! (Oh, wrong Doctor)...

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Spoilers! (Oh, wrong Doctor)...

CJSF
    I have a whole silly spreadsheet page listing actors who've been in both Doc and Doctor. Starting with Martin Clunes, who was in a serial with the fifth Doctor.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Christopher Eccleston was on an episode of inspector Morse.

The Peopleís Court soon to be followed by The Price is Right. (Weíre visiting my in-laws. And itís raining.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Penelope

They don't make 'em like Natalie Wood anymore. Witty, mischievous, and ridiculously cute. I'm smitten.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin