Page 45 of 95 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2846

Thread: What are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post
    Yes they are all two parters. I like it, there is more scope to develop a story, we don't get a sudden rushed ending.

As for the latest episode. worst of the series so far. It just had so much wrong with it.

As an aside, whoever designed the costumes is a fan of the old Maschinen Krieger Sci-Fi model kits
    http://www.hasegawausa.com/product-pages/hsgs4107.html
    http://www.a1-plastik.com/2015_02_01_archive.html
    It's all about the willing suspension of disbelief. Which is a funny thing. I can accept a blue 1950's police box that's bigger on the inside and a Time Lord who turns into a different actor when he dies. But ahistorical horned helmets and electric eels in Scandinavia? Not so much.

And those Vikings in the room with the walls closing in just needed to call on R2D2 to stop them.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Major Crimes season 1. It's the sequel to The Closer after Kyra Sedgwick left. Both are really well done.

Right now, Canada's Worst Driver Season 9 Episode 1.

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Not with the original cast but it does have a number of Next Generation movies.

Besides First Contact, none of the TNG movies are worth the film they were captured on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

And those Vikings in the room with the walls closing in just needed to call on R2D2 to stop them.
    Why didn't they just put the zappers in the room and do away with all the moving walls?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    Major Crimes season 1. It's the sequel to The Closer after Kyra Sedgwick left. Both are really well done.
    I enjoyed The Closer and enjoy Major Crimes. The latter uses and develops the other characters more and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Jurassic World

Stargate SG-1 (Amanda Tapping)

Escape to Witch Mountain (1975)

rmfr
    Difference between a "best" friend and a good friend: A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A Best friend will be in jail with you saying, "Dude, we screwed up."

I think I'm going to see if my copy of The Quiet Man is somewhere accessible, so I can do a tribute review to the late, great Maureen O'Hara.

http://www.the-solute.com/just-a-goo...ara-1920-2015/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The second series of Les Revenants, the French TV series showing in the UK as The Returned. Lovely score by Mogwai.
    It's about the dead coming back to life, in a serene kind of way, in a small French town, though it takes a slightly different approach from the movie of the same name.
    An utterly bonkers triumph of style over substance - it makes no sense, but it's gorgeous. I love it.

Grant Hutchison

Yesterday: Gravity. Came up on N.Z. Netflix. Enjoyed it a lot, though there were a few bits that made me go "hmmm?". A lot of suspension of disbelief (not just the specific events, things like that Shuttle and the Chinese space station existing *) needed, but tense anyway.

(* I suppose it was set in the near-ish future, but then, the Shuttle should have been way different from what was shown. Using an already-retired craft confused the setting, time-wise.)

Day before: Star Trek Generations. Seen it before, but still enjoyed it. Again, didn't seem like there was actually all that much plot, but it filled its time well. Nice way for Kirk to go. My memory for these things is so bad, I somehow had "remembered" Kirk going back into the Nexus and living out an eternal horse riding sunshine. So his death here was a surprise. The Nexus itself was yet another fairly mystical "fantasy" Star Trek element.

(I've seen Nemesis (which seemed a bit pointless) but none of the other Next Generation movies, so looking forward to the next one.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Out of morbid curiosity, I watched After Earth.

It was worse than I thought it would be, it's one of the dumbest movies that I've ever seen.

I couldn't find my copy of The Quiet Man, but The Parent Trap was right there.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I think I'm going to see if my copy of The Quiet Man is somewhere accessible, so I can do a tribute review to the late, great Maureen O'Hara.

I had read the original short story, so when I was in college I went to the movie. I've hated John Wayne ever since. Oh, FSM, that was awful.

*"Blunt Talk", on Showtime.

*Catching up on "The Wire".

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I had read the original short story, so when I was in college I went to the movie. I've hated John Wayne ever since. Oh, FSM, that was awful.
    Really? It's one of the only John Wayne movies I actually like. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the story.

"You can't erase icing."

It was shown on TV over here on Saturday as a tribute.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Really? It's one of the only John Wayne movies I actually like. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the story.
    Here ya' go.

Honestly, I still prefer the movie. I'm not fond of how Ellen thinks and acts, frankly.

"You can't erase icing."

Honestly, I still prefer the movie. I'm not fond of how Ellen thinks and acts, frankly.
    It has been 50 years since I read it. And 45 since I saw the movie. Dang, I'm getting old!

Having said that, in the story she pretty much makes a man of him. Or something.

Well, she makes the man she wants out of him. Which he already was, because he'd been a professional boxer.

"You can't erase icing."

The Knick, again

Okay, I'll just admit it ... Supergirl.

The show is over the top and plays that way. The show and the cast take themselves just seriously enough without denying the whole thing is preposterous. Melissa Benoist is the right mix of geeky school girl and superhero-in-training. Calista Flockhart acts the heck out of her role and is delightful to watch.

There are lots of inside references. In the comics, Supergirl's city is never named; in the show, it's National City, a reference to DC's original name, National Publications. Many of the streets and at least one bridge are named after writers and illustrators from DC. When they went through getting Supergirl a costume, they went through several that had been in the comics in one form or another. (Oh, and they explained the need for a cape.) She rescues a kitten from a tree (except it's not a kitten).

Of course, Jimmy Olsen is now James, and he's not the freckle-faced cub from the comics or the movies.

We'll see where it goes, but right now it's an hour of lighthearted fun.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Black Books on Netflix. I've already been through the series twice on DVD from the library but I'm enjoying it much more this time. I wasn't sure I liked Bill Bailey that much the first times through but after seeing him on QI, Top Gear and a bunch of other stuff in the meantime I've become a big fan of his humor.

Star Trek: First Contact.

Another one I feel like I've at least partly seen before, but hadn't remembered 'till I watched. Apart from the early battle scenes, kind of felt like a long T.V. episode - but I did enjoy it, mostly.

I was a little irked at how quickly the Borg could start filling Enterprise with their technology - e.g. the stand-up re-charge (?) stations.

And ... time travel again. Sigh. Let's protect "the time line" by totally changing the experience of the people whose past we're trying to keep the same.

What I really don't understand, is what's so sacrosanct about the "one true 'time line'"? The premise always seems to be that history as known by the protagonists has to be retained. The assumption is always that any change has such a high chance of resulting in "bad stuff" that the "original" occurrences must occur at any cost. Much like Homer Simpson and his Toaster cum Time Machine squashing a bug, making all sorts of weird stuff happen in his present.

I get that they wanted "first contact" and the ensuing peace to occur - but what really was the issue with Enterprise then saying "hi Vulcans, we're from the future, see you there". Or even - leaving more technology behind to help humanity get a kick-start? Oh no, that would lead to the 4th World war and we'd all be dead.

(P.S. and if time travel is so easy, why not use it all over the place? Oh, the Borg destroyed the colony on Planet Omicron Persei 8? Well, lets just time travel the fleet back to the day before the attack.)

Having said that, I'm now an increment closer to accepting time travel - and changing of known history - as used in the Star Trek re-boot movies.
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2015-Nov-07 at 10:17 PM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

(P.S. and if time travel is so easy, why not use it all over the place? Oh, the Borg destroyed the colony on Planet Omicron Persei 8? Well, lets just time travel the fleet back to the day before the attack.)

The "problem" with time travel in Trek is that you pretty well have to accept that the above is true. It explains just about anything that's inconsistent and lets you do anything you want - even making horrible "reboots" with no original story lines and way too many flare effects.

CJSF
    "Find a way to show what would happen
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"
    -They Might Be Giants, "Put It To The Test"

lonelybirder.org

Murdoch Mysteries aka The Artful Detective

Fun detective series set from 1895 onwards into the early Edwardian era in Toronto, Canada.

Lots of clever technological anachronisms, but staying on the "hmmm, maybe" side of historical fiction, not the "no freaking way" steampunk genre.

Oooh. I love Murdoch Mysteries! Although the non-technical anachronisms get a little out of hand in later seasons, the rest of it more than makes up for that.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

My wife's a huge fan of Murdoch Mysteries. She might have a bit of a crush on the lead actor, but I'm not one to pry.

I admit I like his demeanor. He's not a hard-bitten alcoholic detective. He's not a foul-mouthed violent one either. He's just a competent, courteous, open-minded, well-mannered gentleman who always gets his man.

It's absolutely refreshing.

I'm a huge George Crabtree fan, myself. Though

*SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WATCHING THE SHOW* (highlight to read)
    I have hard time seeing him as a full Detective - his role as a constable and how he plays off the other characters is what defines him.

CJSF
    If you were incorrect
    A fact is just a fantasy
    Unless it can be checked
    Make a test
    Test it out"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    Oooh. I love Murdoch Mysteries! Although the non-technical anachronisms get a little out of hand in later seasons, the rest of it more than makes up for that.

CJSF
    There's two series, one with Peter Outerbridge as Murdoch and the other with Yannick Bisson.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386955/

If you like Yannick he did a great series called Nothing Too Good For a Cowboy set in the BC Chilcotin area not far from where I grew up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386955/