Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: *Evidence* that our universe is a simulation

I was also wondering if we're being simulated, would there be any way to detect the source code, or would that be like trying to detect an alternate universe?
    You'll find a copyright notice encoded in pi

Maybe this universe is a computer program designed to find the question...
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, this is a weather simulation.
    That would actually be the most sensible answer, if it was true. We're probably just a byproduct of something serving a different purpose. Let's hope the program doesn't run to completion.

Well, according to Doug Adams , the answer is 47 .

... 42

IIRC, 47 was from the post-original Star Trek series.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

To misquote Plan Nine from Outer Space, "Simulations? Why, that would imply Simulators."

The possibility of simulated universes was given considerable, uh, consideration in both The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos [2011] by Brian Greene and The Book of Universes [2011] by John D. Barrow.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I worked with a physicist who argued that the screw up in the twice delayed Hubble optics was a flaw inserted to limit our vision while the creators of our imaginary world scrambled to add enough servers to simulate more redshifted distance at high resolution
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I worked with a physicist who argued that the screw up in the twice delayed Hubble optics was a flaw inserted to limit our vision while the creators of our imaginary world scrambled to add enough servers to simulate more redshifted distance at high resolution
    Would that also explain the glitches at the LHC?

Up-up, down-down, left-right, left-right, B, A.
    Up-up, down-down, left-right, left-right, B, A!
    Up-up, Down-down! Left-right! Left-right! B! A!

Konami! Why have thou forsaken me!
    Solfe

Obviously it is a simulation, would this place exist in a real universe?

If we live in a simulation, it wouls solve a lot of current problems:
    - why the universe seems fine-tuned for life (6 simple numbers)
    - DNA and RNA's complex structure
    - sudden appearance of life on earth
    - intelligent design

and many more...

Quote Originally Posted by iquestor View Post
    Well, life is here to ask that question so... The universe seems fine tuned for life because life evolved to fit in with it. Essentially you are being amazed that a cake baked in a cake tin is amazingly cake tin shaped.
    Evolution does that just fine
    Wasn't that sudden - there was time for complex chemical interactions to build up to it.
    - intelligent design
    There isn't any. Evolution is not intelligent, does not look intelligent and need no intelligence beyond that of an adaptive network.

Us being in a simulation would solve precisely nothing. The universe of the people making the simulation would likely have all the above problems or similar.

If we live in a simulation, it wouls solve a lot of current problems:
    - intelligent design

and many more...
    So in the "real" Universe in which this one is simulated:

Is their Universe not "fine-tuned" for life?
    Is their DNA and RNA (equivalent) structure not complex?
    Is their appearance of life on their planet not "sudden"? (Whatever that means)
    Were they "intelligently designed"?

Or in reverse, are all these things in their Universe more complex?

Sorry, I don't buy it for a second. Doesn't "answer" a thing.

(Hope you weren't being humerous, if so, it went right over my head.)
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2012-Oct-19 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Lif->Life (and say "darn, 1 minute too slow!")
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Yeah, yeah, right, right. Okay.

- intelligent design
    For most of the lifespan of the Earth, biological organisms were simple in the extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    You'll find a copyright notice encoded in pi
    Obligatory XKCD link

Quote Originally Posted by starcanuck64 View Post
    For most of the lifespan of the Earth, biological organisms were simple in the extreme.
    For a given definition of simple . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ravens_cry View Post
    To misquote Plan Nine from Outer Space, "Simulations? Why, that would imply Simulators."
    To misquote Sinister Urge, "That can't be a simulation! No way! Nuh-uh!"

I'm not sure that the upper universe has to add processing power to run our simulation. It can just run our sim at a slower speed to make up for equivalent or higher complexity. This has been done experimentally on computers in our reality, IIRC.

I've said before that the simulation explanation may help explain why I remember things before they happen. Unless this is a dream. Which makes me think this concept predates humans and has been around since sapient animals started having and remembering dreams. Or mind-altering drugs. I don't take 'em, but someone could have slipped me a mickey and you're all just figments of my hallucination.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
    To misquote Sinister Urge, "That can't be a simulation! No way! Nuh-uh!"
    Perhaps, but if it is, it does, unless I seriously misunderstand what is meant by a 'simulation' in this context.
    It wouldn't be the first time I have been mislead by familiarity.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

There is an interesting result that certain classes of cellular automata are isomorphic to universes based on particle physics if seen from "the inside".

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    I'm not sure that the upper universe has to add processing power to run our simulation. It can just run our sim at a slower speed to make up for equivalent or higher complexity.
    You nailed it. Our simulation is being handled on pen and paper over a very long time. Maybe typing this just gave an intern a wrist cramp...

Quote Originally Posted by JCoyote View Post
    You nailed it. Our simulation is being handled on pen and paper over a very long time. Maybe typing this just gave an intern a wrist cramp...
    "Your universe's primary particles all meet at a tavern..."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Gods, I hope we aren't playing FATAL.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
    So who created the simulation? What universe do they live in? Is that universe also a simulation?

Turtles all the way down, indeed.
    It could be us, from the future. Or mean AI machines we are at war with, in the future. But I think simulation created itself. The key is in infinity, with so much time and space it really ought to happen, at some point, and we just happen to be aware of it now in this way we are, or so it would seem.

to clarify, I am not saying I beleive 100% our universe is a simulation, Im just saying it provides easy answers to a lot of questions.

Well, life is here to ask that question so... The universe seems fine tuned for life because life evolved to fit in with it. Essentially you are being amazed that a cake baked in a cake tin is amazingly cake tin shaped.
    I wouldn't agree with that analogy. Just because we are life and are "here" doesn't really satisfy why the universe seems especially tuned for life, especially in light of the fact we havent seen anyone else around. Is it tuned for one small planet to form life 9 billion years after the BB? that doesn't seem fine tuned to me. If we were a simulation then those and other physical constants could be the starting parameters for a simulation.

Evolution does that just fine
    again, its a big controvery of how such a complex molecule such as RNA and DNA formed. I am not arguing evolution didnt result in RNA and DNA, only that a simulation universe provides a quick answer.

Wasn't that sudden - there was time for complex chemical interactions to build up to it.
    it was almost "embarrasingly sudden" to quote one scientist. As soon as the earth was fit for life, life seemed to appear.

There isn't any. Evolution is not intelligent, does not look intelligent and need no intelligence beyond that of an adaptive network.
    If this were a simulation there would be. simulations imply simulators. it resolves that debate.

Us being in a simulation would solve precisely nothing. The universe of the people making the simulation would likely have all the above problems or similar.
    It would provide quick and easy answers to a lot of our questions. if it were true, we cannot know anything about the simulators universe and cannot impy or infer it would be anything like our own.

I wouldn't agree with that analogy. Just because we are life and are "here" doesn't really satisfy why the universe seems especially tuned for life, especially in light of the fact we havent seen anyone else around. Is it tuned for one small planet to form life 9 billion years after the BB? that doesn't seem fine tuned to me. If we were a simulation then those and other physical constants could be the starting parameters for a simulation.
    I agree, and it's easy for me to see that as even high probability, given enough time, space and combinatorial diversity of matter. What makes me faint, though, is if I keep thinking about why would anything exist to start with. Like space, why would there be some space in the first place? And time, where did that thing come from? What these to have together? But most importantly, why? Why?!? God or not, simulation or not, it's still the same question - why would ANYTHING exist to start with? It's just makes me wanna faint. Not to mention the damn thing seems to exist for like, FOR EVER. Forever, and how do you grasp that?

Infinity. It scares me, I have no clue how to even begin to understand it. It goes backwards and forwards in time, and it's infinitely large, but it's also infinitely small. Imagine that, infinite divisibility. Actually, if we are in some simulation, and it's digital machine as opposed to analog, our space would not be infinitely divisible but there would be some basic unit of the "grid" we are being simulated in. There would be some minimum distance things can move by, like pixel on the computer screen. This minimum distance or unit would define "resolution" of our world, so there might be frame-rate (FPS) limit as well, regarding time, and either of these two limits would resolve Zeno's paradox, I think. So having Plank scale and such our universe does seem to be digital, rather than continuous (infinitely divisible), which indeed is computer-like. Naturally we would expect space to be infinitely divisible, just like we expect it to be infinitely large, wouldn't we?

its a big controvery of how such a complex molecule such as RNA and DNA formed.
    No it isn't. The precise mechanism is not perfectly known but the basic principles are pretty well established. The only people who insist it is controversial tend to be trying to argue against evolution.

Just because we are life and are "here" doesn't really satisfy why the universe seems especially tuned for life, especially in light of the fact we havent seen anyone else around. Is it tuned for one small planet to form life 9 billion years after the BB? that doesn't seem fine tuned to me.
    Are you now saying the universe is NOT tuned for life?

it was almost "embarrasingly sudden" to quote one scientist.
    One scientist does not a consensus make. I'm a scientist and I say "It was not that sudden". Does this change your mind?

If this were a simulation there would be. simulations imply simulators. it resolves that debate.
    What debate? There is absolutely no evidence at all of ID. Any. External intelligence is not needed, not seen and basically not a factor in what we see.

It would provide quick and easy answers to a lot of our questions.
    No, it would simply replace them with a larger and less answerable question set.