Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Five Achievements you would like to see for the near [100 years] future.

Five Achievements you would like to see for the near [100 years] future.

Firstly, I hope I have this subject in the right section........If not a kind moderator/Administrator can fix up......

OK as the title suggests...This your list of 5 most desirable achievements/benefits for mankind you would like to see within the next 100 years or so.....

I have put these five dreams of mine in an order so that the achievement of [1], will go towards achieving [2] [3] [4] and [5]

[1] Elimination of all Wars and peaceful coexistence between all races and religions and a dropping of International boundaries as outlined and enforced today:

[2] Elimination of all hunger, Poverty and Unemployment:

[3] Funding to be no problem for all worthwhile sciences:

[4] The Greening and Cultivation of some of our World Deserts [excluding Antarctica] mainly for Food Production:

[5] The Solar System to be "occupied" by Humans throughout with numerous scientific bases on Moon, Mars, moon/s in the Jovian and Saturnian system, Asteroid Belt and near ready status to venture humanity out to the Stars.

OK, there you have it.
    Any errors alterations additions or corrections, please fell free to offer your thoughts on my dreams.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by ASTRO BOY View Post
    Firstly, I hope I have this subject in the right section........If not a kind moderator/Administrator can fix up......

OK as the title suggests...This your list of 5 most desirable achievements/benefits for mankind you would like to see within the next 100 years or so.....

I have put these five dreams of mine in an order so that the achievement of [1], will go towards achieving [2] [3] [4] and [5]

[1] Elimination of all Wars and peaceful coexistence between all races and religions and a dropping of International boundaries as outlined and enforced today:

[2] Elimination of all hunger, Poverty and Unemployment:

[3] Funding to be no problem for all worthwhile sciences:

[4] The Greening and Cultivation of some of our World Deserts [excluding Antarctica] mainly for Food Production:

[5] The Solar System to be "occupied" by Humans throughout with numerous scientific bases on Moon, Mars, moon/s in the Jovian and Saturnian system, Asteroid Belt and near ready status to venture humanity out to the Stars.

OK, there you have it.
    Any errors alterations additions or corrections, please fell free to offer your thoughts on my dreams.
    Within the bound of what we can discuss, I would like to see your number 4 occur and Mars terraformed and a TOE.

JOOC, why exclude Antarctica, and not other deserts?

I'm not sure I'm kind, but I can fix

The Astronomy Activism section is about promoting interest in Astronomy among the general public. I don't see the connection with your question, so I have moved the thread from there to OTB
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

1. Fuel alternatives that do not impact food sources. More green power generation such as wind and solar. This should utilize previously developed land rezoned for generation rather than new lands, where practical.
    2. More exploration of space and establishing permanent bases in various locations, at least to the same level of the ISS or Mir stations.
    3. Further exploration of the oceans, including development of new technologies for permanent bases.
    4. 30 hour work week.
    5. Reclamation of lands currently used waste and more aggressive clean up lands that were accidentally contaminated.
    Solfe

I'm going to ignore achievements in the humanities simply because even if they do come true, they can always come undone.

Scientifically:
    -room temperature superconductors
    -fusion for power generation
    -nearly 100% recycling
    -a moon colony and/or a space elevator (although I'm quite comfy here on Earth)

A lot of advances in medicine. Universal education.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Why do you want to eliminate peaceful coexistence? And does the dropping of international boundaries along with that mean a reduction in diversity and something arising like a Hive Mind?

Also, I think I've read that the deserts are useful habitats, and destroying them would mean destroying some species.

1 - a better government/world government/economy (but I can't go into details)
    2 - a space infrastructure that gives us a permanent space presence and economy
    3 - Commencement of Mars colonization and terraformation
    4 - fossil-fuel-less transportation with safe nuclear power with fuel breeding
    5 - delayed senescence of 100 years or more including a cure for cancer and other diseases and the suspended animation technology to allow people to live longer with less competition for resources
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

I think there's supposed to be a comma after "wars."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I utterly disagree with number four in the OP. Desserts are valuable ecosystems which must be preserved. Food production isnt the problem; distribution is. Also overpopulation.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Desserts are valuable ecosystems which must be preserved.
    Typo or joke?

Hmmm...not sure how many of the world's problems can be 'solved' in only 100 years, but I'll throw my .02 in:

1) Zero population growth. Reduction in population would be even better, but I'd like to see that happen naturally via attrition and not via wars, resource shortages, illness, etc. I suppose all of those could be considered attrition, I'd like to see it simply as we have less babies than folks passing away of natural causes.

2) Clean water, enough food, health care, education for everyone

3) The end to the horrific things women are subjected to worldwide - illicit sex trade, mutilation, gang rapes, killed for attending school, etc. - all that GONE.

4) End or drastically reduce fossil fuel consumption. Clean energy.

5) Much higher % of our society interested/involved in science. Much better understanding of science and the scientific method.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    JOOC, why exclude Antarctica, and not other deserts?

Good question...Other then I have been lucky enough to have flown over Antarctica with QANTAS [who I used to work for] and seen the awe inspiring beauty and unique wilderness, I don't really know.
    I suppose simply because I would hate to see it spoiled in anyway.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Why do you want to eliminate peaceful coexistence? And does the dropping of international boundaries along with that mean a reduction in diversity and something arising like a Hive Mind?

Poorly put by myself...Of course I would want to see complete peaceful co-existence and the elimination of national boundaries would be a possible outcome of that.
    ― Carl Sagan

Good question...Other then I have been lucky enough to have flown over Antarctica with QANTAS [who I used to work for] and seen the awe inspiring beauty and unique wilderness, I don't really know.
    I suppose simply because I would hate to see it spoiled in anyway.
    But destroying Monument Valley, for example, is okay because you haven't seen it? Watch a John Ford movie or any Western inspired by him.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    1 - a better government/world government/economy (but I can't go into details)
    2 - a space infrastructure that gives us a permanent space presence and economy
    3 - Commencement of Mars colonization and terraformation
    4 - fossil-fuel-less transportation with safe nuclear power with fuel breeding
    5 - delayed senescence of 100 years or more including a cure for cancer and other diseases and the suspended animation technology to allow people to live longer with less competition for resources
    Pretty much what mine are.

I don't see the reason to eliminate borders. Erase the lines and the people are still the same.

By way of example, there are no significant borders between Iowa and New York, but the people are different. The same goes for Ontario and Michigan. Try to say that a New Yorker and Iowan are the same and you get an argument. It would likely sound just like the complaints an American and Canadian would spout off when mistaken for each other.

Europe (or pretty much any place not in the western hemisphere) is a little tougher to hash out, they have a lot more history to distinguish groups.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    But destroying Monument Valley, for example, is okay because you haven't seen it? Watch a John Ford movie or any Western inspired by him.
    Monument Valley??
    I had to check that on the Internet...yes quite impressive but pales into insignificance to the stark beauty and grandeur of Antarctica...plus of course the Antarctic continent is a wheel in the cog of world weather behaviour...Pretty important.
    ― Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    Typo or joke?
    Nuts! I mess that up every time.

My wishful thinking:

1. General realization that dogma is everywhere and in all things, so that unlearning becomes as important as learning.
    2. Further realization that due diligence in truth-seeking is for all domains, not just one's field of endeavor.
    3. Engineers discover there is sometimes more than one, or no, good answer.
    4. Everyone else discovers they have to produce at least one good answer.
    5. Physicists and cosmologists realize that it's warp drive, stupid.* Promise that, you get bigtime budgets.

(meant as analogous to "it's the economy, stupid," and not as an insult, dear folks)

Monument Valley??
    I had to check that on the Internet...yes quite impressive but pales into insignificance to the stark beauty and grandeur of Antarctica...plus of course the Antarctic continent is a wheel in the cog of world weather behaviour...Pretty important.
    This shows you know very little about ecology and climatology. Or the history of trying to change ecology. Try looking into the history of the Dust Bowl. That came from trying to create an environment that we thought was helpful and in doing so destroying one that actually worked. And frankly, I find Monument Valley more breathtaking than large amounts of Antarctica.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Nuts! I mess that up every time.
    The mnemonic I learned was that you're in a hurry to get through a desert but linger over dessert.

"You can't erase icing."

The mnemonic I learned was that you're in a hurry to get through a desert but linger over dessert.
    Right, I'm using that one with my students. It actually comes up quite often. The first time, one of the bright Arabs, realising the cause of the mistake, said, "Sahara." I thought he was giving an example of a desert. It was much later that I realised he was giving the Arabic word for desert!

Linger over dessert. Must remember that one.

A quote from Thomas Edison

We are like tenant farmers chopping down the fence around our house for fuel when we should be using Nature's inexhaustible sources of energy — sun, wind and tide. ... I'd put my money on the sun and solar energy. What a source of power! I hope we don't have to wait until oil and coal run out before we tackle that. In conversation with Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone (1931); as quoted in Uncommon Friends : Life with Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Alexis Carrel & Charles Lindbergh (1987) by James Newton, p. 31

This shows you know very little about ecology and climatology. Or the history of trying to change ecology. Try looking into the history of the Dust Bowl. That came from trying to create an environment that we thought was helpful and in doing so destroying one that actually worked. And frankly, I find Monument Valley more breathtaking than large amounts of Antarctica.

That's OK...It's subjective anyway and I won't debate that point other then to say that Antarctica's weather is known to affect the world's climate.
    ― Carl Sagan

Should we limit our lists to the possible or is it "anything goes"?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Should we limit our lists to the possible or is it "anything goes"?
    Did you read the first post?

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here

Re: Five Achievements you would like to see for the near [100 years] future.

I'm just looking forward to Crossrail being completed.

That's OK...It's subjective anyway and I won't debate that point other then to say that Antarctica's weather is known to affect the world's climate.
    Yes. But the other deserts do, too.

"You can't erase icing."

1) Medical developments that render most disabilities (or aging related diseases) history.
    2) End of confinement to planet Earth (this doesn't mean giving up earth; rather, we need hard-learned lessons about ecological and environmental managements.)
    3) Major improvements over the biological body (sorry, our bodies are products of evolution, and humans can make significant improvements over it.) Artificial wombs are considered objectionable to "naturalists", ie. people who reject any artificial alternations of the human body; still, this will free women of much unneeded miseries.
    4) Considerable progresses on sustainable developments and population control.
    5) Growth of scientific reasoning.