Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Image counts

  1. #1

    Image counts

    When I go to "My Stats", there's a number named "TroyMc's images". (My account username is TroyMc.) Initially, I figured "TroyMc's images" must be the number of images I've marked up, but it seems lower than it should be. Right now that number is 26, but I'm pretty sure I've looked at more than 50 images.

    I know some images are test images, so those should be subtracted from the total. But surely half the images I looked at weren't test images...

    I've also noticed that I get shown the same images several times. I've maybe seen 10-20 images twice or more. So I suppose that might also help to account for my current image count.

    It says there are 6192 Vesta images, so I don't know why I keep seeing the same ones. It's not like there's a tiny set to pick from.

    I guess my two questions are:

    1) How often are test images shown?

    2) Why do I keep seeing the same images over and over again?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    265
    I forwarded your questions to the science/build team.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cordoba, Argentina
    Posts
    105
    I was having the same impression what TroyMc the other day.
    Last edited by Shigeru; 2013-Feb-08 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Type error

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    171
    Are you sure it's exactly the same image? With MoonMappers, the images are 450x450 pixels and we set the edge overlap to be something like 30 pixels (7% overlap). But from what I recall, the Vesta folks have a MUCH larger overlap to make even more sure that objects are positively identified.

    That said, I know there was a bug early on with MoonMappers where sometimes people could see the same image twice. If you're sure that you're seeing the same image again, I can message the programmers and ask (I don't have access to the Vesta data since I'm not on that team and can't check the database myself to see if this is the case).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    44
    Hy to all, i noticed the same problem of trocmc and shigeru, i watched more images the counter "gonano's image" has signed ( about 1:10 o more), and these image come out twice or more the same image. This for vesta mappers program. Thanks to the team for your eventually reply.
    Cheers Gonano.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    265
    Hi gonano, I forwarded this to the science/build team.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cordoba, Argentina
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by astrostu View Post
    Are you sure it's exactly the same image? With MoonMappers, the images are 450x450 pixels and we set the edge overlap to be something like 30 pixels (7% overlap). But from what I recall, the Vesta folks have a MUCH larger overlap to make even more sure that objects are positively identified.

    That said, I know there was a bug early on with MoonMappers where sometimes people could see the same image twice. If you're sure that you're seeing the same image again, I can message the programmers and ask (I don't have access to the Vesta data since I'm not on that team and can't check the database myself to see if this is the case).
    I know what you are talking about and yes, in some cases you can notice what some images are overlapping with others (I love that because you can have a better mental picture of the whole) but in several occasions they are exactly the same, some boulders something chases me in my dreams

    About the counter, yes, I forgot to mention that but it's my case too, sometimes you work with ten pictures (for example) and the counter only goes up seven. I have 1300 images right now, but the real number is higher.

    Thanks to the team for their work, can't wait to see the things what they are preparing

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    44
    Thanks to Kmasterdo and Shigeru for their replies.
    I hope that the problems could be risolved.
    Cheers Gonano.

    P.S.
    Excuse me for my awfull English.
    Last edited by gonano; 2013-Feb-18 at 07:47 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    239
    Thank you for letting us know. I'll be working with the programmers over the next few days to see if we can narrow down the issue.

    With Vesta images, however, please be aware that you will see much more overlap than with the Moon. Since Vesta is a smaller body, the opportunities for overlap do happen more often. Also, the source images from the Moon are *much* larger in comparison to those of Vesta, so when they are broken down into images for the Mappers program, there are only a few (~100 if memory serves me right) pixels that are even able to be moved about, resulting in many images looking nearly exactly similar to one another.

    As far as the image counts go, I'll look into the issue a bit deeper. We heard one report of it happening from another user and weren't able to replicate it, but if it's happening with a larger user base, there's something happening at some point.

    Thank you all for your feedback!

    Scott

    Quote Originally Posted by Shigeru View Post
    I know what you are talking about and yes, in some cases you can notice what some images are overlapping with others (I love that because you can have a better mental picture of the whole) but in several occasions they are exactly the same, some boulders something chases me in my dreams

    About the counter, yes, I forgot to mention that but it's my case too, sometimes you work with ten pictures (for example) and the counter only goes up seven. I have 1300 images right now, but the real number is higher.

    Thanks to the team for their work, can't wait to see the things what they are preparing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cordoba, Argentina
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    Thank you for letting us know. I'll be working with the programmers over the next few days to see if we can narrow down the issue.

    With Vesta images, however, please be aware that you will see much more overlap than with the Moon. Since Vesta is a smaller body, the opportunities for overlap do happen more often. Also, the source images from the Moon are *much* larger in comparison to those of Vesta, so when they are broken down into images for the Mappers program, there are only a few (~100 if memory serves me right) pixels that are even able to be moved about, resulting in many images looking nearly exactly similar to one another.

    As far as the image counts go, I'll look into the issue a bit deeper. We heard one report of it happening from another user and weren't able to replicate it, but if it's happening with a larger user base, there's something happening at some point.

    Thank you all for your feedback!

    Scott
    Not a problem at all! This is the way of science, even our tools need to be made and corrected

    Posting a link for my another thread related with this issue here just in case:
    http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthre...99#post2112999

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    I'm sorry to say that I have to add my voice to the "you can't make me log your images blues". So far the system is at least 30 +/- behind and getting further everyday. We wouldn't want our ego-boo to dry up. Best to all, keep counting. Dave H

Similar Threads

  1. What counts as non-mainstream?
    By iantresman in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 2006-Feb-21, 09:31 AM
  2. Post counts?
    By Kaptain K in forum Forum Introductions and Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2005-Sep-07, 10:16 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •