Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum rebuild [almost] complete!

Forum rebuild [almost] complete!

Hey all,

Cory and I spent many hours getting the forum restructured and rebuilt and we are completely done doing any code-level changes to the forum. There may be a few things that we need to tweak here and there in the settings, but the major tech issues that we were having have been completely resolved.

If there are anything that you're noticing isn't working properly the way it was before, please leave a reply here with that information so we can get it addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks for being a fantastic part of the forum!

Best,
    Scott
    (KnowTheCosmos)

Sorry I shoot too fast by two minutes and opened a new thread in the same subforum. May be you can merge it with this one

Nothing very dramatic , minor issues only.

And thanks for your work , I know what it is, having done this kind of job for enough years.

Everone shows up logged in as "Guest"...

--Dennis

I'm seeing that too. Let me ensure the usergroup settings are working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaDust View Post
    Everone shows up logged in as "Guest"...

--Dennis

User CP seems fine, only "Basic Information" shows up: N/A.

-- Dennis

As of right now I'm aware of the following glitches:

Everyone's coming up as guest.
    Picture does not show up in username field.
    Username is not clickable to get to profile.
    Tapatalk is not correctly configured.

These are all things that will be addressed in the next few hours as our team does need to get some sleep as it's nearly 0400 there and 0200 here. Please let me know if there are new things that pop up so we can get them fixed ASAP.

Thanks!

Scott
    (KnowTheCosmos)

Good night then! And Thank you Scott!

-- Dennis

Thanks for the work! I googled the guest issue and found this on the vbulletin forum, not sure if it's relevant, but it sounds like a similar issue:

All users show up as guests after import

It suggest to:

Update User Titles and Ranks tool in AdminCP > Maintenance > General Update Tools?

Another thing you can add: The "Potential Loss of Private Messages" thread can be unstickied.

Fred

Likewise the "*NOTICE* Changes in the forum" thread from the last go-round.

And add "Can't edit messages" to the list as well, also. It might be related to the "everyone showing up as Guest" problem.

Fred

Subscribed threads have been lost
    My PM's show I've got 114 stored, but they don't show up.
    I've apparently never started a topic here, since I was hoping to find a list of my old questions that I used to have saves as subscriptions. I assume that's the case with everyone.
    Before this update/reset, clicking on NEW POSTS would bring up everything that hadn't been read. Now it seems to be marking all threads read on each visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tog View Post
    Subscribed threads have been lost
    My PM's show I've got 114 stored, but they don't show up.
    I sent a single PM, and that message about the number stored disappeared. I now only show one, the one I sent.
    I've apparently never started a topic here, since I was hoping to find a list of my old questions that I used to have saves as subscriptions.
    You might be able to search by Threads Started, I'll check.

ETA: no, not yet. Search only seems to be indexed for recent posts. The index may have to be rebuilt.
    I assume that's the case with everyone.
    Before this update/reset, clicking on NEW POSTS would bring up everything that hadn't been read. Now it seems to be marking all threads read on each visit.
    Ah, yes, I noticed that too. Also, it treats my own posts as new posts, which it didn't before.
    Last edited by grapes; 2013-Feb-23 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Edit add

I've also noticed that all avatars and signatures are missing.

LookingSkyward is offline Honored Member
    Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    As is all of the info in the "about me" section of the profiles... edit to test...
    Last edited by LookingSkyward; 2013-Feb-23 at 07:06 PM.

I picked the wrong day to change my linux distro and browser...

In any event, I can't help but notice that hovering over names does not pop up the usual options like "PM, profile, etc.". It could be just me, but I am not sure.

SW of the town of Maricopa, AZ. This is in the southern Arizona desert.
    Let's see.
    "About me" didn't port.
    Pictures didn't port.
    Signatures didn't port.
    Smilies don't seem to work.
    AutoSave didn't work after log-out log-in sequence.

But, oh happy day, my PM's ported just fine.

Am I the only one to see the irony in this???

(This is truly ment to be tongue in cheek, but the smilies don't seem to be working.)

lol, all of the veterans and experts are gone! We've all regressed to guests.

Who will lead the community now.

EDIT:

OH? Nevermind, the names are showing normally for me now.

I believe I fixed a large chunk of the issue. Can anybody verify?

Thanks.

Scott

And my posts now have to be approved by a moderator.

This doesn't make me a happy camper.

(This is not meant to be tongue in cheek.)

Quote Originally Posted by KnowTheCosmos View Post
    I believe I fixed a large chunk of the issue. Can anybody verify?

Thanks.

Scott
    Which "chunk" did you fix???

My portrait "About Me" is still blank and Avatars are still missing.

And my posts still need to be approved by a moderator, dispite the fact that I am a Senior Member with over 1000 posts already.

And trying to post this message, I got a 'security token was missing' warning.

@ KnowTheCosmos

Well the forum change seems to have removed my old avatar, but aside for that things seem to work again.

EDIT:
    To clarify, I re-added my avatar myself.
    Last edited by Philippe Lemay; 2013-Feb-23 at 07:44 PM.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    I can edit my posts, but bio info in user profiles is still missing. And for started threads I see one in my profile... prettur sure I've started more than one - thanks for all the work, Scott & team, I know just how much fun rebuilding databases can be

I'm currently going through and rebuilding the username/usergroup fields by clearing out the forum cache and having the software scan through and repopulate those. It's a slow process, but they're currently being run as we speak.

I'm still looking into the issues of the avatars, about me sections, and why your permissions are wonky, though I'm seeing you down as a senior member. Once the two scrips I'm currently running are complete, I'll go in to see if there is a default that was triggered to make *all* users requiring moderation, which shouldn't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroRockHunter View Post
    Which "chunk" did you fix???

My portrait "About Me" is still blank and Avatars are still missing.

And my posts still need to be approved by a moderator, dispite the fact that I am a Senior Member with over 1000 posts already.

And trying to post this message, I got a 'security token was missing' warning.

Forum Welcomer Emeritus
    Thanks Scott. I for one really appreciate that you are engaged and working on the issues. Not the most fun way to spend a Saturday!

I only see a few avatars and can see ranks of posters. Hovering over names is working, as is the clickable options. My subscribed threads are still missing except for today's actions. My bio is all "N/A" and I haven't see a "Kilopi" today.

(Edit - Edit works too)

You're very welcome. We'll make sure everything gets resolved. Luckily (on the build team/moderator/admin end), many of the very large technical issues were resolved in the major rebuild, including the report feature and functionality. That is now working properly.

A lot of the issues that have sprung up seem to be due to cached settings, which are currently being flushed and rebuilt. I'll be here as long as I need to today getting things working.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingSkyward View Post
    Thanks Scott. I for one really appreciate that you are engaged and working on the issues. Not the most fun way to spend a Saturday!

Links are still nearly invisible in the default "red" skin.
    Earthly geology/volcano posts have not, as I think was promised, been moved from "geology and planetary surfaces" back to "science and technology". And posts in "geology and planetary surfaces are showing up in inverse order, oldest on top, or so it appears. I have to click the column heading for "last post by" a couple of times to get them in the right order.

The ordering should be an easy fix. Waiting for two scripts to finish processing and I'll look into default ordering of that child forum.

Thanks for your feedback on the links. I need to collaborate with the rest of ownership before I make executive decisions on any changes of the CosmoQuest "brand" or "look", but I think it's very important that making links easier to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Links are still nearly invisible in the default "red" skin.
    Earthly geology/volcano posts have not, as I think was promised, been moved from "geology and planetary surfaces" back to "science and technology". And posts in "geology and planetary surfaces are showing up in inverse order, oldest on top, or so it appears. I have to click the column heading for "last post by" a couple of times to get them in the right order.

I'll need to manually go through and push in the kilopi usergroup. That's a little lower on my priority list, but it's on there and will be completed today.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I only see a few avatars and can see ranks of posters. Hovering over names is working, as is the clickable options. My subscribed threads are still missing except for today's actions. My bio is all "N/A" and I haven't see a "Kilopi" today.

(Edit - Edit works too)

Good work, Scott.

I really do appreciate all the hard work you're putting into this transition.