Thread: Making Venus livable

Making Venus livable

The search feature does not seem to be working = garbage out. Before cooling Venus with solettas or sunshades, perhaps we should make the lowest elevations lower and/ bigger and connect higher elevation depressions to these low places with canals, pipes and/or tunnels. The low places need an impervious coating possibly by making the surface glass with H bombs. The glass need to be good thermal insulation, as the ground underneath may be warmer than 31 c for millions of years. Paul Birtch devised a plan for insulating the bottom surface of the carbon dioxide lakes but it is unkown to me. Now we arrange the sunshades so that they cool the bottoms of these low elevation depressions to about 30 degrees c. Since portions of the atmosphere will also get cooled, it will rain sulfuric acid into the lower depressions. In a few thousand years, 99% of the sulfuric acid will be out of the atmosphere. Next we cover the sulfuric acid lakes, so the carbon dioxide rain that will fall after more cooling won't mix with the sulfuric acid. When the air pressure drops to ten or twenty atmospheres, no more liquid carbon dioxide can be collected in the lowest depressions, so we will block the pipes, canals and tunnels so the higher elevation depressions, can fill with water, which will be delivered to the upper atmosphere by ice comets. The carbon dioxide lakes need an impervious cover so the water rain does not mix with the carbon dioxide. We need to keep the carbon dioxide cooler than 31 c as it boils at this temperature even if the pressure is many atmospheres. Long term refrigeration may be the best option. Now the atmosphere of Venus still has too much carbon dioxide, but we have reduced the problem, significantly and have stored a large quantity of carbon dioxide (and sulfuric acid) which may have a future customer. We will also need the Sun shades long term or Venus will reheat. Please correct, comment and or add details. Neil
    Last edited by neilzero; 2013-Feb-26 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Corrected sulfuric

Quote Originally Posted by neilzero View Post
    The search feature does not seem to be working = garbage out. Before cooling Venus with solettas or sunshades, perhaps we should make the lowest elevations lower and/ bigger and connect higher elevation depressions to these low places with canals, pipes and/or tunnels. The low places need an impervious coating possibly by making the surface glass with H bombs. The glass need to be good thermal insulation, as the ground underneath may be warmer than 31 c for millions of years. Paul Birtch devised a plan for insulating the bottom surface of the carbon dioxide lakes but it is unkown to me. Now we arrange the sunshades so that they cool the bottoms of these low elevation depressions to about 30 degrees c. Since portions of the atmosphere will also get cooled, it will rain sulferic acid into the lower depressions. In a few thousand years, 99% of the sulferic acid will be out of the atmosphere. Next we cover the sulferic acid lakes, so the carbon dioxide rain that will fall after more cooling won't mix with the sulferic acid. When the air pressure drops to ten or twenty atmospheres, no more liquid carbon dioxide can be collected in the lowest depressions, so we will block the pipes, canals and tunnels so the higher elevation depressions, can fill with water, which will be delivered to the upper atmosphere by ice comets. The carbon dioxide lakes need an impervious cover so the water rain does not mix with the carbon dioxide. We need to keep the carbon dioxide cooler than 31 c as it boils at this temperature even if the pressure is many atmospheres. Long term refrigeration may be the best option. Now the atmosphere of Venus still has too much carbon dioxide, but we have reduced the problem, significantly and have stored a large quantity of carbon dioxide (and sulferic acid) which may have a future customer. We will also need the Sun shades long term or Venus wil reheat. Please correct, comment and or add details. Neil
    A few thousand yeas? That's the big problem. What kind of human organization can last that long? The Chinese bureaucracy is the only thing we have today with that kind of lifetime, and they won't abandon character based writing!

A correction, it's 'sulfuric', not 'sulferic'. And I notice the spelling checker picks up the error.

I'm still in favor of moving Venus further out, if a stable orbit can be found.

Regards, John M.

I agree, too long, and Mars might take longer. Still we learn by starting the process, and the horrible side effects will be our grandchildren's problems. I suppose we can move both Mars and Venus one millimeter per year closer to Earth for less than one billion dollars. I'll guess we can halve the distance, before we become aware of the horrible side effects of too close, some people will panic before they move the first centimeter closer. Neil

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    A correction, it's 'sulfuric', not 'sulferic'. And I notice the spelling checker picks up the error.

Regards, John M.

I prefer "Sulphuric" which was the way I was taught at school.

Terraforming is a very long tedious project, unless of course we discover/invent a "Genesis" type of device as used in the second of the Star Trek movies.... :-)

Moving Venus would be an endeavour many magnitudes greater than terraforming the planet. Constructing a sunshade and diverting a few thousand ice-asteroids would be a vast endeavour, but moving the planet would require a constant application of thrust over thousands of years. Interestingly enough Paul Birch (mentioned by neilzero earlier) had a scheme for moving planets; you can read about his several ideas here
    http://www.orionsarm.com/page/442